Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5572517323.html

I am getting seriously tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
God drat. It could be a pile of poo poo but it's worth looking at, I'd deal with an SMG for that price.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd buy it for $7k and beat the poo poo out of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Smash that thing for as long as it will tolerate it and then LS swap it

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

fknlo posted:

It went for twenty four thousand dollars.

:psypop:

So 2002's have completely left the realm of "potentially fun old car?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wrar posted:

Quoting myself in my ongoing lean code saga of sadness, updated my quoted posted

Did the fuel filter tonight. E46 330i still stumbles and throws codes p0171 p0174. On the upshot it does start more easily and seems to run a little better.

Have you tried lighting it on fire and rolling it down a hill?

That would be my next step.

But if you have more patience than me, this might be the next step. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E46/108-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_Testing/108-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_Testing.htm

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 11, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Cobalt60 posted:

So 2002's have completely left the realm of "potentially fun old car?"

The tiis haven't been there for rather a while, but there are still good projects out there for the base cars, and it's not like a bit of restomodding couldn't make something easily as good or better than the tii (except for ~purity~) with modern tech.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5564501745.html for example.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
WHY ARE ALL THESE IN SEATTLE :argh:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bacon Hat posted:

Right, its only a 2.8L, but it feels like an imaginary block of wood is taped up above the pedal and not letting it come up that last inch to engage fully. The opposite of other clutch hydraulics ive worn out that feel like it would disengage if i could only depress the pedal another inch... if that makes any sense. Other than that i saw nothing wrong with clutch operation throughout the trip and around town.

Unless it was swapped with a z3 trans, e36's don't have CDVs.

I'd vote slave cylinder.

e: y'all are loving retarded that e46 is a huge basketcase.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Powershift posted:

Have you tried lighting it on fire and rolling it down a hill?

That would be my next step.

But if you have more patience than me, this might be the next step. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E46/108-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_Testing/108-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_Testing.htm

I was going to say as well, my E46 m3 was stumbling and stalling on starts unless I let the fuel pump prime twice. Determined it was the fuel pump (check valve internal to the pump) and replaced it. Not an issue since.

Also on the ECS topic, I've always wanted to like them but I'm always left disappointed. Spent a grand with them last year in one order of bushings, fasteners, and various other suspension bits and it wasn't free shipping. I bought their valve adjustment kit and it came with the wrong feeler gauge. I emailed them about it, and they said sorry. A friend got the same kit a few months ago and it still comes with the wrong feeler gauge.

I'm done with them at this point. Using BMWPNPC I can finder cheaper prices and in my experience the dealers will bend over backwards to accommodate you where as ECS is happy to ship the wrong parts at high price all day long.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 11, 2016

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Don't get a lightweight FW unless you want stupid amounts of chatter.
I have a 14 pound single mass in mine. It sounds like a helicopter in neutral and your foot off the clutch. I get some wicked chatter in 3rd @2500rpm too. When you wind it up it's all good though. :rice:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SuperDucky posted:

Unless it was swapped with a z3 trans, e36's don't have CDVs.

I'd vote slave cylinder.

Later M3s definitely had them, I pulled one out of mine when I did the clutch swap.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Crusty is right. I just pulled mine out of my E36M just last week.

I thought later E36 6cyls have them too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I saw a rare M Convertible today, I didn't even know they sold these in the US.

I hope he appreciated my slow, sad head shake as I drove by at least.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If it's running better after a fuel filter change, that means it was clogged, which probably overworked the pump and blew out some seals and it can't build pressure any more. Pump next imo unless you already did it and I missed

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I saw a Z4M the other day.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

you guys have been great with the advice, thanks again!

I want to rebuild the shift linkage and maybe shorten the throw / reduce the sloppy feel, does anyone recommend a kit? I've also heard that people rebuild with the OEM Z3 kit because it allegedly fits "perfectly" and shortens/tightens the throw a bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Z3 is a good option for a budget OEM part.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PenisMonkey posted:

I saw a Z4M the other day.

They are a S2000 with too much power and a nice interior

SuperDucky posted:

You could easily part that thing out for 3k more than he's asking for it.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Later M3s definitely had them, I pulled one out of mine when I did the clutch swap.

hm. Mine must've been yanked previously out of my old 6/99 build date cabrio.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I have a 14 pound single mass..

Mine is also a 14 pounder. It is only noisy at idle in neutral - but then you push the clutch in a realize what the car could sound like.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BlackMK4 posted:

How it that any but an endorsement?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

And the price tag to match those improvements. Especially since they're one of the cars that EAG targets.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Oh, are we doing lame M chat? I saw my first M235 last night walking home and got all excited. As I got closer, I saw it was an automatic with X-drive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

T-Square posted:

an automatic with X-drive.

This is pretty much every BMW I see in Canada

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
standard issue here in Denver as well, 3 series xdrive autos everywhere

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What was up until recently the only BMW dealer in KC pretty much only stocks xdrive automatic cars. If you want a manual or RWD you're either ordering it or just poo poo out of luck. So 99% of people shopping for a BMW are going to end up in that combo whether it was their initial preference or not.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
If i were buying a new BMW today i would get the ZF 8-speed over the manual, it is a better gearbox for a daily driver. I enjoy driving a manual as much as the next guy, but that 8-speed is amazing. Couldn't care less about X-drive though. How does X-drive affect steering feel in the new cars? I would think with the electric power steering they're using nowadays it's compromised anyway so is there any difference? Sure if you want to do mad drifting on your daily commute (during the summer at least) you need rear wheel drive but otherwise i don't see what the big deal is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Killstick posted:

If i were buying a new BMW today i would get the ZF 8-speed over the manual, it is a better gearbox for a daily driver. I enjoy driving a manual as much as the next guy, but that 8-speed is amazing. Couldn't care less about X-drive though. How does X-drive affect steering feel in the new cars? I would think with the electric power steering they're using nowadays it's compromised anyway so is there any difference? Sure if you want to do mad drifting on your daily commute (during the summer at least) you need rear wheel drive but otherwise i don't see what the big deal is.

not that it matters much to buyers of new cars but personally, RWD always feels better and will have lower maintenance costs in the long term.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

At least it's an 435 instead of a 428...? :shobon:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Summer is approaching quickly and the Benz doesn't have working AC so I caved in and took the e28 to a mechanic (which happens to be 100 ft or so from where I live) and they've ruled out the fuel pump and believe they have isolated the problem to the crank position sensor, which ohmed out okay when I tested it but can still be bad I guess

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Resistance tests for CPS are garbage and I sold a cherry euro e30 because I trusted a resistance test.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Buddy of mine is selling his E90

I could probably get it for five grand if I wanted...

edit: I've really been missing my 540i, and now this shows up. gently caress.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 18, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The oil analysis on my S54 just came back high on lead, but normal on everything else. Really not what I wanted to see. Shop has recommended a 4000 mile interval and we'll test it again.

I've been thinking of selling or trading in the Z4M anyway, this might put me over the edge. I really love the car, but I kind of feel like I've had my fun with it. I just don't know what I'd replace it with. I did so much research before buying it and picked exactly the car I wanted. I'll probably end up with some boring commuter car and just start pocketing some money. I feel like my next fun car will need to be a little higher up the ladder.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Do those engines suffer rod bearing failures like the S65? What is the shop's concern about the raised lead levels, and what did Blackstone say about it specifically?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yes, the S54 can suffer from rod bearing failure. The shop's concern is rod bearing wear. The Blackstone report says:

quote:

We found an elevated level of lead, which points to excess bearing wear. The universal averages for this engine represents ~5000 miles of oil use. This run was longer, and on a per mile basis wear looks good except for lead, so bearing wear hasn't affected other parts from what we can see. When is lead too high? We can't say for sure, so keep an eye on oil pressure and reduce the interval to ~4000 miles. The fuel contamination was low enough to be harmless, but we'll keep an eye on that as well. Check back next oil to monitor.
My oil change interval was about 7500 miles.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's a drag, what's the cost for replacing them? I think it's about $2.5k on the S65 (in SoCal anyway since there's a variety of shops that can do it), but if you're ready to move on to something bigger on the Fun Meter than you probably aren't that interested in going down that route.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Now considering an E28 sight unseen from ebay. On a scale of 0 to Trump Presidency, how bad an idea is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-5-Series-IS-/252394331543?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ac3dfdd97:g:ZEgAAOSwu1VW6yK8&item=252394331543

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's a drag, what's the cost for replacing them? I think it's about $2.5k on the S65 (in SoCal anyway since there's a variety of shops that can do it), but if you're ready to move on to something bigger on the Fun Meter than you probably aren't that interested in going down that route.
It is a bummer. It's really something that once you see the signs, it's just a matter of time. Prices I've seen are in the $2k - $3k range for the job.

Probably what I'll do is lease something more practical for a couple years and wait a couple years to get something like a used 911 or similar.

And in the mean time I'll still have my e46 :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It is a bummer. It's really something that once you see the signs, it's just a matter of time. Prices I've seen are in the $2k - $3k range for the job.

The best part is that there have been multiple failures by people who get every oil change analyzed with nothing out of the ordinary showing. It's one of the reasons my friend told me to focus on '03'5+ cars when I was looking at M3's.