Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Were Gank squads this prevalent in past games? I'm getting really frustrated.

edit-this is stupid, i've been trying to pvp at level 30 w/ actual gear you'd have at that point and it's nonstop people with endgame stuff. Once in 20 times there's a fun purple but its usually just gank squads with dragonslayer greataxes that resummon each other after I kill them, let alone the issue of 3 estus flask at +1 vs their 15 at +10.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bugblatter posted:

Offline is the problem. When the game launched offline would have horrible framerates, then a patch fixed it... then another patch unfixed it and introduced some less bad but still bad dips in online mode too. I figured it would get remedied quickly but here we are a few weeks later... Maybe they were busy with the PC patches and a PS4 patch is next? I hope?

But then I also thought the patch that introduced frame pacing errors in Bloodborne would get resolved but instead it stayed forever and even got carried on to DS3.

That's weird. I wonder what it is about offline mode that causes the framerate to be horrible, you'd think it would be the opposite if anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Get hosed, Dragonslayer armor :clint:

Though thing certainly took a turn for the close call when the big spindly not dragon decided to shoot me with a giant fireball as I charging an R2 behind Boss after he was wide open.

What the gently caress, man? I'd figure you'd be thankful here *dodges two more giant fireballs aimed at me personally*

Still, a real pick me up after my shitshow against the Nameless King.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

mastershakeman posted:

Were Gank squads this prevalent in past games? I'm getting really frustrated.

yes, but they were smaller.

that's what some people do, although the password system makes it easier for buddies to find each other and summon in endgame twinks to carry them.

also dried finger didn't up the white phantom limit, so when they did, it'd only be host + 2 phantoms (+bluecop) instead of 4(or 5) groups it is now. Also the fact that reds and purples can hit each other can actually mean having another invader is a liability.

What I'm saying is that I doubt the objective numbers of gank squads went up all that much, but the ease people can put them together, the size of them, and the odd scaling means they're more dangerous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beat the game. not really as enthused to press on into ng+ as i was for the previous ones. idk. hope the dlc is good.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mazerunner posted:

yes, but they were smaller.

that's what some people do, although the password system makes it easier for buddies to find each other and summon in endgame twinks to carry them.

also dried finger didn't up the white phantom limit, so when they did, it'd only be host + 2 phantoms (+bluecop) instead of 4(or 5) groups it is now. Also the fact that reds and purples can hit each other can actually mean having another invader is a liability.

What I'm saying is that I doubt the objective numbers of gank squads went up all that much, but the ease people can put them together, the size of them, and the odd scaling means they're more dangerous.

Hopefully one of the DLCs puts in a spell that works like Karmic Justice did in DS1. That poo poo was loving FUN when dealing with gank squads.

edit: gently caress now I wanna go mess around with Karmic Justice again. Shame about DS1 multiplayer being shut down.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Genocyber posted:

Only Dark Souls II. Demon's, DS1, and Bloodborne all boot you to the menu.

I have a fantasy in my head that everyone at From actually loves ds2's systems, but decided to base ds3 on ds1 instead so they could base the first game in their next series on ds2. Ds2 is the best souls game simply because it allows the biggest variety in builds to be more fun to play for more of the game. Also its online better in every way, even with soul memory.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Any tips for sl1 pontiff? I'm able to parry the first attack pretty consistently but unable to get a second. Using a raw longsword +7 and flame arc

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Shame about DS1 multiplayer being shut down.

But it hasn't been shut down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm just waiting for the patch notes that say "white and yellow phantoms can no longer be summoned when a hostile phantom is present".

Yeah I know its never coming :(

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://rezuaq.tumblr.com/newarea

Lord's Burg

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Farron Farron Township

The Lord's Private Brume Chasm of the Deep

:effort:

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Thanks for the DS2 advice. Having a +4 rapier before fighting the last giant was pretty incredible. 2 stabbing all the hollow soldiers :cool:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The painting guardian chest piece isn't half bad with the dragon head. Behold, my abomination of fashion, feel free to mock me:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Profaned Passage Betwixt Yorshka :gonk:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Obligatum VII posted:

The painting guardian chest piece isn't half bad with the dragon head. Behold, my abomination of fashion, feel free to mock me:

looks like someone's ready for bedtime

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i did it

i spent two hours grinding those loving swordgrass pieces of poo poo, but i did it. i got the final ring..the most useless ring in the game, and even then, it's not even the +1 or +2 version, which makes this an even bigger insult

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

i did it

i spent two hours grinding those loving swordgrass pieces of poo poo, but i did it. i got the final ring..the most useless ring in the game, and even then, it's not even the +1 or +2 version, which makes this an even bigger insult

Where'd you grind the ghrus?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm just waiting for the patch notes that say "white and yellow phantoms can no longer be summoned when a hostile phantom is present".

Yeah I know its never coming :(

I'd settle for invading phantoms not being able to hit each other, aside from mad phantoms, obviously.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SynthOrange posted:

Best spot is the bonfire in the middle of the swamp (I don't remember the name. It's in that kind of broken up stone tower) with three Ghrus right behind it. Kill those three guys, rest at bonfire, repeat. Takes less time than grinding ears, in my experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm inspired. It's time to try and discover the absolute worst outfit possible. An atrocity of fashion, something straight out of hell.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

keep ruins, the one on that bridge after the tower fire that you put out

turns out, the two ghrus that hold spears (gently caress THOSE FUCKERS FOREVER) do drop swordgrasses, but it felt like it was at a much, much lower rate than the poison shitter

the best part was when the spear ghru on the right (coming from the bonfire) would just fall of the bridge and cling to the side of it with an item on its corpse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hamsterlady posted:

Best spot is the bonfire in the middle of the swamp (I don't remember the name. It's in that kind of broken up stone tower) with three Ghrus right behind it. Kill those three guys, rest at bonfire, repeat. Takes less time than grinding ears, in my experience.

Hm, I was doing that, then decided to use the spot before the Abyss Watchers, since in the crystal lizard passage there's a bunch of ghrus facing away from you and I could just backstab them all easily. The swamp ruins got me killed a few times due to carelessness since they're so packed together.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Obligatum VII posted:

Hail fellow dragon bro :vd:

It sucks that on top of being useless the dragon transformation also penalizes your defense so heavily. The price you pay to look like a stupid lizard.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
a good way to farm the keep ruins is using great chaos orb/chaos vestige. Great chaos orb is good because the lava will guard-break the shield guys if they stand in the lava and will usually kill them if your pyromancy stats are high enough.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Obligatum VII posted:

This is me irl when someone rings my doorbell at 3 AM on a wednesday.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
for being a random enemy drop in an early area and even a straight sword the lothric knight sword tears crazy amounts of poo poo up

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

for being a random enemy drop in an early area and even a straight sword the lothric knight sword tears crazy amounts of poo poo up

It even has 110% crit.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Any tips for sl1 pontiff? I'm able to parry the first attack pretty consistently but unable to get a second. Using a raw longsword +7 and flame arc

You can usually run away and bait out the jump attack again, if you've got the parry timing down for it. Once his clone shows up, you can do the same thing, you just have to roll under the clone when it jumps and then immediately parry to hit Pontiff's followup jump. (caveat, I've seen this done but never actually attempted it)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Million Ghosts posted:

Straight swords are the best weapon class in DS3 :ssh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh my god what the gently caress, the elevator I rode down to the Archives bonfire (then back up) just gives me "Contraption will not move" :argh:

Well, at least I found Greirat's ashes before I homeward boned.

Edit: Oh, I unlocked a DIFFERENT Elevator :downs: Coulda sworn I unlocked that already. They are starting to blur together tonight, really.

BillmasterCozb posted:

turns out, the two ghrus that hold spears (gently caress THOSE FUCKERS FOREVER) do drop swordgrasses, but it felt like it was at a much, much lower rate than the poison shitter

Spear Ghrus turn into easy mode if you bring a normal shield. Because a lot of their attacks will bounce right off. A bit late now though, if you already got the 30 wolfgrass :shepface:

So for those of you looking to farm those guys next. You're already farming something, so at least bring the tools for the job instead of making life worse for you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 20, 2016

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

You can usually run away and bait out the jump attack again, if you've got the parry timing down for it. Once his clone shows up, you can do the same thing, you just have to roll under the clone when it jumps and then immediately parry to hit Pontiff's followup jump. (caveat, I've seen this done but never actually attempted it)

I found that if I ran away he just stayed back and basically did nothing but inch closer to me. Eventually I ran out of space and had to try to get around him, which draws aggro. His attacks chain so long that I just run out of stamina.

I'm on dancer too, but only doing slightly better there. Using dark resin but I get one-shot by the grab and a couple other attacks. Some of her attacks are really quick and others are just incredibly slow. Pretty much stuck.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Internet Kraken posted:

Straight swords are the best weapon class in DS3 :ssh:

no i know, even among straig swords it stands out

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yoel's voice actor is awesome. I love how slimy he sounds when you first meet him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chard posted:

Yoel's voice actor is awesome. I love how slimy he sounds when you first meet him.

You mean sincere.

Also

http://www.lordranandbeyond.com/in-her-service-premiere-cover/

good poo poo

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

eygon would wreck that dork

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://giant.gfycat.com/BothWeepyFugu.webm

STOP THAT :catstare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This is a lot better than that ridiculous comic from a week ago.

Leonhardt is a huge goon though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

You know, there's something strangely fun about offhanding a caestus and then just socking people in the jaw when they keep expecting a parry that never comes. An offhanded straight sword achieves the same sort of effect with more attack power and reach, but the caestus has the constant nagging threat of a parry (which I am awful at) and is itself stupidly hard to parry. I actually won a PvP match because the invader kept trying to rush past my spear poke only to be slapped in the face repeatedly. They tried unsuccessfully to parry it, but the timing is really weird as has been pointed out in this thread before, so it didn't avail them. Plus, punching them is way funnier than an offhanded sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a lot better than that ridiculous comic from a week ago.

Leonhardt is a huge goon though.

that site is p cool