Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ChaosArgate posted:

According to him, he was nowhere near Wolnir and looking straight at his face, so I doubt he got caught in that hitbox.

The arena's tiny and if you walk far enough away from Wolnir (not even that far) you instantly die. It's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

Nintendo does

For nintendo its almost always code for "we had to stop another hack/exploit that was found"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sny0qS7qXEY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't believe I'm saying this but DS would rule in VR with that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Camera doesn't roll like DS1's mod. :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
drat I assumed that the 1st person mod sucked but that actually looks really fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to play Bloodborne in first person.

Actually, watching Ebrietas charge at me in first person might be a bit too much.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

RanKizama posted:

I'm currently in the Undead Settlement with my Sorcerer and have been making slow but steady progress with a consistent baiting technique. Am I doing this right? I'm not dying much, but holy poo poo does it feel like I'm making slow advancements.

You're almost to the part where you get strong, beeline for the Crystal Sage's little fort and get the Sage Ring and Orbeck as soon as possible. Once you have Great Heavy Soul Arrow you have your main ranged attack for the entire rest of the game. It's weird and i don't understand why they did it this way, but GHSA has the best cost/damage ratio of all the ranged shot spells; the ones after that have double and triple the FP cost with like 10 and 20 percent more damage.

You also might be underestimating how much rear end you can kick with weapons. If you make a fire weapon and a raw weapon that you can cast your weapon buff on, you have at least one good source of damage against anything. I'd recommend fast ones with range, like straight swords, rapiers, spears etc because the magic buff is a flat amount of damage per hit and has nothing to do with the weapon's intrinsic power

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I think that mod is a onto something. I think a first persouls might actually work. Next gen King's Field let the circle be complete.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I want to play Bloodborne in first person.

Actually, watching Ebrietas charge at me in first person might be a bit too much.

Yeah having a face full of fur and particle effects would be pretty cool.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

swamp waste posted:

You're almost to the part where you get strong, beeline for the Crystal Sage's little fort and get the Sage Ring and Orbeck as soon as possible. Once you have Great Heavy Soul Arrow you have your main ranged attack for the entire rest of the game. It's weird and i don't understand why they did it this way, but GHSA has the best cost/damage ratio of all the ranged shot spells; the ones after that have double and triple the FP cost with like 10 and 20 percent more damage.

You also might be underestimating how much rear end you can kick with weapons. If you make a fire weapon and a raw weapon that you can cast your weapon buff on, you have at least one good source of damage against anything. I'd recommend fast ones with range, like straight swords, rapiers, spears etc because the magic buff is a flat amount of damage per hit and has nothing to do with the weapon's intrinsic power

The biggest traps people playing sorceror builds fall into:
Using anything but the Soul Arrow spell line for anything but gimmicks (with the exception of the utility spells).
Not using weapons.
Using an infusion that stops enchantment.

As you say Great Heavy Soul Arrow is the best mana/damage ratio by far, and either it or the Great Soul Arrow should be your primary attack (Great Soul Arrow casts faster and is still cheap while hitting very hard) and weapon enchantments are incredibly strong. As are the shield enchantments. Great Magic Shield bumps your shield up to essentially 0 stamina drain on block, and 100% block everything. You can block bosses till the buff runs out with it, which is very handy for coop bossing.

A lot of this should have been fixed by now since it's the 5th/4th game in the series, but split damage weapons and infusions are still garbage and pure physical is still king because you can enchant it on top. While the damage/mana ratios of magic feel like they have been getting steadily worse every game since Demons Souls (the offensive miracles in DS3 are properly joke territory).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 19, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why they didn't just do the DS2 system where infused weapons could still be buffed with their equivalent resin/spell/whatever.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why they didn't just do the DS2 system where infused weapons could still be buffed with their equivalent resin/spell/whatever.

Yesss. My favorite thing about DS2, bar none, was being able to A) infuse weapons with innate elemental damage for more elemental damage, and B) buff it further. It made int and faith builds feel competitive commensurate to their stat investment. In DS3 you basically have to invest all your levels in one stat to be almost as good as pure melee.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

My guess is that they wanted to limit "double-dipping" and/or got a bee in their collective bonnet about spellcasting builds needing to "sacrifice" some melee ability.

I rather liked how buffs worked in DS2, but I also played spellcasters pretty heavily in that, so I might be biased because it worked pretty strongly in my favor. But I also think the same system would be fantastic in DS3 and balanced out by split damage. Your Crystal-infused sword might not do as much damage per hit as a Refined version of the same sword (assuming equivalent stats), but buffing it would let you trade some FP to temporarily boost it up.

I also kind of wish weapon buffs were more than just damage adds and/or delayed damage adds (Carthus Rouge). I dunno, DS3 kinda drove home how boring Souls magic is to me.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Lot of helpful tips. Thanks guys. I'm currently spamming my Heavy Soul Arrow most times but I do keep my Fire-Infused Broadsword on hand for emergencies and for when I want to conserve mana. I'll stay the course for now since I think I'm doing alright. At least until I find this Pyromancer guy. Last bonfire I lit was right before this side path where this giant is firing huge loving arrows at me. There was a keep on the other side of a bridge back behind me a ways, but I ignored it for now. Hope I'm on the right path.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Harrow posted:

My guess is that they wanted to limit "double-dipping" and/or got a bee in their collective bonnet about spellcasting builds needing to "sacrifice" some melee ability.

This would be fair if the two systems (melee and magic) were entirely separate. Melee-ers invest in STR and/or DEX as well as END, magic-users invest in INT and/or FTH as well as ATT. But it doesn't work that way because magic needs stamina too and a moderate bit of DEX if they want breathing room on casts while melee can roll Warrior at the start and never put a single point in INT/FTH/ATT.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

magic is underpowered *one shots people with a big old crystal spear* magic really needs a buff *does 1000000 damage through the wall with an imaginary sword* from really messed it up this time, by making magic worthless *does 8 (thats an infinity sign sideways) damage with a single pyromancy, killing any boss it can hit in 1 attack*

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I AM THE MOON posted:

magic is underpowered *one shots people with a big old crystal spear* magic really needs a buff *does 1000000 damage through the wall with an imaginary sword* from really messed it up this time, by making magic worthless *does 8 (thats an infinity sign sideways) damage with a single pyromancy, killing any boss it can hit in 1 attack*

This would be rad, were it implemented in a Souls game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I'm feeling stupid and having issues trying to gauge who you can be matched with BELOW your weapon upgrade level, if at all.

Or is it that if you have say, a +6 or +7 Weapon, it you're summon signs and invasions can't go to anyone with less than that? It's just that you can show up in the world of someone with higher upgrades than you?

Golden Goat posted:

He always murders the poo poo outta all his skeletons when he summoned them so they're almost never an issue.
They were easy for me up until they decided to glitch into being invulnerable on the last leg of my winning fight against the boss. "Oh, I only need two hits to kill these like the last two times he summoned them... Uh... Maybe fire orbs... Uh, WHAT."

I went from one estus used, to basically all of it thanks to Invulnerable bonewheels slamming me while I tried to attack the boss's last weakpoint, even as my weapon passed harmlessly through them and the boss couldn't hurt them either.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there any reason NOT to break into Lothric Castle early? There won't be any questlines or triggers hosed up by killing Dancer/Oceiros/Dragonslayer?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

Is there any reason NOT to break into Lothric Castle early? There won't be any questlines or triggers hosed up by killing Dancer/Oceiros/Dragonslayer?
Nope, you're fine quest-wise. My first win was after making a beeline for the BK Glaive before going after Vordt, and I completed all NPC questlines without issue.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

The biggest traps people playing sorceror builds fall into:
Using anything but the Soul Arrow spell line for anything but gimmicks (with the exception of the utility spells).
Not using weapons.
Using an infusion that stops enchantment.

As you say Great Heavy Soul Arrow is the best mana/damage ratio by far, and either it or the Great Soul Arrow should be your primary attack (Great Soul Arrow casts faster and is still cheap while hitting very hard) and weapon enchantments are incredibly strong. As are the shield enchantments. Great Magic Shield bumps your shield up to essentially 0 stamina drain on block, and 100% block everything. You can block bosses till the buff runs out with it, which is very handy for coop bossing.

A lot of this should have been fixed by now since it's the 5th/4th game in the series, but split damage weapons and infusions are still garbage and pure physical is still king because you can enchant it on top. While the damage/mana ratios of magic feel like they have been getting steadily worse every game since Demons Souls (the offensive miracles in DS3 are properly joke territory).

Infusions aren't necessarily bad, I had no problem using a fire rapier early in the game and then a crystal longsword as soon as I could get one. Probably not as ~optimal~ as using great magic weapon or a resin, but it saves hassle and it's still just fine for PvE. The difference would matter more for PvP, but the correct way to play a PvP wizard has already been established anyway. I actually make use of a decent number of other spells like soul greatsword, farron flashsword, great deep soul and affinity, so the slots count for a lot. They are more about fun than efficiency though.

Rankizama if you are on your first playthrough, just know that you generally aren't expected to beat the entire game game doing nothing but casting spells. You will want a decent melee weapon too (you've got that covered since you have a broadsword) and you should use it whenever an enemy is easy to finish off with it to save FP. Being a wizard your first playthrough is really difficult because you have to split your estus, but if you just stick with it the last third of the game will probably be much easier for you than for a cookie cutter strength/dex character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gee I wonder why that summon didn't protect his host?

Oh its because he's busy levitating into the sky, of course :regd09:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It should also be said again that much like most of the non-straight sword playstyles sorcerors would benefit a lot from working poise. The summoned weapon spells especially could be really cool if any hit didn't knock you out of the cast. If you've got the int for it, I recommend doing catalysts in each hand, and then alternating L1-R1 with farron flashsword. It's got it's own dual wield combo where you swing very fast. It's not practical, but it looks cool.

Digirat posted:

Rankizama if you are on your first playthrough, just know that you generally aren't expected to beat the entire game game doing nothing but casting spells. You will want a decent melee weapon too (you've got that covered since you have a broadsword) and you should use it whenever an enemy is easy to finish off with it to save FP. Being a wizard your first playthrough is really difficult because you have to split your estus, but if you just stick with it the last third of the game will probably be much easier for you than for a cookie cutter strength/dex character.

Yeah early game is the hardest, and you'll want a good melee weapon. Personally by Lothric castle I was using a +10 Raw Thrall Axe. It's stat requirement is tiny, it swings fast, you can enchant it with magic weapon and it's got a ludicrous weapon skill (turns out those quicksteps have a ton of i-frames). When I needed a shield I used the Spider Shield - it's one of the shields where stability just keeps going on up as you upgrade it, it's fairly light, it's a weapon-skill type and you can magic shield enchant it.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 19, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

If you've got the int for it, I recommend doing catalysts in each hand, and then alternating L1-R1 with farron flashsword. It's got it's own dual wield combo when you swing very fast. It's not practical, but it looks cool.

that's fuckin sick

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I AM THE MOON posted:

I also ran into a gank squad in Undead Settlement at level 10.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://fat.gfycat.com/PolishedImperturbableDunnart.webm

looks viable to me

removed url tags cause i dont know how to not make webm giant

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Nothing breaks, but be aware that as soon as you finish Irithyll (I think), Greirat will want to go to Lothric Castle, so you potentially lose him as a merchant for a long time depending on your progress.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

I AM THE MOON posted:

You need the "do insane damage when you have 5 hp" ring to do that stuff and it means any mistake is instant death. Unless you have enough faith to do the second chance miracle. It seems like the premise of casting is that you can spend FP to get safer attacks, but usually you can't, because they made most of the casts slow enough that enemies can catch up to you every time you press a button. It's weird. It ends up working OK.

RanKizama posted:

Lot of helpful tips. Thanks guys. I'm currently spamming my Heavy Soul Arrow most times but I do keep my Fire-Infused Broadsword on hand for emergencies and for when I want to conserve mana. I'll stay the course for now since I think I'm doing alright. At least until I find this Pyromancer guy. Last bonfire I lit was right before this side path where this giant is firing huge loving arrows at me. There was a keep on the other side of a bridge back behind me a ways, but I ignored it for now. Hope I'm on the right path.

The way forward is kind of not obvious from where you are, it seems like they wanted you to run around doing side quests for a while. If you want to beeline to the good sorcerer stuff just google "Orbeck" i guess. But yes that tower with the knight sitting outside is the next place you're required to go.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

It should also be said again that much like most of the non-straight sword playstyles sorcerors would benefit a lot from working poise. The summoned weapon spells especially could be really cool if any hit didn't knock you out of the cast. If you've got the int for it, I recommend doing catalysts in each hand, and then alternating L1-R1 with farron flashsword. It's got it's own dual wield combo where you swing very fast. It's not practical, but it looks cool.

Ugh yes getting knocked out of soul greatsword, great heavy soul arrow, soul spear etc at the last possible instant by a fly buzzing too close to your ear is the worst thing.

I need to try this with farron flashsword because it sounds sick and I do not know why they would put in a unique thing for using two catalysts

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Digirat posted:

I need to try this with farron flashsword because it sounds sick and I do not know why they would put in a unique thing for using two catalysts

Don't get too excited, it's just swinging them really fast. It basically cuts the little "lemme summon this sword now" part of the animation, for as long as you have stamina to keep swinging.

Supposedly there's more "spell combos", but apart from a little burst of "this sure is doing something" particles (which could just be a bug too, like the grapple escapes were in previous games) I can't tell what they actually do.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
look Sirris i like you and all, you're cool, but if you want my help with murder please actually contribute. getting parried over and over and healing yourself in a corner is unacceptable host behaviour

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Lacking any sort of hyper armor essentially defeats the purpose of SGS. It's close-range crowd control. If you're using it for its intended purpose it either needed to be fast or have hyper armor, and it has neither. I'm not sure what it actually does besides look cool on the rare occasions you can cast it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Soul Greatsword would be a such a good rat-killer if it had hyperarmor or poise worked. Also those loving stake-wielding dudes in the woods - realizing poise doesn't work finally explained why those are so drat dangerous.

Also, something to keep in mind with the summoned weapon spells: they cast from the tip of the catalyst, so the really long staff one gets you a very long farron flashsword. That can sort-of let it be used to kill rat swarms. If you're lucky and they don't jump.

Edit: vvvv Yeah I used it for the Deacons too - both magic sword summons really let you cleave into them. No idea what the dark magic one is supposed to be for. It's got bad damage, is single-target and short ranged but still has the long start-up.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 19, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Soul Greatsword would be a such a good rat-killer if it had hyperarmor or poise worked. Also those loving stake-wielding dudes in the woods - realizing poise doesn't work finally explained why those are so drat dangerous.

The rats were exactly what I was thinking of.

I guess if it serves one purpose it's like what the Storm Ruler is to Yhorm but for the Deacons - a weapon that's really good in one encounter but useless everywhere else.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
My new gimmick character "iWILL dieb4boss" has been getting a lot of summon hits actually.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

In case anyone's interested, LobosJr has been working on getting the game working with the FPS mod and in VR all day, and he's finally got it sort of playable: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

removed url tags cause i dont know how to not make webm giant

lol

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hate to say it but I'm not really feeling my faith build right now.

Faith seems to be built around buffs but maintaining more than one buff during an invasion just doesn't feel viable. Even with a lingering ring they will wear off and you wont have enough mana to recast them multiple times. I can see using one buff, but that leaves the question of what else am I doing with my faith investment? Basically nothing, because all the offensive spells I've gotten are too loving slow to actually use as an invader.

If you guys with your own faith builds can invade properly, I'd like to hear how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BobTheJanitor posted:

In case anyone's interested, LobosJr has been working on getting the game working with the FPS mod and in VR all day, and he's finally got it sort of playable: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Took me about 20 seconds to get motion sick enough I had to tab out on that. VR revolution is gonna be great!