Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon and Killua ran out because they were such prodigies. Usually anyone who learns nen spends years doing the basic training which improves their amount of aura before they are ready to really fight other nen users. So the result was that they had advanced abilities which their aura pools couldn't sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gon and Killua ran out because they were such prodigies. Usually anyone who learns nen spends years doing the basic training which improves their amount of aura before they are ready to really fight other nen users. So the result was that they had advanced abilities which their aura pools couldn't sustain.

Killua and Gon are also weird in that because of their raw power and potential, their fundamental nen techniques aren't as good as what you'd expect for someone so strong. Like, Killua is running around with the high tier pros in the Chimera Ant arc acquitting himself pretty well and he doesn't even know how to use En. Before Greed Island they didn't even have a hatsu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anyway Chrollo is skilled. And eventually he probably will feel safe to start sending bombs at Hisoka.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why is there anyone still hanging around to watch this fight? These are some really devoted fans.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clarste posted:

Why is there anyone still hanging around to watch this fight? These are some really devoted fans.

if they ran for the exits they'd get trampled. Safer to stay in the seats.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

if they ran for the exits they'd get trampled. Safer to stay in the seats.

these are some clear thinking motherfuckers

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
One of the powers of Nen is being able to think up seven-paragraph reasoning for your own actions in a tenth of a second. It's probably related to that psychic death-perception thing.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Clarste posted:

look motherfucker i spent a lot of work making this sign and i am sure as hell going to use it dammit

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

TWIST FIST posted:

look motherfucker i spent a lot of work making this sign and i am sure as hell going to use it dammit

That page is the illest poo poo I've seen in shounen in loving forever god drat.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Really? Thats a pretty bold statement. Should I be reading World Trigger then?

WT is alright but sometimes I forgot who the minor characters are because there's just so many teams with their own unique issues within each one. The anime was disappointing though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
WT has a few really good points but is otherwise very bland.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

God drat this battle owns. Sending a fighter with a basic ability and raw combat instinct against a tactician with a dozen or more tools at his disposal is the poo poo.

It also helps that togashi is like the GRRM of manga, in that it is entirely plausible that a main character like Hisoka might actually die.

Personally I believe that chrollo is gonna use some ruse to make Hisoka think he's dead, somehow. The only reason he wants to fight to the death is so Hisoka won't follow him, he doesn't really care about winning.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Clarste posted:

They're a fighting audience those people are D E D I C A T E D to seeing some wild poo poo go down.

See also; Battle Angel Alita where the audience happily watched a fight between a black hole karate champion and an all-consuming plant-creature.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pierson posted:

They're a fighting audience those people are D E D I C A T E D to seeing some wild poo poo go down.

See also; Battle Angel Alita where the audience happily watched a fight between a black hole karate champion and an all-consuming plant-creature.

To be fair he only used his black holes to stop the antimatter karate champion from killing everyone in the audience.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Really? Thats a pretty bold statement. Should I be reading World Trigger then?

The setting and characters aren't nearly as good as HxH, but it has some very well done (usually team) battles. What makes its battles strong is that, like HxH, characters face each other with a known set of abilities that they use in believable and creative ways. Most characters also use various standardized weapons, so they know what the other characters have access to ability-wise and can't spontaneously pull bullshit out of their asses. Even the non-standardized weapons (the black triggers) still have very straight-forward abilities that are used in reasonable ways.

The best way to know whether a shounen manga's battles are good is to ask yourself whether you think "The resolution of that fight is both interesting/creative and makes complete sense!" The vast majority of shounen fail at that latter point, instead just having characters with vaguely defined abilities clash against each other until one randomly ends up winning (even some otherwise good shounen are guilty of this, like Black Clover).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The other thing about hxh battles is that the fights don't resolve in the obvious way, or insist on making everyone fight everyone.

A generic shonen manga would have Kurapika start at the weakest member of the troupe and work his way up through the numbers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Leorio still hasn't had a real fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Leorio still hasn't had a real fight.

I believe you'll find he has a 1-0 win record over Ging.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Does the Noggin Luggin' Tortoise count as a fight?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He tried to fight Hisoka in the exam and immediately got his rear end knocked out. That was pretty good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roland Jones posted:

He tried to fight Hisoka in the exam and immediately got his rear end knocked out. That was pretty good.

I like how just picking up a random stick used to be his go to move in the beginning.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also ineffectually brandished a switchblade sometimes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon mostly carried his rear end through the hunter exam.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

I like how just picking up a random stick used to be his go to move in the beginning.

Yep. And the first time we saw him do it, he was planning on beating the poo poo out of an old woman with it. Kind of funny that he turned out to be the sane, reasonable, "nice" one of the group in retrospect.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
remember that time leorio nearly attempted to murder kurapika over an imagined slight

good times

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

remember that time leorio nearly attempted to murder kurapika over an imagined slight

good times

Can't expect too much maturity from him.

He's just a teenager.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlie Bobson posted:

good times

Kurapika intentionally refused to use the proper level of respect for his elder despite being corrected 2 times. Leorio then talked poo poo about Kurapika's clan and a duel was on. It was 60-40 Kurapika/Leorio fighting over dumb poo poo.

Age based honorifics seem like a real pain in the rear end.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Kurapika intentionally refused to use the proper level of respect for his elder despite being corrected 2 times. Leorio then talked poo poo about Kurapika's clan and a duel was on. It was 60-40 Kurapika/Leorio fighting over dumb poo poo.

Oh, so that's what it originally was? The official translation was something like him calling Leorio "Rioleo" or something like that, deliberately getting his name wrong repeatedly.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Leorio is one of the few unabashedly good people in a manga jam packed full of horrific murderers and varying shades of psychopaths and I won't hear a word said against him.

You can say Gon carried him through the Hunter Exam, but to be honest, he carried Kurapica as well and he's competent as poo poo, so it's not really that big a deal.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Honestly Leorio's biggest hangup power-wise is just that he wasn't really playing the same game as everyone else. He was always out to become a doctor and help people so he wasn't looking to become a powerful fighter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Leorio's deal is that he acts tough because he had to be tough what with the circumstances of his youth, but deep down he's a total softy who (typically, but not always) wants to do the right thing. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is easily riled because he cares too much. The propriety of his actions aside, the whole reason he attacks the old woman during the Hunter Exam preliminaries is because he perceives her as suggesting some lives have more weight than others and that it should be easy to choose who lives and who dies, an issue which understandably strikes a bit too close to home for the guy.

He's emotional and impulsive and easily irritated, but he's almost unambiguously the most morally-minded character in the story.

Anyway, this fight just keeps topping itself. I figured this chapter would be the end after Hisoka pulled the ol' "I know you know I know" bit last time, but nope; Chrollo's still got him on the ropes, at least for the time being. While I much prefer Hisoka as a villain/character over Chrollo, it's been fascinating to see him in a situation where, for once, he's not in control. I just hope Togashi doesn't wuss out and give us an ending where both sides walk away more or less unscathed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad the last volume we're ever going to get is him just making sure this fight happens

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Leorio's worst feature is his surname, loving Paladiknight - he sounds like a Digimon.

I mean he's no Quwrof Wrlccywrlir or anything

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Gyges posted:

Eh you get used to it over time v:v:v

I look forward to more Leorio and Kurapika's adventures SOON.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

The honorifics are fine, it's using humble speech and acting respectful that sucks

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The honorifics are fine, it's using humble speech and acting respectful that sucks

I'll stick with "gently caress you, you're not better than me" languages for the common man. If you're lucky I'll call you Mr.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Leorio because he has an important role in the story that a lot of shonen wouldn't give him. He's the "Krillin" for lack of a better word of the group, the weakest of the lot who is defined by his friendship to the others. He's also the moral center of the group despite being the weakest and HxH is willing to treat that as significent, much as it is willing to actually treat Gon and Killua's and Kurapika's failings as actual failings instead of merely expected parts of the genre.Leorio makes dumb mistakes but is genuinely a good-hearted honest person who wants to help people and while he doesn't get great fighters neither is that treated as a weakness or unimportant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Leorio was kind of stunted by the introduction of nen. There was all that talk about how long developing nen usually takes and how Gon and Killua were freakishly talented and Kurapika took an insane shortcut. So Leorio, as the sane but otherwise less gifted member of the quartet, got left far behind.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
if leorio can stimulate adrenal glands and the bodies own opioid receptors, fix internal bleeding and stop pain signals with his nen he could become a great teammate for the trials to come.
Open an anatomy book togashi, it's all there to make him work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The time gap between Leorio only knowing about Ren and him using a fully developed hatsu to punch Ging in the face is only like a year, right? Gon and Killua might be freaks of nature but i dont think leorio's that far behind them, he could be in the upper tiers of hunter ability