Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Oh my gentlemen, what a wonderful time we had on the blood-stained streets of Los Santos.

From the backstreets of Vespucci Beach to the shores of River Zancudo, the PC Crew spread chaos and discord wherever we went. Every event from the frantic motorcycle battle above San Andreas in FUNnel Derby to the cool and mostly chill yacht party on Wolff's exclusive yacht we shared in exuberant mirth and excitement. You gentlemen are the best and are what makes this game still so much fun to play! :hehe: :hf: :jihad:

Just a few pictures from the yacht party I thought i'd post...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Just gonna echo what everyone else has said, tonight was a total blast. Good times with the PC Krew, thanks to everyone who showed up and joined in. I've never seen that many Goons online messing around in the entire time I've been playing this game :h:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

good times dudes

meth wagon

THE PIT

wish you could see the middle finger in the background better in this one:

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Return of The Goonbus

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

pls dont smoke around the precursors they are incredibly volatile.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Jetski Tuxedo would make an amazing R* name if anybody wondered.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Looks like a good time last night, sorry I missed it ya'll - it was my anniversary!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

hellfaucet posted:

Looks like a good time last night, sorry I missed it ya'll - it was my anniversary!

aww happy anniversary goonbro :3:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What made everyone come out to play last night? Aside from a few new voices most cycle in and out for a few weeks every few weeks. It was super rad having most everyone together at once.

Was it just a serendipitous evening destined to show us how 16 seat vehicles are broken?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I finally got my internet fixed, so I was able to get in on a little bit of goon fun. But because I wasn't on mumble, I got left with a bunch of hacking pubbies, which was fun in its own way. I'll be back on tonight if the wife doesn't wanna watch a movie or something.

e: just checked the OP, there's no info on which mumble server to use. Can someone post that info?

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 19, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

GOD IS BED posted:

e: just checked the OP, there's no info on which mumble server to use. Can someone post that info?

Go to Private Games Servers subforum and find the Camping The Stairs thread. It's not posted here for privacy.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

GOD IS BED posted:

I finally got my internet fixed, so I was able to get in on a little bit of goon fun. But because I wasn't on mumble, I got left with a bunch of hacking pubbies, which was fun in its own way. I'll be back on tonight if the wife doesn't wanna watch a movie or something.

The link in the OP tells you everything you need to know, not posting the info here because PGS is behind the paywall for a reason.

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

mr_dread_struggling_to_locate_his_luxury_apartment.gif
This is accurate

jesus christ why couldn't I find it I felt so stupid. It's not like I've had the Weazel Plaza place since the game launched 3 years ago or anything.

titties fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 19, 2016

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zigmidge posted:

Go to Private Games Servers subforum and find the Camping The Stairs thread. It's not posted here for privacy.

Pound_Coin posted:

Between roughly 10pm - 4am GMT, jump on CTS mumble

:shrug:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

uh

titties
May 10, 2012

I can't tell if it is you or buckshot or me but in this scenario one of us is dumb as hell I think

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

titties posted:

I can't tell if it is you or buckshot or me but in this scenario one of us is dumb as hell I think

It's me! It's me! I'm the dumb one!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

titties posted:

No need to pick. The three of us do still play this game, after all.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

No need to pick. The three of us do still play this game, after all.

we might be dumb as hell but you can't say we aren't helpful :downs:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Do you think they're going to support GTA5 until GTA6 comes out?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Golden Bee posted:

Not sure what you mean by support but the GTA IV multiplayer servers are still up.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Golden Bee posted:

Absolutely. GTA Online has become Rockstar's biggest money maker thanks to the microtransactions. They're going to probably provide free DLC until GTA6.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CascadeBeta posted:

Absolutely. GTA Online has become Rockstar's biggest money maker thanks to the microtransactions. They're going to probably provide free DLC until GTA6.

Unfortunately, most of them will be new adversary modes.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Drop Zone and Sumo made me admit that adversary modes are good.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
There have been rumors of singleplayer DLC......

http://www.geek.com/games/gtav-story-dlc-set-to-have-a-new-protagonist-setting-and-features-1652966/

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

e: I will post a banme before I participate in this stupid topic again. Instead, have a cathartic article expressing our thoughts and emotions about story DLC. Emphasis mine.

Forbes Magazine Opinion posted:

It Is Insane There Is No Story DLC For 65 Million Copies Of 'GTA 5'

Paul Tassi , CONTRIBUTOR

On an earnings call yesterday, Take-Two announced that sales numbers for Grand Theft Auto V continue to climb ever higher, as the game has now shipped 65 million copies since its original release in 2013. That’s up from 60 million by last count, and it is the fourth best-selling game of all time, just behind the (much cheaper) Minecraft’s 73 million sold.

The top two may never be caught, as one is Wii Sports which shipped with almost every Wii (hence 82.7 million copies “sold”) and #1 is Tetris, a game that’s been released for every electronic platform throughout history including mobile phones and graphing calculators, and has allegedly 495 million downloads/paid sales.

But in terms of major, full-priced AAA releases, nothing else is even close to GTA 5. That’s more than double even a megahit like Diablo 3. It’s more than the last three Call of Duty games combined. It’s a success story like no other in the industry.

So why does it feel like Rockstar is still leaving money on the table?

Despite 65 million units shipped across PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4, there has been no story DLC released for GTA 5, nor does it look like there ever will be. Once upon a time, Rockstar was content to say “it’s coming,” but now, it seems unlikely it’s being worked on at all, because the developer has other priorities.

The main reason as to why there’s no story DLC is obvious to anyone following the trajectory of the game. Rockstar has solely devoted themselves to supply a never-ending stream of microtransactions to GTA Online, the MMO-ish portion of the game where players can create their own characters, and earn money from jobs to buy new houses and cars and clothes. But of course, there’s a shortcut that allows players to simply purchase virtual funds with real-life currency, and that’s where the money comes rolling in.

Ex-Rockstar executive Leslie Benzies is currently suing the developer, saying he was cut out of his share of the massive profits of GTA. In that lawsuit, he specifically says that GTA Online has brought in $500M in revenue from its microtransactions, which is an absolutely stunning figure. Compare that to say, Halo 5 bringing in $1.5M in revenue from selling its REQ packs of cosmetics and gear. It’s not even close.

I am not here to say that Rockstar should abandon what they’re doing with GTA Online. It’s a constant revenue stream, and clearly a very, very lucrative one. And yet with this game selling so many copies, it’s on an entirely different level from all other titles, and regardless of how well GTA Online is performing, Rockstar is leaving an exorbitant amount of money on the table by refusing to make single player story DLC for GTA 5.

The issue is that these are two different kinds of players. Yes, there is probably some overlap between those who play GTA Online and those who enjoyed the story campaign, hence why selling story DLC would probably hook the type of people who are still engaged with the game through Online, above and beyond what they’re spending on microtransactions. But there is also a group that has had zero interest in GTA Online, and they sunk ~30-80 hours into the story, and simply let the game go afterward.

That is why Rockstar should be making story DLC, to get those kinds of people back.

Fallout 4’s Far Harbor DLC comes out today, and costs $25. Knowing Rockstar’s history, they could make something three times as involved as Far Harbor and sell it for the same price. Obviously some percentage of the 65 million are going to buy that, and even if it’s, what 5-20 million? That’s anywhere from $125 million to $500 million in revenue, just from one piece of story DLC.

But that’s not all. New DLC could easily drive new purchases of the game itself. Remember, there are many, many people who bought the game when it was originally released for 360 and PS3, and since they’d already beaten it by the time the next-gen PS4, XB1 and PC version came out, they weren’t going to re-buy it just for a graphical bump and first person mode.

However, start selling a $60 remastered version of the game that includes that $25 DLC, and suddenly you’re giving them a big reason to play the game again, and the desire to re-buy it. I certainly would. With that tactic, I would not be surprised if the game could push itself past Minecraft and have it creep into Wii Sports territory, depending on how appealing the DLC was.

I understand that creating new cars and clothes and such to sell on GTA Online is a more attractive prospect. New story DLC requires a lot more work from mission design to voicework and would be more expensive and timely to develop. But with that said, Rockstar is in an entirely unique position with this many copies of the game sold. If this was a game where story DLC didn’t make sense, or Rockstar had a poor history developing DLC, I would understand, but the exact opposite is the case. GTA 5 is a story that could easily span several more chapters and Rockstar has developed some of the best, most-beloved DLC in history for this franchise specifically.

Rockstar is in the rare situation where it can have its cake and eat it too. It can keep raking in revenue from the microtransactions GTA Online, but it can also make a ton of money and drive more sales of the base game through story DLC. It doesn’t have to, sure, as the publisher has already made more money than God with this game, but why would Take Two’s shareholders not want it to take every opportunity it has to further maximize GTA 5‘s potential? The opportunity to make new story DLC is so blindingly obvious that it’s absolutely insane it hasn’t happened already. But with so many copies of the game out in the wild, and a sequel still an eternity away, the moment has not passed, and Rockstar can still make this happen, if only it would try.

I'm sort of ambivalent about story DLC in terms of utility. On one hand, I really don't want to have anything to do with launch week gamers (you know what I mean) but on the other hand it would be more effective than anything we've all done to round up fun chill goons. On the third hand (my penis) who the gently caress doesn't want more story DLC I mean come on Rockstarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rollin' early with Buckshot.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

What made everyone come out to play last night? Aside from a few new voices most cycle in and out for a few weeks every few weeks. It was super rad having most everyone together at once.

Was it just a serendipitous evening destined to show us how 16 seat vehicles are broken?

For me it was just the culmination of all the interesting photos posted in the thread very recently followed by someone actually stating what time people are normally on. I figured if someone posts a specific time more people would be inclined to show up, so I tried to hit somewhere in that timeframe, even though I'm normally online later. Thankfully people hung around later into the evening so I was able to play more. It's good times but man I still hate how goddamn long it takes to go from opening the game to actually loading into something fun happening, and then the loads and hangups in between every activity. If people go to all the trouble of starting a private freeroam instance I wish there were more spontaneous things you could just do in the gameworld without having to send out invites and get people to load into some other activity just to get dumped back in the freeroam when you're done.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zigmidge posted:

e: I will post a banme before I participate in this stupid topic again. Instead, have a cathartic article expressing our thoughts and emotions about story DLC. Emphasis mine.

I'm sort of ambivalent about story DLC in terms of utility. On one hand, I really don't want to have anything to do with launch week gamers (you know what I mean) but on the other hand it would be more effective than anything we've all done to round up fun chill goons. On the third hand (my penis) who the gently caress doesn't want more story DLC I mean come on Rockstarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm not against more story DLC, because I'm not against things that don't really affect me. I also think that rockstar have their heads so far up their asses they think that only people with 100% would care to have new SP content. The pubbies in this game are morons, the only difference a launch week will give us is overall more players. On PS4, most of the time I see goons they're playing in private lobbies and playlists. Is there something fundamentally different about how PC is structured or PC crew plays where that's more of a concern?

------------------------------

Anyway, PS4 Friday night fun times?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

titties posted:

I felt so stupid.

Not as stupid as I felt in the heist, failing to correctly drive a route I've done lots of times, and then quitting instead of suiciding to reset :saddowns:

well I was tired and that sucked but at least you are queued up now

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Kaizoku posted:

On PS4, most of the time I see goons they're playing in private lobbies and playlists. Is there something fundamentally different about how PC is structured or PC crew plays where that's more of a concern?

Back around christmas time we all started groaning and pooping on people that wanted to move to a private mumble channel to go do a heist. We found it much more sociable to just hang together. GTA heists require a bare minimum of communication to begin with so, hey, lets shoot the poo poo instead. I guess you can call it a culture of not wanting to break up the band. It's nice when those locked into a 30min to 1hr heist can still hang and know whats' up with the rest of the crew so that it's easy to link back up. 4 4-man crews don't maintain the momentum like 1 16-man crew can.

The games themselves are basically identical across platforms.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zigmidge posted:

Back around christmas time we all started groaning and pooping on people that wanted to move to a private mumble channel to go do a heist. We found it much more sociable to just hang together. GTA heists require a bare minimum of communication to begin with so, hey, lets shoot the poo poo instead. I guess you can call it a culture of not wanting to break up the band. It's nice when those locked into a 30min to 1hr heist can still hang and know whats' up with the rest of the crew so that it's easy to link back up. 4 4-man crews don't maintain the momentum like 1 16-man crew can.

Oh, yeah, no, I get that and am all about it. I just wasn't sure if somehow pubbie exposure was higher on PC, I guess, since I don't see more people of any quality playing the game as having an effect on most goon's gameplay.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zigmidge posted:

the best is when you had two heist crews racing each other to complete parallel instances of the same heist

titties
May 10, 2012

Kaizoku posted:

On PS4, most of the time I see goons they're playing in private lobbies and playlists. Is there something fundamentally different about how PC is structured or PC crew plays where that's more of a concern?

------------------------------

Mostly we're friends / crew / invite because it can save a bit of loading time heisting from an invite-only session or because we're doing dumb poo poo like stacking buses or doing gnarly BMX jumps and pubbies just gently caress it up.

We can do something Friday night if you want. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

titties posted:

doing dumb poo poo like stacking buses or doing gnarly BMX jumps

Make more footage ps4 crew we wanna see this!

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Yes definitely that sounds awesome.

Also we got an invite session happening on PC if anyone wants to come kick it.
RSC: Jeffrey.jpg

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

titties posted:

Mostly we're friends / crew / invite because it can save a bit of loading time heisting from an invite-only session or because we're doing dumb poo poo like stacking buses or doing gnarly BMX jumps and pubbies just gently caress it up.

We can do something Friday night if you want. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I don't think the purpose of my question was worded properly there; one of the issues mentioned with New Story Content was the influx of players and I was curious if PC wasn't organized in a way that would render that into having a real effect on the PC crew.

I'll be down to do just about anything, just wanted to plant the seed that Friday might be a good night to play.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kaizoku posted:

I don't think the purpose of my question was worded properly there; one of the issues mentioned with New Story Content was the influx of players and I was curious if PC wasn't organized in a way that would render that into having a real effect on the PC crew.

I think the biggest difference between PC and PS4 crew is mumble; it's a lot easier to drop in and out and group up and stuff with mumble as opposed to PS4 friends list/poo poo like that. I mean we all have to fight with Rockstar Social's garbage UI (and the game's garbage UI) but being able to just pop in a known, pre-determined mumble channel and say "hey whats up invite me?" is easier on PC

I'm not sure if that answers your question either but that's the biggest difference to me - the very minimal barrier for someone new to pop in the channel and get in the game. so we're all used to big groups though 22 or whatever last night was insane. I was busy playing other poo poo, but well done PC crew.

titties
May 10, 2012

Psion posted:

I think the biggest difference between PC and PS4 crew is mumble; it's a lot easier to drop in and out and group up and stuff with mumble as opposed to PS4 friends list/poo poo like that. I mean we all have to fight with Rockstar Social's garbage UI (and the game's garbage UI) but being able to just pop in a known, pre-determined mumble channel and say "hey whats up invite me?" is easier on PC

I'm not sure if that answers your question either but that's the biggest difference to me - the very minimal barrier for someone new to pop in the channel and get in the game. so we're all used to big groups though 22 or whatever last night was insane. I was busy playing other poo poo, but well done PC crew.

We have a text chat set up to serve the same purpose but people hate it; once they're added they leave after about 2 messages go out because reading is hard.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Psion posted:

I mean we all have to fight with Rockstar Social's garbage UI (and the game's garbage UI)

It's always magical getting a new player into whatever the goon group is doing.

1. "What's your Social Club name, we'll add you to our friendlist"
2. "Oh you tried "Online>Join Friends?" That doesn't work and to our knowledge, never has."
3. "Ok, I sent you a session invite, accept that in the Social Club interface"
4. "Alright, Hunting Pack time! Invites are out."
5. "No, this invite is in your ingame phone. Make sure you accept the right one."
6. "Jobs over and you ended up in a pubbie session? You got netsplit, sending you an invite"
7. "It's the Social Club one again."

Rockstar :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wonder how many of the 73 million copies sold can be attributed to people upgrading to new generation consoles. I started on PS3 and played on it until getting the PS4 version earlier this year.

Kaizoku posted:

I'm not against more story DLC, because I'm not against things that don't really affect me. I also think that rockstar have their heads so far up their asses they think that only people with 100% would care to have new SP content.

I wasn't into online gaming until very late in the GTA IV-era, when I tried it and found Cops and Crooks more god drat fun than I could stand.

Still, I played GTA V's story first in part because Online wasn't ready and in part because it was what I was used to and interested in. If they're talking expanded single-player story mission DLC, I might be interested in a few more adventures with Franklin/Trevor/Michael, but a) not if I had to pay for it, b) if I can start it without restarting the entire game (I did Story on PS3) and c) I could live without it because I'm having fun playing Online, especially now that I've had a few nights of organized chaos and Goonanigans (i.e., I have a group of people to play with who are Not Pubbies).

And I might be down for Friday night Goon Theft Auto.

• Locked thread