Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: THE NEW OATH THREAD IS LIVE AND WAITING! :siren:

The Oath Thread, Season 7: Always Be Painting (Your Gaming/Figure Models)

Get your stuff painted! Be motivated! Win prizes!

The Oath Thread is a year-long thread (Today, the 1st of May to the last day of April 2017) that lets you collect points for painting your models each month. At the end of the year the points are totalled up and the top scorers get their pick of fantastic sponsor prizes from companies like KR Multicase, Wargames Tournaments and more!

You can paint one model at a time, or entire squads, teams or groups. You can drop in and drop out at any time if all you want to do is get your stuff painted, and the rules are easy to read and we're quite an inclusive bunch.

Drop in and say hi, and get your stuff painted!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Renfield posted:

Under Transports in the BRB:

"If you choose transports for a Squad, that Squad automatically begins the game inside the transports. If these transports are aircraft, then the Squad will start the game in Readiness or Reserve in the same way as other aircraft."

Yeah, that.

I'd give other stuff missile pods instead I think.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I think I'll go for that, 31pts is a really annoying number to have left!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How much does a Type 2 walker weigh? I've picked up some PHR and I want to magnetize my Neptunes and their payloads, so I wanted to plan around the maximum possible loading.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

How much does a Type 2 walker weigh? I've picked up some PHR and I want to magnetize my Neptunes and their payloads, so I wanted to plan around the maximum possible loading.

I use 4mm magnets on mine and that is solid. 2mm does barely hold them but they wobble a lot and can drop off if you aren't careful when you move stuff. Dont have their weight to hand at the moment.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I use I think 6mm on the dropships, and 3mm on the walkers which works fine. Accidently used 3mm ones in my Aegeon and it seems solid, so that looks like the sweet spot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

LazyAngel posted:

I use I think 6mm on the dropships, and 3mm on the walkers which works fine. Accidently used 3mm ones in my Aegeon and it seems solid, so that looks like the sweet spot.

Thanks. I live in the US so they mostly sell inches, but 1/8" is about 3mm.

Also I think I just missed the cutoff for the NOVA Open Dropfleet signups :( Any chance they'll add some extra capacity and/or people will drop out?

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Thanks for the help, thread. I'm currently trying to figure out how to magnetize things. I think I may end up buying a second tank unit and practice with them. I'm splitting the starter box with my partner, and as soon as she can get her Scourge together we'll play our first game!

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
I just picked up a phr starter set for super cheap and would like some advice on how to build it out to 1500 points. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, and have only played 6 games so far with my scourge so I'm still pretty new to the game.

I really like the giant 6 legged walker, is it a good choice of commander?

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

MrSquarepants posted:

I just picked up a phr starter set for super cheap and would like some advice on how to build it out to 1500 points. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, and have only played 6 games so far with my scourge so I'm still pretty new to the game.

I really like the giant 6 legged walker, is it a good choice of commander?

The Nemesis is a good choice; it's tough, and long-ranged enough to hang back (and, in fact, walk on at the start with no need for a Dropship). Your other option is the Zeus which is a lot cheaper, but brings less firepower to the table. The passive save it gets makes it alarmingly tough as well, but it'll need a dropship to bring it up-board (usually along with an Odin to keep it company).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The Nemesis is solid but you will curse when you fire the tail gun and roll a 1 to damage!

Do not buy a dropship for it. It is meant to hang back, snipe, and use scouts to project sphere of influence.

Check out the orbital bombardment blog for their article on building up starter armies, it's only a few months old so is current advice from the guys who win all of the UK tournaments.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

me and a bud had a game a while ago where his Nemesis(? the command one) failed to kill anything of mine over 5 turns. If it missed fine, if it hit it rolled a 1 for damage. My Wolverines and Katanas were a bit stumped by this and shot the living daylights out of it. As did my Seraphim plasma poop.

After testing the Retaliator I really like it too, I think it's way overcosted though (I think this of the Strike Fighter too).

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Slow week at work so i assembled and airbrushed ravens/passenger compartments/falcon modules. Don't have my brushes and pallette here so im out of things to do.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Those look really good. Did you do all the camo striping with the airbrush then? Those are some impressively small lines.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

TTerrible posted:

Those look really good. Did you do all the camo striping with the airbrush then? Those are some impressively small lines.

Thanks, i do the camo pattern by first spraying light gray, then placing coarse foam over the model and spraying dark gray through that. Turns out due to the modified tail fins the foam didn't conform all to well to the spine sections of the ravens so the pattern is pretty weak there. I don't mind a little variance between units though and i can up the contrast a bit by brush.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks, i do the camo pattern by first spraying light gray, then placing coarse foam over the model and spraying dark gray through that. Turns out due to the modified tail fins the foam didn't conform all to well to the spine sections of the ravens so the pattern is pretty weak there. I don't mind a little variance between units though and i can up the contrast a bit by brush.

At this scale that variation and fuzziness really works. I've yet to work out a colour scheme for my UCM I might give this a go.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Here's a shot of the foam for reference. You can vary the effect a good deal depending on the coarseness and the thickness of the mat.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
So there's a guy on the DZC facebook group proudly posting pictures of he's (badly) painted nazi-themed UCM.

I can't be the only one that thinks this is just in incredibly bad taste ?

tbh, I'd refuse to play if anyone plonked that down opposite me ?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Renfield posted:

So there's a guy on the DZC facebook group proudly posting pictures of he's (badly) painted nazi-themed UCM.

There are very few nazi-themed things I'd be comfortable playing a game with.

On the other hand, I could see a Soviet-themed UCM – reclaim the motherland from the invaders and all.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Renfield posted:

You'd think all the Neo-Nazis would be into historicals... unless it reminds them that they lost. There's nothing even in the UCM lore that would imply a Nazi-esque state. I'd pack up my army and leave.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
And, after I got piled on by 4 other Americans (it always seams to be Americans or Japanese that think Nazi regalia is cool), and the mods siding with the guy painting SS runes on the tanks, I'm no longer part of that group.
(I quit about 1ms before being kicked for calling a mod a c***)

I was the main one who answered rules questions, so there loss.

I just Don't understand how some people Don't get that what they are doing is Very offensive to others (There where still bomb-sites in the area I grew up in, ffs)

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Renfield posted:

I just Don't understand how some people Don't get that what they are doing is Very offensive to others (There where still bomb-sites in the area I grew up in, ffs)

You must be new to miniature wargaming. Wait until you find the 40k diorama that shall remain nameless.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

You must be new to miniature wargaming. Wait until you find the 40k diorama that shall remain nameless.

You mean the one that was recently posted in one of the threads here?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Eldar/Imperial Guard one ?

yeah... I'm just a little surprised to have 5 guys saying 'No, It's German, not Nazi... Ignore the SS runes on the tanks he did last week'

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Renfield posted:

yeah... I'm just a little surprised to have 5 guys saying 'No, It's German, not Nazi... Ignore the SS runes on the tanks he did last week'

Yeah, that one.

I agree, especially considering that facebook has way less anonymity than most of the internet. Seems like people would be smarter than that when using their real names, but :iiam:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Renfield posted:

Took me a bit to find it because the hannibals he posted have the same wobbly Balkenkreuz but yeeeeah, there's a cyclone with SS scrawled on the side.

Personally i really wouldn't feel comfortable playing against a WW2 german themed army and the SS cyclone definitely pushes it over the edge.

Edit: It being resistance of all factions leaves an extra bad taste.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 19, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

There are very few nazi-themed things I'd be comfortable playing a game with.

On the other hand, I could see a Soviet-themed UCM – reclaim the motherland from the invaders and all.
I've done this because I am a lazy nationalistic gobshite for my father's side of the family.

Even got my lil decal stars and everything.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm not sure what I'd do if someone turned up to a tournament with an army like that and I got drawn against them.

If anyone has pics the uninspiration thread would appreciate them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'll post em there now. Watching people try to defend the Wehrmacht was kind of revolting.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
As a german i was especially thrilled to be told that i should be proud of the german army in the context of a discussion about the Wehrmacht.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I know guy who has his Warmachine Retribution of Scyrah guys painted grey with Balkenkreuz...es...Balkenkreuzen? all over them, but I know the guy well enough to know he's (probably) not a Nazi, but I still kinda cringe internally whenever I see them.

Back when I played 40K, though, there was a guy who had his Imperial Guard army standard bearer holding a red flag with a black triskele in a white circle in the middle and that... that was... not good.

EDIT: Actually it technically was not a triskele since the ends weren't spirals. It was more like that old three-pronged Skaven symbol.

EDIT EDIT: In general it's probably a Very Bad Idea to include any kind of blatant real-life military references in your tiny plastic/resin/metal space/elfmans

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Unless you're playing historicals.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 19, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't know if any of you are in the Philadelphia area, but I was recently approved as the Talon for the area and am happy to host our first DZC tournament in Philly! If you are local or know someone that is encourage them to come out, slowly starting to build the community up.

We have our first tournament in Philly! June 5th starting at 1pm at Redcap's corner, 3850 Lancaster Ave. we will be hosting a 750 point skirmish level tournament. Still building up a local showing hence the lower point level for this tournament, but I hope some of you can make it and spread the word to your other local players. Event page for the tourny is here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/570547346457614/

Please join us for the first Dropzone Commander tournament at Redcap’s Corner! This is a skirmish-level tournament at 750 points, which is a one army starter box plus approximately 250 other points of models (five battlegroups maximum). Three scenarios from the tournament pack will be reveled the day of the tournament for the day’s challenge.

$10 entry fee, prizes in form of store credit to 1st and 2nd place

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I looked at a Ferrum in the one store in my area that actually has more DZC products than the 2-player starter box, and I have to say it looks a lot less goofy in person than it does on the web site. If it wasn't forty bucks I'd be tempted to get one even though I'm not really doing UCM.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The ramp deployed makes it look really dumb IMO, I quite liked mine once I'd built but but the design itself is a bit bizarre from the get go, it's weirdly over the top for UCM and the double little treads looks kinda dumb. Maybe it would look better if it was a lot flatter like a Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak carrier or something.

For for Welsh/West UK goons! we have a two day tournament just around the corner now with what looks like a decent player number shaping up! but we have the space for more and would love to see you guys down here, info and tickets are here for those curious. http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/dzc-cardiff-call-to-arms-ii

It's a two day event on the 28-29th. Worth coming down for those who haven't seen Firestorm before, because the venue is awesome.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 20, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

As a german i was especially thrilled to be told that i should be proud of the german army in the context of a discussion about the Wehrmacht.

What nationalities were the nazis are cool crew? :allears:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

When is DFC likely to be released?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I think it's July for backers, and September or later for general release

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

TTerrible posted:

What nationalities were the nazis are cool crew? :allears:

The one who painted the wehrmacht models was american and the one who told be to be proud seems to be british .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What sort of rules do people obey with playing Dropzone when it comes to list building? like do you guys have a core armoured group that can survive stuff and hold focal points? I'm sort of bouncing around list ideas but realised outside of take 6x Katanas, Archangel and an Eagle and shoot all the mans. I don't really have a sort of style I like to build towards.