Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That's the rumor.

Don't they know we're already dead inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That feeling when you use the wrong coloured tabs and your supervisor tells you to redo them all.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

LordPants posted:

That feeling when you use the wrong coloured tabs and your supervisor tells you to redo them all.

Are you a paralegal?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Are you a paralegal?

I'm going to guess trainee solicitor.

Less well paid and you have to spend tens of thousands in extra school to even apply for it. But he gets to be a lawyer for only 2 years of indentured servitude :confuoot:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just curious, because I don't tab my binders myself.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
There's a guy trying to burn down the marital estate now.

From $132,000 in community funds, he spends $52,000 on legal fees.

I tell his wife to pull 60 and stuff it in her account.

Other side flips the gently caress out, I tell them to stuff it, they agree to put it in my trust account.

I tell them "gently caress you, I'm billing from it because I've only been paid $5,000.00."

They're throwing an absolute shitfit and i can't wait for them to tell the Judge that I shouldn't get paid despite him paying his second lawyer a $30,000 up-front retainer.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just curious, because I don't tab my binders myself.

Barristers aren't allowed to tab binders. They just end up covered in hole reinforcers and toner.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Guys I've eaten so much pie, but everyone wants to give me more pie. I've gotten like 15 emails today saying wow, great job eating that pie. Can you eat this pie before COB today?

I spent 280 hours eating pie last month. Go to law school.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Omerta posted:

I spent 280 hours eating pie last month. Go to law school.

What is your billable rate? I'll assume $300. You made your firm $84,000.

What do they pay you in a month? $15k? Good margin for someone hahaha

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hahaha drat Phil.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My rate is more than than. More pie per person = more profit per partner! I, for one, enjoy being at the base of a pyramid scheme.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Good luck generating that kind of business on your own, though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

CaptainScraps posted:

Good luck generating that kind of business on your own, though.

That's right. Whores never think that pimps provide a valuable service, until they try to generate customers on their own.

The next thing you know, they're being beaten with belts while having cigarettes put out on their asses.

(For purposes of clarity, real law firm associates are high end whores serving Elliot Spitzer. "I can do this on my own, or with a couple of buddies" lawyers are family law attorneys defending wife beating men that drive excessively large pickup trucks but who somehow cannot pay their legal bills.)

(For additional clarity, "whores" are associates. "Pimps" are partners. Clients put cigarettes out on your rear end.)

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

SlyFrog posted:

That's right. Whores never think that pimps provide a valuable service, until they try to generate customers on their own.

The next thing you know, they're being beaten with belts while having cigarettes put out on their asses.

(For purposes of clarity, real law firm associates are high end whores serving Elliot Spitzer. "I can do this on my own, or with a couple of buddies" lawyers are family law attorneys defending wife beating men that drive excessively large pickup trucks but who somehow cannot pay their legal bills.)

(For additional clarity, "whores" are associates. "Pimps" are partners. Clients put cigarettes out on your rear end.)

I can't remember the last time I heard such a spot on analysis

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In honor of my 100th job application since unemployment, here's a form I had to fill out on the application site:

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
(of course I didn't actually submit these answers but i really wanted to)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 18, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hi thread, did I miss anything good in the last 70 pages?

I've returned because I just found out the only other associate who does the same type of work as me at my firm is leaving in two weeks. As of now she realistically does 70% of the real work of that type, inclusive of the partners, and she has around five years of experience. I'm in my first year out of law school. They are currently preparing me to take over what she does hahahahahahahah

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Hi thread, did I miss anything good in the last 70 pages?

I've returned because I just found out the only other associate who does the same type of work as me at my firm is leaving in two weeks. As of now she realistically does 70% of the real work of that type, inclusive of the partners, and she has around five years of experience. I'm in my first year out of law school. They are currently preparing me to take over what she does hahahahahahahah

I hope your firms Seamless selection is decent.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

mastershakeman posted:

In honor of my 100th job application since unemployment . . . .

My (unsolicited) advice is to do yourself a favor and stop counting the number of job apps. That kind of information can get pretty demoralizing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Please tell me this is for a non-profit or something and not an ID firm.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Blakkout posted:

My (unsolicited) advice is to do yourself a favor and stop counting the number of job apps. That kind of information can get pretty demoralizing.

Seriously. During my stretch of un and under employment after law scho, it loving blew.
However, maybe unemployment makes you keep count?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joat mon posted:

Please tell me this is for a non-profit or something and not an ID firm.

What's ID stand for? Its a firm, yea. The joy of outsourced hr "talent management " websites. At least it wasn't taleo.

And yea I gotta do at least 5 a week and log 'em with the state unemployment site so I have a big spreadsheet of them all.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mastershakeman posted:

What's ID stand for? Its a firm, yea. The joy of outsourced hr "talent management " websites. At least it wasn't taleo.

And yea I gotta do at least 5 a week and log 'em with the state unemployment site so I have a big spreadsheet of them all.

Insurance Defense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joat mon posted:

Insurance Defense.

Ah. Nope, a condo/hoa firm.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I'm working at a company dealing with patents, and thought I've got some aptitude for this stuff, let's look up how to go full bore into becoming a patent attorney!

Let's see what the goons say!

Hmm, guess I'll pass on that brief idea.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ravendas posted:

I'm working at a company dealing with patents, and thought I've got some aptitude for this stuff, let's look up how to go full bore into becoming a patent attorney!

Let's see what the goons say!

Hmm, guess I'll pass on that brief idea.

I mean, if you have the background for it it's not terrible, but if you just want to write patents you might as well just become a patent agent instead of an attorney - all the patent writing fun (it isn't), none of the law school debt.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Kalman posted:

I mean, if you have the background for it it's not terrible, but if you just want to write patents you might as well just become a patent agent instead of an attorney - all the patent writing fun (it isn't), none of the law school debt.

Hey I think it's fun.

But I also only draft an application like every two months, as I only get assigned "unusual" new apps. Last application was about physical neutral networks, and it was interesting as hell.

Anyway, good advice. I'm not an attorney (or even an agent) and I'm balls deep in the patent life. Actually my company was considering sending me to a US law school, but since I don't live in the US and am not a US citizen, there's no point for me to obtain either qualification as I still would not be able to practice in front of the USPTO.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was there a resolution to the Toona the Cat saga?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

LordPants posted:

Was there a resolution to the Toona the Cat saga?

I think he quit drinking then didn't quit drinking after like a week.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did he leave his wife for the study partner?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

LordPants posted:

Did he leave his wife for the study partner?

No, but he maybe signed up to jerk off his professor every week.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
'sup law goons.

Someone wanna fill me in on the last month?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No drama really. Msm had a baby and lost his job, blarzgh got a proby for being funny, slyfrog dropping truth bombs, and toona still in law school.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No drama really. Msm had a baby and lost his job, blarzgh got a proby for being funny, slyfrog dropping truth bombs, and toona still in law school.

That's....mildly disappointing.

Except Msm...that outright blows.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, taking care of a premie baby is a lot easier when you're unemployed. Plus my wife just had perforated peptic ulcer out of nowhere that couldve killed her in a few more days if she hadn't demanded a cat scan from her dr instead of some pain pills.

If any of y'all have acid reflux consistently go get a CT scan/endoscopy!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any DC patent people have an opening for a really good paralegal? Wife's office might be shutting down

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh and WJ's wife's firm may be shutting down. That's new news, though.

I think we also discouraged a 0L, but they all run together at this point.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not the firm, just their DC office

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

And Scraps is practicing Guerrilla Family Law now.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Better than gorilla family law!

I'm traveling 400 miles today to conduct a 5m hearing over $3.00. State efficiency!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

And Scraps is practicing Guerrilla Family Law now.

Yesterday I had a mediation near the courthouse and accidentally booked a trial that day. When the mediator left my room, I ran, settled the other case in the courthouse and came back to mediation before the mediator came back. Family law!