Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah the Sony watch has a transflective display so that is one exception. Not sure about the sport.

The 360 sport is a weird mesh of a regular lcd screen with a reflective one color layer underneath. Essentially a black and white reflective display that turns back into normal lcd based on the ambient light sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Tunga posted:

This reply really seems to miss the point of my post. Does it really make a notable difference? Is there some actual real-world evidence for this?

https://senk9.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/thoughts-amoled-power-consumption-tested-and-explored/

It's no peer-reviewed study, but it's something. Regular LCDs only have the brightness of the full screen backlight to adjust to get varying power draw.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah the Sony watch has a transflective display so that is one exception. Not sure about the sport.

The 360 Sport has a transflective display as well as the TAG.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How do I make a shortcut button to an app on Pujie?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How do I make a shortcut button to an app on Pujie?

Under Settings, Tap Actions, Mini Tap Targets, set the app you want. Under your watch face, Mini Tap Target tab, specify where you want it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

https://senk9.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/thoughts-amoled-power-consumption-tested-and-explored/

It's no peer-reviewed study, but it's something. Regular LCDs only have the brightness of the full screen backlight to adjust to get varying power draw.
Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to give any comparison to LCD, it's a few years out of date, and potentially we also have the issue that phones use much bigger screens. So for answering the question "will a watch running OLED get longer battery life than a watch using LCD", it's not very helpful. Current real-world devices seem to imply that the answer is "not really", despite what we might intuitively think due to the way the technology works.

Maybe the difference becomes a lot less significant on a smaller panel because the fixed cost of running the display driver is higher relative to the total power consumption? There are lots of possibilities here. If things were as simple as this implies we'd all see OLED watches lasting twice as long as LCD ones and, well, we definitely do not see that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Under Settings, Tap Actions, Mini Tap Targets, set the app you want. Under your watch face, Mini Tap Target tab, specify where you want it.

Hey thanks dude

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

No problem, that whole app makes things a little harder than things should be and has some odd limitations. Like you can't use a background of your choosing, which I find strange, the watch hand selections are just awful, and maybe this is just me but I'd think if your whole gimmick was the giant tracing circles for things that you'd also have the option for rings but with a cutout where the indicator would be but they don't. I also wish the ambient notification banner would obscure the watch hands the way the stock Moto one did (or it was at least an option).

It's my personal go-to example for an app that's 90% of what you want it to be.

That said I ended up making a face I really like a lot that incorporates the flat tire gracefully, looks great, and has a sweet ambient mode so I've been using it most of the time I've had my 360/2.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know how to prevent Weather Timeline from popping up a card periodically? I'd rather it just live below the main screen so it's accessible without getting notifications from time to time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No problem, that whole app makes things a little harder than things should be and has some odd limitations. Like you can't use a background of your choosing, which I find strange, the watch hand selections are just awful, and maybe this is just me but I'd think if your whole gimmick was the giant tracing circles for things that you'd also have the option for rings but with a cutout where the indicator would be but they don't. I also wish the ambient notification banner would obscure the watch hands the way the stock Moto one did (or it was at least an option).

It's my personal go-to example for an app that's 90% of what you want it to be.

That said I ended up making a face I really like a lot that incorporates the flat tire gracefully, looks great, and has a sweet ambient mode so I've been using it most of the time I've had my 360/2.

Talk about difficult, finding how to toggle between 24/12 hour clock was hard too.

Last thing - i would like the watch to show the actual day (Wednesday etc) .... how can I accomplish this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Talk about difficult, finding how to toggle between 24/12 hour clock was hard too.

Last thing - i would like the watch to show the actual day (Wednesday etc) .... how can I accomplish this?

On the watch face, Interactive tab, Digital Clock, Top Label, select Wednesday and the properties you want.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

On the watch face, Interactive tab, Digital Clock, Top Label, select Wednesday and the properties you want.

You're amazing. Thank you.

Anything else I should know that is useful?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You're amazing. Thank you.

Anything else I should know that is useful?

I don't know if it applies to you but if you sort by my posts in the thread I gave all the measurements so that you can hide the flat tire on a 360/2. Where you can set the hash marks and hand lengths so that they don't get cut off abruptly by it and such.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any idea why my 360/2 would have displayed the charging face all night but not actually charged? That was a rude surprise.

Edit: also, it went from 15% to shutting itself off in about 10 minutes. Put it on the charger and it popped back up at 16%. Why??

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 12, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Any idea why my 360/2 would have displayed the charging face all night but not actually charged? That was a rude surprise.

Edit: also, it went from 15% to shutting itself off in about 10 minutes. Put it on the charger and it popped back up at 16%. Why??

I've never seen that but I've seen the opposite where the charging face never comes on but it does charge. Reseating it fixes it (and I just looked up to see it doing it right now). Was the charging LED on on the base? As far as I can tell that's accurate as to whether it's charging.

Also someone up the thread had really good advice: Whenever something is weird with your Wear device, reboot it. That's fixed everything I've come across (but again, I've never seen your problem).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't remember if the base's light was on. I'll make sure it is in the future.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Double but unrelated post: Holy crap, Pujie Black is a great app! Good thing there's a G+ community because I'd be pretty overwhelmed otherwise. Thanks for the tips, LastInLine.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I've had a few instances of battery shenanigans on my 360/2 but resetting usually does the trick.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Anyone know how to block an app from appearing on the watch? I don't like Strava taking over my watch every time I start it on the phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It throws up a normal card right? If you swipe to the right, the last option should be to block the app on the watch.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

hooah posted:

It throws up a normal card right? If you swipe to the right, the last option should be to block the app on the watch.

Yeah, tried that. It doesn't work. It'll block notifications, but the app still takes over when I start it on the phone. And apparently uninstalling something just from wear isn't possible?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wear app > Gear > Block app notifications?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Wear app > Gear > Block app notifications?

Yeah, its already blocked there. No idea what to do at this point.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can't block it from launching the app, no. Same problem with Strava here. I fixed it by buying a Garmin and not using my watch while cycling any more.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that white backgrounds have a slight bluish or purplish cast on parts of the face of my 360/2. Should I get it exchanged?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gLwk8o9LW0

Overview of the new Wear 2.0 UX (A bit developerish but not too bad).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 18, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gLwk8o9LW0

Overview of the new Wear 2.0 UX (A bit developerish but not too bad).

This seems lovely.

e: I love the Hangouts overflow menu being located exactly where the light sensor is on the 360. That should be super convenient for when I can't use it even if I wanted to.

The notification scheme seems really, really bad.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2016

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I've ditched my 360/1 and stick with my pebbles. Android Wear just feels so clunky most of the time.

I wear a regular Pebble Time at work, and a Time Round elsewhere.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love how it still doesn't capitalize the first word in a text message.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

LastInLine posted:

This seems lovely.

e: I love the Hangouts overflow menu being located exactly where the light sensor is on the 360. That should be super convenient for when I can't use it even if I wanted to.

The notification scheme seems really, really bad.

Pretty much had the same gag reflex to the notification changes, but the justifications they gave today during today's Wear livestream sort of made sense.

Having the most common interaction involve a giant block of white wasn't the best for social discretion or OLED health/power use.

Still not hot about the back button swipe being deprecated and the main hardware button being mapped to back. The original G Watch doesn't even have a button, so it's either dropped or getting a dumb software nav.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Are the 360 v1/v2 going to get the new Wear software?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nobody knows

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Since the 360 V1 can barely handle the current Wear system I seriously doubt it will be up to handling standalone apps.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming my OG 360 isn't getting Wear 2.0 because I may as well not get my hopes up. Planning to replace it this year anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Since the 360 V1 can barely handle the current Wear system I seriously doubt it will be up to handling standalone apps.

I own this watch and don't notice it barely handling anything.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I own this watch and don't notice it barely handling anything.

It's better now, still not nearly as fast as the other watches but it took a lot of later optimization after release not to run like a turd.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I reset my 360 today and it has wear 2.0 so yes.

*EDIT*

I just checked I'm running 1.4 huh.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

captain poopfister posted:

I reset my 360 today and it has wear 2.0 so yes.

*EDIT*

I just checked I'm running 1.4 huh.

2.0 doesn't come out until fall.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got a Wear update on my phone that said it's an update for the watch OS well. This is the first time this has happened for me, and the watch says it's up to date. Is that just because my phone's stuck on Lollipop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I just got a Wear update on my phone that said it's an update for the watch OS well. This is the first time this has happened for me, and the watch says it's up to date. Is that just because my phone's stuck on Lollipop?

I got an OS update on my 360/2 two days ago and a Wear app update yesterday. The two don't have to come as a set even if they are related.