Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

AceClown posted:

Yeah they work fine in a reactor but the quest book wouldn't take the uranium, I did a cheat and delete on a couple of stacks tho so no harm done

I don't think they oredict well. I can try to find the spots where it detects it in the beta and tweak it. It looks like something actually changed there. I previously would try to run yellorite through a smeltery directly, and it would smelt into odd amounts that were much lower than the yield of just using a vanilla furnace. I didn't recommend the smeltery for yellorite for that reason.

Edit: I guess it's just the quest that asks for 64 ingots. I took care of it.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey is there actually some kind of conduit or pipe that actually can handle the steam and water throughput rates for Big Reactor turbines? My goto is tesseracts, but I was hoping not to pollute the channels in BFSR with it. I figured some pipes would also look more impressive, with some fine print explaining it would probably be easier and cheaper to use tesseracts instead.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey is there actually some kind of conduit or pipe that actually can handle the steam and water throughput rates for Big Reactor turbines? My goto is tesseracts, but I was hoping not to pollute the channels in BFSR with it. I figured some pipes would also look more impressive, with some fine print explaining it would probably be easier and cheaper to use tesseracts instead.

You could just use tesseracts with private channels.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I could think of possibly working are Extra Utils Transfer Pipes but I've never used the pipes themselves, just the Transfer Nodes, which can pull massive quantities of fluids.

..or an ME system with Extra Cells fluid transfer I guess.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I think top tier TE ducts have infinite throughput but I'd have to check the tooltip

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

*takes a chomp* posted:

The madpack 3 theme is "get back home!" Your quest is actually to reach the overworld. The game first starts you off in the dimensional hub, That links the different dimensions. It goes from Aether2 world, nether, candycraft, deep dark, etc etc. in each dimension there is a boss you must kill to advance to the next world. A little hint. The deep dark boss is straight out of a WoW raid. These packs have taken years to tweak and perfect.

Around the nether you get your EE transmutation tablet, and that's when pretty much the game kickstarts into higher gear. Playing with the texture pack isn't really necessary, there is a lot of twitch memes. But o recommend it due to the voice acting. And there really is no gimmick, going from madpack2 to madpack3. It's suppose to be fun easy and lite. No pressure from time, infernal mobs have been extensively tweaked and lycanite mobs have been updated and tweaked.

A couple of hints to start off with if you choose to. Gravitate armor is the tits. Clouds are dicks. And cloud parachutes are your friend when you need to travel far. Don't bother looking for flight, you won't even get close to getting it until later dimensions. And wood aether tools double the aether item drops.

I tried this for the hell of it, but the first world, the aether, is kind of terrible - I mean it's interesting enough, but the ore is disgustingly rare and the questlog wants you to find massive amounts of the rarest possible ore on the inconveniently flying islands that are fatal if you fall from them. I found a single gravitite ore without cheating and zero continuum orbs. After cheating past that part though, Aether2's dungeon, the slider labyrinth, is one of the weirdest and most interesting things I've ever seen on minecraft - that final boss sure was something :stare:.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 16, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Black Pants posted:

The only thing I could think of possibly working are Extra Utils Transfer Pipes but I've never used the pipes themselves, just the Transfer Nodes, which can pull massive quantities of fluids.

..or an ME system with Extra Cells fluid transfer I guess.

Extra Utils pipes are really slow compared to their nodes, unfortunately.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Any tips for killing the Shade of Leonard in Regrowth?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Heffer posted:

I think top tier TE ducts have infinite throughput but I'd have to check the tooltip

It's been a while so I could be wrong, but I think that's only true for the power conduits.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

superlaminar fluiduct also has infinite throughput, and vacuum warp itemducts are instant although will only suck their servo's-worth of items at a time

*takes a chomp*
Sep 4, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I tried this for the hell of it, but the first world, the aether, is kind of terrible - I mean it's interesting enough, but the ore is disgustingly rare and the questlog wants you to find massive amounts of the rarest possible ore on the inconveniently flying islands that are fatal if you fall from them. I found a single gravitite ore without cheating and zero continuum orbs. After cheating past that part though, Aether2's dungeon, the slider labyrinth, is one of the weirdest and most interesting things I've ever seen on minecraft - that final boss sure was something :stare:.

If you can trudge through the candy dimension, my least favorite, the pack gets a bit better. And if you thought that boss was interesting, he was just a intro.

the "arena" is loving huge. You can't miss it. And he's got multiple phases.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh hey finally a NH update. Other people should be able to make HV machines now(I got an updated jar file early). The HV part recipes were hosed up and required materials that needed a vacuum freezer to make... despite a vacuum freezer requiring HV parts.

...oh, the new recommended version is labeled "test", and there are no patch notes in the launcher. This does not bode well.

EDIT: OH BOY! It's the switch from HQM to Better Questing.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 16, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey finally a NH update. Other people should be able to make HV machines now(I got an updated jar file early). The HV part recipes were hosed up and required materials that needed a vacuum freezer to make... despite a vacuum freezer requiring HV parts.

...oh, the new recommended version is labeled "test", and there are no patch notes in the launcher. This does not bode well.

I know nothing about Better Questing - i'm guessing it's terrible from your reaction?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, it's good to see the Aether still sucks. It went from this super ambitious entirely alternate dimension with a million problems to a really boring cluster of floating islands with nothing really remarkable about it. The other dungeons appear to be gone and all the interesting items that were once scattered in various places are now a 1% drop off the final loving boss, who you have to first find a dungeon for, then fight three other bosses, then finally kill with a pick. So unless you feel like doing that multiple times (you won't) all those other items might as well not exist.

Candy Dimension was almost worse though? Like it looked great, very cute style, but it doesn't feel balanced or really even make sense once you really get into it. At least it was a bit of a smoother progression, the only really boring part was hunting down pigs to make the sugar factory out of candy canes and even then I overestimated how many I needed, and the Aether wood sword gives double drops which is pretty loving useful.
The dungeon sucks though. The bouncy jumping puzzle in the first room misled me into thinking it would be fun, but the Pez Jelly miniboss that you have to beat like 8-10 times is incredibly dumb and there doesn't seem to be any good way to fight it, and then the King Jelly I basically just popped one of those god-buff donuts and wrecked him.

Also I'm like 90% sure it wasn't supposed to have stone in it because the next chapter had a quest about getting cobblestone but stone was everywhere in the candy dimension, it seemed to generate normally while the candy equivalent (chocolate stone?) was only in large pockets.

I'm in the Nether now but I'm not too impressed because the first quest, which is blocking everything else, is to build BOTH variations on a "Pickappa", which like so much of this pack is an injoke about "celebrity" Minecraft players/modders. There's literally no explanation of why it's good or why I'd want it but from what I can tell the two picks are just really high durability but can't mine anything tougher than stone/netherrack, so that doesn't seem particularly worth the 2 gold blocks and 2 iron blocks they have you hunting to spend on that. At least now that you have access to regular materials you can make a grinder though, so you can get 4x ingots per nether ore blocks. And that means I'm almost to EE so maybe the pack will finally pick up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I'd be curious to know how it compares.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

the two picks are just really high durability but can't mine anything tougher than stone/netherrack, so that doesn't seem particularly worth the 2 gold blocks and 2 iron blocks they have you hunting to spend on that.

Given that this pack has "Veinminer on everything" turned on, this would actually be super helpful imo. build yourself a tiny cobble room or w/e and smack into the wall to expose every ore

The quest book is pretty poorly thought out, and the voice acting is exactly as bad as I assumed it would be, I like the idea, though, I just don't know why it started out with the most boring 2 dimensions.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

senae posted:

Given that this pack has "Veinminer on everything" turned on, this would actually be super helpful imo. build yourself a tiny cobble room or w/e and smack into the wall to expose every ore
I guess the bigger problem is that it takes out the floor, and also that the Nether has lava pockets everywhere. It's not that bad but it's around the time you get the Philosopher's stone anyway.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

I know nothing about Better Questing - i'm guessing it's terrible from your reaction?

As far as I've heard it's an improvement.

Problem is it's a completely new quest book so of course I'll have to cheat my way back to where I was in HQM.

Edit: oh a new non-test update hit the launcher. Mine & Blade battlegear 2 and Tinkers Defense. What useless garbage. Dual wielding in a game that has invincibility frames longer than your normal attack rate? Yeah, sure, that's totally useful. The shields are garbage too.
I even told them about this when they took a vote on it, but no, they didn't listen.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 17, 2016

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone really talked about just how bad candycraft is though?

Because gently caress candycraft.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wow, those look like the Candy Hills from Trove...only not nearly as pretty. And not just because Trove's graphics are better (since it's trying to be the Minecraft MMO ).

*takes a chomp*
Sep 4, 2006
If you guys are at the nether. It's pretty wise to go straight to bedrock and start tearing away at the nether rack with the high durability picks. Lava isn't a problem with the aether healing stones. The regen pretty much negates the lava dmg. Finding diamond ore in the nether is a bitch too.

The problem with candycraft and aethercraft is the dev dropped off the face of the planet while 3/4th the pack was being done. It was a bit too late for him to scratch those off the list. The madpack3 is suppose to be a lite "en mass" friendly version of madpack2. If you are finding it boring and not challenging enough, I suggest try madpack2. It's a lot more polished and a lot more "on your toes"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well okay, so far my experience with Better Questing is less than stellar. I have to use NEI and Creative mode to cheat my way through quests as it seems the command to force quests to be completed doesn't really work. The quest is marked as complete but you can't claim the rewards. The reset command doesn't do ANYTHING. Also to use either of those commands you need the quest ID, which is only listed in the json file. There is no GUI button or function to complete quests when in edit mode, and edit mode is FULL EDIT MODE, not just cheat mode like HQM's "/hqm edit" cheaty book.

Maybe I just started using the mod at the wrong time, though. The author just posted like yesterday that there's a major feature update and the mod will be buggy for a while.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Madpack 3 Update: In the Nether. Finally got Philosopher's Stone + Transmutation tablet. Not actually having any more fun than before. At least my storage is lighter now.
It is nice that I finally have a use for my Aether coins though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Found the quest. I didn't explain how to use the thing at all, that's for sure. Did you try shift-right-clicking with it hand? For me, it starts to glow and then poop out torches from my inventory. No staff necessary.

doesn't work for me (do the torches have to be somewhere in the inventory? a certain kind of torch) and one of the answers i got on google was "it only uses the torches that the sojourner's staff has eaten"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh, it looks like Better Questing does not give modpack authors the ability to update the questbook in a pack. Once a world is made, BQ doesn't care about the json file in the config directory and exclusively uses the json file in your saves, which ALSO tracks completion data and thus can't be edited easily by copypasting sections from a new base json file.

This is really really bad.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

So uh, it looks like Better Questing does not give modpack authors the ability to update the questbook in a pack. Once a world is made, BQ doesn't care about the json file in the config directory and exclusively uses the json file in your saves, which ALSO tracks completion data and thus can't be edited easily by copypasting sections from a new base json file.

That is one thing I do have to concede to HQM. It has managed to keep integrity while I have made some serious edits.

Anyways, do go on. :allears:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That is one thing I do have to concede to HQM. It has managed to keep integrity while I have made some serious edits.

Anyways, do go on. :allears:

HAH. I thought I edited the save's json file properly, but nope. BQ's reaction to a bad file? Blank quest book, and it deletes basically all of your json file so you can't just fix the problem.

Good thing I backed it up.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

I guess this makes sense if the author wanted to avoid the quest book resetting that happens when people update HQM books, but now you can't update the book without making a new world so uhh, good job?

Hey Shukaro, how's your quest replacement thingy coming along? :v:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I guess this makes sense if the author wanted to avoid the quest book resetting that happens when people update HQM books, but now you can't update the book without making a new world so uhh, good job?

Hey Shukaro, how's your quest replacement thingy coming along? :v:

HQM books generally don't reset when updated. If they do, something went wrong.

Also, you can easily update your BQ book by replacing your save's json file with the updated json file but that erases all your progress since a new json file won't have any progress indicators. The only way to update it while retaining progress, as far as I know, is to edit the save's json file manually.
Edit: yeah, the dev confirmed this. There's no way to import progress currently, though he's thinking about adding a tool to do that later. I would suggest people stick with HQM until BQ can update its questbook without requiring lengthy user intervention.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 18, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, I'm checking out Skyfactory 2.5. Kitchen sink skyblock, like Infinity Evolved Skyblock, but without quite so many mods - or all the "Expert Mode" crap. No IC2/BC/Forestry/Railcraft to bloat the pack. It also has Garden of Glass as well so you can mix and match your skyblock advancement. The Void World world gen us literally just you on top of a tree on top of a block of dirt, though, so I recommend using the GoG worldgen type so you have an actual starting platform.

I did disable Decocraft, Hats, HatStand, Ding, and Audio Death, though. Removing the first three bought the RAM usage down by a gig and a half (why are these so goddamn RAM hungry?) Ding and Audio Death were being used to playing really terrible audio files.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

HQM books generally don't reset when updated. If they do, something went wrong.

I know they're not supposed to, but it seems like every time one of the HQM packs this thread loves updates somebody has a problem with their progress getting reset. It's a bug, but it's a pretty persistent one.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Serifina posted:

So, I'm checking out Skyfactory 2.5. Kitchen sink skyblock, like Infinity Evolved Skyblock, but without quite so many mods - or all the "Expert Mode" crap. No IC2/BC/Forestry/Railcraft to bloat the pack. It also has Garden of Glass as well so you can mix and match your skyblock advancement. The Void World world gen us literally just you on top of a tree on top of a block of dirt, though, so I recommend using the GoG worldgen type so you have an actual starting platform.

I did disable Decocraft, Hats, HatStand, Ding, and Audio Death, though. Removing the first three bought the RAM usage down by a gig and a half (why are these so goddamn RAM hungry?) Ding and Audio Death were being used to playing really terrible audio files.

Is that the one i quit when i mistakenly planted a mega rubber tree in the middle of my base? so when it grew i lost everything? If it is, dont plant the sacred/mega rubber trees unless they are in their own chunk.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Meskhenet posted:

dont plant the sacred/mega rubber trees

Just don't do it. In any chunk. In any pack. :v:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

Is that the one i quit when i mistakenly planted a mega rubber tree in the middle of my base? so when it grew i lost everything? If it is, dont plant the sacred/mega rubber trees unless they are in their own chunk.

Yeah, I don't touch those. My poor computer would collapse under the weight.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

escalator dropdown posted:

Just don't do it. In any chunk. In any pack. :v:

If I remember the story, he said that one of the rubber trees in his rubber tree farm dropped one and it got autoplanted.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I've been using them in To the Core to generate biological matter for the coal producing machines. One of them can fill most of a golden bag of holding with logs and saplings. It was all going fine until I chopped one down without full hunger saturation, and instantly starved to death.

On a related note, does anyone know of a trick for getting nether stars in that pack? I could kill a wither, but the only way to get wither skeleton skulls involves using regular skeleton skulls, and there's no way I'm collecting 24 of those.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

I've been using them in To the Core to generate biological matter for the coal producing machines. One of them can fill most of a golden bag of holding with logs and saplings. It was all going fine until I chopped one down without full hunger saturation, and instantly starved to death.

On a related note, does anyone know of a trick for getting nether stars in that pack? I could kill a wither, but the only way to get wither skeleton skulls involves using regular skeleton skulls, and there's no way I'm collecting 24 of those.

cant you get a sword with 100% beheading?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

If I remember the story, he said that one of the rubber trees in his rubber tree farm dropped one and it got autoplanted.

Wow, I didn't think the special versions of rubber trees could drop from normal trees, I thought they were only obtainable via dungeon loot. Is that a skyfactory thing or is it just some minuscule chance I've never seen, because I absolutely autofarm rubber trees all the dang time.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Thankfully it's a simple thing to handle as they're a different item than the normal rubber tree. As long as your Planter has all their slots filled with dirt + normal rubber trees and you have it set to not take all items, you can never inadvertently plant a sacred rubber tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
does BFSR have any machines that can pull bodies of liquid out of the world and into containers/machines/tanks/etc

got some lakes of sewage around my base i'd like to get rid of