Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Won't the attack be over by the time I get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I asked the question earlier, "what happens if you join the minutemen after you already have all the settlements?"

Here's what happens. As soon as the minutemen reach sanctuary, preston made me the general, without completing any settlement missions. Then, I did the one settlement mission I didn't have yet as I had no way to get it without the minuteman quest, which was Warwick farm. As soon as I did that, Preston announced that it was time to retake the castle. As someone else mentioned, I told him I already had taken the castle, and preston just had me join him there and power up the radio transmitter.

I assume that once I find the institute, preston will tell me it's already time to defend the castle, but who knows. He does try to send me on pointless radiant quests regarding settlements I already have, but I ignore them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Covok posted:

Won't the attack be over by the time I get there?

It doesn't seem to be "they're under attack" so much as "things are ready to spawn when you arrive". Still a time limit, but if you head there semi directly you'll make it

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Just haul rear end for said encampment, you've got plenty of time to get there even if you're on the other side of the map. The time limit is pretty generous too, so don't worry if you have to fight some chumps on the way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Haven't done any quest stuff, but the new barn structure set is pretty neat. Decent looking roofs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good god, Far Harbor is really piling on those godrays. My GTX 970 can't keep up with it (~15-20 fps loss in problem areas), and it looks so awful when on anything other than Ultra :smith:

I think it's weird that I haven't seen more people mention how bad godrays look, and stuff like the Nvidia guide doesn't show it at all for some reason. It can't be just my computer because I've had the exact same result on different cards, it gives a low res jagged pixel outline to anything between the camera and light source (including my gun). How did anyone look at this and go "hmm, yep. That's High quality right there"

That's not even zoomed in, just cropped.

Are there any .ini settings or something I can use to alleviate this without getting a 20 fps loss or just turning it off altogether?

e: another example, from my old card (view full size):

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I can't even get Far Harbor to start, and I have no idea which mod(s) might be at fault. I completed Getting A Clue, and I guess I'm supposed to be getting a quest to listen to some radio station... except that's never firing no matter what, and I am playing survival so I can't force it with the console. Neat.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Godrays look like that unless you set them to Ultra as far as I can tell.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

looks like you'll have to kill god first

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Some early reports of the PS4 framerate being atrocious.

Yuuuuup, it's very bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was toying around with the godray console commands and my computer froze, and after rebooting Fallout 4 won't start :negative:

After pressing 'Play' in the launcher, it disappears for a few seconds and then pops up again. I tried deleting the .ini's in case anything changed in them, but that didn't do anything to help. Anyone seen this problem before?

e: So you know how asking for help often magically solves the problem before anyone answers? This was one of those times. I just restarted steam and now it works :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 19, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I was toying around with the godray console commands and my computer froze, and after rebooting Fallout 4 won't start :negative:

After pressing 'Play' in the launcher, it disappears for a few seconds and then pops up again. I tried deleting the .ini's in case anything changed in them, but that didn't do anything to help. Anyone seen this problem before?

e: So you know how asking for help often magically solves the problem before anyone answers? This was one of those times. I just restarted steam and now it works :iiam:

I've had that issue lately for no reason at all and resetting Steam always fixes it so :shrug:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
About half an hour into Far Harbor and I can't help but feel its kinda late to be playing the "you might be a synth" card.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now that it's out, I'm not sure where people were coming from with the disappointing damage on the lever action. Old Faithful in one of the shops, two-shot lever action. Stock base damage is higher than my .50 cal. Second best receiver and its up to 280-something base damage.

Guess we'll see how it works in practice, but that's like a 2200 damage sneak attack.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
25 dollars for that dlc. bethesda does not give a gently caress any more

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Downloaded it, playing it, enjoying it a lot so far. Can't wait for the Immersive Fast Travel mod to update to let me fly a vertibird over to the cabin but whatevs

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got to the hotel vault and I already feel like I got my money's worth :swoon:

The voice acting is so over the top and hilarious, it's clear they didn't give a single gently caress and I love it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Two-Shot is a poo poo modifier and I hate it.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Relin posted:

25 dollars for that dlc. bethesda does not give a gently caress any more

It's rainin' caps in Bethesda

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Suave Fedora posted:

It's rainin' caps in Bethesda

I was going to make a joke about Bethesda having a high charisma score and their consumers having low, but that's low hanging fruit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rinkles posted:

Yuuuuup, it's very bad.

I second this, all the fog effects make the game run like poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nasgate posted:

I was going to make a joke about Bethesda having a high charisma score and their consumers having low, but that's low hanging fruit.

*Bethesda maxes out Fortune Finder perk and aims squarely at the audience*

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is there ever a convincing reason given for the institute massacring towns/replacing people, or what they do with the people they take? It seems such a huge plot element to leave unresolved, and the best the game seems to suggest is 'they do bad stuff because they're the baddies' which is just crap. The institute had a lot of potential as a ruthlessly pragmatic but ultimately well intentioned faction willing to commit many acts of evil for a greater purpose. Instead it's just mustache twirling villainy for the gently caress of it.

E: also as someone who enjoys FO4 despite it's many lovely flaws, is the new DLC any good? I'm fine with more of the same shite, just hoping to get a good few hours of solid content.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 19, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there ever a convincing reason given for the institute massacring towns/replacing people, or what they do with the people they take? It seems such a huge plot element to leave unresolved, and the best the game seems to suggest is 'they do bad stuff because they're the baddies' which is just crap. The institute had a lot of potential as a ruthlessly pragmatic but ultimately well intentioned faction willing to commit many acts of evil for a greater purpose. Instead it's just mustache twirling villainy for the gently caress of it.

E: also as someone who enjoys FO4 despite it's many lovely flaws, is the new DLC any good? I'm fine with more of the same shite, just hoping to get a good few hours of solid content.

To your first question - not really, that I've seen. Ostensibly they want to make the Commonwealth a better place, but it's never explained how kidnapping/murdering/replacing people with Synths is going to accomplish that. Maybe it happens if you follow the Institute storyline, but I haven't done that.

Most reports from this thread claim that the new DLC is big, but largely empty with not a lot going on. And a good number of minor nitpicks about it as well.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not to my knowledge, no. There's never any real explanation for any of the poo poo that they've done. I think the sole exception is there's a holotape in Father's quarters or the boardroom that details how they maybe felt a bit bad about the Broken Mask incident... but only because the synth was sent without authorization rather than there being genuine guilt that it killed a bunch of people.

To be honest, everything surrounding the Institute is handled poorly. Their big evil plan is...they want to power up a reactor so they can keep working. That's it, that's their master plan. There's never any real exploration of the Institute's actions and the effect they actually have on the people of the Commonwealth, you're just told "The Institute is bad and must be destroyed by any means necessary." And, I mean, the fix to the Institute as the Commonwealth boogeyman is simple: "Stop synths from randomly murdering, kidnapping, and replacing people and work with the people of the Commonwealth" but I guess their response to that the first time was to just gun down the representatives of every major settlement because reasons.

Of course, there's the whole issue of creating an army of slaves and not recognizing their sapience and all that as well, but I'd chock that up to Bethesda's lovely handling of the subject rather than Father and his goons being actually malicious. A better writing team would have realized that you could probably have convinced enough of the Institute's leadership that, yeah, synths are people and deserve freedom based on evidence that is already present in the game (like the synth detective that you can recruit, or the fact that the synths themselves end up plotting a rebellion themselves of their own volition if you go down the Railroad questline) and prompt a takeover of the Institute rather than killing everyone, but alas.

God, the plot of this game is bad.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I gave the new survival a try and at first it was neat. I went towards diamond city, level 8 endurance and full power armour in good condition.

A gunner standing on a bridge shot me dead in two seconds. Each hit from his pistol from 100 meters took about 40% of my health. Okay 30 minutes of progress lost. Including some quests, never mind. Started again.

I got to the cambridge police station, killed the ferals. Moved north and a raider threw a molotov cocktail towards me. I saw it in good time and began to strafe away from it. It landed about 3 meters away from me and killed me instantly. 100% of my health.

I want to like survival but I don't think I will in the long run. Heat seeking molotovs was one reas I had to abort another playthrough on Very Hard with only regular clothing and no points into endurance.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ThomasPaine posted:

The Sole Survivor never has to account for (or even really consider) their shoot-on-sight disposition of Raiders, Ghouls and Super Mutants, as they command an organization of ideologically aligned people to defend against same with extreme prejudice. Your followers don't seem to really think about the self-determination of your robot workbench creations.

Father is the Sole Survivor for the Institute, and enjoys the same lack of criticism from within his organization of ideologically aligned people, who don't recognize their "robot workbench" creations as self-determined. They treat Commonwealth settlers the same as Raiders.

Before you ask, yes, Maxson is also the Sole Survivor for the Brotherhood.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

That just sounds like weak writing three times over instead of one tbh. Although aren't there game files that suggest a Brotherhood coup was a scrapped possibility? Trial by combat or something

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I saw a review of the DLC and in the footage he showed his framerate dropped massively whenever the fog was on screen. That would drive me insane.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonesy posted:

That just sounds like weak writing three times over instead of one tbh. Although aren't there game files that suggest a Brotherhood coup was a scrapped possibility? Trial by combat or something

That absolutely was not a defense of the writing applied towards the Institute.

I think a moderately skilled writer could make their position compelling without changing many of the core facts, but as-is you're really left to fill in the blanks yourself, or else not think about it too much.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I find the best way to avoid grenades is either to run forward once you see the indicator, or find new cover after every couple of shots and avoid it proactively, since enemies will spam them relentlessly in an effort to flush you out anyway.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Kenny Logins posted:

That absolutely was not a defense of the writing applied towards the Institute.

Yeah my bad, I figured right after I posted but oh well :justpost:

So am I to believe we don't get any neat power armor poo poo from this dlc? Underwater jet pack would be nice

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I've died four times between entering Concord and the death claw. He slapped me once and then went right to the kill animation :psyduck:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

I've died four times between entering Concord and the death claw. He slapped me once and then went right to the kill animation :psyduck:

there's a house with a balcony right next to the grate he pops out of. go in it. don't get too close to the edge of the balcony though because he can still get you from the ground. and if you cripple a leg, you can run faster than he can, so that's something to strive for.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Concord Deathclaw is always a case of "hide in buildings where it can't get you and take potshots at it until it falls over." The fun part is that it goes and hides, so you have to flush it out then dash into a nearby structure before it catches you.

There's a building over by the museum you can hide in that'll allow Preston to give you a hand. It also likes to hide next to it, so you can just pop up to the roof and open up on it for a bit.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Does Far Harbor add anything to the game without doing the DLC?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I try to make use of the cars. Blowing them up near the deathclaw to hurt it. But it barely works on Survival because he will leap past them and if he reaches melee range the game cuts straight to the death animation.

I do wish they could have added a mattress or something in the room before the power armour.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^^ just hide in the store in front of the museum and he can't hit you. Or just run outside before getting the armor and save if it's a big problem.

DLC adds some new settlement buildings (barn was the main thing I noticed). A few new ranks to perks (third rank of action boy for 75% regeneration, another lone wanderer rank for +25 ap when solo, strong back has a new reduce ap when running encumbered level, that sort of thing). Only played a few minutes with it so I don't know what else.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 19, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Far Harbor trip report: I'm currently solving a murder mystery that is populated entirely by robots, one of which I have apparently just had sex with. 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is Fisto back?

• Locked thread