Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

At this point, if a OC'd 1070 can run pretty much everything at max in 1440p, I don't really see the point in getting a 1080 unless you have a 4k display.

DSR + games like Ark: Survival Evolved with poor engine optimization means you can never have enough power!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

At this point, if a OC'd 1070 can run pretty much everything at max in 1440p, I don't really see the point in getting a 1080 unless you have a 4k display.

I'm pretty torn between the 1070 and 1080. Currently I have a 560Ti which was distinctly mid-range when I bought it nearly 5 years ago, and I only game at 1920x1200. Having said that I'm pretty keen on picking up an Oculus Rift once they're generally available, and the VR boosts talked about in the nVidia talk on the 1080 sounded pretty useful there.

All said, given how much I game and that I won't be pushing high resolutions, 1070 seems the logical choice. I guess I'll just wait and see once 1070 VR benchmarks are out, it's just all the talk of slower memory is putting me off slightly and I'd rather spend a bit more to get something more future proof given how long I've kept my current rig going. On the other hand, the talk of the 1080 having a price premium by virtue of being the fastest card around makes complete sense and pushes me back towards the 1070. Decisions..

(I'd also like to build a new rig in a SFF case (Ncase M1), so I'm leaning towards a blower design whatever I go with.)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ak Gara posted:

DSR + games like Ark: Survival Evolved with poor engine optimization means you can never have enough power!!

Quad-SLI Titan-Tens it is!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Froist posted:

I'm pretty torn between the 1070 and 1080. Currently I have a 560Ti which was distinctly mid-range when I bought it nearly 5 years ago, and I only game at 1920x1200. Having said that I'm pretty keen on picking up an Oculus Rift once they're generally available, and the VR boosts talked about in the nVidia talk on the 1080 sounded pretty useful there.

All said, given how much I game and that I won't be pushing high resolutions, 1070 seems the logical choice. I guess I'll just wait and see once 1070 VR benchmarks are out, it's just all the talk of slower memory is putting me off slightly and I'd rather spend a bit more to get something more future proof given how long I've kept my current rig going. On the other hand, the talk of the 1080 having a price premium by virtue of being the fastest card around makes complete sense and pushes me back towards the 1070. Decisions..

(I'd also like to build a new rig in a SFF case (Ncase M1), so I'm leaning towards a blower design whatever I go with.)

If you're playing at 1920 * 1200 definitely get the 1070. You'd probably even end up CPU limited with the 1080 at that resolution in many games. The 1070 is most likely a smidge over 980ti performance, and there's not really anything out there that the 980ti drives at less than 65 fps at 1920 *1080.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Froist posted:

If the 1070 performs at the same ratio of performance per dollar as the 1080 then it sounds ideal. But nobody knows if if does yet so waiting on some info is prudent if you can. Coming from a 560ti is going to be as amazing jump though

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm in the same boat, running a 560 (non ti in my case) at 1920x1200. The 1070 and Polaris are what interest me, the 1080 doesn't seem worth the premium for my usage.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
The 1070 is looking pretty good no? They posted the specs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bleh Maestro posted:

It looks reasonable. It's been cut pretty hard but it's a lot cheaper. Better price/performance than the 1080 almost guaranteed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bleh Maestro posted:

They posted the specs, but no benchmarks. I'm a little worried about the performance given the limited bus and non GDDR5X RAM. There's no point in getting your heart set on anything now, anyway.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Who wants to sell me their 980Ti for real low cheap? :q:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

They posted the specs, but no benchmarks. I'm a little worried about the performance given the limited bus and non GDDR5X RAM. There's no point in getting your heart set on anything now, anyway.

With the 970 vs 980, Nvidia didn't really do enough to make the 980 worth the extra price, so it doesn't surprise me they are taking this opportunity to spread things out a bit more. It also leaves room for a 1070 Ti (1070 with gddr5x would be all you'd need) if there is a competitive gap.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would be extremely surprised if the 1070 turns out to be anything but "At or slightly better than a 980ti" given what we've seen so far spec wise. It's 75% of a 1080, which is almost exactly the same bech margin that the 1080 has over the 980ti.

The largest difference between this and the 970/80 is that the 1070 didn't get it's actual ROPs or memory bus cut down from the 1080. That, and using 8ghz effective ddr5 vs 10ghz 5X on the 1080 vs 7ghz ddr5 on the older 970/980.

e: So the 970 had the odd memory config but it also had 80% of the shader power of a 980 vs 75% of a 1080

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I'm more interested to see where the actual good aftermarket cooler cards like MSI gaming 4g and such are priced.

Gwaihir posted:

The largest difference between this and the 970/80 is that the 1070 didn't get it's actual ROPs or memory bus cut down from the 1080. That, and using 8ghz effective ddr5 vs 10ghz 5X on the 1080 vs 7ghz ddr5 on the older 970/980.

e: So the 970 had the odd memory config but it also had 80% of the shader power of a 980 vs 75% of a 1080

No 3.5gb memory fiasco this time??

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm more interested to see where the actual good aftermarket cooler cards like MSI gaming 4g and such are priced.

Considering the founders cards apparently throttle down from the 2.1 GHz overclock and the throttling is occasionally dropping to less than 500 MHz, I'm basically only considering aftermarket boards with aftermarket coolers. I was hoping I could stop the whole aftermarket card caveat now that the 290 is pretty much gone.

On the plus side you can apparently fit an EVGA hybrid kit on a 1080.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bleh Maestro posted:

Yes, no 3.5GB or 7GB or any such problem this time since they decoupled the memory buss from the parts they are disabling in the GP104 to make it the 1070 version of the chip.

Nvidia would have to be incredibly dumb to make the same mistake considering how it went for them last time and whatever else you say about them they are not that dumb.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Considering the founders cards apparently throttle down from the 2.1 GHz overclock and the throttling is occasionally dropping to less than 500 MHz, I'm basically only considering aftermarket boards with aftermarket coolers. I was hoping I could stop the whole aftermarket card caveat now that the 290 is pretty much gone.

If the card isn't throttling you're not pushing it hard enough. Hire me, nvidia.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Ok, thread. I'm going to be getting a Pascal Ti or Titan eventually, but I need a "rental" card until that time that can drive a 3440x1440. Assuming I'm buying mid-summer after the nerdgasm completes and prices stabilize, what card holds its value best to be sold when the Ti/Titan comes out?

My guess is probably the 1070...?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Durinia posted:

Ok, thread. I'm going to be getting a Pascal Ti or Titan eventually, but I need a "rental" card until that time that can drive a 3440x1440. Assuming I'm buying mid-summer after the nerdgasm completes and prices stabilize, what card holds its value best to be sold when the Ti/Titan comes out?

Why not snag a deep discount new or used 980 Ti?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xthetenth posted:

Hybrid cooler on the (reference board) 1080 sounds like a big waste of money, even for those who can afford a 1080. Those completely not sold on the FE are waiting for an additional power connector and additional phases as much as they are aftermarket coolers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Seamonster posted:

Hybrid cooler on the (reference board) 1080 sounds like a big waste of money, even for those who can afford a 1080. Those completely not sold on the FE are waiting for an additional power connector and additional phases as much as they are aftermarket coolers.

Yea, the power is what's actually limiting overclocks on the reference boards, not the cooler. The same cooler design was used on the far higher TDP Titans/780tis with no issue. Something like the custom cards with modded BIOSes to increase TDP limit and more power delivery will be what to really wait for if you want to push a card.

(I mean, obviously at that point you want to have a better cooler too anyhow, but still)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Durinia posted:

Yeah, either 1070 or 980 Ti depending on which way the benchmarks swing (and if you need the multi-projection for VR).

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Well even a 1080, I don't believe, can do 1440@60 constant. It barely can do 4k@40 in a lot of titles.

Prescription Combs posted:

Who wants to sell me their 980Ti for real low cheap? :q:

Until 1070 comes out, 980 Ti used market is $450-$475. Which people are speculating that the 1070 will beat a 980 Ti. Maybe that'll drop 980 prices more, but until it actually happens a 1070 is a better purchase option.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 19, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, the power is what's actually limiting overclocks on the reference boards, not the cooler. The same cooler design was used on the far higher TDP Titans/780tis with no issue. Something like the custom cards with modded BIOSes to increase TDP limit and more power delivery will be what to really wait for if you want to push a card.

(I mean, obviously at that point you want to have a better cooler too anyhow, but still)

By the time all that overclocking stuff is sorted out, HBM equipped parts from both sides will be right around the corner. I can't say for sure that the 1080 is memory bandwidth limited but more couldn't possibly hurt, especially at 4K. I really want to see what it does when it has an extra 100 GB/s to play with. Come to think of it, that would be a Pascal chip on the 390X memory bus...

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
When are we going to see benchmarks for the 1070?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

No one knows.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Seamonster posted:

By the time all that overclocking stuff is sorted out, HBM equipped parts from both sides will be right around the corner. I can't say for sure that the 1080 is memory bandwidth limited but more couldn't possibly hurt, especially at 4K. I really want to see what it does when it has an extra 100 GB/s to play with. Come to think of it, that would be a Pascal chip on the 390X memory bus...

I think that decent overclocking aftermarket cards should be out inside a month or two, it's not that hard to put the chip on a board with some more VRMs and another plug. Generally the crazy high end boards with the vast tracts of VRMs are still out within three months even when they do some binning and need to build supply (fine grained binning like evga's kingpins could take longer).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Seamonster posted:

The highest end 980s (outside of the most extreme EVGA versions) were available right away, they were just relatively marked up a lot more than their more pedestrian counterparts. I'm not sure there's anything about the 1080 that would make it different this time around.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SlayVus posted:

Well even a 1080, I don't believe, can do 1440@60 constant. It barely can do 4k@40 in a lot of titles.

1440p and 4k are very different (less than half the pixels), from what I've seen there were hardly any titles that the (gtx)1080 didn't get 60 fps at 1440p or way over it. Now 1440p ultrawide was closer to 4k but still most were over 60 or well over. Even a 980ti OC can manage 60 fps on almost everything today at 1440p .

Lol I can see where the 1080 name is going to get annoying

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

1440p and 4k are very different (less than half the pixels), from what I've seen there were hardly any titles that the (gtx)1080 didn't get 60 fps at 1440p or way over it. Now 1440p ultrawide was closer to 4k but still most were over 60 or well over. Even a 980ti OC can manage 60 fps on almost everything today at 1440p .

Lol I can see where the 1080 name is going to get annoying

Petition: Henceforth the GTX 1080 shall be known as the GTX18 or GTX 10.8

Just looked the List of Nvidia graphics processors, the GTX 1080 is actually the 18th series of GeForce/GTX cards from Nvidia. It should have been called like GTX 1880.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 19, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, but who would want a card that tells people it was made soon after the Industrial Revolution? :corsair:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Petition: Henceforth the GTX 1080 shall be known as the GTX18 or GTX 10.8

Just looked the List of Nvidia graphics processors, the GTX 1080 is actually the 18th series of GeForce/GTX cards from Nvidia. It should have been called like GTX 1880.

It really has been way, way, waaaaay too long since either them or AMD(ATI) freaking come up with a new name for their cards.

GeForce has been around since what, 1999? Before that we had TNT and TNT2, Vanta, etc.

ATI had the Rage, Fury (hey! At least that's back), Maxx, Pro, etc. The Radeon has been around almost as long as GeForce has.

Titan is like the only newish name to come out in forever. :rant:

I am just sour how stale the naming scheme has become and how the numbers/names just seem to flip around each generation sometimes making sense, sometimes just changing to screw with peoples heads once again. (Looking at you Intel... 3960X/4960X/5960X/6950X?)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still think they should've gone with "2K#" and "4K#."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://geizhals.eu/palit-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-neb1080015p2f-a1441887.html

First 1080 EU prices. I expected 1000e, 1080 is a bit...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
:stare: This does not bode well for Canada.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Even with VAT $1200 seems comically high, to be completely honest.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:shittypop:

According to Eurogamer it's going to be £619 (€807) in the UK, and can't you import stuff from the UK to EU with no extra tax?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Early adopter price gouging is going just well even without nvidia helping tbh :v:

I'm sure the prices will fall in a couple weeks.
e:

repiv posted:

According to Eurogamer it's going to be £619 (€807) in the UK, and can't you import stuff from the UK to EU with no extra tax?

MSRP for EU is 789 euros.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
That's got to be a placeholder price until it comes in stock right? I mean, even air shipping it from the US as well as getting hit by VAT and duty would be cheaper. Unless that's what this store is planning to do and putting a profit margin on top.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

repiv posted:

That is almost £200 more than what I paid for my 780, they can gently caress right off with that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

ijyt posted:

That is almost £200 more than what I paid for my 780, they can gently caress right off with that price.

Yeah, that's messed up, especially considering how it's going fare after the inevitable Ti / Titan releases.

Also bodes ill for the 1070 in Europeland.