Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

i dont think that the AfO/OfA conflict can sustain a 400+ chapter mainstay Jump behemoth. and shueisha is pinning its future on MHA. they want another big drat series. you can always introduce a stronger villain, and its gonna happen eventually imo

Or Horikoshi will have the artistic integrity to not do that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If the series keeps going it will be about the continuing growth of Class 1-A (and 1-B and friends) as actual heroes and the stuff they have to do to protect the world

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Genocyber posted:

i dont think there's anything wrong with it, though. goku doesnt need to fight the red ribbon army his whole life

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Genocyber posted:

Basically, unless it's tied to All For One's story if the "Patient Zero" for quirks turns out to be a villain after AFO's defeat it might be time to punch out.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't know why AFO has to be the be-all-end-all of villains :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If one person can't threaten Deku at his theoretical peak, then have a bunch of people fight him together.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Aurora posted:

I don't know why AFO has to be the be-all-end-all of villains :shrug:
I would like Midoriya to have his own badguys instead of just inheriting All Might's or having ones that're just mooks for AFO myself. He really deserves his owns rogues gallery.

The problem is that AFO seems uh, kinda insanely powerful so I dunno how you top him without getting Toriko levels of silly.

I enjoy the cape comic influences but I'd hope this doesn't end with Midoriya punching the multiverse.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fabricated posted:

I would like Midoriya to have his own badguys instead of just inheriting All Might's or having ones that're just mooks for AFO myself. He really deserves his owns rogues gallery.

The problem is that AFO seems uh, kinda insanely powerful so I dunno how you top him without getting Toriko levels of silly.

I enjoy the cape comic influences but I'd hope this doesn't end with Midoriya punching the multiverse.

They're going to kill each other and we'll have dueling Deku/ Shigaraki screaming realizations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Deku's main badguy is going to be Shigaraki.

Soylentbits posted:

They're going to kill each other and we'll have dueling Deku/ Shigaraki screaming realizations.

It's going to rule hard.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deku's main badguy is going to be Shigaraki.
Emotionally, mentally, yeah.

AFO is the combat big-bad though unless he can pass his own quirk down to Shigaraki- which could happen.

Midoriya will beat AFO, but he'll "save" Shigaraki. I guarantee at least the latter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There's gonna be a reason that AfO raises a successor (other than "but OfA is doing it too!" of course), and the reason will remove him from the playing field in the near future

problem solved

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

AFO is the combat big-bad though unless he can pass his own quirk down to Shigaraki- which could happen.

Midoriya will beat AFO, but he'll "save" Shigaraki. I guarantee at least the latter.

I think Shigaraki's being set up far more clearly as Deku's enemy than AFO. AFO is like you said still an All Might foe and only someone that it seems Deku would fight due to OFA's history with him. But Shigaraki has so many parallels with Deku already, they're being set up almost as mirrors and I think them tussling would be more fitting than Deku against AFO.

They're students of the biggest Hero and Villain in the world, they're the future. I honestly don't think this manga or these last few chapters are building to Deku v All For One, but Deku vs Shigaraki instead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Shigaraki's definitely going to be the "main" villain of this; All For One may return at the end if he doesn't bite it, but he's not Deku's "true" villain. Shigaraki's growing alongside Deku, and has already made pretty good progress towards succeeding his mentor. Far more than Deku has; we've seen him doing things like effectively leading the VA, and they seem to actually respect him now. Heck, in this very chapter, Toga (who in the past he, you know, tried to kill and all) begged him for help, and his reaction was to do the very un-Shigaraki thing of jumping between her and Gran Torino to defend her. He's clearly learning from AFO well; if AFO does die or get captured here, he could probably lead the VA personally now. Biggest issue for them would be the lack of new Noumus, since they need All For One to create those. Though, if AFO escapes and survives long enough to pass on his quirk(s)...

Well, All For One did declare Shigaraki the new Symbol of Evil. Perhaps its time for his official debut.

Edit: Actually, on that topic, I'm thinking that All Might may not die here yet, if only so Shigaraki can be the architect of his downfall, whether by killing him or not. After all, Shigaraki's goal is a world without All Might; while AFO could do that for him, it seems like he should be the one to achieve that. Though, AFO defeating All Might but dying could be the catalyst he needs; after moping and raging and whatnot, he collects himself and dedicates himself to a new goal (well, "new"; it'd really be more refocusing himself on the other part of his goal): The complete destruction of the "hero society".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2016

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I think we're gonna get some flashback chapters and for once I'm hyped for it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Genocyber posted:

rear end Class was huge and ended on schedule after 4 years so who knows what will happen

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

There's lots of ways the series could expand long stretches without just introducing an Even More Powerful Freeza than last time.

For example, there could be an ark where they take a class trip to America (a la Eyeshield 21) and learn from the heroes/fight absurd American style villains.

Deku could visit all 50 States & Some major cities to learn new SMASH moves.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

There's lots of ways the series could expand long stretches without just introducing an Even More Powerful Freeza than last time.

For example, there could be an ark where they take a class trip to America (a la Eyeshield 21) and learn from the heroes/fight absurd American style villains.

Deku could visit all 50 States & Some major cities to learn new SMASH moves.

I never realized how loving badly I wanted this until now. :swoon:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Only if we get a cameo by the greatest superhero, Florida Man.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Nalin posted:

Only if we get a cameo by the greatest superhero, Florida Man.

https://youtu.be/jc-lA-S9qkA

Not the hero we need, but the hero we deserve.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

https://youtu.be/jc-lA-S9qkA

Not the hero we need, but the hero we deserve.

I'd watch it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Fabricated posted:

Isn't that what the hands all over Shigaraki are doing? At least I thought that...I can't remember where I got that idea.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space-Bird posted:

Isn't that what the hands all over Shigaraki are doing? At least I thought that...I can't remember where I got that idea.

That was never confirmed, it's just an idea a lot of people like. At present all we've seen them doing is being a source of comfort for him, and the one on his face is his father's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why would the guy whose quirk is transferring quirks need to use a bunch of severed hands? It isn't like he needs to perform a ritual or anything.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why would the guy whose quirk is transferring quirks need to use a bunch of severed hands? It isn't like he needs to perform a ritual or anything.

Maybe overstuffing someone with quirks kills them/warps their body? And the way to avoid this is using some proxy.

Is AfO's jacked up body only a result of his previous fight with All Might, or is there something else going on there?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Maybe shigaraki is just hosed up in the head a bit. And keeps severed hands of people he's killed for his costume.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I just saw X men Apocalypse and, huh, they've basically made Apocalypse One for All, at least as far as powers go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe overstuffing someone with quirks kills them/warps their body? And the way to avoid this is using some proxy.

Is AfO's jacked up body only a result of his previous fight with All Might, or is there something else going on there?

Why would severed hands hold quirks? Like, there has been no indication that they are alive. He wears them around but he has never done anything with them. The heroes all wear costumes to assist their quirks, so why not the villains? Also, a41's head was smashed to pieces which is why All Might assumed he was dead. Why should there be another, unrelated reason for his head being all hosed up?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
giving someone multiple quirks fucks them up which is why they end up as noumu's. its just speculation that its a way to transfer powers without loving someone up since all for one is raising his successor

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The first time a41 was mentioned it said that multiple quirks may gently caress someone up. If it never worked he would only ever use it to make noumus. Though, noumus are a recent invention as All Might didn't know what the one that came to ua was. If his only options back in the day were "steal quirks" and "turn people into useless drooling vegetables" I don't really see how a41 would ever have been able to take over a country.

Then there is how we saw from the scene with Best Jeanist, a41 is carefully selecting quirks to give to Shigaraki. Meaning, he can't just stuff infinite amounts into the guy so he only wants the best. That is also why I doubt he is passing on his own quirk. If Shigaraki could steal them himself he could pick and choose when the time came.

I guess a41 might bequeath some of his enormous quirk collection to other members of the villain alliance, too. Most of them are barely any better than largely untrained kids, and those kids are continually improving. The villains will need some kind of edge if they are going to be believable threats for the rest of the class.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i thought he didn't want to give him best jeanists quirk mostly because it requires a huge amount of training to be good with rather than not being powerful enough

i'm not saying the hands are how he's passing on quirks though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

i thought he didn't want to give him best jeanists quirk mostly because it requires a huge amount of training to be good with rather than not being powerful enough

i'm not saying the hands are how he's passing on quirks though

If he isn't giving Shigaraki every powerful quirk he comes across, then obviously Shigaraki can't handle all those quirks. Or I guess maybe a41 has a limit on how many he can transfer in his current condition? I think the former is more likely, though of course we still have no details on how a41 even works.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My guess was that he can only give maybe one extra quirk to someone normally. Or in the past, maybe he recruited quirkless people in order to tempt them with a promise of power. The only times we've heard of him giving quirks to someone who already has a quirk has been noumus and One for All. Which, if remember right, resulted in the quirks merging, so it could even be that noumus are the only way to gift multiple quirks and keep them separate, and quirk merging is too much of a crapshoot to risk. Still lots of info to learn here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Noumus are a recent invention. Going off of that one exposition chapter, originally people who couldn't handle multiple quirks ended up broken and useless. They don't naturally turn into exposed brain monsters when quirks are inserted into them. Instead, they are remodeled so that they can be somewhat functional soldiers. I dunno if a41 does that part personally or what, but it doesn't really matter. The dude is on his way out, and I don't think his quirk is getting passed down.

Though, I suppose it is possible for him to make a grand reappearance after Shigaraki "Midboss" Tomura goes down, but it is way too early to predict that sort of thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
AFO's also got that doctor who some people think looks a lot like Deku's childhood doctor; I think he might be involved in the Noumu creation process too, if he's not there just to keep AFO alive.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

AFO's also got that doctor who some people think looks a lot like Deku's childhood doctor; I think he might be involved in the Noumu creation process too, if he's not there just to keep AFO alive.

Now that is the start of a fanfiction story. AFO and Deku meet in the hospital lobby and villainy ensues

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

considering an unhealth all might destroyed an unhealthy all for one deku is going to be unstoppable if he gets full power and i look forward to the spin off where his successor decides to take over the world

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Noumus are a recent invention. Going off of that one exposition chapter, originally people who couldn't handle multiple quirks ended up broken and useless. They don't naturally turn into exposed brain monsters when quirks are inserted into them. Instead, they are remodeled so that they can be somewhat functional soldiers. I dunno if a41 does that part personally or what, but it doesn't really matter. The dude is on his way out, and I don't think his quirk is getting passed down.

Though, I suppose it is possible for him to make a grand reappearance after Shigaraki "Midboss" Tomura goes down, but it is way too early to predict that sort of thing.

You don't think Shigaraki is going to walk a parallel path to Deku, and take up AfO's mantle like Deku is taking up All Might's? The narrative clues seem to be pointing strongly towards that, but it'll be neat to see what happens, regardless.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

My guess was that he can only give maybe one extra quirk to someone normally. Or in the past, maybe he recruited quirkless people in order to tempt them with a promise of power. The only times we've heard of him giving quirks to someone who already has a quirk has been noumus and One for All. Which, if remember right, resulted in the quirks merging, so it could even be that noumus are the only way to gift multiple quirks and keep them separate, and quirk merging is too much of a crapshoot to risk. Still lots of info to learn here.

He wouldn't even need to recruit quirkless people. Just find someone with a lovely quirk, take away their lovely quirk, and give them a new good quirk.

And hell, if he's using some sort of connection to the medical profession, as looks maybe possible, to steal good quirks from the young he could just throw away the lovely quirks he keeps accumulating into the kids he takes good quirks away from. It'd end up just looking like the quality of quirks is going down over time and would functionally preemptively weaken his (possible) foes and victims while strengthening himself and his allies.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
But then you get into the weirdness that is the quirks v traits thing, or something like Midoriya's situation: the quirk just does not suit his body - yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

You don't think Shigaraki is going to walk a parallel path to Deku, and take up AfO's mantle like Deku is taking up All Might's? The narrative clues seem to be pointing strongly towards that, but it'll be neat to see what happens, regardless.

Oh, that is totally where the story is going. But if it gets continued past that point, there is a new(ish) and more dangerous villain than Shigaraki waiting in the wings. A41 needs to stay the gently caress out of dodge while Deku develops, and killing him off would be the easiest way to do so. But once Shigaraki is taken care of, a41 could end up back on the table. I don't really think that is likely, but it is a possibility albeit one that is years away. We'll see how much Horikoshi likes having a successful series after all those failures, I guess.