Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Valar Morghulis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

loving beaten

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

Only real answer.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

The religions a death cult, so this

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Duty to our father, but also to our country.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

The religions a death cult, so this
Pfff, what serious religion isn't?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

Indeed so. The only difference is that he went naturally and not due to war crimes.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Sic transit gloria mundi

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
drat, Valar Morghulis is tempting, but we're a murderfamily, and The loss of the one who taught us murdercraft sorrows us deeply, but Duty first.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
sorrow is great, but I might still do my duty.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

AJ_Impy posted:

drat, Valar Morghulis is tempting, but we're a murderfamily, and The loss of the one who taught us murdercraft sorrows us deeply, but Duty first.

In that case go for the reply, valar dohaeris, all men must serve. :eng101:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ButtDoktor posted:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ButtDoktor posted:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
MIGHT still do our duty?

All men must die

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
sorrow is great, but I might still do my duty

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

This.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Sylphosaurus posted:

sorrow is great, but I might still do my duty

This.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

ButtDoktor posted:

:agreed:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

linall
Feb 1, 2007
We'll miss you murderdad, but your memory will be best served by putting the skills you taught us to use doing our duty.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
dad ded. so what

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Valar Morghulis

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You have seen enough of the world to know that nothing is eternal, be it nations, sentiments, or the lives of men.

There is no living thing in creation that does not die, and your father had been no exception. To have sunk yourself in pointless grief and self-pity over it would have been as useless as to rail against the sunset.

Your father is dead; you remember him, but you will not shame him by clinging pitifully to the last strands of his memory.

"Yes, I am quite all right," you reply, with only the barest hint of self-deception.

You turn in your saddle to see the source of the intrusion: a young man in the white and blue of the Lancers, lieutenant's pips fresh on his collar.

"His Majesty's compliments, sir," he reports as he offers you crisp a salute, one that you quickly return. His fingers reach into his jacket to hand you a piece of folded paper. "Your battle orders, sir."

With one hand, you take your fresh orders as you keep the reins in the other. Your thumb flicks open the wax seal with a practised motion. "Thank you, Lieutenant," you murmur as you begin to read. "Carry on."

You barely notice the lancer as he spurs his horse away. Images of the King's plan take shape in your mind as you read through the short, terse words outlining your duty. Thoughts of the battle to come push the lingering sentiments of your father from your mind.

Today, you will have rather more pressing concerns.

-5% Idealism

quote:

"The challenge we face today is a simple one, gentlemen," you announce to your officers as you lead your squadron off the road and into your position on the right flank of the army's formation. "Of course, simple does not mean easy."

The nature of that challenge is displayed in open daylight before your eyes; eight hundred paces before you, beyond a stretch of open ground, lies the remains of a vast camp. Khorobirit and his mighty army stayed there for nearly two years. Now, out of the vast arrays of tents and pavilions, only a small fraction remain: a skeleton of a camp to serve the skeleton of an army that Prince Khorobirit left behind to guard his route of supply.

"The enemy numbers three to four thousand," you continue, pointing at the dark shapes which crouch in readiness behind the spare earthworks surrounding the mostly abandoned camp. "That does not mean that they are to be dismissed. Even a greatly outnumbered force might still give us trouble. In any case, the Line Infantry and the Lancers will be the ones to see them off; we have a rather different job."

Your hand shifts, no longer pointing at the enemy or their camp but beyond, where the River Kharan flows swift and blue before the outskirts of the town of Mhillanovil. Your finger homes in on a series of low, rectangular shapes, moored to a makeshift dock on the near bank: barges, not the proper river barges so common on Tierran rivers but flat-bottom ferries moored to a line, each one loaded down with cargo heavy enough to make the ungainly craft sit low in the water.

"Those barges are our objective," you explain. "While the main body of our forces tie up the majority of the Antari, we are to pierce the enemy's defences at their extreme flank. The King wants whatever's on those barges, intact if possible, destroyed if necessary."

"We shall have to move swiftly then," Blaylock notes. "If this cargo is as valuable as it seems to be, the enemy will seek to deny it to us the moment we show any sign of getting our hands on it."

"I am rather more concerned with holding the ferry barges," Sandoral replies. "We shall be behind the main body of the enemy, and while our force as a whole outnumbers them, even a quarter could easily overwhelm us."

"The Lancers will be riding to support us as soon as they break through the enemy on our left," you answer. "We shall not be isolated for long."

Their orders explained and with all pressing matters addressed, you can do nothing but send your subordinates to their respective commands and make your last-minute preparations for battle.

I shall be wanting to fight this battle in armour.

No armour, not this time.

quote:

As of the Summer of the 610th year of the Old Imperial Era

Sir Alaric d'al Sancroix
Wealth: 50
Income: 0

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%
Health: 40%
Idealism: 50% Cynicism: 50%
Ruthlessness: 95% Mercy: 5%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear bane-hardened armour and wield a bane-runed sword.

You can speak, read, and write the Antari language.

Sixth Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff-sergeant Lanzerel

Discipline: 64%
Morale: 60%
Loyalty: 54%
Strength: 81%

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Not this time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Gotta go fast!

No armour.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

zero suit

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just our dress uniform

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lady Wells knows that gentlemen always wear protection

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
high speed low drag aint got time for armor

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hmm, speed mission with a river nearby. Leave the terminator suit behind.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Armour up.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
You'll be riding with your men, and not into a suicide mission? No armour. Can't have the lads thinking you're a coward.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A mission to take boats, you say?

Wear the armor, glub glub.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
If you chose the "I'm-a wear my armor, always and forever" option earlier in the game, is the option to not wear it in these choices unavailable (like how some options are unavailable if certain stats are too low/high)?

Anyway, let's not.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
wear it, we suck otherwise.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
What's more important, the mission or our pretty face? Wear the drat armor.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

We didn't get the armor just so it could sit around and collect dust. Wear it

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Not ten minutes later, the battle opens with the rolling thunder of cannon.

To your left, the three dozen artillery pieces of the King's division roar one by one, hurling smoke and fire and solid iron at the distant shapes of the enemy. Even from eight hundred paces away, you can see the great gouts of earth spray upwards as cannonballs skip off of the sloped frontage of the Antari trenches. Round shot is an ineffective weapon against earthworks, but it is a weapon to which the Antari have no answer; their guns are with Khorobirit in the south.

For a quarter of an hour, the bombardment continues, a futile gesture in material terms—despite the rare cannonball which finds itself driving through the body of an unlucky Antari peasant—it is at the Antari morale that each gun is truly aimed, an expression of superiority hammered home with every ball shot from a Tierran gun without even the faintest hint of challenge.

Then, the infantry go forward.

They seem endless, a tide of orange jackets, white gaiters, and burnished steel, despite the fact that the reasoning part of you knows that there were twice as many of them at Blogia. In their steadily advancing ranks, they seem invincible, though you remember that each battalion is made up of men no more or less fragile than any other. Still, as you feel the ground shake under their tread and the air fill with the cacophonous rattle of their drums, you find it so very easy to forget.

Then, cutting through the rattle of the infantry's drums and the echoes of the guns, there comes the silvery peals of a bugle, the instrument through which the cavalry—and only the cavalry—is commanded.

Your ears strain to hear the first triplet of notes, and then the next. Your mind translates music into words with a veteran ease. The command takes shape in your head. Your mouth goes dry, your hands tightening around the hilt of your sabre.

"Cavalry on the left flank: advance at the charge. Cavalry on the right flank: advance at the charge."

It is the order you have been waiting for.

"Squadron!" you shout, drawing your blade from its scabbard.

"At the walk! Advance!"

quote:

Even at the walk, it is not long before you find yourself passing the vast lines of infantry. Beyond the orange-jacketed mass, you can see the leading squadrons of the White Rose Lancers do the same, their sky-blue guidons held high as they close with a meagre mob of Antari horse, already sallying from behind the earthworks. With every passing second, the two forces pick up speed, accelerating towards a terminal clash.

A shout of alarm snaps your eyes away from the developing skirmish to your side. It seems you have more pressing matters; ahead of you, a small band of horsemen peel away from the main body of the Antari, bound not for the developing melee on the other flank but towards your own dragoons.

They number no more than three dozen, but even less than forty spirited horsemen could make no small amount of trouble, and enthusiasm is clearly something that these riders do not lack, their sabres already out and flashing in the summer sun. Their small, nimble horses carry them towards your dragoons faster and faster, making clear their desire to charge home.

There is no going around them, that is certain; they are already extending into a thin line, wide enough to make any detour impossible. No, you will have to fight through them.

The question is…how?

quote:

You could certainly ride right through them. If you were simply to use the weight of your numbers to bull through, you'd be in contact with the enemy for only a moment before brushing them aside. You'd risk only a few losses, but that would also leave the enemy horsemen free to make mischief among the friendly infantry now passing behind you.

Taking the time to come to grips with the enemy and rout them comprehensively presents its own problems. Whether by sabre, by carbine, or by clever manoeuvre, defeating the enemy horse would take time, a luxury which your orders do not provide you in great abundance.

The enemy cavalry are three hundred paces away and closing. Your squadron pounds towards them at the jog trot. How will you meet them?

We shall ride right through them.

I'll lure the enemy into their own destruction!

We can stop them with a good volley or two.

We shall meet them with the sabre and smash them quickly!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Our smarts is still our greatest asset, so let's use it. Lure them.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Doesn't seem like we have too much time for cunning maneuvers.

Just stop them with a volley or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ButtDoktor posted:

Doesn't seem like we have too much time for cunning maneuvers.

Just stop them with a volley or two

Can't volley while riding towards them. Gotta stop to volley, not so to Lure

• Locked thread