Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
refleks
Nov 21, 2006

someone tell me the correct opinion to hold so i dont have to care about this poo poo.

yospos bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

it seems like a lot of people think oracle is asserting they own a copyright on String.compareTo(String), but I think it's more accurate to say they have a copyright on java.lang.String.compareTo(java.lang.String) which isn't nearly as broad

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

refleks posted:

someone tell me the correct opinion to hold so i dont have to care about this poo poo.

yospos bitch

both companies are bad, sit back and enjoy either side getting a legal beatdown

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Google lawyer just slammed the economist who said 'a java phone was inevitable success' and that android stole the thunder by not licensing by listing a long list of terrible javaphones that failed before and after android got around, and even whipped a SavaJe phone in the face of the economist to show how lovely it was apparently

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it seems like a lot of people think oracle is asserting they own a copyright on String.compareTo(String), but I think it's more accurate to say they have a copyright on java.lang.String.compareTo(java.lang.String) which isn't nearly as broad

they are not claiming that either, they are claiming a copyright on java, and it is up to the courts to decide what size a fragment is large enough to no longer be fair use

you need a license to use a sample of a drum solo off of some copyrighted album, but will likely be ok if you sample a single snare hit. the line is deliberately fuzzy, to make the law applicable to new situations by having professionals interpret the spirit of it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fun little sample i found no real use for in that post but still enjoyed hearing the context of btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Amen_Break,_in_context.ogg

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Google lawyer just slammed the economist who said 'a java phone was inevitable success' and that android stole the thunder by not licensing by listing a long list of terrible javaphones that failed before and after android got around, and even whipped a SavaJe phone in the face of the economist to show how lovely it was apparently

and then google ripped off java for their phone. what was the goog lawyers point?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

and then google ripped off java for their phone. what was the goog lawyers point?

The point was that Oracle called an expert witness who's an economist pushing the idea that a phone running Java with the 37 APIs in there was critical to the success of Android, and that without Android a Java phone was inevitable in the market; Android just stole the spotlight given the timing.

Google pretty much proved that Java phones with or without the 37 APIs were proven to fail before and after android, including from licensed uses of Java, going against the point of the expert witness (an economist doing technological prognostics). They did so in the most theatrical way possible by whipping a lovely java phone out of his pocket and asking the expert witness "was this phone a success?" and whatnot.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 18, 2016

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also Oracle's got 51 more minutes tomorrow to finish presenting its proof and doing the cross-exam of witnesses from Google. Google is left with 125 mins. Oracle asked for a 30 mins extension on both sides, google said nope and judge agreed. Either Oracle won't have time to fully present some proof or won't have time to fully cross-examine witnesses I guess?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MononcQc posted:

The point was that Oracle called an expert witness who's an economist pushing the idea that a phone running Java with the 37 APIs in there was critical to the success of Android, and that without Android a Java phone was inevitable in the market; Android just stole the spotlight given the timing.

Google pretty much proved that Java phones with or without the 37 APIs were proven to fail before and after android, including from licensed uses of Java, going against the point of the expert witness (an economist doing technological prognostics). They did so in the most theatrical way possible by whipping a lovely java phone out of his pocket and asking the expert witness "was this phone a success?" and whatnot.

how was it not instrumental to android if Google sat and thought hmm should we copy this api or write our own and they chose to copy because it was better than doing it themselves

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

how was it not instrumental to android if Google sat and thought hmm should we copy this api or write our own and they chose to copy because it was better than doing it themselves

the expert witness is an economist and can only testify to the value of using Java APIs on market forces afaict. The argument as far as I could get it from twitter was that 'a java phone was inevitable' and that Android shipping with unlicensed APIs stole and killed the market from Sun/Oracle's grasp. Showing poo poo java phones helps disprove that point.

The other opinions like "the API is essential to the technological stack" are kind of pointless when they come with the caveat of "as an economist, I ..."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

the expert witness is an economist and can only testify to the value of using Java APIs on market forces afaict. The argument as far as I could get it from twitter was that 'a java phone was inevitable' and that Android shipping with unlicensed APIs stole and killed the market from Sun/Oracle's grasp. Showing poo poo java phones helps disprove that point.

The other opinions like "the API is essential to the technological stack" are kind of pointless when they come with the caveat of "as an economist, I ..."

afaict from twitter Jaffe more or less said "as an economist, i think that the 37 APIs make up an intrinsic part of java" which is fairly :psyduck:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the java strings album was a departure from the the simpler and more traditional sound of java.math
none of the sun members had previous experience with string composition, and artistic disagreements made tensions in the band run high, even as the lead singer was recovering from his bad lisp
in january 1995 they retreated to a small finnish cottage for two months of weed smoking and intensive work
they emerged with the characteristic sound we know today; a constant and immutable element, but still full of references and playing with multilingualism
the release propelled the java language to the top of the billboards and cemented it as a household name
even moms and business analysts knew about "the java"
love it or hate it, there can be no doubt that sun's string album has made a lasting artistic impression on later programming bands

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
authentic java can only be coded in indonesia

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
why didnt google just get real java for their lovely phone instead of making a chinese tier copy of java

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

why didnt google just get real java for their lovely phone instead of making a chinese tier copy of java

there were negotiations, a fact that was used against google in previous trials (why would they negotiate a license if they were so sure they didn't need one?). i don't recall if we were ever told precisely why they didn't end up taking a license

a reasonable guess is sun demanding that they in that case had a complete certified implementation, and since google was trying to make a blackberry clone it had to run in 64 mb of ram, making that tricky (an awful lot of bad technical decisions in android, many in dalvik, go back to it being intended to be very memory-efficient, which it never ended up being)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a Linux concerned with memory efficiency you say :allears:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
they've spent a while in this case arguing that java me was a pile of garbage and java se wouldn't work on a phone, and thus their creation of a version of java that does work on a phone is ~transformative~

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
there was a jvm on palm devices back in the mid 2000s. i mean im not trying to say it ran great or anything, but java has been on cell phones long before android.

google's success in the cell phone marketsphere is entirely because of theft from apple and oracle.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
java on palm was java me, which was a pile of garbage

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

of course android is a pile of garbage too, but it's garbage in different ways

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google is not wrong about all mobile java being crap, and likely would have remained crap without android (not least illustrated by it remaining crap *with* android)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

they've spent a while in this case arguing that java me was a pile of garbage and java se wouldn't work on a phone, and thus their creation of a version of java that does work on a phone is ~transformative~

the original design for android was blackberry which was 100% java.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

the original design for android was blackberry which was 100% poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Probably one of the weakest quote edits I've seen in my entire life.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

google is not wrong about all mobile java being crap, and likely would have remained crap without android (not least illustrated by it remaining crap *with* android)

nah, android java is poo poo because google sucks at optimizing it

remember that android java had a random number generator weakness inherited from apache harmony for a very long time

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 19, 2016

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

java on palm was java me, which was a pile of garbage

well eventually it was, yes

and the apis that were direct translations of palm's apis we're garbage, that's true too. like RecordStore

but you also got most important good apis even back then: InputStream and OutputStream, Vector and Hashtable, Class and Object, String and Thread and Exception

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Thread and Exception are my favorite classes

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

hell yeah

suppose u got a method that needs to return an object. only it cant be just any kind of object, its either a string or a number or idk a java.awt.event.HierarchyListener. u cant write that in java which is bullshit

but if all ur types are subclasses of throwable u can just put them all in ur signature, u just need to return with throw instead, bonus u dont have to remember to keep returning from a bunch of different methods

then instead of doing some superawkward if statement on the other side u just catch the types u want instead, boom right there in the variable

tldr make all ur classes subclasses of throwable just in case

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rjmccall posted:

hell yeah

suppose u got a method that needs to return an object. only it cant be just any kind of object, its either a string or a number or idk a java.awt.event.HierarchyListener. u cant write that in java which is bullshit

but if all ur types are subclasses of throwable u can just put them all in ur signature, u just need to return with throw instead, bonus u dont have to remember to keep returning from a bunch of different methods

then instead of doing some superawkward if statement on the other side u just catch the types u want instead, boom right there in the variable

its been a while since i did java. you seriously cant make functions return types reference types?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can but it wouldn't be statically typed like a method that returns void and then throws a bunch of stuff. lmao that would be amazing. its just like option types!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Java code:
public void getTouchable() throws Butt, Boner, Boob //the throwables here may or may not implement a shared api interface.
instead of

Java code:
public Touchable getTouchable() //no idea whats coming back, but it does implement Touchable interface.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

its just like option types!

?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shaggar posted:

fun story: our old CTO believed he was not only smarter than oracle but that our measly crew of off-shore developers could implement his grand visions. one of the things he did was completely overhaul oracle's JDBC in our framework. keep in mind we run on oracle and as such are paying for oracle and get it but no we can make a better one.

anyways one of our RDC classes returns null instead of throwing an exception when you attempt to read an illegal column. this is obv an ambiguous scenario because null is a valid value to return because columns can actually be null.

so I opened a ticket a week ago saying this was a bug figuring engineering would close it and tell me to go gently caress myself. they didn't. they're going to change the contract to one of our core system classes and I can't loving wait for the shitshow that comes when they push that update and every single instance breaks because every single customization by services ever uses that method and isn't handling that exception.

it's gonna be beautiful

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
in fact I'm gonna know who the real rear end in a top hat consultants are because their implementations WONT break meaning they were encapsulating everything in generic Exceptions which is even worse.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
CTO was fired btw

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

hell yeah

source your terrible programming quotes :stonklol:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Java code:
public void getTouchable() throws Butt, Boner, Boob //the throwables here may or may not implement a shared api interface.
instead of

Java code:
public Touchable getTouchable() //no idea whats coming back, but it does implement Touchable interface.

i don't need two terrible programmer threads to make me question my entire existence

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/xor/status/732630055013089280

Is there anything weird from a legal standpoint here?

Mock Trial With J. Reinhold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MononcQc posted:

eh, java phones *were* successful before the iPhone made them all irrelevant

• Locked thread