Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I've probably said it a billion times in this thread alone, but I seriously want a game with Tanimura, Date and Sayama being cops and arresting people. Sayama can fight like Akiyama, and Date can just be the lead detective and not fight at all. I'd play the gently caress out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
One crummy rape joke aside, Akiyama is so far proving to be the coolest dude. Some idiot tried to fight me because he wanted to impress a hostess with tales of his fighting prowess, then I slammed his head into a wall and stomped his teeth down his throat. Am I right to assume from his upgrade list that I should basically always be drunk and also taunting people?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RandallODim posted:

One crummy rape joke aside, Akiyama is so far proving to be the coolest dude. Some idiot tried to fight me because he wanted to impress a hostess with tales of his fighting prowess, then I slammed his head into a wall and stomped his teeth down his throat. Am I right to assume from his upgrade list that I should basically always be drunk and also taunting people?

Nah, you want to find the rooftop trainer and get skilled enough so that his Square kick combo goes on for like 5 minutes straight, then just stunkick your opponents to death. THEN get drunk and taunt them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

SpacePig posted:

I've probably said it a billion times in this thread alone, but I seriously want a game with Tanimura, Date and Sayama being cops and arresting people. Sayama can fight like Akiyama, and Date can just be the lead detective and not fight at all. I'd play the gently caress out of that.

I can see Date having a style similar to Saejima, without being hideously strong, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't forget the girl detective from 2. Give her all the guns with rubber bullets. Give her a skill branch where every level lets her pull a new gun out of her bag.

Saejima has the worst luck with gimmick chapters. I just beat up a bear, is there much more of this?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
People get into fistfights with grizzly bears that are three times the size of normal humans and go "pfft, is this over yet" and I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU PEOPLE AND I NEVER WILL.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Caitlin posted:

People get into fistfights with grizzly bears that are three times the size of normal humans and go "pfft, is this over yet" and I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU PEOPLE AND I NEVER WILL.

I guess it's just too much to bear for some people.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Everything leading up to fist fighting a bear was a slog. Everything between fist fighting a bear and fist fighting another bear was a slog. Like, Kiryu's chapter had a game about driving responsibly, and somehow that was more entertaining than any of Saejima's side stuff.

I honestly haven't finished 5 yet because I couldn't do another goddamn dance routine, and Akiyama doesn't get his own chapter. Knowing that I have to get through another character and the part where all the stories come together isn't exactly exciting me. I should probably get around to it soon, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Everything leading up to fist fighting a bear was a slog.
Especially the forced nightlife tutorial. And "walk around the yard talking to prisoners" minigame. And the snowmobile.
Everything apart from picking a guy up and using him as a flail, basically, and even that went on too long.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
and now we're back to people poo poo talking Haruka, GTFO

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I will say that I felt like 4 did a much better job of bringing the heroes together and making them all feel like important cogs in the puzzle that was the game's plot. For whatever reason 5 just felt like the characters were just there because they were the heroes and they had to stop the bad guys. Didn't have that same satisfying buildup.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I liked the idea of the Haruka part, but there just wasn't enough there to sustain it for a long as it went.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

mikeycp posted:

I liked the idea of the Haruka part, but there just wasn't enough there to sustain it for a long as it went.

Yeah, it's this exactly. It starts off fun enough, but then there's 3 idol songs, and, what, 4 challenge songs? It wears thin by the time Akiyama shows up, and then there's still more of it to do.

That said, I think the Manzai section might be my favorite thing, despite how frustrating it was.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The way to fix that, I think, is to have you tagging between Akiyama and Haruka the whole time instead of starting with three hours of Haruka unbroken. You'd have to find some meaningless stuff for Aki to do for Haruka's first act but that shouldn't be hard with the new office and stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, it's this exactly. It starts off fun enough, but then there's 3 idol songs, and, what, 4 challenge songs? It wears thin by the time Akiyama shows up, and then there's still more of it to do.

That said, I think the Manzai section might be my favorite thing, despite how frustrating it was.

The manzai thing was great. I was into it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SelenicMartian posted:

Especially the forced nightlife tutorial. And "walk around the yard talking to prisoners" minigame. And the snowmobile.
Everything apart from picking a guy up and using him as a flail, basically, and even that went on too long.
I want to hear your reaction once you get to the real meat (venison) of his chapter. :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sindai posted:

I want to hear your reaction once you get to the real meat (venison) of his chapter. :allears:
Cabela's Japanese Adventures.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sindai posted:

The hunting game and taxi-driving game both ruled.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

How the hell do I get martens? I've even found rabbits in cages and foxes in snares. Martens don't fall for anything.

Also, the hunting needs the jukebox from the driving game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you never find martens in the third trap type you are just being rng-hosed. There isn't a special trick to it and if in my experience they weren't any more rare than rabbits or foxes.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I've basically started playing this as Functional Alcoholic Brawler Simulator and it's working out pretty well for me. The random encounter dialogue changing when you're drunk is great; all these yakuza and gangsters are just so offended that I'm walking around smelling like a distillery. And the rooftop trainer guy's basic combo extensions are fantastic for just locking down anyone and instantly maxing HEAT.

I'm going to be sad when I finish Akiyama's chapters, because if drinking till the bartenders cut me off every time I pass a bar and buying 8 beers every time I visit a corner mart can no longer be a strategic move what's even the point anymore?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Drunk Yakuza is great.

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you never find martens in the third trap type you are just being rng-hosed.
I'm being massively hosed: the martens are supposed to come in cages and I've got two rabbits out of them. Saejima is a magician.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SelenicMartian posted:

Drunk Yakuza is great.

I just learned being drunk boosts your HEAT accumulation and also your random encounter rate, so I guess I actually am going to just continue my strategy of constantly intoxication even without Akiyama's damage boost. This is a good day.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

RandallODim posted:

I just learned being drunk boosts your HEAT accumulation
A few bottles of in-game booze was the only way I could beat the finale of Yakuza 2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Total number of martens caught in the course of the 12 main hunting missions: 1 (shot).
Naturally, the moment I don't have any other reasons to go up the mountain they start falling into traps in droves including one that got into a rabbit snare.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
that amon fight's pretty bad. I probably should have made sure everyone was full on health and packed to the gills with healing items

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
IMO the hardest single fight in 5 is Akiyama's Limited Berserk. At least in the Amon fight Shinada can spam unbreakable weapons and Kiryu can Tiger Drop the fucker. Akiyama has to fight like forty guys at low health which is the absolute worst situation for a glass cannon.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just realized without Akiyama then Yakuza 0 probably won't have insane drill instructors trailing you with suicide runs

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Man they really phoned in when they made haruka's jobs didn't they? What's with the running girl show?

I cannot believe I am actually doing all her jobs instead of just rushing through this one-song gimmick chapter. Come to think about it, Yakuza 5 is the King of Gimmicks compares to other games in the series.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
My favorite thing about Haruka's chapter is that I'm now prepared to play Persona 4: Dancing All Night on a difficulty above easy! I won't, but I could

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Explosive Tampons posted:

Man they really phoned in when they made haruka's jobs didn't they? What's with the running girl show?

I cannot believe I am actually doing all her jobs instead of just rushing through this one-song gimmick chapter. Come to think about it, Yakuza 5 is the King of Gimmicks compares to other games in the series.

That's what makes it a lot of fun, assuming you aren't an insane person trying to 100% it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Japanese variety shows are weird, it makes sense more in japan

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Woke up to this terrible thing on a terrible blog

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/25/yakuza-director-says-20-players-female-theyll-still-keep-manly-series/

why would you use that for your header good god

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Gotta get those child slapping clicks.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I think we've been deceived, the real yakuza look nothing like Kiryu or Saejima :mad:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Yakuza mooks you beat up look a lot like those guys though

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, they really nailed the mooks.

Also I want to like the hunting and stuff with Saejima but I dread any time I have to fight with him. Every single Lieutenant/tough enemy is this annoying nimble character that dodges and interrupts any move that makes Saejima fun (You know, throwing people at people and using big slow heavy things as weapons). So I'm stuck loving scratch damaging them with 2-3 punches then stopping otherwise I get countered and floored.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The answer to all Saejima's problems is to stay in heat mode so nothing can interrupt or stagger you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Saejima's fighting style but once you realize that he's basically a invincible wrecking ball when in heat mode then he becomes a cinch to use.

• Locked thread