Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I thought I remembered Annie seeing Red and friend of Red in the ether back when she was down that ravine. Must have misremembered though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Blackheart posted:

I thought I remembered Annie seeing Red and friend of Red in the ether back when she was down that ravine. Must have misremembered though.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=143

She had just gotten her etherscar on her cheek two pages prior, but she was back in the real world, talking to Red and that other jabrony's actual fairy-bodies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

She only just got her Blinker stone shortly after meeting them. She didn't learn about going into the ether until later. If she had, she'd have seen that they were Hollow without any etheric presence.

Coyote's explanation: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1471

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 17, 2016

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Dr Subterfuge posted:

She doesn't really seem to have any incentive to do so.
Lying about it had the possibility of something interesting happening when the big galoot decides to start randomly tugging on strings?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

She only just got her Blinker stone shortly after meeting them. She didn't learn about going into the ether until later. If she had, she'd have seen that they were Hollow without any etheric presence.

Coyote's explanation: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1471

So is it decided which fairies will go to the court before they're born?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It is at least the case that some fairies are created specifically to go to the Court, by their request.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Certainly it seems that, unlike animals, fairies don't just decide to go to the court. It's predetermined for some unknown reason (apparently at the Court's request!) and by some unknown method. Snuffle for instance wouldn't have the option to go join her friend, even if she wanted to as she's a True Fairy, not a hollow one.

It does raise the question of what would happen if a hollow fairy didn't want to become human, but Coyote at least seems to think this is highly unlikely as an existence without a spirit isn't a pleasant one.

Something interesting about all this is that we know that prior to Annie's arrival at the school communication between the court and the forest had completely broken down. Relations have only just been restored (to some extent) by the work of the two Mediums.

And yet despite this the transfers continued unabated. Even with the two sides being practically hostile to each other fairies were still becoming human and humans were still becoming animals. Somehow this whole process is so fundamental to both the Court and forest that nothing seems to put a stop to it.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 17, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Regy Rusty posted:

Certainly it seems that, unlike animals, fairies don't just decide to go to the court. It's predetermined for some unknown reason (apparently at the Court's request!) and by some unknown method. Snuffle for instance wouldn't have the option to go join her friend, even if she wanted to as she's a True Fairy, not a hollow one.

It does raise the question of what would happen if a hollow fairy didn't want to become human, but Coyote at least seems to think this is highly unlikely as an existence without a spirit isn't a pleasant one.

Something interesting about all this is that we know that prior to Annie's arrival at the school communication between the court and the forest had completely broken down. Relations have only just been restored (to some extent) by the work of the two Mediums.

And yet despite this the transfers continued unabated. Even with the two sides being practically hostile to each other fairies were still becoming human and humans were still becoming animals. Somehow this whole process is so fundamental to both the Court and forest that nothing seems to put a stop to it.
I'm going to go ahead and blame bureaucratic inertia.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You gotta get those drat dissident and forest sympathizers/human lovers out, so they can't pollute good noble minds with their ideas.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

At this point of Regy Rusty said I had forgotten an entire chapter where Elgamore and Tony fell out over the flamenco dancing competition 50 chapters ago I'd take it as gospel.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Itzena posted:

Lying about it had the possibility of something interesting happening when the big galoot decides to start randomly tugging on strings?

Except she immediately said "Hey let's do this other more interesting thing instead!" Maybe, maybe it's some super important thing that she is intending to distract Annie from, but I really doubt it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

At this point of Regy Rusty said I had forgotten an entire chapter where Elgamore and Tony fell out over the flamenco dancing competition 50 chapters ago I'd take it as gospel.

Eglamore always envied Tony's sick moves.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"You think you get that fire from Surma?"

*Tony whirls off his suit jacket*

"Let me show you the performance that won me the 1973 Pan Pacific championships... and your mother's heart"

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So, what's the difference between a True Fairy and a Fairy and where is this outlined in the comic?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

So, what's the difference between a True Fairy and a Fairy and where is this outlined in the comic?

It's outlined in the page I linked earlier: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1471

Or well that's where hollow fairies are explained. Only just now are we starting to learn more about true fairies, having seen one in the ether for the first time just this past week.

The reason this is all fresh in my mind is I just went back and reread all the chapters involving Snuffle and her friend last week. They all take on new context with what we've learned more recently.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if a hollow fairy can go 'no thanks' and get their soul put back in.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm not sure if the threads mean anything. I mean, Annie was distracted so for all we know Coyote could have just just tied a bunch of magic strings around him as a joke. Boy will that be fun when he tries to leave the forest and his soul is still tied up there.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Is it just me, or are the tips of Annie's hair heating up over the last few pages?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annie, rude!

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
What is happening

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Is it just me, or are the tips of Annie's hair heating up over the last few pages?

It's practically glowing in today's page.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mischalaniouse posted:

What is happening

<snuffle> is telling his old friend how it's been going since he moved to the Court.

Obviously.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mischalaniouse posted:

What is happening

he's explaining how he got this awesome, fat, smelly, horrible body, and then they put sweet new horrible itchy constraining clothes on it, and how he's got these absurd, stupid, amazing long paws that do all sorts of cool things, but mostly that cool things is clack on a dumb light box of nonsense

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Looks like it's Andrew who's pulling the strings.

Next time, on Krigg La Krigg: Set The Ether Afire!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mazerunner posted:

he's explaining how he got this awesome, fat, smelly, horrible body, and then they put sweet new horrible itchy constraining clothes on it, and how he's got these absurd, stupid, amazing long paws that do all sorts of cool things, but mostly that cool things is clack on a dumb light box of nonsense
I can relate to this comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The next extra story leaked recently, it's about Reynardine's past:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You really captured the essence of Ysengrin

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
On that note, can someone repost the comic edit that made Surma into Sonic and Rey into Tails?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

This is wonderful. Thank you.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Blackheart posted:

:five:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Don't mind me, just doing a databarf.

E: Y'know, nah, this joke was dumb even if it is relevant.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Geez, rabbit you need to do a def-

Tom posted:

Defrag

:argh:

Arianya fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 20, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I assumed the rabbit was eating the data rather than barfing it up

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 20, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Welp. The court is either using the fairies as super computers or they are the equivalent of monkeys on a typewriter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Welp. The court is either using the fairies as super computers or they are the equivalent of monkeys on a typewriter.

Remember Snuffle seeing the Rubik's Cube and instantly visualising a solution and how many moves it would take? Fairies are crazy smart in some ways, and it seems like animal converts might be similar.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Uh, isn't Snuffle the name of the fairy, not the rabbit?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I miss the old Windows defrag animation

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

The one place where the court and forest intersect and overlap is boundless creativity, so when you put a forest creature behind a court machine...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We put a thousand fairies in this room with a thousand computers to solve the greatest mysteries known to the court. Let's see what this one wrote!

quote:

I am the seed Misbuth

You stupid fairy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Not good with numbers, but good with patterns"

So if you then teach them to be good with numbers, who knows what could be possible?