Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I didn't actually use her much but she was the easiest character to pump evade onto, which combined with insight would probably make her near untouchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What about mage characters, like Elliot and Emma presumably? In TitS it definitely paid to have either Olivier or Kloe around for example alongside strong characters like Agate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I kept one around but tbh it felt kinda obligatory. Like they were useful but you could totally go without a single caster. Although resounding beat is amazing so

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Emma is pretty good at nuking groups and with her default master quartz never runs out of mp so I always liked having her around

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I preferred using Alisa, Machias, or Jusis as my casters because they could do other useful things too. Elliot and Emma ended up being my least used characters as a result.

Aside from Millium but that's just because I don't like her

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I used Gaius with those god quartz plus that master quartz that inflicts status effects (though I do hate vanish). Plus he has delay. Of course when Gaius wasn't around I gave what I could to Fie.

You can do that with Alisa as well for a lot of fights. She doesn't have as many lines, but that wide area craft of hers is pretty much made for hitting everything. JP playthrough used her that way. I honestly think she's made for giving CP though.

Millium is queen if you give her Tauros plus that quartz (Domination I think it's called) that doubles the first attack. Stuff dies.

I usually gave Emma or Elliot Pandora when I didn't mind pumping them with some EP. It's a pain for long, drawn-out fights, but it does a lot of damage. When I had both, I just gave the other Wing. I love that Master Quartz. You could just leave the one with Pandora out of the active party and pull them in for Zero EP turns.

Of course don't take my advice for characters. One good craft or not, Jusis stayed out of my party, and his buddy Machias can stay out too.

I gave Crow Criminal. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elliot has resounding beat, which is one of the best crafts in the game.

Also, a lot of the game gives you subcharacters, and you can switch characters out mid-combat, so if you really want to play the game to its fullest you're dealing with 6 or 7 man parties, not 4. In a fresh Hard run I did a ton of switching mid-combat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
In Trails in the Sky, arts were super powerful and crafts were less so because you got CP at such a low rate and everyone would incidentally get a bunch of spells to use.

In Cold Steel, the ARCUS system doesn't work the same way. If you want a spell, you have to equip that specific spell in your ARCUS and that competes with stat boosts. That plus refilling CP gauges to 200 when characters swap into your party and being able to fill up CP in so many more ways makes crafts way stronger.

Also, since you can stack multiples of the same type of quartz (Atk 1 and 2 and 3), the physical characters are a lot more powerful.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Arts are less the mainstay of your tactics they were in Trails and more "big guns" you use in situations where you want to pull out all the stops. (or do buffing your active team lacks the crafts for)

Although most Master Quartz gives you a handful of spells, it's always a very small list and getting additional spells means sacrificing stat boosts/status quartz for. In Sky, even Agate and Zane could do a quick Teara/Curia/Clock Up in a pinch because the stat quartz you put on them gave you the elemental points for those. In addition, high-end spells like La Tear-All always gave you access to its less-powerful cousins in case overkill wasn't needed and a quick La Teara suited your needs. In Steel, you usually have to choose between either weak spells you can use frequently, but may not save your butt against stronger foes or strong spells that nukes stuff dead or revives/fully heals all allies on the battlefield, but costs over 500 EP to use. So your art users are frequently put in the emergency-nuke role who spend the rest of the time assisting with their support crafts rather than the all-purpose casters they were in Sky.

I suspect the ability to switch in/out extra team members was meant to compensate for this lack of flexibility.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

lets hang out posted:

Emma is pretty good at nuking groups and with her default master quartz never runs out of mp so I always liked having her around

I gave Emma the Aries master quartz, since it not only restores her HP based on the damage it does, but later on the EP as well, and it just gives her basically all the offensive water arts AND Water Bell for free. Whenever Emma's not in my party, that's what Elliot is rocking instead, in large group battles that turns them into unstoppable death gods that can cast all day, and even in smaller ones they're just doing so much damage that even the 350 EP arts are mostly recovered after a casting. It's beautiful. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I had fun having Elliot take infinite turns casting critical Fire Bolts with Criminal and Fire Bell.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The short version of this discussion is "Yes, everything is viable!" I love that everyone has a different experience with almost every character. That means there actually is room in the game design for the countless combinations of builds you can use (as opposed to everyone naturally discovering the one good strategy and applying it for the rest of the game).

My highly advanced strategy throughout the game was to basically use the characters whose personality and design I liked best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favored party was rean/elliot/laura/alisa/fie/jusis/machias

it was mostly just a 'enable rean, laura, and fie to dump their s-crafts' party, with everyone else spamming buffs

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

Elliot has resounding beat, which is one of the best crafts in the game.

Also, a lot of the game gives you subcharacters, and you can switch characters out mid-combat, so if you really want to play the game to its fullest you're dealing with 6 or 7 man parties, not 4. In a fresh Hard run I did a ton of switching mid-combat.

I was an idiot and kept completely forgetting I could do this, so was usually pretty much sticking with 4-man parties throughout the entire game, aside from a couple of occasions.

Some Numbers posted:

I had fun having Elliot take infinite turns casting critical Fire Bolts with Criminal and Fire Bell.

I was having Alisa do this, and it was great fun. Pretty much guaranteed six or so turns in a row every time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Amppelix posted:

The short version of this discussion is "Yes, everything is viable!" I love that everyone has a different experience with almost every character. That means there actually is room in the game design for the countless combinations of builds you can use (as opposed to everyone naturally discovering the one good strategy and applying it for the rest of the game).

My highly advanced strategy throughout the game was to basically use the characters whose personality and design I liked best.

i dunno i feel like everyone uses Laura as often as they're allowed to

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Oh dear lord, I finally started playing around with Burst Drive. For some reason it didn't register with me how utterly broken that could be when I got it with Machias, then suddenly mid combat I saw it. And started laughing forever.

Why yes, Cold Steel, I do enjoy my characters having six turns to a bosses one, why thank you.

Also, I have no clue how the hell I'm supposed to survive some of these bosses S-Crafts other than pure dumb luck, Vulcan's S-Craft murdered everyone at drat near full health and with 50% defense buffs up, and the only reason that wasn't a game over was because Machias's Iron Master Quartz was at level five and revived him.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Whatever they renamed earth wall and such to helps. Might be Adamantine Protection? Or something similar. It's a buff that causes the next attack to do 0 damage and works on S-crafts.

You can sort of predict when S-crafts will come out and even if you're early by a few turns it'll still be up on somebody most likely. It was broken in FC and sort of broken in SC but in CS the balancing factor behind it seems to be its EP cost so you can't just spam it but it's still perfect for S-crafts. Can't remember if its casting time really wanted the bells and cast quartz but that was probably a thing too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im pretty sure you can predict s-crafts. the game will do like a close-up and give the boss dialogue, and then they'll do an S-Craft on their next turn. at least that's how i remember it working against C

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

im pretty sure you can predict s-crafts. the game will do like a close-up and give the boss dialogue, and then they'll do an S-Craft on their next turn. at least that's how i remember it working against C

Ah yeah, that'd probably help. I didn't realize that, and just survived by having Machias and Alisa tank C's S-Craft. Hilariously enough on the second one, the only one actually killed was Alisa because Rean covered for Fie. Thanks for the free 200 CP, Comrade C! :v:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

lets hang out posted:

i dunno i feel like everyone uses Laura as often as they're allowed to

Nope, I barely used her, because I ran 2 mages all the time (when possible), and I found other physical chars more fun.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Cake Attack posted:

Oh, is that how that worked? I...uh...may have relied on Angel and other tricks to survive things instead of realizing that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My endgame party was Rean, Laura, Fie and Emma. Emma mostly just buffed with items (using that quartz that makes items area-wide) while my team never let the boss (at the bottom of the school house) get an attack off. I think he attacked once, Fie countered and killed it. Anyone could have been my fourth but Emma is cute so it was her.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

My only real complaint about Cold Steel now is that they blatantly make it so you can't get 100% completion without a New Game+. In an already 80 hour long game.

Sure, I'm at the very last chapter and finally see the finish line in sight, but I guess I'm just going to play the entire loving game again so I can have everything! :v:

On Nightmare no less. Somebody stop me, please.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lynkericious posted:

My only real complaint about Cold Steel now is that they blatantly make it so you can't get 100% completion without a New Game+. In an already 80 hour long game.

Sure, I'm at the very last chapter and finally see the finish line in sight, but I guess I'm just going to play the entire loving game again so I can have everything! :v:

You can easily finish the game in about 30 hours at that point because you're skipping cutscenes and you're super overpowered pretty much until endgame.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

You can easily finish the game in about 30 hours at that point because you're skipping cutscenes and you're super overpowered pretty much until endgame.

My honest opinion is that, 30 hours is still a bit too much. If it were 10 or so maybe it'd still be stomachable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lynkericious posted:

If you hold down cancel, the cutscenes go at warp speed.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

That's still about as long as it takes to play Final Fantasy 4 though.

Some Numbers posted:

If you hold down cancel, the cutscenes go at warp speed.

Yeah, I know, but I really don't see a reason why any of this needed to force you to run a New Game+ though. It feels really tacked on to me, like if it were just the Master Quartz I wouldn't really mind. But if I want all of the character notes, then I have to replay the entire game, just because Falcom intentionally made it so you couldn't get at the very least, two of them on a fresh run by limiting your bonding events.

It's a really tiny and stupid complaint, but it still doesn't really sit right with me. Though I really am happy that they fixed the difficulty settings, I've only been Game Overed on Hard once, and outside of that there's been quite a few other close calls. It feels like Hard is a legitimate, but fair challenge.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

is Nayuta no Kiseki good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

is Nayuta no Kiseki good?

yes but the patch isn't

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what's wrong with it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the guy who did it barely speaks japanese so it's barely english

it works as far as making the game playable though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

what's wrong with it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 21, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lynkericious posted:

Yeah, I know, but I really don't see a reason why any of this needed to force you to run a New Game+ though. It feels really tacked on to me, like if it were just the Master Quartz I wouldn't really mind. But if I want all of the character notes, then I have to replay the entire game, just because Falcom intentionally made it so you couldn't get at the very least, two of them on a fresh run by limiting your bonding events.

I am of the outlandish and heathen belief that we should play games which are good and fun, and not force ourselves through games that are or become unfun merely because of a checkbox sitting empty somewhere

a wise man once said: a man chooses, a slave obeys

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

better than i expected

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

better than i expected

it really isn't

you're going to be reading that for the entire duration of a 20 hour long action rpg

none of the original script's humor or personality survives

it's a fantastic game but the translation is only good as a guideline for progressing through it. the only thing that keeps it from being, like, wild arms 2-level is that it's still possible to understand what the dialog is attempting to communicate

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 21, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Really Pants posted:

I am of the outlandish and heathen belief that we should play games which are good and fun, and not force ourselves through games that are or become unfun merely because of a checkbox sitting empty somewhere

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you trying to imply that we shouldn't get every trophy or achievement or whatever? That's crazy talk.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

"Man, youths."

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Really Pants posted:

And I am a slave to Falcom's whims. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think they limited your bond events for gameplay balance reasons, and to make it an actual choice, and figured that no one on earth would care about getting all the character notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endorph posted:

I think they limited your bond events for gameplay balance reasons, and to make it an actual choice, and figured that no one on earth would care about getting all the character notes.

:suicide: