Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Alright, time for someone to ask: What's Gelding a Dwarf do to them, behaviorally? Also, do cock merchants then start coming to your fort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Alright, time for someone to ask: What's Gelding a Dwarf do to them, behaviorally? Also, do cock merchants then start coming to your fort?

Probably a more germane question to ask in the DF thread.

As for here: It seems that odd heat exchange issue does just come from having too small a fridge, I presume because theres constant heat transference from the walls. Very odd.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is this thread now about ethics in survivalism?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

:stare:

what the gently caress, you can castrate dwarves in DF now!?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Looks like Gelding is a labor associated with castrating ANIMALS, but ANYTHING can be gelded with a proper bladed weapon strike.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Flesh Forge posted:

I like to mod in penis anatomy so I can castrate all my male colonists :shrug:

Take note of the word mod.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dylguy90 posted:

Yeah because violence against women is totally a cool subject to joke about

I missed the conversation but i'm not going to miss the chance to poke fun at you over this stupid post.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Pawns are people, too.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a list of the awful mary sue characters? (Honestly I am happy whenever I get one since they are usually astounding at one thing only. I just turn them into my basement painting goblin.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly don't remember seeing any mary sue characters :psyduck: Was I just not paying attention?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
For example, the Vat Grown Sex Slave character who has "was gang raped every day since she was a baby" was defined by a heavy contributor.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wait what?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mary Sue characters were the best in Prison Architect, where you'd get expert serial killer Night BlackDark who was a green beret with a hundred thousand confirmed kills in your prison for littering and public indecency

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

Wait what?

It's not quite that horrific. She's a vatgrown slave trained as a domestic slave who later became a sex slave. Still pretty hosed up, since her defined age is 15, and I think whoever designed her has some issues.

That said, when she joined one of my colonies her high cook skill meant she was an invaluable member since she kept the rest fed and happy (or at least not miserable due to raw food or nutrient sludge).

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah Emmie's contributor is a hosed up individual, but the character is what you make of it. Unless you take the time to read her in game bio, all you'll see is a pawn with high cooking and social who can't fight, or do dumb labors I think.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

She's useful at least, I have her be my cook and backup warden. Although my wife is mad cause my pawn married Emmie instead of her pawn :shrug:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Emmie was the first pawn I ever got

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

Wait what?

I'm not even kidding

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
She's a fast walker that can warden. That's like the rare unicorn of pawns. I don't care who's sex slave she was.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Everyone is useful for their organs, meat and skin, Emmie more than most.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol what the gently caress. Why is that even necessary?

Are you using some nexus mod and loving with me?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Blacktoll posted:

The mod is called crowdfunding

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

Tynan added that because a guy paid extra to specify it. Not joking.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Never underestimate the power people with money have.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
To be fair I think she's the only really egregious one. A lot of them are just mild nerd fantasies about going from being VR geeks and toilet cleaners to space admirals or whatever. Also I think I've only ever seen Emmie crop in my games (as a colonist) a couple of times. I get Vas and Engie all the time, though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Emmie is fictionally coherent to the rest of the game world. The sad thing is that Tynan let her get put into the game. He probably cleaned up the original plan for Emmie a bit to make her fit into the story of the game without getting too much into the Squick factor

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

Wait, people hate artists? My last game, a colonist who wouldn't do much but could do art pretty much paid for all of my trading. poo poo's worth good money. And it keeps people from going insane when the 19th epidemic that year breaks out.

Really good artists are worth keeping at just about any cost because masterwork sculptures are super profitable, and also the best thing to trick out your rooms with to make everyone incredibly happy all the time.

Mediocre artists with no redeeming qualities however can contribute as dinner.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I dunno, to me it's just a block of text and doesn't have much effect on the game. Beyond just going "huh well that's kinda gross" at the first viewing of it I don't care too much. :shrug:

Might make stuff interesting if a character's personality and interactions with other colonists actually was affected by their backstory though, like an emancipated slave getting pissed about selling prisoners or a member of nobility getting annoyed if anyone has better stuff than them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tynan is a neo-fascist manbaby, I doubt not having gangrape backstories doesn't even register on his radar as a thing that might be cool.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tias posted:

Tynan is a neo-fascist manbaby, I doubt not having gangrape backstories doesn't even register on his radar as a thing that might be cool.

Does anyone have screenshots of those old twitter posts? Someone asked me about Rimworld and I told him it was kinda poo poo and made by someone that doesn't deserve his money and he didn't believe me when I mentioned the tweets.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gibbo posted:

Does anyone have screenshots of those old twitter posts? Someone asked me about Rimworld and I told him it was kinda poo poo and made by someone that doesn't deserve his money and he didn't believe me when I mentioned the tweets.

Well you're objectively wrong about one thing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, I'm afraid Rimworld's quality overrides any shittiness Tynan espouses online. It's just a good time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Besides, he's a relatively cool and chill guy with a good work ethic, so long as politics aren't mentioned. And Rimworld's a great game, I don't care even if Hitler himself made it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
You say that now, but watch as someone inserts Adolf "Fuhrer" Hitler into the game with the backstory of Jew Hunter.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

A game mode where the crash survivors are historical figures would be pretty rad.

Hitler, Gandhi, and Eleanor Roosevelt crash on a backwater planet.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

CainsDescendant posted:

A game mode where the crash survivors are historical figures would be pretty rad.

Hitler, Gandhi, and Eleanor Roosevelt crash on a backwater planet.

This is how that ends in short order.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A little tip if you're playing with Prepare Carefully and you hate your colonists: you can start them out naked for a whole bunch of extra points. Even on Ice Sheet biomes. Tynan nerfed the effects of freezing cold quite a lot. They don't like it but that's a few thousand extra points for supplies, and you end up with more clothing than you need in the first couple of weeks anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

A little tip if you're playing with Prepare Carefully and you hate your colonists: you can start them out naked for a whole bunch of extra points. Even on Ice Sheet biomes. Tynan nerfed the effects of freezing cold quite a lot. They don't like it but that's a few thousand extra points for supplies, and you end up with more clothing than you need in the first couple of weeks anyway.

If you're going to do that, why not just turn off points?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For the same reason I'd rather use a mod that allows you to stick traits on colonists rather than just adding those traits via console :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
looks like a14 and the steam early access launch will be in july

https://ludeon.com/blog/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/