Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prop Wash posted:

Whereas the military is broken and has always been mostly broken, and
Whereas suffering through the military interface is by far the worst part of Dwarf Fortress, and
Whereas equipping your military barely works, and
Whereas your entire squad system can be derailed by a dwarf seeking infant,

just say gently caress it, run DFHack, and if some goblins show up before you're ready just type "exterminate goblin" and go on with your life

Well, I guess what I mean is that I get the basics up and going, then I go "welp, now what" and kind of stagnate until something kills off the fort or I get bored or whatever. I guess I just need to figure out what is essential and what can wait while I get a military set up and wait for the first wave of migrants.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are consistent, reliable ways to make the military work and do what you want them to do, including with respect to uniforms, weapon selection, training, even automating them so they hunt down threats as they enter your fortress.

They're just mind-bogglingly counter-intuitive and I have to re-learn them every time I play.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Build a bunch of traps to thin the invasions out, just don't block access to your depot. Bonus is the spiked balls and spikes are good trade value against not elves, and you can steal all the stuff from the goblins you catch in cages

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well, I completely forgot to brew more beer for ages and all of the useful dwarves died. Now I have a fortress full of corpses and misery.

On to Fort Two!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
If you repeatedly get forts trashed to early invasions/megas/semis, get in the habit of taking your entire first immigrant wave and drafting them into the military. Build spiked balls nonstop on the carpenter until the caravan comes in and trade for weapons and armor for the squad. You don't even have to gently caress around with danger rooms or training equipment anymore, they'll start training themselves up to elite/heroes within a year or so.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

neogeo0823 posted:

The currently ongoing LP is really making me want to fire this up again and give it a shot, but I always get stuck at the same stage on fort development. I always find a place, plan out an overly elaborate fort design, get food and drink production set up, and then start dawdling around and either get bored or get wiped off the face of the earth by whatever shows up before I get a military up and running. What can people suggest for not getting lost right at that crucial spot? Maybe I just need a definitive checklist that's like "do these things in this order asap" or something? I dunno.

My checklist is almost always:

Food/drink
Moat: 3 tiles wide (Lava if possible, deep and dry if not and later you can spike the bottom of it)
Bridges and Bridge controls (over above moat of course)
Traps in path to bridge
Sleeping quarters
Wall immediately behind moat (needs to be at least 1 taller than anything within 6 spaces)
Dining Hall
Temple (this sometimes gets made earlier if I notice a bunch of unhappy dwarves)
Clear land in front of moat. (3 deep area past the moat, clear it of trees and build a stone road over it to prevent further trees)
Military
Fortifications on the top of the wall

Interspersed throughout the above will be minor tasks that are required for the future tasks. For example, unless you have easy access to magma, you'll need a wood furnace and plenty of trees chopped to fuel it. Might as well already designate the area in front of the future moat to be chopped of trees. A smelter and forge will probably be needed as well if you're dealing with a magma moat. You'll need to make any pumps, mechanisms and floodgates out of iron to move the magma fast enough to fill a 3 tile wide moat of any significant size. Oh and a Mason's workshop to pump out bricks for the walls. All of these workshops can be made in temporary locations (aka outside) until the rooms are carved out for their final placement.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheCIASentMe posted:

My checklist is almost always:

Food/drink
Moat: 3 tiles wide (Lava if possible, deep and dry if not and later you can spike the bottom of it)
Bridges and Bridge controls (over above moat of course)
Traps in path to bridge
Sleeping quarters
Wall immediately behind moat (needs to be at least 1 taller than anything within 6 spaces)
Dining Hall
Temple (this sometimes gets made earlier if I notice a bunch of unhappy dwarves)
Clear land in front of moat. (3 deep area past the moat, clear it of trees and build a stone road over it to prevent further trees)
Military
Fortifications on the top of the wall

Interspersed throughout the above will be minor tasks that are required for the future tasks. For example, unless you have easy access to magma, you'll need a wood furnace and plenty of trees chopped to fuel it. Might as well already designate the area in front of the future moat to be chopped of trees. A smelter and forge will probably be needed as well if you're dealing with a magma moat. You'll need to make any pumps, mechanisms and floodgates out of iron to move the magma fast enough to fill a 3 tile wide moat of any significant size. Oh and a Mason's workshop to pump out bricks for the walls. All of these workshops can be made in temporary locations (aka outside) until the rooms are carved out for their final placement.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give this a shot and see how long I can make things run this time around.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I have almost never had any trouble with any setting up aspects of the military system and while the Ui is confusing so is literally every other one. The only issue I have seen multiple times that annoys is me pathing issues for squads. What seems to be the hold up for most people?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

I have almost never had any trouble with any setting up aspects of the military system and while the Ui is confusing so is literally every other one. The only issue I have seen multiple times that annoys is me pathing issues for squads. What seems to be the hold up for most people?

no UI in the game is even remotely as bad as the military scheduling UI

you're either used to it or have transferable skills from Liberal Crime Squad

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i always embark on a volcano

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

hello.jpg

Toady One posted:

Original DF meetup attendee Lightman has organized an event for the 10th anniversary of DF in Bellevue, Washington. There are free tickets for general admission, as well as dinner tickets. It's on June 11th, and Zach and I will be there. There are lots of details over at the event page.

Bug-fixing has been underway. There was an issue with the material display when building adventurer sites -- it was still counting some objects you had already used, so be sure to check the material is actually on hand when you try to build. I also stopped mountains from incorrectly restricting actions like sleeping.

I cleaned up some issues with restraints and cages vs. pastures that were causing animals to be moved too much or not often enough. I also fixed a few problems with mineral placement that screwed up native platinum veins in larger clusters and a few other configurations.

I've adjusted how bone pain works to stop people from giving into pain and going unconscious when their toes are broken.

"Gigantic" shouldn't occur all the time in animal descriptions now. Items placed on tables in adventure mode shouldn't duplicate. Bees should appear in temperate forests. Glazers will gain skill properly now and improvement reactions more generally will apply skill properly. And a few other small fixes.

ayyyy I done contributed

the bones calculating pain more with relative size is a good thing too

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hooray for the arena.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give this a shot and see how long I can make things run this time around.

Cool. If you can manage a lava moat they're sometimes entertaining as enemies may try to jump the moat. Occasionally they'll make it which can be a problem for you if you're not prepared. But at 3 spaces wide they'll usually not make it, which is a problem for them if they're not prepared.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

no UI in the game is even remotely as bad as the military scheduling UI

you're either used to it or have transferable skills from Liberal Crime Squad

The military UI is really bad but you shouldn't need to dick around with 90% of it including the scheduling UI

You can get by with just a standard squad of metal armor soldiers on permanent activity indefinitely without any issues, you don't have to screw around with monthly scheduling at all

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, I guess what I mean is that I get the basics up and going, then I go "welp, now what" and kind of stagnate until something kills off the fort or I get bored or whatever. I guess I just need to figure out what is essential and what can wait while I get a military set up and wait for the first wave of migrants.

Absent exceptional circumstances, I don't worry about the military at all until a year or two into the embark. My generic build goes like this:

1. Find a well situated hillside and dig straight into it. Make the initial entrance three tiles wide, and make the cave beyond big enough to hold a trade depot. Build the Depot here. You will eventually build a drawbridge to seal the 3-tile entrance. But you probably won't need a drawbridge for the first year.

2. Dig a long tunnel out of the Depot Cavern and into the hillside. Make the tunnel one tile wide and maybe 10 tiles long. Feel free to make it winding and serpentine. You will eventually trap the hell out of this tunnel.

3. Build doors at each end of the tunnel. Build a drawbridge across the 3-tile entrance to the whole complex.

4. Trap the hell out of the long tunnel. Wooden spiked balls are hella easy to make

5. Muster up a military at your leisure. Mostly they just exist for FUN and for putting down crazy citizens.

Any threat that isn't a building destroyer can be stopped by locking the doors to the Trap Hall. Any threat that is a building destroyer can be stopped by closing the drawbridge. With sufficient traps, any threat that isn't trapavoid will be torn to shreds before it can get inside. Most threats that approach from the surface are vulnerable to traps.

Boom! You have an impregnable (if boring) fort. The biggest risk is that some dumb dorf loiters around and doesn't close the drawbridge fast enough.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the dwarf laying on the floor in the hallway who just wants to go get a loving prickleberry meal for dinner.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Welp! Things were going along ok until a werellama sprinted in from out of nowhere and ran in before I could get the drawbridge up. It proceeded to kill everything except for one dwarven child and 2 kittens. Ah well, that was a mercy killing, I guess. My ultimately futile efforts to protect my dwarves meant that I had accidentally neglected their food and drink stocks(in my defense, my bookkeeper iswas a piece of poo poo who had yet to actually provide me with any updated values for my stocks). Winter was in full swing, and I knew things wouldn't last till spring. At least this time I know I'll need to retool my starting party's skills and equipment, but I was really happy with that embark site.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I always grab the absolute least skilled, least apt, most worthless piece of poo poo dwarf I get in the first migrant wave, assign him to be my bookkeeper, turn off all his other labors, and set counts to perfectly accurate. He'll usually get up to being legendary pretty fast and unless he dies I just don't worry about it after that. I've never had a problem.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mirthless posted:

The military UI is really bad but you shouldn't need to dick around with 90% of it including the scheduling UI

You can get by with just a standard squad of metal armor soldiers on permanent activity indefinitely without any issues, you don't have to screw around with monthly scheduling at all

This, there are literally no noticeably penalties for keeping people active all the time and they will sort out training for themselves too. Scheduling literally has no good uses.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I scheduled my militia to patrol around my hallways and to stay stationed in my tavern and when it worked I felt like how Sun Tzu must've.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So this is going to be out of left field but: Whatever happened to that DF-like that was based around goblins?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Leal posted:

So this is going to be out of left field but: Whatever happened to that DF-like that was based around goblins?

http://www.goblincamp.com/

Abandoned a few years back

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There's also one based around GNOMES called Gnomoria. If you're thinking of that one.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I scheduled my militia to patrol around my hallways and to stay stationed in my tavern and when it worked I felt like how Sun Tzu must've.

:golfclap:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Consider routing most traffic through your barracks, like putting it right behind the main gate or behind the trading depot farther inside, so you don't have to set anything besides training for your military

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I don't think I've ever had trouble keeping my bookkeeper on other duties as well. He just trots over and updates the books every so often, and as he skills up it gets to the point where it's not even noticeable. With only 7 dwarves I need him working on other stuff anyway.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't even bother with a bookkeeper until the first or second migrant wave. Knowing how much food and booze I have in multiples of 10 is sufficient in the early game.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Welp! Things were going along ok until a werellama sprinted in from out of nowhere and ran in before I could get the drawbridge up. It proceeded to kill everything except for one dwarven child and 2 kittens. Ah well, that was a mercy killing, I guess. My ultimately futile efforts to protect my dwarves meant that I had accidentally neglected their food and drink stocks(in my defense, my bookkeeper iswas a piece of poo poo who had yet to actually provide me with any updated values for my stocks). Winter was in full swing, and I knew things wouldn't last till spring. At least this time I know I'll need to retool my starting party's skills and equipment, but I was really happy with that embark site.

Reclaim that embark site then. I've never had a were-attack before like year 3 or 4. So that's really odd.

Also, add more doors between your core fortress and the outside. It won't stop the werebeast but it will slow them down hopefully long enough that they change back before infecting anyone.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 18, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheCIASentMe posted:

Also, add more doors between your core fortress and the outside. It won't stop the werebeast but it will slow them down hopefully long enough that they change back before infecting anyone.

I like adding a winding alternate path into the fortress that opens and closes off the main entrance. As you develop you can add fun things to it. Traps, dragons, whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Leal posted:

Jamsque posted:

http://www.goblincamp.com/

Abandoned a few years back

Goblin Camp was specifically built around the idea of a messy, sprawling encampment. It was a cool idea but I'm way too picky about fortress design to enjoy that for long, and I suspect this was true of a lot of its potential playerbase.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Also, probably >80% of its development happened during the year and a half gap in dwarf fortress updates. Once Toady got back on the wagon, not a whole lot of reason to continue other than as a personal project.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

No more cheap woodcutting axes exploit:

quote:

05/18/2016 Continued along with bugs. Woodcutters shouldn't use training axes, and you should be able to make metal mechanisms from the job manager. It'll also show the mechanism material in the job's name. Embark profiles should load fish properly instead of cancelling them all. I made dragonfire affect metal items again after a long hiatus, though fire effects in general are still a bit odd. You can now dive in deep water correctly in adventure mode.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mirthless posted:

If you repeatedly get forts trashed to early invasions/megas/semis, get in the habit of taking your entire first immigrant wave and drafting them into the military. Build spiked balls nonstop on the carpenter until the caravan comes in and trade for weapons and armor for the squad. You don't even have to gently caress around with danger rooms or training equipment anymore, they'll start training themselves up to elite/heroes within a year or so.

as someone who hasnt played in a year and a bit: military training finally works!?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yes, it does.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Could someone please explain the various preset loadouts that you can choose before embarking? I've never used anything but the first one or preparing everything myself.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Considering the base game has none, you gotta be a little more specific.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I assume he means the masterwork presets, which I know nothing about only that they exist.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Newb Pack also comes with a few.
Just make your own imho. You won't be happy with the others.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I ended up modifying the first preset to suit my needs and went back to the site. The werellama is still there. He was a human when my dwarves first saw him, so I instantly ordered the rock stockpile he was in to be walled off. Every spot except 1 was successfully walled off, but the dwarf who was supposed to finish the job hosed off to do literally anything else and thats when he transformed. Now he's sitting in the rocks, just waiting for anything to come close enough so he can slaughter it. Will he die on his own once he's walled off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Carve some fortifications and use him for siege and crossbow training.