Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

doom 64 was really good and more people should play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Pretty sure doom guy breaks everything because he knows that trying to do anything other than lock hell up and throw away the key is a big mistake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I like how MisterBibs is doggedly pushing the World of Warcraft interpretation of this game's plot instead of the more interesting and better-supported version :lol:

Please don't get him started on honeypots again.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Ularg posted:

Pretty sure doom guy breaks everything because he knows that trying to do anything other than lock hell up and throw away the key is a big mistake.

I don't think subtlety is the Doom Marine's strong point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Capsaicin posted:

poo poo, are you all really telling me that I need to know the story of Doom 1, 2, 64, and 3 to play this game? Doom?

You dont' need to know dick dude, the main character even punches his way through conversations. This is just people who have long since beaten the game talking about it because they want to. Simmer down.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Please don't get him started on honeypots again.
is this more world of warcraft incompetence? there seems to be no end to the interesting facts of MisterBibs' videogame ethic :allears:

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Is there a twitter we can tweet and ask if this is the same Doomguy?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It saddens me that the art of reading and interpreting fiction is dead to Doomers.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I like how MisterBibs is doggedly pushing the World of Warcraft interpretation of this game's plot instead of the more interesting and better-supported version :lol:

I don't know what this means, but I think it means bad.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

It's quite the opposite. The UAC wants to keep Hell locked down, contained, and (most importantly) harvestable. Doom Walker wants Hell gone, zero'd out, whatever. It's why Robo Dude punts Doom Walker away at the end of the game. I think he even says as such during that point, something like "If left to your own devices, you'd just kill everything there. We need it alive. Sorry."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 19, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

what relation does doomguy have to Warchief Thrall

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

My original thought from the text dump was the the Doom Marine was the member of the Night Sentinels that betrayed Argent D'Nur in return for his dead son. Hell then absorbed Argent D'Nur and gave him back his son as a possessed. So here he was in Hell, and pissed at the loss of his world and by being betrayed by Hell. So he goes on a demon stomping spree.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

what relation does doomguy have to Warchief Thrall

They both appear far too frequently in their respective franchises.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

When does the Doom 2016 "Doom Marine" go from being the "Doom Marine" to the "Doom Walker"? They are the same guy right? Since (at least as far as I know) "Doom Guy" is the Doom 1/2/64 character.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Morter posted:

All this talk about the suit being reverse-engineered is something I don't agree with now that I take a quick glance over the Doom Marine codex.

In particular, they say they only did tolerance tests with it, but it couldn't be "activated" without the Doom Marine. Also, in the second entry, the picture is clearly of Doomguy in the exact same suit (as opposed to an older suit that was later 'modernized'), so whatever you're wearing is the last thing he wore before he entombed, for sure. Nothing UAC related.

My (asspulled, but consistent with what I see as the essential points) idea about the timeline of the suit would go something like this:

1) Suit is made for the Doomguy at some point, thousands of years ago or in a parallel timeline or maybe even thousands of years in the future; there are probably ways to make all of those work. The salient points in my mind are that it's made in a relatively recognizable human sci-fi setting, even if it isn't literally the UAC as it exists in the timeline of DO4M. This accounts for the suit's familiar form-factor, the way it gives input to its wearer (with a sci-fi font as opposed to demonic runes, for example), etc. At this stage, there might not be anything super special about the suit aside from it being a relatively advanced piece of technology. It might have been standard issue for whatever group Doomguy was a part of, the way the Elite Guards' armor is for them.

2) Doomguy wears the suit for a long time. He wears it when he ends up fighting with the Night Sentinels, which explains why he appears that way in the flashbacks/ghosts that show him standing among the Night Sentinels in their own, distinctly different armor.

2a) At some point, someone (a Seraph?) helps turbocharge the suit, greatly increasing its capabilities. But they keep the essential form factor and displays from 1); they don't just make him a whole new (angelic?) suit of armor, even though they presumably could. The reason why doesn't matter that much; maybe it's just because Doomguy is too attached to his old suit.

3) Suit is found along with Doomguy by Hayden's UAC. At this point it's now advanced enough that they can't directly operate or copy it. Maybe they're able to do some limited reverse engineering, but nothing more. Nonetheless, it's still visually coherent as a sci-fi human suit, and not, for example, a demonic armor suit or the armor of the (other) Night Sentinels.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ChristopherRobin posted:

I already did. Awaiting on an answer :ohdear:

TheGreySpectre posted:

When does the Doom 2016 "Doom Marine" go from being the "Doom Marine" to the "Doom Walker"? They are the same guy right? Since (at least as far as I know) "Doom Guy" is the Doom 1/2/64 character.

This is what we're trying to extrapolate with all of this useless babbling.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Argent Dnur == retard gun

:tinfoil:

wikipedia says: in the reboot, the main character is the Doom Slayer, a legendary warrior and sole surviving member of an order of knights known as the Night Sentinels who were tasked with battling Hell. In the past, the Doom Slayer and his brothers-in-arms were the protectors of a land known as Argent D'nur, until a member of the Sentinels betrayed them in return for the demons reviving his dead son, who was brought back as the Icon of Sin, the final boss of Doom 2. Filled with rage, the Doom Slayer nearly tore all of Hell down, wearing a suit of enchanted power armor gifted to him by a demon who betrayed his kind. Eventually, the Doom Slayer was sealed away in an enchanted sarcophagus by the terrified remainder of Hell's inhabitants until he was rescued by UAC CEO Samuel Hayden, who kept him sealed in the UAC's labs while they reverse-engineered his equipment.
The Doom Slayer, despite being far and away the most brutal of the Doom protagonists, is also shown to be the most traditionally heroic; he is distrustful of Hayden due to his "ends justifying the means" philosophy and goes out of his way to show compassion to the sentient AI VEGA, copying him to a personal drive before destroying his main body. He also seeks to protect humanity from Hell at all costs, even destroying the very energy source which has ended Earth's energy crisis due to it being only obtainable via a portal to Argent D'nur, which is now controlled by Hell and infested with demons.

i like that the icon of sin is visible in one of the later hell levels. this game owns

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wow, this was a great book. I can't wait to go online to find out if the author and/or wikipedia supports my interpretation of it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Isn't Doom 64 an alternate sequel to snes doom and not doom 2 (which didn't happen for nintendo)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ostentatious posted:

what's your demon killcount fellow space marines?

I'm up to 7 of those hell bastards

im closin in on a tasty baker's dozen, friend

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 19, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GlitchThief posted:

Wow, this was a great book. I can't wait to go online to find out if the author and/or wikipedia supports my interpretation of it.

I guess its all a matter of how strongly you believe in Death Of The Author, but yeah, once I read something I'd like to know if I was properly picking up what the author was putting down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ChristopherRobin posted:

Its the same doomguy

ChristopherRobin posted:

I don't know what this means, but I think it means bad.

They're talking about time travel and alternate realities. Yeah, its way bad when the narrative isn't really even that complicated.

Hell exists in another dimension outside of time, that's all you need. There's no conflict that requires split-mirrored-universes.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I guess its all a matter of how strongly you believe in Death Of The Author, but yeah, once I read something I'd like to know if I was properly picking up what the author was putting down.

Does your mother still pick your clothes out for you?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ My mom's dead. So prolly not.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the same doomguy

It's textually not. It wouldn't surprise me if the shift from Doom 4 to Doom 2016 may have changed things.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
my interpretation is that i killed a lot of demons and ghost dudes left me a bunch of ammo in a pile to signify that a boss fight was approaching. good poo poo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

They're talking about time travel and alternate realities. Yeah, its way bad when the narrative isn't really even that complicated.
another mistake often made in this thread is that they assume the texts written by demons are infallible

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

If today we found a way to make a battery that makes li-Ion look like a match stick, it would totally influence the form factor and design of things. Cars come to mind.

Coming back to this: even if the power plant were the size of a matchstick, you couldn't make the average car that much smaller without sacrificing things that most people have decided they want, like trunk space, having a cabin with 4-5 seats arranged roughly in a square with (reasonably) comfortable shoulder and leg room, etc. Conversely, if you really do want to radically change the way a car is laid out or the amount of space allocated to various parts, you can most likely do it around an internal combustion engine. There's a reason why cars generally tend to look the way they do and it's not because a V-6 demands five seats and a trunk before it will deign to turn over.

I do have to thank you for giving me an excuse to use :iiaca: in the DO4M thread, though.

e: I think I may have misinterpreted what you meant by the matchstick comment, but it doesn't really matter to my central point, which is that the things you want from a car, and the logical way to construct it to provide them, will remain roughly the same.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 19, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MisterBibs posted:

It's quite the opposite. The UAC wants to keep Hell locked down, contained, and (most importantly) harvestable. Doom Walker wants Hell gone, zero'd out, whatever. It's why Robo Dude punts Doom Walker away at the end of the game. I think he even says as such during that point, something like "If left to your own devices, you'd just kill everything there. We need it alive. Sorry."

Doom Slayer is the Hell Walker, the Unchained Predator! Doom Walker is what he used when he sprained his ankle playing hell soccer.

TheGreySpectre posted:

He's not called Doom Walker, but he does have a lot of cool nicknames, like a pro wrestler.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

electrigger posted:

This game is the Bayonetta of FPS. I would pay like 20 bucks for a single player DLC mode where you could roam randomized arenas with progressively more challenging battles. PIck up random perks and upgrades, with permadeath, roguelike style. Like a mode that would play a bit like Ziggurat, except good.

Oh man a bloody palace mode would rule.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Coming back to this: even if the power plant were the size of a matchstick, you couldn't make the average car that much smaller without sacrificing things that most people have decided they want, like trunk space, having a cabin with 4-5 seats arranged roughly in a square with (reasonably) comfortable shoulder and leg room, etc. Conversely, if you really do want to radically change the way a car is laid out or the amount of space allocated to various parts, you can most likely do it around an internal combustion engine. There's a reason why cars generally tend to look the way they do and it's not because a V-6 demands five seats and a trunk before it will deign to turn over.

I do have to thank you for giving me an excuse to use :iiaca: in the DO4M thread, though.

Also it depends on how they are using it. I mean if they are converting hell into electricity then you are also limited by cable size for a given current. If argent energy is actually a full on replacement for electricity even down to the control level, then it could be anything. Are bigger cables required to carry more of it, or do you have to get your cables blessed by the pope if you want them to carry over a certain hell voltage? If you short hell cables do demons just start popping warping into your house?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

exethan posted:

i like that the icon of sin is visible in one of the later hell levels. this game owns

I like that he keeps a Doomguy chibi in his brain portal.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the same doomguy

Hell exists in another dimension outside of time, that's all you need. There's no conflict that requires split-mirrored-universes.

If it's the same doomguy then some sort of fuckery needs to happen, but you're right that it doesn't need to be many-worlds-style alternate universes or non-linear time flow; it could be as simple as Doomguy going to hell the first time and fighting there for thousands of years (with a side trip to a different human or demihuman civilization) before ending up back on Mars thousands of years later, where human civilization has scraped itself from the ashes just in time to make another gateway to hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

another mistake often made in this thread is that they assume the texts written by demons are infallible

You really think demons would do that? Just go and tell lies? :ohdear:

JerryLee posted:

If it's the same doomguy then some sort of fuckery needs to happen, but you're right that it doesn't need to be many-worlds-style alternate universes or non-linear time flow; it could be as simple as Doomguy going to hell the first time and fighting there for thousands of years (with a side trip to a different human or demihuman civilization) before ending up back on Mars thousands of years later, where human civilization has scraped itself from the ashes just in time to make another gateway to hell.

Yep and that's exactly the story I have in mind. Pretty simple really.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

My interpretation is that basically Doom/Doom 2/Doom 64 are all canon, but from the idea of Argent D'Nur actually being some kind of alternate-Earth, and then you got the whole details of the origin of his armor, the Night Sentinels, the Wraiths and the Well as just odd details that are added to set up Argent D'Nur as specifically "not the same Earth that still exists in the nu-Doom", and to also set up the Doom Slayer as even more of a legendary badass than he would be otherwise.

Like, they specifically refer to some basic details, but it's not elaborated enough to draw any other solid conclusions as to what's up with the Doom Slayer or what's up with Argent D'Nur, other than "the Doom Slayer had the demons scared shitless because he had been running amok in hell in the past" and "Argent D'Nur is a place that got taken over by Hell, and the Doom Slayer used to live there", so I don't see any reason to not interpert the classic games being canon in some sense. Unless maybe you hate having fun trying to come up with dumb poo poo or something.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay so here's one more tidbit from me

The text strongly hints to me that the Doom Slayer is the Night Sentinel that wanted his son resurrected. In the 3rd Wraith entry is when they spell out that the Betrayer lead the priest to the wraiths to curse them. They resurrected the Betrayer's Son as the Icon of Sin, which led to the conquering of Argent D'nur. The conquest over the wraiths, and the Argent D'nur, is called the "First Age of Ascension." The first Slayer's Testament says "In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows lengthened, one stood." Later, "...[H]e scoured the Umbral plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him." This sounds like when Argent D'nur was taken over, due to the Icon of Sin (the Betrayer's son), and thus the Betrayer was "wronged" and that's why he was seeking vengeance.

So this leads to an interesting conundrum. You run into the Icon of Sin at one point--seemingly not deploying demons as it did in Doom 2. So it the destroyed body of the boss that the Doom 2 Marine wrecked? Or was it a functional/living demon that was just sitting there?

If the former--and the Doom 2 Marine/Doom Slayer killed them, then it seems more likely that the Doom Slayer did come from the Doom 1 timeline, wrecked house, and joined the Night Sentinels, rather than being born/from The NS and being the betrayer. I feel that if the Icon of Sin is the Betrayer (and thus, per this line of conjecture)'s son, that moment would be more significant, rather than an easter egg.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The funniest thing about the plot of this game is that you could totally argue that with the mentioning of countless other worlds, Hell isn't literal hell, it's just some other dimension, and the "demons" are just aliens with a penchant for absorbing other realities into their own.

... like the books! :tinfoil:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my take: doom 3 is not canon, but the nu-metal theme song is canon

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Reminder, you can find the Soul Cube from Doom 3 sitting on a desk in this game.

In conclusion: There's much more evidence that the past Dooms are canonical/in-universe than it being a straight reboot.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Morter posted:

Reminder, you can find the Soul Cube from Doom 3 sitting on a desk in this game.
I love how Doomguy doesn't even bother to examine it, he needs no kids toys to tear apart demons :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,does anyone know how to get a smooth 60 FPS on this? My rig is constantly dipping in the 30-40 range,no matter what I do. I have an i7-4790 CPU,8 gigs of RAM,and a GTX 970 graphics card,if it helps.