Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Eletriarnation posted:

On my current project someone else made the schedule and didn't put any slack in it and got the client to sign off on it before I was ever involved, so I'm working a lot of 10 hour days to meet expectations I didn't set.
When I get fired, it is because I've stopped doing this. The exchange typically goes something like:

Stripe, we need to have this done by Friday
That can't be done because X Y and Z
Well we've already told the customer it'll be done by Friday
I never told the customer that...?

And so forth. I am playing with fire, and of all the whiny poo poo I offload on this forum, this is probably the one that's actually going to get me in trouble with my employer. It's my own little protest to our constantly tightening deadlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

When I first started as project based, all of the schedules had plenty of room and I could usually finish everything on time working 5-6 hour days. Gradually through the corporate magic of always trying to do more with less, the schedules got tighter and we started having more and more panics over potential slippage, and I learned to double or triple all of my estimates because everyone always forgets when you say "this is optimistic, and if (when) things go wrong it may take longer".

On my current project someone else made the schedule and didn't put any slack in it and got the client to sign off on it before I was ever involved, so I'm working a lot of 10 hour days to meet expectations I didn't set. Once we're done and going through the postmortem, I plan to tell everyone involved that a schedule that doesn't allow for any kind of delay is basically a manufactured crisis waiting to happen and my ability to give a poo poo about that kind of crisis is waning.

You should have made the rear end in a top hat who set the schedule go back to the client and tell them he was wrong. I wouldn't have put up with that poo poo at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ratbert90 posted:

I hope so, but they have a very specific part laid out for IT people:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17e_computer.pdf

Unless that 455$/week is what's changing for IT people.

That's the current rules - $455 a week value near perfectly correlates with the current cut off which is somewhere around $26k a year. Expect a new version to be out closer to when the rule comes into effect, which would probably be around $960 a week.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fishmech posted:

That's the current rules - $455 a week value near perfectly correlates with the current cut off which is somewhere around $26k a year. Expect a new version to be out closer to when the rule comes into effect, which would probably be around $960 a week.

Good. Now if they could just cap it to the CPI (haha that will never EVER happen.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ratbert90 posted:

You should have made the rear end in a top hat who set the schedule go back to the client and tell them he was wrong. I wouldn't have put up with that poo poo at all.

I have a new boss and they have taken to committing me to out-of-hours work and agreeing it with the client before asking whether I am available or want to do it. Every single time I've been busy and he's had to go back and cancel the plans. It's weird how busy I am at the moment.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

I have a new boss and they have taken to committing me to out-of-hours work and agreeing it with the client before asking whether I am available or want to do it. Every single time I've been busy and he's had to go back and cancel the plans. It's weird how busy I am at the moment.

This but for HR and interviews.

HR has a new approach for phone screens where they ask a candidate what their availability is and they then go find someone to interview them who is free at that time and plop a meeting on your calendar. Nine hours of meetings on a single day for an upcoming launch but you are free at noon for an hour for lunch? No problem! Plop! Now you are interviewing.

And if you decline the meeting invite (and therefore subsequently don't have it on your calendar anymore), half the time HR fails to react to the decline and reschedule it or find a new screener. So when candidate says no one interviewed them, HR comes screaming to my boss that I missed the interview.

Oh hey. Here's my decline receipt from a week ago, assholes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
More poo poo that pisses you off: Plop! Now you are interviewing.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Eletriarnation posted:

...because everyone always forgets when you say "this is optimistic"
I like labelling work or stories as "simple" "standard" or "complex" and making the PM agree and include that in all schedules or documentation, to be referred to repeatedly throughout the project.

Never plan optimistically no matter how many people are present.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get unjustifiably irritated by people who put a question mark at the end of a not-question.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Agrikk posted:

HR has a new approach for phone screens where they ask a candidate what their availability is and they then go find someone to interview them who is free at that time and plop a meeting on your calendar. Nine hours of meetings on a single day for an upcoming launch but you are free at noon for an hour for lunch? No problem! Plop! Now you are interviewing.

And if you decline the meeting invite (and therefore subsequently don't have it on your calendar anymore), half the time HR fails to react to the decline and reschedule it or find a new screener. So when candidate says no one interviewed them, HR comes screaming to my boss that I missed the interview.

Can't you just book that hour for lunch?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Thanks Ants posted:

I get unjustifiably irritated by people who put a question mark at the end of a not-question.

I don't know what you're getting at here?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

My lunch hour is a daily recurring meeting for the next 20 years. I also have anytime before 6 AM (my start time) and after 3PM (Miller Time) blocked out as unavailable. If someone schedules during that time, I "decline requesting new time", picking a rescheduled time that no one has blocked. If they don't reply or reschedule, well it's not in my calendar anymore and they can't complain because I offered an alternative. Sometimes I get a "you were a vital member and we needed you". Obviously not or you would have checked my availability to make sure I could make it.

I used to take the occasional meeting here and there, but people started to abuse it and/or I started having to interact with more inconsiderate shitheads. So, I now block times and rigorously decline anything that falls in those times. I wish I had started doing that *years* before I did.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MiniFoo posted:

I don't know what you're getting at here?
I kinda go the opposite way - if there's no question mark, then it's not a question

Hey Minifoo what server is that

What server is that, indeed!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off: A doctor who was rude to me when I was on call and trying to help him doesn't work at my site anymore. :regd11: :getin:

The man couldn't even fathom the vagaries of a 3 field login screen or even seem to spell his own name right. And then after trying to help him for a half hour he proceeded to say I was no help and hung up. I'm sorry I can't help senility. The fact you had to be shown how to use this system and get a password reset just about every day during go live doesn't engender much faith in your ability to care for patients. Please enjoy staying as far away from people's healthcare as possible and I wish you the best of luck.

E: I booted up my VM and logged into the VDI panel just to take away his VM.
EE: I did it while dancing to dubstep with no shirt on.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 19, 2016

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

RadicalR posted:

Can't you just book that hour for lunch?

flosofl posted:

My lunch hour is a daily recurring meeting for the next 20 years. I also have anytime before 6 AM (my start time) and after 3PM (Miller Time) blocked out as unavailable. If someone schedules during that time, I "decline requesting new time", picking a rescheduled time that no one has blocked. If they don't reply or reschedule, well it's not in my calendar anymore and they can't complain because I offered an alternative. Sometimes I get a "you were a vital member and we needed you". Obviously not or you would have checked my availability to make sure I could make it.

I used to take the occasional meeting here and there, but people started to abuse it and/or I started having to interact with more inconsiderate shitheads. So, I now block times and rigorously decline anything that falls in those times. I wish I had started doing that *years* before I did.

My lunch hour is blocked out typically when I go offsite for gym or lunch or whatever, but yeah, lunch needs to be a M-F meeting forever more.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

Our lunch is paid time, so we can't really block them all out, but our union rep will raise a stink if people make more than ~1/month meetings between 12:00 and 12:30.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Stripe, we need to have this done by Friday
That can't be done because X Y and Z
Well we've already told the customer it'll be done by Friday
I never told the customer that...?

Back in the 90s when I was consulting we had to get the C-levels demand that a tech signed off on sales offers before they could be presented to clients because our salespeople kept grossly underestimating the amount of time projects would take.

"But it makes projects too expensive! waaah!"
Tough luck, bitches. We can't make any money for the company if we have to spend three times your estimated hours in the first place.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The shangri la of sales estimates would be to deduct overages from their commissions. Never seen it happen.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

At my old gig I regularly had to hold sales and professional services accountable for poo poo they did. Too often sales would go "We can do that!", services would go "We tried that, but it half works. Support can fix it!" Then it would fall on my group. I also had the benefit of working in the same building as most of these people so I could go and corner them for answers.

This is the same company where I had a client begging to upgrade, but their sales person all but told them to eat poo poo because of a C level directive to only go for new business. Upgrades? Recurring revenue from SaaS fees? gently caress that, let's get them enterprise clients our product doesn't scale to!

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. The COO, the guy who said "This is going to be very good for ALL of us!", called me a few weeks ago on my personal line. He asked me if I knew anybody from support who would be interested in coming back and working for the new parent company. I almost laughed in his face given that everybody went on to make more money with less bullshit.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That religious MSP I bitched about last week had the recruiter call me back. The same recruiter who told me over the phone that he was thinking of dropping them as a client because they were a giant pain in the rear end.

What a surprise! No one got past the phone interview, because no one reacted with enough excitement over their lovely vision statement that was read over the phone. They want to bring in a few people whose technical ability they liked to interview face to face. I can't wait to email them back no thanks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Update: The awesome new guy that Robert Half found for us is still with us over a month later.

This still seems impossible and I am sure it was just a mistake on Robert Halfs part.

Edit*

Perhaps some clarification:

His programming skills are quite decent, and he knows python really well. It's fun watching a new guy to engineering stumble and learn just like I did though. :3: Luckily all the KVM's are backed up to a local raid array and ~*~*~The Cloud~*~*~ via a cron job I set up so even if he does gently caress up a build server it's fine.

He's just so eager to fix the product he was hired to work on! And I think he has the head on his shoulder to accomplish that as well. I am glad we found him, it took a ton of stress off of me.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 19, 2016

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
People keep coming up behind me while I have headphones on and asking me questions. One even finished their question and walked away before I had them off.

Some of them looked annoyed when I asked them to repeat what they just said, the cheeky fucks.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Once place I worked banned headphones because people thought it was rude.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BigPaddy posted:

Once place I worked banned headphones because people thought it was rude.

We have a half comprise, 1 ear with an earbud only. It works okay I can still hear stuff both on the computer and in the workplace. There are nice headphones that will do the same, but office politics.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

We have a half comprise, 1 ear with an earbud only. It works okay I can still hear stuff both on the computer and in the workplace. There are nice headphones that will do the same, but office politics.

We have that same policy. Dumb.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

hihifellow posted:

People keep coming up behind me while I have headphones on and asking me questions. One even finished their question and walked away before I had them off.

Some of them looked annoyed when I asked them to repeat what they just said, the cheeky fucks.

If you ever have a question for them, save it for when they're on the phone, deep in concentration, or mid-piss.

Do unto others. :sun:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pixaal posted:

How bizarre. Of all the things to outlaw headphones has to be the most petty. Of course these kinds of decisions are made by people who have their own offices and don't share close quarters with other people.

I feel like this stuff stems from "I spoke to this person and they did not hear me because of headphones. How dare they!"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

How bizarre. Of all the things to outlaw headphones has to be the most petty. Of course these kinds of decisions are made by people who have their own offices and don't share close quarters with other people.

Generational battle in the workplace

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just offer an alternative, like playing music through speakers at an agreed upon volume.

When they balk at that politely inform them you will continue to use headphones. :v:

It probably wouldn't be an issue if cube farms weren't universally designed to put your back to the entrance. If you were facing outward it would be trivial to notice someone approaching and give them attention. But nope, gotta be able to see what's on their monitors!!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have to do the one earbud thing, since we get a lot of walk-ups. Its loving annoying, since music helps a lot when writing a script or digging in to a major issue.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

What is so loving difficult about telling someone somethings been dropped in the toilet before they touch it?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My boss, whose office is immediately behind me, takes the vast majority of his phone calls on speaker with his door open. He also takes a lot of personal calls, so boy oh boy do I get to hear a lot about the audio work he does for his church

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

My boss, whose office is immediately behind me, takes the vast majority of his phone calls on speaker with his door open. He also takes a lot of personal calls, so boy oh boy do I get to hear a lot about the audio work he does for his church

We might have the same boss.

Who the gently caress puts a ticket in an hour before or after work. Trying to open this email and can't see the attachment

CHURCH PRAYER MEETING.WKS (they apparently still use Windows 98 + MS Works)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

pixaal posted:

Did that for a while, it's weird when the mix isolates something to the side you're not listening to.

beepsandboops posted:

And that's one of the major reasons I started wearing headphones. I really don't want to listen to other people argue with debt collectors or talk about their kid's medical issues with their spouse.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

awesomebrah posted:

What is so loving difficult about telling someone somethings been dropped in the toilet before they touch it?

Two horrible words:

speculum bucket

Enjoy your lunch! :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

hihifellow posted:

And that's one of the major reasons I started wearing headphones. I really don't want to listen to other people argue with debt collectors or talk about their kid's medical issues with their spouse.

I sat a short (10 step walk) down the hallway from our kitchen until a few days ago. The amount of WTF poo poo people talk about on their break while still in the office is somewhat mindboggling. One woman was on the phone with someone talking about how her kid had diarrhea and poo poo in this place and that, like wtf, people attempt to eat lunch in there, go have your lovely conversation outside.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MF_James posted:

I sat a short (10 step walk) down the hallway from our kitchen until a few days ago. The amount of WTF poo poo people talk about on their break while still in the office is somewhat mindboggling. One woman was on the phone with someone talking about how her kid had diarrhea and poo poo in this place and that, like wtf, people attempt to eat lunch in there, go have your lovely conversation outside.

We have 3 pregnant women and a bunch of new moms so every day its breast milk pumping, vagina issues, blech

Then all I hear is JUST WAIT BOB YOU'LL BE A DAD SOON

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
To be fair, at my old job we used to talk about all sorts of poo poo, but we kept it confined to our office.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

We have 3 pregnant women and a bunch of new moms so every day its breast milk pumping, vagina issues, blech

Then all I hear is JUST WAIT BOB YOU'LL BE A DAD SOON

Start talking about vasectomies (don't actually do this, talking about your balls probably qualifies for sexual harassment).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We just had a rousing discussion about poopsock and the origins, because a few of my co-workers did not know the original story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Gounads posted:

The shangri la of sales estimates would be to deduct overages from their commissions. Never seen it happen.

As a PM, when I get a new project it's my job to get a real estimate from the team, usually based on careful planning, and if it doesn't match the sales estimate I negotiate with the client using the new info.

If negotiations fail, the sales person doesn't get the sale.