Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

But a whole fuckton of PTSD. Poor Kane.

And what are they going to do with Jaha? What happens to Moses when the burning bush just...disappears?

Yep, now we're back to four three living Chancellors, all who have various degrees of legal claim to the title, as well as no living legal Grounder leader. poo poo's hosed, yo, at least in a political sense.

Hopefully they'll just put Kane in charge.

It was awfully nice of ALIE to tell us next season's plot before she went dark. So next year, it's a 100 Roadtrip all over the world, righting wrongs, saving nuke plants, meeting new people, survivors, and tribes! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So is Clarke going to be Commander now? It seemed like foreshadowing that Becca called her that and it seems the main test for being the commander is being able to recite the names of the former commanders, which Clarke seems to know now since she knew Becca's full name the moment she saw her. Or did she lose that knowledge the moment they removed the flame again? It just seemed like Becca and Lexa's comments hinted at the flame being a permanent upgrade of sorts so I wonder what the lingering effects are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's still a copy of ALIE on the ark remnant so her threat isn't totally gone yet.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Rhyno posted:

There's still a copy of ALIE on the ark remnant so her threat isn't totally gone yet.

I don't know I think if that copy was networked with the copy on earth at all it would be destroyed by the kill switch. Even if it wasn't, she has no real way to interact with the ground so she's all but toothless.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I loving loved the fakeout with Pike. He walks up to her and gives her a stern nod, all like "We good?" :v: And she's just "gently caress no" and gives him a sword through the sternum. :black101:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

That was...pretty disappointing. The core dilemma was basically a repeat of Mt. Weather, except not as dramatic or well-written. "Pull this lever to save your people, but wait, there are consequences!!" The nuke thing seems really contrived, too; how is there even an extinction-worthy amount left after ALIE lit the Earth up like a birthday cake the first time around? I dunno, I'm not feeling it. There were some fun parts but it was otherwise quite anticlimactic for a finale, IMO.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RumbleFish posted:

That was...pretty disappointing. The core dilemma was basically a repeat of Mt. Weather, except not as dramatic or well-written. "Pull this lever to save your people, but wait, there are consequences!!" The nuke thing seems really contrived, too; how is there even an extinction-worthy amount left after ALIE lit the Earth up like a birthday cake the first time around? I dunno, I'm not feeling it. There were some fun parts but it was otherwise quite anticlimactic for a finale, IMO.

:agreed:

And it wasn't even really saving humanity. You can either live forever(or until the power runs out) in the city of light while your physical body dies from radiation poisoning or be free for a few months then die from radiation poisoning.

for the radiation thing: it was just old nuclear power plants / radioactive stockpiles that were leaking after centuries without maintenance

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Clarke: wait Lexa I love you

Lexa:...anyways

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:agreed:

And it wasn't even really saving humanity. You can either live forever(or until the power runs out) in the city of light while your physical body dies from radiation poisoning or be free for a few months then die from radiation poisoning.

for the radiation thing: it was just old nuclear power plants / radioactive stockpiles that were leaking after centuries without maintenance

It's not even centuries, though, right? Honestly, the whole "97 years later" thing is by far the dumbest part of the show and yet the most avoidable. I have no idea why they didn't just place the setting at least 200-plus years after the initial event.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Even though she didn't kill anyone on screen, I'm betting that the people still climbing the tower then Clarke flipped the switch freaked out and fell to their deaths.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Clarke condemning 95% of the remaining human population to slow radioactive death. Talk about classing up your genocidal tendencies.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Good finale, not as good as season 2, needed more death by Clarke.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

When they mentioned Mt Weather, I really hoped they were going the painful bone marrow transplant way. It's not like Ontari would have minded really.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
They dropped the ball by not closing with the Radioactive song.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hand-pumping Ontari's heart was way more gross than anything I ever thought they could let on network television.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I'm curious as to why everyone seems to be assuming ALIE is even telling the truth at the end. It's not like they've been on the ground for very long. Wouldn't they have noticed the world's remaining reactors, stockpiles, etc were going to poo poo and leaking if it was happening? It's not as if modern reactor designs DO that anyways. Even if the reaction goes out of control it just ends up shutting down the reactor in the very process of trying to go critical. Given everything else ALIE was learning from Jaha and the others, why wouldn't she have learned how to lie? Especially to stall and buy time to finish the upgrade that would let her escape the kill switch.

Plus "second nuclear armageddon" seems pretty well beyond the scope of what the Arkadians and Grounders can realistically solve. So the whole "6 months until everyone is dead" thing would set a really firm date on the end of the series because how the hell would they even have a hope of fixing something on the scale ALIE suggests?

A good poster posted:

Hand-pumping Ontari's heart was way more gross than anything I ever thought they could let on network television.

Yeah, that took me by surprise. They weren't shy about showing any part of it.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Zebulon posted:

They might have thought it looked less realistic because of the black blood.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think this finale was pretty nifty, but it would have packed more punch for me if Jasper did shoot himself when he left to get drinks. It just seemed like where he was headed. He took the chip so late in the game, knowing the truth about ALIE already, all that poo poo Raven went through to get out and the AI put her through to keep her chipped and of use, to me he should have been so far gone there was no turning back. Just end his pain no matter what.

But maybe that's just me. Besides, the only person of note who died besides dat double Erica Cerra was Pike, and I think most of us saw that coming.

I'm on the fence about whether or not ALIE was bluffing, but if it means they're going to road trip to reactors or some poo poo I am way on board.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zebulon posted:

I'm curious as to why everyone seems to be assuming ALIE is even telling the truth at the end. It's not like they've been on the ground for very long. Wouldn't they have noticed the world's remaining reactors, stockpiles, etc were going to poo poo and leaking if it was happening? It's not as if modern reactor designs DO that anyways. Even if the reaction goes out of control it just ends up shutting down the reactor in the very process of trying to go critical. Given everything else ALIE was learning from Jaha and the others, why wouldn't she have learned how to lie? Especially to stall and buy time to finish the upgrade that would let her escape the kill switch.

Plus "second nuclear armageddon" seems pretty well beyond the scope of what the Arkadians and Grounders can realistically solve. So the whole "6 months until everyone is dead" thing would set a really firm date on the end of the series because how the hell would they even have a hope of fixing something on the scale ALIE suggests?

But it does though? For radioactive fuel is going to keep reacting/burning for loving ever. The power plants being shut down or disabled in some way means that eventually the cooling mechanism keeping the rods from overheating is gonna stop at some point and then things go bad.

No what bothered me the most was the heart pumping thing. I mean your heart beats something like 50-80 times a second. There's no way you're going to keep that up. I guess you could say they were going for volume by thing to pump more blood through but then that's also kind of limited by her own breathing since she still needs to oxygenate the blood before sending it over clarks way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boris Galerkin posted:

No what bothered me the most was the heart pumping thing. I mean your heart beats something like 50-80 times a second. There's no way you're going to keep that up. I guess you could say they were going for volume by thing to pump more blood through but then that's also kind of limited by her own breathing since she still needs to oxygenate the blood before sending it over clarks way.

Nanomachines, son.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah. I mean, I don't know much about nuclear reactors, so is "spontaneously melting down in unison" something that could happen 100 years after they were no longer in use? And if ALIE knew so much about all of them and was presumably connected to them the way she was connected to All The Nukes, couldn't she just, I dunno, do something about that?

And what are Clarke 'n' the Gang gonna do about it? I doubt they have any nuclear engineers among their ranks. All this and more in The 100 Season Four!

raditts fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 20, 2016

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There was a disturbing lack of death in this finale

Although the show didn't mention it, I'm pretty sure Clarke killed everyone in the City of Light that didn't have bodies to go back to.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

raditts posted:

Yeah. I mean, I don't know much about nuclear reactors, so is "spontaneously melting down in unison" something that could happen 100 years after they were no longer in use? And if ALIE knew so much about all of them and was presumably connected to them the way she was connected to All The Nukes, couldn't she just, I dunno, do something about that?

And what are Clarke 'n' the Gang gonna do about it? I doubt they have any nuclear engineers among their ranks. All this and more in The 100 Season Four!

Raven has been able to solve every electrical, mechanical, or programming problem so far so why not a nuclear reactor?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The more I look into it, the more convinced I am that the original ending for Jasper was suicide. Just look at this interview with Chris Larkin for the finale: http://www.enstarz.com/articles/155...s-for-monty.htm

Christopher Larkin posted:

“I was shocked,” Larkin said of the first time he read episode 16. “I was tipped off to certain things that would happen in the finale before reading it, so I was a little prepped, [but] they were devastating. They were devastating, and not just for my character, just all around.”

In fact, the upcoming hour was enough to make the star queasy. If learning of Mama Green’s death didn’t turn his stomach, we’re terrified of what will.

“I remember I was about to go to dinner and I got a couple of phone calls and felt sick to my stomach and couldn’t eat dinner,” Larkin recounted. “So that’s what’s coming up. That’s the most elusive way I can answer that question.”

Was there really anything particularly stomach-churning in the finale that we saw? Not to my recollection. I guess you could get a little queasy at the 'manually pumping heart' thing, but not a written description of it. No, pretty clearly there was something there that didn't make it to screen.

Combine that with this deleted Devon Bostick tweet:

A "deathly similarity" between the S3 finale and the pilot. Who died in the pilot? Well, besides those two nameless nobodies on the dropship... it was pretty much just Jasper. Dude straight-up died in the original script. The spear killed him instantly. Then, the producers and showrunner decided that it didn't, and here we are. So to me, that's a pretty unambiguous statement that Jasper died in the script to the S3 finale, until somebody on the chain of command decided that he didn't. And the only situation to me that screamed Jasper dying was that really weird final sequence with him. The cinematography, the lighting, everything about that scene screamed that something hosed up was about to happen, and then it just... didn't.

I mean, I'm glad it didn't. Honestly, that would've been too much, and it would've undercut the rest of the finale. This is probably one of those rare cases where network notes are the savior of the day, because I can easily see someone at the CW looking at all the backlash over Lexa and Lincoln, watching the original finale, and then walking up to Jason Rothenberg, swatting him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and saying "No! Bad showrunner! Bad! You go back and you edit that poo poo out right now, mister!"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
should of chosen the Helios ending

e: On that note, there was way too much deus ex machina in the latter part of this season; always stuff like new logic coming out of the left field that we're just supposed to nod and say "whoa" to. It was next to impossible to understand the stakes and the choices, because they kept introducing new mechanics, threats and whatnot, and the tension and intelligence of the writing kinda suffered for it.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 20, 2016

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Has anyone--aside from Jasper monotonously listing off names--quantified Clarke's death count at this point? Kinda wanna to register ClarkeDeathCount.com and put a ticker on there.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
HELL YES, THORACOTOMY TO THE RESCUE

Pretty good finale. I did think Jasper was going to go off and put a bullet in his head and think it probably would have been a better choice, but if they move him forward as a character I'm okay with it. I'm getting tired of Octavia and would be okay with her being executed, but that's obviously not going to happen. I suspect they're going to get the Flame in Luna's head now (since she can do it as a uniter and not a fighter), but I look forward to see how they deal with The New Nuclear Threat.

but really HELL YES, THORACOTOMY AND OPEN CARDIAC MASSAGE

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Spergatory posted:

The more I look into it, the more convinced I am that the original ending for Jasper was suicide. Just look at this interview with Chris Larkin for the finale: http://www.enstarz.com/articles/155...s-for-monty.htm

Was there really anything particularly stomach-churning in the finale that we saw? Not to my recollection. I guess you could get a little queasy at the 'manually pumping heart' thing, but not a written description of it. No, pretty clearly there was something there that didn't make it to screen.

Combine that with this deleted Devon Bostick tweet:

A "deathly similarity" between the S3 finale and the pilot. Who died in the pilot? Well, besides those two nameless nobodies on the dropship... it was pretty much just Jasper. Dude straight-up died in the original script. The spear killed him instantly. Then, the producers and showrunner decided that it didn't, and here we are. So to me, that's a pretty unambiguous statement that Jasper died in the script to the S3 finale, until somebody on the chain of command decided that he didn't. And the only situation to me that screamed Jasper dying was that really weird final sequence with him. The cinematography, the lighting, everything about that scene screamed that something hosed up was about to happen, and then it just... didn't.

I mean, I'm glad it didn't. Honestly, that would've been too much, and it would've undercut the rest of the finale. This is probably one of those rare cases where network notes are the savior of the day, because I can easily see someone at the CW looking at all the backlash over Lexa and Lincoln, watching the original finale, and then walking up to Jason Rothenberg, swatting him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and saying "No! Bad showrunner! Bad! You go back and you edit that poo poo out right now, mister!"

I agree - I totally thought he was going to go eat a bullet, but I'm glad he didn't. Devon must be feeling so lucky, having been killed off twice on the show but getting both deaths retconned!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ending the finale that way would, outrage aside, also have been insane. It would sap all the resolution and attention from an excellent finale, and eclipsed the reunion between Clarke and Lexa.

I have to wonder what numbskull would have thought this would have been a good way to punctuate the season.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I was rooting for the Jasper suicide because I'm so sick of his mopey rear end lol

But what we should all be asking is, what do the lesbians think of the finale?!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Clarke versus the Matrix was super dull and full of cheap writing, with no consequence or tension. A lot of "I don't know how I know, but I know" and "this convenient switch will [plotplotplot]."

ufarn posted:

should of chosen the Helios ending

e: On that note, there was way too much deus ex machina in the latter part of this season; always stuff like new logic coming out of the left field that we're just supposed to nod and say "whoa" to. It was next to impossible to understand the stakes and the choices, because they kept introducing new mechanics, threats and whatnot, and the tension and intelligence of the writing kinda suffered for it.
Basically this. Definitely reminded me of a video game ending.

Couple other thoughts:
  • Lexa's "cameo" was real cheesy and bad (even if the eye makeup is rad). Like her death wasn't schmaltzy enough, here she gets a little turn to the camera smirk when she shows up like it's the '90s and Power Rangers or some poo poo.
  • Soundtrack at the end was strong, and good use of the actor's cryfaces, but still felt emotionally hollow.
  • Octavia killing Pike was the most interesting part of the episode, and while I didn't see it coming it doesn't really seem like a big deal either. Would've just sucked if they tried to keep him alive after everything he's done. Like Bellamy.
  • On that note, why is Bellamy still alive? And why is Jaha STILL ALIVE?! (Other than they killed off every other black main cast member)

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There was a disturbing lack of death in this finale
Yeah, zero cost to the whole thing. Thought at least Clarke flipping the switch would kill the chipped (though it would be a hella lovely way to kill Kane).

I am glad Jasper didn't kill himself at the end though, that would've felt super cheap to have him die to a hand basically unrelated to the threat of the entire season.

Putting aside the way that the episodes have been just uninteresting and slow paced and predictable to sit through, and that all the characters have become less and less likeable or consistent...the whole AI thing was a strange move for the show.

I'm not too sure what to think of it in the end. I mean I kind of respect that they took such a hard genre swing from post-apocalyptic human stories into vaguely high concept sci-fi. Especially considering the inevitable road of the previous seasons led to the grounder tribe politicking that proved so dull at the START of this season. But on the other hand, the look and feel of the supposedly futuristic spacey show had always been very "modern day" and mechanical. Even the Ark, previously the most sci-fi thing on the show was all pipes and cables and people like Raven with wrenches and poo poo, not some fancy CG holographic Minority Report display like every Marvel property would do...But in the end, we have Raven staring at lines of code and characters reacting to computer screens and it all feels...a bit poo poo.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 20, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I enjoyed it. :kiddo:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Add me to the list of people who thought Jasper was sneaking off to end himself. I actually don't think there would have been much outrage over Jasper's death if only because his character has gotten really, really stale at this point (and I say that as someone who has been very tolerant of him). I think the show is likely weaker for keeping him around, so they're gonna need to massively overhaul him in S4 somehow. Death by suicide would have caused some controversy, and the show does have issues with trying to be a babby Game of Thrones that's soooo daaaark. But I think most people would have been fine with Jasper gone (though yeah, maybe not by suicide given the scrutiny they've faced).

e: drat, VagueRant, you pretty much nailed my feelings about this season. :agreed:

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 20, 2016

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

A good poster posted:

I laughed so hard at Murphy's expression when Abby cracked the chest and told him to start pumping. Murphy is the literal best.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rosalind posted:

Raven has been able to solve every electrical, mechanical, or programming problem so far so why not a nuclear reactor?

Good point, you got me there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
One both sides, Jasper killing himself would've at the same time made the most sense but it would also be the cheapest unearned poo poo ever. Basically it boils down to him taking the chip, which was all off-screen and so was whatever emotional justification for it all in the service of providing a little bit of tension for the Arkadia scenes in the finale and so he could monologue for about a minute in the City of Light.

All the poo poo Jasper went through we have the rough idea of it but the show glossed over it to the point where his decision to finally take the chip despite everything is undercut, so if you end with him killing himself it's cheapened because the show never showed how he got there no matter how much you can draw lines from one scene to another, the show didn't bother to do the legwork to earn it.

It's basically just a microcosm of everything wrong with the writing on the show sometimes, it skips over the actual work you need to do to get to the good stuff so it feels unearned. Another example is Pike. They spent like 7, 8 episodes of him telling everyone how poo poo the grounders are and how he needs to be chancellor and bring the war to everyone, but the show never shows his actual point of view on the grounders - for example actually showing how when Farm Station landed it was actually utter poo poo - and he just kept telling people that and we were supposed to take his word for it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jasper killing himself makes a whole bunch of sense, but it in the context of the rest of the episode, it would drag down everything and turn a generally excellent finale into one big groan.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It also wouldn't have fit with Clarke's whole bit about overcoming pain.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I enjoyed the hell out of every moment of that finale. :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: out of 4 on my arbitrary and undefined scale

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crusty Nutsack posted:

But what we should all be asking is, what do the lesbians think of the finale?!

I think it's funny that some people have called her scene in the finale 'course correction' when the finale was written and filmed two months before her death scene even aired.

And by some people I mean I read one review, but I imagine more people see it that way and it makes my heart laugh.

source: i love vaginas

e:

VagueRant posted:

It also wouldn't have fit with Clarke's whole bit about overcoming pain.

I think it would have, in the sense not everyone is strong enough to overcome it.

My issue with Jasper's arc is I feel he was already overcoming it. Then all of a sudden he takes a chip off screen because no wait, it's actually still so bad for him he would rather join this AI that was willing to immediately have Raven kill herself once she wasn't useful any more, willing to use Monty's mom as a weapon to the point Monty had to shoot her to stop her, etc.

I can see why the showrunners or network execs, or whoever decided to change it did, but I personally think it would have been a stronger finale overall and a more coherent arc for Jasper if they kept it. It will be really interesting to see how they handle his character next year.

Not to say him living makes the finale bad or anything, and it's nice to see the group end on a happier note for once. Happy as it can be with a the guilt these formerly chipped people are being crushed with.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 20, 2016

• Locked thread