Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just popping in to say the plexkodiconnect works well. Good enough that I've uninstalled emby. Since I already share my Plex library with my parents, ditching emby and using Plex exclusively is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I'll have to check that out. I'm happy enough with the Kodi integration and Emby's slick backend but the android app is pretty bad compared to Plex.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I wish the PMS admin interface was more like Emby. The metadata manager is really nice and its just all around more flexible. It's been a weakness of Plex for awhile now, hope they make some improvements there.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

speedtek posted:

Has anyone else's Kodi stopped noticing .mkv files since updating to Jarvis? If I manually browse to "Files" under "Video" I can browse to and watch the videos, but when I try to browse to them through the "TV" option the directories are blank.

I can't even see some of my mkv files when manually browsing to "Files". Some of the bigger mkv files just aren't there and and it's really annoying. And on top of that I'm sporadically having trouble accessing the SMB shares in Windows 10 using both Kodi and SPMC on a Amazon FireStick. I keep getting "invalid argument" errors.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

CubanMissile posted:

I can't even see some of my mkv files when manually browsing to "Files". Some of the bigger mkv files just aren't there and and it's really annoying. And on top of that I'm sporadically having trouble accessing the SMB shares in Windows 10 using both Kodi and SPMC on a Amazon FireStick. I keep getting "invalid argument" errors.

Sounds more like a problem with your file server than Kodi.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but is there anything out there that:

-runs Kodi or something similar
-is portable and battery powered
-has a good 4"+ screen
-has an internal 2.5" bay for a big HDD

I would use my iPad but the deal breaker is storage and I'd rather not hook up some OTG setup.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but is there anything out there that:

-runs Kodi or something similar
-is portable and battery powered
-has a good 4"+ screen
-has an internal 2.5" bay for a big HDD

I would use my iPad but the deal breaker is storage and I'd rather not hook up some OTG setup.

Last I knew those are called Laptops.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Or any tablet that has an SD slot.

edit: though I suppose by big hard drive you mean a terabyte or more.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have an older Nexus 7 tablet that I can connect a USB OTG cable to and play mkv files from a thumb drive.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

G-Prime posted:

Last I knew those are called Laptops.

I forgot to add that I don't want a laptop. Something like a iPad mini with a 2.5" HDD and a HDMI out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Samsung now sells a "Micro SD EVO+ 256GB" micro SD card. It has 95MB/s read/write (on par with a 2010 era first gen SSD). Ok the 256GB isn't avalible yet but the 128GB with 80mb/s read/write is for $50...

Plug that in to a $200 Honor 5x and you're good to go. My buddy has had one for about four months and I can vouch it's a quality device. Or any tablet, really. They still sell the 4" Honor 4x if you really want the 4" form factor. Or you could buy the Amazon Fire for $49, root it, and use that, it has a Micro SD card, as do about half the tablets on the market.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Will something like the Honor 5x have enough decode power to playback 1080p hi10 or 1080p BDrip?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Will something like the Honor 5x have enough decode power to playback 1080p hi10 or 1080p BDrip?
Bdrip sure, that's all done in hardware. Hi10p lol no. There will eventually be general hardware support for hevc at 10bit, but only because that's a standard used by more than just anime release groups. And even then you're probably looking at another year or two before hevc hardware decoding gets really common.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your eye can't even see the individual pixels in a static image at that density, ultra high fidelity video compression is total overkill for this application.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I currently have a Kodi rPi2 for general media consumption and an old HP microserver for the wife's film screeners that are streamed across what seems is a different platform depending on who is distributing the film.

The microserver just updated to w10 and completely poo poo the bed so i was thinking of just getting a Celeron NUC and just using that for Kodi and the streaming, freeing up a wired port on the router.

Are the n3000 celerons gonna be enough to handle that, it'll pretty much just be Kodi, chrome and media player classic installed on the machine.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use an older i3 nuc as a Plex server, emby server (until plexkodiconnect came out) and it doesn't break a sweat. If new celerons are close to older i3's, it should be rock solid.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
I've been running Kodi on an N2820 NUC for almost 2 years now, works totally fine for that aspect. Does drop frames if the bitrate gets too high with x265 (720p is iffy), has no problems at all with x264. It's pretty slow for any sort of desktop use, and I get pretty inconsistent results when I try to stream videos through various sites with Chrome. Youtube is generally OK, but some of the local TV station streams are completely unwatchable at about 1FPS. It seems that anything that can be hardware decoded is OK, but it really starts to choke on anything outside of that.

My real problem has been just how incredibly flaky W10 and Kodi have been on this thing. I was running OpenELEC for a while, but tried W10 so I could get a bit more desktop use, but I swear it crashes or hard locks at least once a day, usually something Intel driver related. Got better once I stopped using the terrible Intel 802.11AC card and went back to wired, but I'm going to give the new LibreElec a try and see if its any more stable.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I also have a NUC N2820 running Windows 10 and Kodi and other than a Kodi bug scaling wrong that was fixed the first patch I've had no problems at all. I put an SSD in mine so it actually feels pretty fast. I've never noticed any slowdowns from any streams either. My kids use Netflix all the time and my wife uses TV station sites to watch whatever garbage shows she watches :v:
My kids also use it to play the Windows 10 store version of Minecraft with an xbox controller. Kodi has one of the heavier skins and it runs smooth as butter.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I think the NUC was a great buy.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Has anybody had a problem with Kodi trying to play files way too "sharp"?

Here's a movie in Kodi:

And the exact same file in VLC:

This just started happening today and affects all video files. I've restarted my PC, restarted Kodi, tried restoring all video settings to default, and even tried a fresh Kodi install, but the problem persists. I updated to the latest AMD drivers a few days ago, which is the only possible culprit I can think of. Any ideas?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Pause and go into the video playback settings. There's a bunch of postprocessing options in there. You can set them per video, or apply them globally.

Edit: http://kodi.wiki/view/video_playback#OSD_video_settings

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
All of those settings are set to their default values, and I hadn't messed with them or set a new default for all media before or after this problem started, so I don't think that's the issue. I guess I'll try rolling back my video card drivers.

Edit: I'm a dumbass. I hosed around with this the other day and completely forgot about it until just now. I didn't realize this setting was referring to actual video playback and not the entire display. I was surprised when switching to the different settings didn't have any effect. Switching this back to default fixed everything. Thanks for the suggestions!

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2016

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Is it better to use the Sonarr generated Kodi metadata or should I just let Kodi handle it?

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

bigis posted:

Is it better to use the Sonarr generated Kodi metadata or should I just let Kodi handle it?

They're generally both scraping this metadata from the same sources, like TheTVDB for television. Having Sonarr pull the metadata does make scanning into Kodi a bit quicker, I find. Sonarr can also use Xem for arbitrating episode numbering disagreements, though I don't really understand how Xem works.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Anyone having better luck than me with AceStreams or Sopcast in Kodi? I installed Plexus but still no go.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sorry for the off topic post but I know some of you guys are Plex users and Shield owners.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/10/11900638/nvidia-shield-plex-media-server-support

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What does Kodi look at to determine if a video should get an "SD" or "HD" tag? I ripped a season of Hannibal off of Bluray and all but three of the episodes (random ones off of two different discs) come up without the "HD" tag that all the other episodes have. No "SD" tag, either, just a blank. The videos have a resolution of 1920xwhatever (and I see anything 720p or over gets an "HD" tag). They play fine and it doesn't affect anything, but it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Uthor posted:

What does Kodi look at to determine if a video should get an "SD" or "HD" tag? I ripped a season of Hannibal off of Bluray and all but three of the episodes (random ones off of two different discs) come up without the "HD" tag that all the other episodes have. No "SD" tag, either, just a blank. The videos have a resolution of 1920xwhatever (and I see anything 720p or over gets an "HD" tag). They play fine and it doesn't affect anything, but it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

I think it just gets that from probing with ffmpeg so those encodes must've tripped it up for some reason. Maybe try rescanning or compare your files with mediainfo if that doesn't help.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've got Emby running on a server and I'm using Emby for Kodi on a Shield TV for viewing. Is there any way to make the audio default to 5.1 instead of stereo? I've looked all over in the options in Kodi and can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

blk96gt posted:

I've got Emby running on a server and I'm using Emby for Kodi on a Shield TV for viewing. Is there any way to make the audio default to 5.1 instead of stereo? I've looked all over in the options in Kodi and can't seem to figure out how to do this.

You mean the "Number of channels" option under Settings -> System -> Audio output? Might have to set setting display level to expert if isn't showing.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure I selected that option, but I'll check. What I'm having to do is every time I start a movie that has both stereo and 5.1 tracks, I have to go to the audio options for the movie and select 5.1 instead of stereo. If for whatever reason I stop the movie and resume later, I have to go and reselect 5.1. I just want it to use the 5.1 track by default.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

blk96gt posted:

I'm pretty sure I selected that option, but I'll check. What I'm having to do is every time I start a movie that has both stereo and 5.1 tracks, I have to go to the audio options for the movie and select 5.1 instead of stereo. If for whatever reason I stop the movie and resume later, I have to go and reselect 5.1. I just want it to use the 5.1 track by default.

Bottom of that audio options menu should have an option to set your changes as default for all movies.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
That option isn't there for me. This is all I've got.

I mean yeah I can select it, but come on, it should default to whatever the best available option is.

I've also got 5.1 set for number of channels.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

It's possible that, for some reason, Kodi on the Shield doesn't have that option, but I'd try changing your skin and seeing if the option shows up.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Don't do it while playing a video. Do it from the main menu. Settings, System, Output. Or System, Audio.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I did it from the main menu. Still wants to default to stereo. It only seems to be the stuff that I've ripped/converted with handbrake and kept two audio tracks. The first one is the stereo and the second is the 5.1. It doesn't do it on my Simpsons episodes that I ripped with makeMKV.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

blk96gt posted:

Yeah I did it from the main menu. Still wants to default to stereo. It only seems to be the stuff that I've ripped/converted with handbrake and kept two audio tracks. The first one is the stereo and the second is the 5.1. It doesn't do it on my Simpsons episodes that I ripped with makeMKV.

Multi track files will have one track set as default. The stereo tracks likely got set as default when you encoded the files with handbrake.

Ray Finkle
Aug 28, 2008

Keito posted:

Multi track files will have one track set as default. The stereo tracks likely got set as default when you encoded the files with handbrake.

To take this one step further, you can change which track is designated as default in an MKV file, among other things, with a program called MKVToolNix. I've done it and it's pretty easy.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Go back to default skin and the option will show up even when your watching a video. Then select as default for all movies and change when you need to.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had this same problem when some files had German and English tracks but the German was default, I had to use MKVToolNix to change the default audio track in the files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I should probably just stop including two tracks when I convert. Everything I watch is going to be streamed through Emby (or possibly Plex) anyways.

What sucks is I've got a mix of MP4 and mkv files, and I assume that program won't work with MP4.