Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

whatupdet posted:

Thanks, are the Casio Pro-Treks able to send this data in a graph to keep track of or just provides info on the fly?

You might want to look into running Strava on your phone as a cheap solution. Put it in airplane mode can help extend battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tigren posted:

I puked myself crazy after I got off the peak. Altitude sickness is real.

It is, but so is poorly prepared lasagna. (This was at like 0445, we started at 0230.

It was sleeting/hailing.

It was a fun making GBS threads into that wag bag, then carrying it up and down most of the mountain. We got up to the last, long switchback but had to turn back due to time and too much snow. Apparently a huge wave* came through the next weekend and knocked all the snow off, which sucks. Especially since the snow almost killed one of us.

Moral of the story: don't eat at that loving pizzeria, and bring an ice axe and know how to use it.)

* of people.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

n8r posted:

You might want to look into running Strava on your phone as a cheap solution. Put it in airplane mode can help extend battery life.

This and spend some of your precious backpack ounces on a battery pack. They work pretty great and are useful for multi-day hikes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
E: I'm an idiot.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Sadly, I wouldn't know. I shat myself silly on the first 1/3 of the trail, not really conducive to summiting.

Never eat at that pizza place in Lone Pine.

I think you will find that The Pizza Factory is the finest choice for a small-town pizza chain in the greater central California region. :colbert: Of course pretty much any hot, non-rehydrated food is good when you finish hiking for a couple weeks.

Edit oops I didn't realize this was about food poisoning, ugh

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 18, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think you will find that The Pizza Factory is the finest choice for a small-town pizza chain in the greater central California region. :colbert: Of course pretty much any hot, non-rehydrated food is good when you finish hiking for a couple weeks.

Despite how old it got having people ask "are you ready for a burger and a beer at Whitney Portal??" it was still pretty great to have after weeks backpacking.

drat, now I really wish I could do a long trip again but that's probabbbbbbbly not going to happen for quite awhile at this point.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

Despite how old it got having people ask "are you ready for a burger and a beer at Whitney Portal??" it was still pretty great to have after weeks backpacking.

drat, now I really wish I could do a long trip again but that's probabbbbbbbly not going to happen for quite awhile at this point.

We leave from Sequoia on August 27 :) Get your rear end out there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Levitate posted:

After rescuing our stranded friend who fell off the trail due to snow collapse, that was the best burger I've ever had in my life.

I never want to have a burger there again because I'm 100% sure it was a poo poo burger.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do yourselves a favor and go up 395 to Bishop instead of Lone Pine or Independence.

Bishop has a brewery, multiple burger spots, a great coffee shop, and a fantastic run of the mill American diner. Not to mention a book store and a movie theater.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Each january I go for a full weekend hike in the Ardennes together with about 40 other guys. It includes dinner afterwards in a local restaurant. In '15, literally all of us got food poisoning by the time we got home. Spending the night on the shitter after a long weekend of hiking is not something I have fond memories of. Apparently some guys got so dehydrated they had to get a saline IV.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tigren posted:

Do yourselves a favor and go up 395 to Bishop instead of Lone Pine or Independence.

Bishop has a brewery, multiple burger spots, a great coffee shop, and a fantastic run of the mill American diner. Not to mention a book store and a movie theater.

And a great bakery.

The pizza place was not my decision.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

We leave from Sequoia on August 27 :) Get your rear end out there.

I still have an 8 day 7 night trip in August, I just mean I won't be able to take off like 3 weeks to do the John Muir Trail again or something

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

After rescuing our stranded friend who fell off the trail due to snow collapse, that was the best burger I've ever had in my life.

I never want to have a burger there again because I'm 100% sure it was a poo poo burger.

I think it was surprisingly decent. Better than a fast food burger for sure

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I still have an 8 day 7 night trip in August, I just mean I won't be able to take off like 3 weeks to do the John Muir Trail again or something

HST is a test run for myself, my gear, and my friends. If it goes well, we'll be looking for something a little bigger and on again until I either hike JMT or until I hit my happy trail limit. I've heard Wonderland can be fun, but I haven't really talked with people who have hiked it. Colorado has to have some good 70-100 mile hikes and I can save myself some airfare if I drive out. 3 weeks is a bit of a strain on the finances. I would definitely have to spend some time saving up for it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Hungryjack posted:

HST is a test run for myself, my gear, and my friends. If it goes well, we'll be looking for something a little bigger and on again until I either hike JMT or until I hit my happy trail limit. I've heard Wonderland can be fun, but I haven't really talked with people who have hiked it. Colorado has to have some good 70-100 mile hikes and I can save myself some airfare if I drive out. 3 weeks is a bit of a strain on the finances. I would definitely have to spend some time saving up for it.

Section-hike the Colorado Trail.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Tsyni posted:

This and spend some of your precious backpack ounces on a battery pack. They work pretty great and are useful for multi-day hikes.

I was considering doing a multi-day hike this weekend but realize I might need to get a few things, like a new backpack with hydration pouch. I can't stand carrying several water bottles in my backpack so a 2.5-3L hydration pack would certainly be ideal. I've decided against spending the money right now on a new watch, I'll look into a battery pack and use Strava for now. I might get myself a new flashlight as well, don't think I'll need a headlamp as I don't plan on doing many hikes in the dark but a flashlight just in case or when camping overnight might come in handy.

Is Osprey the best choice for a backpack with hydration pouch?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Osprey makes good packs and they have a good hydration pouches, but I don't know if I would ever think to say they are a good pack because of the hydration pouch. Most packs have hydration pouches these days.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

The only pack I've ever owned with a hydration pouch is an Osprey. So purely anecdotal, but I'm very pleased with it. One of the more useful features is the stiff backplane of the pack. It allows you to wiggle the full bladder into the pack even when the pack itself is stuffed. Quite a timesaver. I've heard complaints about other brands where you have to partially empty the pack before the bladder wants to fit. Obviously even with the Osprey it's still easier to correctly fit the bladder when your pack is empty.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I will say this with regard to Osprey's hydration system: They make a 3L hydration bladder that is reinforced in such a way as to not fill into the shape of a tube like so many bladders do. As such, it fits really neatly into their hydration sleeves. It also has a magnet clasp that goes on the sternum strap to hold the spigot in place. I picked this one up for a couple bucks at an REI garage sale, then soaked the nozzle in a bleach solution overnight and ran the whole thing through our dishwasher.

https://www.rei.com/product/846397/osprey-hydraulics-reservoir-3-liter

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

whatupdet posted:

I was considering doing a multi-day hike this weekend but realize I might need to get a few things, like a new backpack with hydration pouch. I can't stand carrying several water bottles in my backpack so a 2.5-3L hydration pack would certainly be ideal. I've decided against spending the money right now on a new watch, I'll look into a battery pack and use Strava for now. I might get myself a new flashlight as well, don't think I'll need a headlamp as I don't plan on doing many hikes in the dark but a flashlight just in case or when camping overnight might come in handy.

Is Osprey the best choice for a backpack with hydration pouch?
You can use a headlamp as a flashlight, but it's harder the other way around. My bivouac kit includes a headlight, but I never carry a flashlight.

Osprey packs are generally v nice and their support is great, but fit is the most important thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I fish maybe 80% the times I go hiking and try to limit my tackle to a small chest pack. It works great but is annoying to wear it with a pack, and my current 11L day pack is too small to fit it inside. So I bought a pack from the same company as the chest pack, so it clips in the front straps and can clip to the back of it. But it is a garbage pack for a few reasons:

As you can see, the loving straps are sewn to the hip belt, so when you tighten them, it pulls the hip belt up to gut level. Also, in general it is build/designed to ape the features of a hiking pack, but everything is off a little or is poorly implemented. I talked to Rainy Pass about fixing the strap issue, but there are a bunch of other little things that drive me insane. My question is, would I be better off just buying an 22L Osprey and adding the chest pack clips to it, rather then trying to mod my current one into a good pack? The wrinkle is that the chest pack uses these round locking snaps that I have never seen elsewhere, so I would have to cut them out of the crap pack, killing any hope of resale, or have RP replace them on my chest pack with normal ones and add the same to the 22L?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hungryjack posted:

I will say this with regard to Osprey's hydration system: They make a 3L hydration bladder that is reinforced in such a way as to not fill into the shape of a tube like so many bladders do. As such, it fits really neatly into their hydration sleeves. It also has a magnet clasp that goes on the sternum strap to hold the spigot in place. I picked this one up for a couple bucks at an REI garage sale, then soaked the nozzle in a bleach solution overnight and ran the whole thing through our dishwasher.

https://www.rei.com/product/846397/osprey-hydraulics-reservoir-3-liter

I bought one full price from REI about ... 4 or 5 years ago. It's gone on many geology field trips, weekend and week long camping trips, and is just about the best bladder I've seen.

That handle and large opening make it super easy to fill and fit into a pack, and I do love that magnetic clasp.

Definitely recommend it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have an Osprey day bag and a 3L bladder from Source's military line. Their wide, low profile bladders are great and fit perfectly

http://sourcetacticalgear.com/10-tactical-hydration-systems

Easy to fill since the entire top opens up too

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

+1 for "have Osprey pack and Osprey hydration bladder, works great"

Just don't leave them in the sun. Apparently hydration bladders do not like that.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Ah, didn't know that, thanks for the warning. Does it matter if it's full? Or does the plastic deteriorate because of UV?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess you'd be okay if it was full. I had mine in direct sun for too long to dry it out and it melted. :(

Bought a new one though, because as others have said they are pretty nice. I agree with the comments that the flat, hard back of the pack and the flat, hard back of the hydration bladder are good designs. It would suck to have to completely unpack my pack every time I wanted to refill it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'll be hiking Mt. Baldy next week, and I wanted to ask about clothing for a cold day in full sun while being on a strenuous hike (=extra body heat).

When I am out at night in freezing temperatures, I usually wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, and one winter jacket. I also have winter socks, gloves, a Seirus face mask/shied (combo scarf?), and a hat. This combo leaves my warm and fuzzy at night in 32F weather while doing minimal activities (star gazing). How do many of these layers do you think I'll need in 32F weather in the full sun and minimal wind while hiking from 6000ft to 10000ft?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Use a three layer system: long sleeve technical shirt, fleece sweater, winter jacket. You can probably hike in just the shirt, but as soon as you stop, get that sweater on. The jacket as well if it's windy.

Gloves are personal preference. I get numb fingers easily when around camp, but as soon as I start walking the gloves have to go.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Updates on finding the perfect triangular shaped boot for my hobbit feet. Below is the list of shoes that have been recommended that are in my price range. I tried out some last night highlighted in Bold

Altra:
Olympus
Lone Peaks 2.5
Superior

LaSportiva:
X Country
Crosslite 2
Wildcats

Montrail:
Sabino Trail
AT
Hardrock

Inov-8:
Roclite 295
- Alright, not a lot of padding, best heel fit. Not as wide as others in the toe.

Mizuno:
Wave Ascend
Wave Kazan
- Ok. Heel too loose.
Wave Hayate

The North Face:
Litewave TR - Have tried, toe box is far from wide enough. Heel was OK.

Merrell:
Moab Ventilators - Have tried, toe box is good, but the heel is wider then my current NB TR's.
Chameleon Ventilators

New Balance:
Leadvilles V3

I will be trying out the Inov-8 and Mizunos tomorrow.

I have also received my tongue depressors and tried them on the NB. Whilst they haven't prevented my heel from moving side to side, they have relieved the pain from doing up my laces tight on the top of my foot.

Asomodai fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 21, 2016

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Asomodai posted:

Updates on finding the perfect triangular shaped boot for my hobbit feet. Below is the list of shoes that have been recommended that are in my price range. I tried out some last night highlighted in Bold

Altra:
Olympus
Lone Peaks 2.5
Superior

LaSportiva:
X Country
Crosslite 2
Wildcats

I have wide (but not triangular) feet and Altra's were way too small for me. They claim they have this "footshape" but it was still too narrow. I have had success with both La Sportiva, and Salomon.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

+1 for "have Osprey pack and Osprey hydration bladder, works great"

Just don't leave them in the sun. Apparently hydration bladders do not like that.

I'll be the dissenting voice here on Osprey hydration bladders. I love the design of the bladders compared to the camel back bladders that I own, but they just don't have the durability. In April of 2015 I bought a small Osprey pack for run commuting that came with a 2.5L bladder. I used it to commute about 3X a week, and for water on longer runs when it was hot (20-35 miles). It sprung a leak on a run in the first week of June, the seam came undone at the very bottom of the bladder. I got a replacement bladder from REI the next week, and used it with the same frequency. It sprung a leak in the same location the first week in September about 5 miles into an 18 mile run. I contacted Osprey CS, and was told this was a known issue that they were trying to fix. Maybe they hold up better for hiking, but they're not cut out for running.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ah, yeah, I don't run.

I've only used mine for hiking, so maybe the added stress of bouncing while running screws them up.

For hiking though, I'd still heartily recommend the osprey.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Anyone use a Platypus bladder, specifically the Hoser?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My two cents: I have a camelback 3l bladder that I've been using for 4-5 years that works perfectly. I am kind of envious of that osprey magnet though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

I Am Not Spor posted:

I swear by platypus bladders. They're simple, cheap, light and insanely durable. I have no melting issues with mine being in the sun. The clip makes them really nice for being held in place in most backpacks with a retainer system.

I have several (2L and 3L) that have lasted through years of use. I also have the gravity works system and it works like a dream. Everything works together very well. Also, with the Hoser series, you can use a typical soda cap to keep it closed without the hose. I've had other brands (camelback, Blackhawk, etc) and prefer platypus at this point.

They remind me of medical IV bags or something. I've never once worried about them leaking. The one drawback is by having a small opening, they take a while to dry out but I haven't had any issues with mold or mildew.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I Am Not Spor posted:

Out of all of the different bladders that I've ever used the Hoser has been my favorite. Incredibly durable, I've had mine for years.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Tsyni posted:

My two cents: I have a camelback 3l bladder that I've been using for 4-5 years that works perfectly. I am kind of envious of that osprey magnet though

I think the older ones were pretty good, but the new ones are horrible. I've had three leak straight out of the box. I pack my backpack really tight, but you'd think Camelback would've designed for that pressure :shrug:

Gonna try a Platypus Hoser and piss everyone off when it's their turn to pump.

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 20, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

theHUNGERian posted:

I'll be hiking Mt. Baldy next week, and I wanted to ask about clothing for a cold day in full sun while being on a strenuous hike (=extra body heat).

When I am out at night in freezing temperatures, I usually wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, and one winter jacket. I also have winter socks, gloves, a Seirus face mask/shied (combo scarf?), and a hat. This combo leaves my warm and fuzzy at night in 32F weather while doing minimal activities (star gazing). How do many of these layers do you think I'll need in 32F weather in the full sun and minimal wind while hiking from 6000ft to 10000ft?

If you're hiking in the day I don't think it will be that cold. Also there is quite a bit of wind on the trail and especially at the summit.

e- Mt. Baldy in SoCal or a different one?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

khysanth posted:

If you're hiking in the day I don't think it will be that cold. Also there is quite a bit of wind on the trail and especially at the summit.

e- Mt. Baldy in SoCal or a different one?

Yes, Mt. Baldy SoCal. Forecast for the peak for Monday am/pm is ~34 F. (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-San-Antonio/forecasts/3068) While I don't know how accurate this forecast is for Mt. Baldy, it is accurate for my usual hang out spot.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm considering a short backpacking adventure in the Palisades (Eastern Sierra Nevada) over Memorial Day. does anyone know what the conditions currently are, particularly up in the mountains directly west of Big Pine? Not sure how feasible this is. I'm hoping for clear, sunny, warm snow-less weather and will be checking the weather forecast frequently next couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm considering a short backpacking adventure in the Palisades (Eastern Sierra Nevada) over Memorial Day. does anyone know what the conditions currently are, particularly up in the mountains directly west of Big Pine? Not sure how feasible this is. I'm hoping for clear, sunny, warm snow-less weather and will be checking the weather forecast frequently next couple weeks

Try calling the nearest Ranger station? I expect it'll still be snowy up there...not sure how bad it'll be. I'm stuck wringing my hands over a June 10th trip that will just top out over 10k feet and worrying if the snow will be too much to do it, but my plan is to call up Yosemite at the beginning of the month and see what they say it looks like.

Palisades are higher so honestly I'd be expecting a decent amount of snow still on the ground and temps into the low 20's at night