Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Sanity from National Post

quote:

Justin Trudeau is not Jian Ghomeshi.

To make that comparison, however tangentially, as Conservative MP Lisa Raitt appeared to Thursday morning, of the prime minister’s — immature — display in the House of Commons Wednesday is insulting to the women allegedly hurt by Ghomeshi and anyone who has experienced gendered violence.

The fact this even needs to be said speaks to just how ridiculous and blindly partisan our politics have become.

(note: This tweet has since been deleted)

quote:

Disappointed that @ElizabethMay downplayed the event last night. Previously she said this about believing women. https://t.co/LTO9TUXgR2

— Lisa Raitt (@lraitt) May 19, 2016

But it’s where so many have taken the bizarre melee. In dismissing on Thursday morning Green Party Leader Elizabeth May’s reasonable response to the whole kerfuffle, Raitt linked to her colleague’s past statement about Ghomeshi and believing women. Raitt, for her part, has responded, saying her “point was about Elizabeth May’s comments about believing victims and I was clear on that. Not once did I compare the prime minister to Jian Ghomeshi, nor would I do that.”

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/733070757044101120

What happened Wednesday night in the House of Commons was certainly unparliamentary. It was most unbecoming of a prime minister to stride across the green carpet and try to force Gord Brown, the official opposition’s whip, into his seat. His reportedly vulgar language and the use of force were, Trudeau himself said in another apology, “was not appropriate.”

The fact that New Democrat Ruth Ellen Brosseau was elbowed in the exchange speaks to Trudeau’s excessive use of force.

This isn’t to condemn Brosseau’s understandable reaction; as any woman can tell you getting hit in the chest not only knocks the wind out of you, but at the right angle is the female equivalent of a shot to the ‘nads. It sucks.

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/733087994563829760

Trudeau was right to apologize more clearly on Thursday to both Brown and Brosseau.

His actions revealed an impatience and a sense of entitled control that are exactly why so many people worried he was “not ready.” It’s easy and lazy to turn that into a gendered thing as New Democrat Niki Ashton was too quick to do just minutes after the incident. It plays well; it might get headlines.

It’s also as infantilizing as it is infuriating.

Brosseau was right to be shaken regardless of her gender, not because of it.

To suggest otherwise is to imply that women are, in fact, a weaker sex and in need of special, precious protections. That undermines two centuries of women fighting for the right to an education then the vote then a place in parliament and equal wages. Raitt knows that, I’m sure, and so do many of her Conservative and NDP colleagues. But if they can tap into a popular debate, and gain some partisan points and link the prime minister with one of the most loathed men in the country, they will, facts be damned.

It’s very clear to anyone who watched the footage — as May, who had a front-row seat put it — that Trudeau hit Brosseau “unintentionally.”

Gendered violence is not and cannot be accidental. It’s intended purpose is to control or belittle women, to keep them in their “place.” That elbow could have just as easily hit a male MP, had the way people were standing been just slightly different. You can’t commit gendered violence against someone you can’t see.

Trudeau’s actions Wednesday were inexcusable. But they were also not gendered; to suggest so is to undermine the real physical or sexual violence that as many as half of Canadian women will experience at the hands of a partner, loved one or stranger in their lives.

Domestic and gender violence is too important issue to be reduced to reductionist talking points.

I, for one, believe that women, and especially our parliamentarians, are made of stronger stuff than to be cowed by what was essentially a temper tantrum. As Mary Wollstonecraft once wrote, “My own sex, I hope, will excuse me if I treat them like rational creatures, instead of flattering their fascinating graces, and viewing them as if they were in a state of perpetual childhood, unable to stand alone.”

After the initial wave of sensational and biased media it seems like most people are going "No way, that's silly" which is reassuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What's less reassuring is that I think Ashton's reaction is a sincere response based on how elite members of the left have been trained to view the world over the last few decades. It's just an example of how the academic turn in the left has created a situation where leftist's lose touch with how everyone else see's the world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

What's less reassuring is that I think Ashton's reaction is a sincere response based on how elite members of the left have been trained to view the world over the last few decades. It's just an example of how the academic turn in the left has created a situation where leftist's lose touch with how everyone else see's the world.

Excellent point.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Brannock posted:

Gendered violence is not and cannot be accidental. It’s intended purpose is to control or belittle women, to keep them in their “place.”

He's taking away their equality by using his manly gifts to achieve his desired political outcomes in the house of commons. Even if he hadn't touched Ruth, he figured it was acceptable to muscle his way through smaller people and pull a dude over to accelerate some vote. A parliament where that mentality is acceptable isn't a parliament where women are equal.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ikantski posted:

He's taking away their equality by using his manly gifts to achieve his desired political outcomes in the house of commons. Even if he hadn't touched Ruth, he figured it was acceptable to muscle his way through smaller people and pull a dude over to accelerate some vote.
At least five people itt don't grok this basic concept, and probably never will at this rate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh for gently caress sake. His "manly gifts?" I don't think he was using a level of force beyond what the average woman could summon with little effort. If you think that women are all weak and pathologically unassertive, that's more a reflection on you than anything else.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yeah, see this way of characterizing the incident:

Ikantski posted:

He's taking away their equality by using his manly gifts to achieve his desired political outcomes in the house of commons. Even if he hadn't touched Ruth, he figured it was acceptable to muscle his way through smaller people and pull a dude over to accelerate some vote. A parliament where that mentality is acceptable isn't a parliament where women are equal.

Is a lot more accessible and comprehensible than talking about "gendered violence". Once again the use of academic sounding terminology rather than plain speech serves to obfuscate an issue that should be fairly clear cut.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
People literally stood aside for JT, there was no "muscling" involved

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
JT alpha'd his way through a bunch of beta opposition mp's :shrug:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Remind me again why there is a SCC deadline? Like, what is the SCC going to do if this bill isn't passed in time?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It wont be criminalized and without "sound and reasoned judgement from the Liberal Party of Canada" who work diligently to creat the bill that Harper had left for him.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The National Energy Board (NEB) has recommended approval of the controversial Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain expansion project. NEB reports found the benefits of the Trans Mountain project is 'considerable'. Benefits include jobs and market diversification. :lol:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

THC posted:

The National Energy Board (NEB) has recommended approval of the controversial Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain expansion project. NEB reports found the benefits of the Trans Mountain project is 'considerable'. Benefits include jobs and market diversification. :lol:

Back to the mountain then

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The international markets are just clamouring to buy our lovely dirty oil! Think of the jahbs!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Meat Recital posted:

Remind me again why there is a SCC deadline? Like, what is the SCC going to do if this bill isn't passed in time?

There will no longer be any law governing doctor assisted suicide, much like abortion: fire up the death panels and clear the ice floes.

THC posted:

Aren't there like 150 conditions on that approval? I haven't read the report so they could be nothing, but that seems like an important thing to leave out.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

#Elbowgate is the most disappointing sequel to The Shawinigan Handshake I could possibly imagine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

#Elbowgate is the most disappointing sequel to The Shawinigan Handshake I could possibly imagine.

It wasn't a sequel to the Shawinigan Handshake. It was a dollar store knockoff of the Corey Lewandowski mess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

When the SCC strikes down laws they typically set deadlines for parliament to rewrite the law or write a new one that complies with their interpretation of the Constitution. Until that deadline, or until a new law is passed, the old law remains in force. If that deadline passes without a new law being written, then the old law is struck from the books completely and, without a replacement, whatever it enacted is no longer in force at all.

For example, let's say the SCC found that the current Canadian law criminalizing prostitution was unconstitutional and gave Parliament a year to rewrite the legislation. During that year, the old law on prostitution remains in force and it remains criminalized. If six months later Parliament were to pass a new law on prostitution, the old one would be struck from the books and the new one would come into force immediately. If, however, during that year Parliament did not pass a new law governing prostitution, then at the expiry of the deadline the old law would be struck from the books and prostitution would become de facto legal, because there would no longer be a law criminalizing it. Note however that there would be nothing stopping Parliament from writing a new law six months after that recriminalizing prostitution, as long as that law complied with the specifics of the SCC's ruling on the original law. The only thing that would change is that for six months there would be no law criminalizing it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Does anyone still give a poo poo about the euthanasia issue? Just me? :smith:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Is there anyone ITT who doesn't think energy east is going to happen too?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Pixelante posted:

We did one in december on our floor, shortly after it became legal, and a second patient is asking to have it done soon. I'm all for it

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pixelante posted:

I still think it's unfair we blame the youth in Asia for ending the lives of the elderly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_uJHdOtdc

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Only if we can forcibly euthanize everyone in Vancouver

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Candidate in the PQ leadership race wants less immigrants, because of course he does

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Nine of Eight posted:

We did one in december on our floor, shortly after it became legal, and a second patient is asking to have it done soon. I'm all for it

There is something gauche about being all for it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nine of Eight posted:

I'm in favour too, but also believe doctors should be allowed to refuse to administer for moral/religious reasons.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm in favour too, but also believe doctors should be allowed to refuse to administer for moral/religious reasons.

They are, as are the treating nurse and pharmacist.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Ok, I'm mildly enthusiastic about the ability of those who are suffering to make a decision.

:unsmith:

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 20, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nine of Eight posted:

They are, as are the treating nurse and pharmacist.

As per the SCC guidelines that may end up as de facto law if the Libs can't get this legislation passed.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

Ontario PC leader Brown bringing progressive stance to old party values

JANE TABER

TORONTO — The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:30PM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:35PM EDT

Next week in Vancouver, Patrick Brown, the leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party, will speak to a group of gay, lesbian and transgender Tories about equality and how it doesn’t matter who you love.

The very next day, he will speak to another group, telling them that climate change is a threat, man-made, and he’s got a solution to combat it.

A year into his leadership, Mr. Brown, 37, is putting his own modern twist on the old PC party. A year ago, it would have been heretical for an Ontario Tory leader to endorse same-sex marriage or utter the words man-made and climate change in the same sentence.

“The beautiful thing about being leader of the party … is you get to act in accordance with exactly how you feel,” Mr. Brown said in an interview Tuesday. “You’ve got to be comfortable in your own skin.”

He was speaking in advance of his trip to Vancouver for the federal Conservative convention. Next Thursday, he is addressing the LGBTory group at their pub night. He supports their efforts to get language opposing same-sex marriage out of federal party policy.

The next day, he will speak to Canadians for Clean Prosperity, a non-government organization (NGO) run by Mark Cameron, a former adviser to Stephen Harper. His group was described recently in a media report as one that is pushing for market-friendly ways to fight global warming.

“It’s a lot of fun just being yourself,” Mr. Brown said. “Certainly, there were times in Ottawa where I would have taken a different approach [from Mr. Harper’s].”

Before becoming provincial leader last May, Mr. Brown served as the Conservative MP for Barrie in Mr. Harper’s caucus. He was criticized by his opponents in the provincial leadership race and also by Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals for being a social conservative.

In 2006, for example, Mr. Brown voted with most of his caucus to take another look at the legislation allowing gays and lesbians to get married. He explains his vote as following a platform commitment.

But added: “Those stories of the Prime Minister’s Office being centralized … there might have been a little truth to that.” That was a reference to the command and control of the caucus emanating from Mr. Harper’s office.

And so, last year, Mr. Brown became the first Ontario PC leader to march in the Toronto Pride Parade. Then, at his party’s convention in Ottawa earlier this year, he surprised many delegates with his statement that climate change was man-made.

He recognizes now he’s making it difficult for the Ontario Liberals to define him.

“I think the Liberals are … struggling now to find out what their next smear campaign is going to be,” he says.

He knows, too, he’ll be creating tension within his own ranks as a result of these new positions, but argues that as a young leader, he is exactly where his friends and peers are. He says for them the debate over climate change and same-sex marriage is over.

“We all believe in equality and are looking forward to the day when it [the debate] is over in the federal party as well,” he says.

And he has a warning for the federal Conservatives, who need to make gains in Ontario in the next federal election if they want to come back to power. He says the federal Tories need to show that they “unequivocally support the equality of marriage and … frankly that we won’t simply criticize the Liberals on the environment but have our own … solutions.”

A long-time provincial Tory, who asked not to be named, said there will be critics of Mr. Brown’s approach; there will be some in the party who feel alienated by his more progressive positions. But, like Mr. Brown, he isn’t interested in rolling back the clock and believes that the angry e-mails will become fewer and fewer.

The veteran Tory does not believe that Mr. Brown is bringing the party to the middle. Rather, his views reflect what is happening across society now.

Mr. Brown says: “People want a reasonable alternative to the Liberals in Ontario. … People in past elections felt there wasn’t a real alternative. Now they see that there is a PC Party that … wants to be fiscally responsible but at the same time cares about the social infrastructure of the province, cares about protecting our environment and isn’t out of sync on social issues.”

Honestly this sounds really similar to what Horwath was trying to do. The relevant difference being that there's an actual precedent for the PC's being this kind of party under Bill Davis, whereas Horwath trying to drag a bunch of unionists and socialists into the centre came off as really incongruent and disingenuous.

I can see why the Liberals are going all in for their environmental plan. Like ikantski was saying, they need to be able to keep striking a contrast between themselves and the PCs or half their justification for being in office will evaporate.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Nine of Eight posted:

I'm cautiously for it. If I get Alzheimers like my father, I'm tapping out as soon as possible. Gun, pillow, tranqs: whatever gets the job done.

However, it's a problem when disability and mental health are considered. The option of euthanasia is predicated on the notion that alternative solutions to unlivable suffering were available. Unfortunately, for a lot of people they aren't. The Vulnerable Persons Standard does a pretty good job covering it. Essentially, unless we're prepared to fix a lot of expensive problems with the health care system, euthanasia really ought to be limited to end-of-life. Right now, the wording allows for disability as a justifiable reason.

Consider what happened in the Netherlands, who formally legalised euthanasia in 2001:

“…the Netherlands has moved from euthanasia of people who are terminally ill, to euthanasia of those who are chronically ill; from euthanasia for physical illness, to euthanasia for mental illness; from euthanasia for mental illness, to euthanasia for psychological distress or mental suffering—and now to euthanasia simply if a person is over the age of 70 and ‘tired of living.’ Dutch euthanasia protocols have also moved from conscious patients providing explicit consent, to unconscious patients unable to provide consent. Denying euthanasia or PAS [physician-assisted suicide] in the Netherlands is now considered a form of discrimination against people with chronic illness, whether the illness be physical or psychological, because those people will be forced to ‘suffer’ longer than those who are terminally ill. Non-voluntary euthanasia is now being justified by appealing to the social duty of citizens and the ethical pillar of beneficence.” (pulled from a 2011 article in Current Oncology)

v Thing of beauty, eh? v

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 20, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lgbt Tories

What in gently caress

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They're gay men who got their marriage rights (thanks activists!) and feel it's time to move onto more important things: supply-side economics, fiscal conservatism and the gospel of personal responsibility!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Lgbt Tories

What in gently caress

Rich LGBT people who vote the way other rich people do, for the same reasons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kafka Esq. posted:

I watched my grandma slowly deteriorate mentally for 6 years, that's a grenade I'm willing to jump on

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Filmed through a gendered lens, a Brosseau on Trudeau sex-tape would be pretty rad.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

time for a roll call

all you dumb motehrfuckers who voted NDP, confess your sins

I did, but if it helps, when I got home tonight I phoned the NDP and left a message telling them I'm "resigning" my membership and don't want to get their emails anymore, then I sent them an email as well (explaining that I thought the theatrics and behavior over #Elbowgate was the final straw, which I couldn't do on the phone because I'm a limp wristed etc etc)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

Rich LGBT people who vote the way other rich people do, for the same reasons

They're mostly GB though, let's be honest

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Through a lense, genderedly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

https://twitter.com/curryb/status/733321309178974208

:golfclap:

Can we bring in a high school model Parliament to replace everyone up on the hill?

Can someone elaborate on this for me because CBC has nothing on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Kafka Esq. posted:

There was also probably something gauche about being all for quick organ transplants, ect, but its a literally life-changing issue for a lot of people, and I'm not surprised euthanasia it's coming up now that the baby-boomer's are starting a steadily growing migration to the pearly gates. Having worked in a dementia clinic, where half the patients spent their time with utterly defeated faces and unable to speak, smile or I assume comprehend and remember anything going on around them I've become a bit more "all for it."

My grandmother totally would have wanted to be euthanized, she signed a form asking doctors not to do anything in case of heart-attack, ect. Her body was super resilient but her mind went quickly and my mother spend three years of her life visiting and feeding her every second day, really shifted the family dynamic and priorities. My grandmother really didn't want that, but its near impossible to abandon someone you love to years of solitary confinement even if they literally don't seem to have a mind. I can only imagine its worse for struggling families and again think its important in this time in history when we seem to have the medical technology to keep all the vital organs functional for years and years after the brain is gone. It's tricky ethically but really important to face.