Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Stringent posted:

just fwiw, swift is really good

swift reminds me a lot of scala, and I'd like to use it more as it matures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Zemyla posted:

RAM is cheaper than programmer time. Stick a several MB chip upstream of the FIFO, right before the USB black box, and have it hold the overflow.

this is a prototype. i'm sticking a fat chunk of sram on the next board but until then i have no choice but misery
it isnt gonna be upstream of the fifo, its gonna be the fifo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah basically my ideal language would be a serious/terrible OO imperative lang that allows simple toll free bridging into a functional lang for when i want functional behaviors

well, my ideal lang would be a functional lang that allows toll free bridging into an oo lang for when i want oo behaviors

which basically sounds like C#/F# so that would be perfect if it werent for being tied to microsoft.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# is real good and Microsoft is the best so get in.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah basically my ideal language would be a serious/terrible OO imperative lang that allows simple toll free bridging into a functional lang for when i want functional behaviors

well, my ideal lang would be a functional lang that allows toll free bridging into an oo lang for when i want oo behaviors

which basically sounds like C#/F# so that would be perfect if it werent for being tied to microsoft.

as far as one language being all things to all people it's swift imo. unfortunately apple has a lot of leftover bad habits that will probably prevent it being adopted outside of apple's sphere.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
we made our first official code convention: no wildcard imports.

so far everyone had used whatever was their ide's (and sonarqube's) default settings, but today an ~*~opinion~*~ was expressed in the developers channel, discussion was had and then a decision was made.

i then went and created the project coding conventions wiki page with that one line in it and added the rule to sonarqube.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is sonarqube any good? i.e. not lovely

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

somebody please convince me that visual studio is good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious QIG posted:

it's a terrible programmer thread axiom. i've literally never used it and yet I know that it is good.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Notorious QIG posted:

it's apparently good, feels like nothing special using it though. but i dunno, NetBeans was like literally sucking my dick on top of everything else it does.

e: i still get hard just thinking about it's maven integration

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

if the black box is working correctly (it might be, not actually sure), it will realize it is being backpressured by the device that is reading from it; its internal fifos will start to fill up, and the backpressure will move up the chain
what's the exact back pressure mechanism? UART flow control or something else?

it's a bit of a hack, but if hwfc was in use you should be setting the device to reject writes from the host when the fifo's above a watermark. set the watermark artificially low to test if the black box is sending when it shouldn't, verify with oscope traces

Zemyla posted:

RAM is cheaper than programmer time. Stick a several MB chip upstream of the FIFO, right before the USB black box, and have it hold the overflow.
this doesn't really apply to hw. unless there's ram sitting on the dev kit already that would be an extensive rework on both the hardware and hdl sides

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

c# is real good and Microsoft is the best so get in.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

ok so ive got a piece of hardware talking over usb to a piece of software
the piece of hardware is an fpga, and its got a lil dinky fifo in it. the fifo can hold, i dunno, like 1k words
the contents of those words occasionally introduces things that happen (relatively) slowly, say a few milliseconds or more
when those things happen, the fifo might overflow with incoming words, which is really bad. it takes many words (dozens/hundreds) to set up the system state; if we lose a word, our state is corrupted and poo poo is hosed
so the system needs to say 'hey im busy, chill out'. so the piece that's taking a long time to do the slow action has to tell the piece that's feeding it data that hey hold on i need to finish the last thing; the piece thats feeding it needs to stop pulling data out of the fifo; the fifo will start to fill up, and the piece writing data from the usb device into the fifo needs to notice that the fifo is almost full. the piece writing data from the usb device then needs to stop reading data from the usb device.
at this point we hit a black box of usb device all the way up the software stack to the pc.
if the black box is working correctly (it might be, not actually sure), it will realize it is being backpressured by the device that is reading from it; its internal fifos will start to fill up, and the backpressure will move up the chain
eventually, the driver will learn it cant dump more poo poo down the pipe, so the method call that's writing data down the pipe will block until the whole system unjams, then it will finish its write and the rest of the system will go on its merry way

that's how its supposed to work, anyway
somewhere in there it doesn't

this seems bad

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

eventually, the driver will learn it cant dump more poo poo down the pipe, so the method call that's writing data down the pipe will block until the whole system unjams, then it will finish its write and the rest of the system will go on its merry way
oh, you could artificially simulate this

add a command that just echoes the index into the return buffer. have host software sitting above the black box track how much buffer usage it's expected to consume with each command, make sure there's enough buffer for commands before sending, don't assume any rx in between

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
the reason I do not find f# useful is that you are not allowed to have reference cycles between types unless they live in the same file, and your project organization must be "a list of files" because the order of the list matters. it's like writing c without forward declarations or extern

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

its real good

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

raminasi posted:

the reason I do not find f# useful is that you are not allowed to have reference cycles between types unless they live in the same file, and your project organization must be "a list of files" because the order of the list matters. it's like writing c without forward declarations or extern

that sounds like it's completely useless for making anything of notable size or in a team

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's a terrible programmer thread axiom. i've literally never used it and yet I know that it is good.

idk man i just dont really like ides. they feel way overcomplicated to me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

its ok but its auto complete is not as good as eclipse.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs 2015 is the best visual studio yet w/ vs15 looking to be even better!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

idk man i just dont really like ides. they feel way overcomplicated to me

just use the bits that you like. you can close every window that you don't use. idk how i'd live without it at this point

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Does anyone else ever wonder how much Microsoft pays Shaggar?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ides are really good and you'd have to be insane not to use one.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

visual studio is good

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

ides are really good and you'd have to be insane not to use one.

mostly this. what's your project in QTG?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use the 2 good languages, c# and java.

for c# i use visual studio and for java i use eclipse. they are the best IDEs for their respective languages.

people will tell you intellij is good but they're wrong.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vs is real good

also i always liked this thing in nunit where you can push different cases through the same unit test body, i dont think junit or mstest have anything this neat

code:
[TestCase(1, true)]
[TestCase(4, true)]
[TestCase(5, false)]
[TestCase(-6, true)]
public void IsLessThanFive_GivenInput_GivesExpected(int input, bool expected)
{
    IThing myThing = new Thing(input);
    var result = myThing.IsLessThanFive();
    Assert.AreEqual(expected, result);
}

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xunit has that too

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

i use the 2 good languages, c# and java.

for c# i use visual studio and for java i use eclipse. they are the best IDEs for their respective languages.

people will tell you intellij is good but they're wrong.

netbeans

i will fite u

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HoboMan posted:

netbeans

i will fite u
correct, you do have to fight netbeans to get anything done

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

HoboMan posted:

that sounds like it's completely useless for making anything of notable size or in a team

well, sorta. you can't really write a large thing in pure f#, but you can write a large .net thing made up of smaller pieces that all happen to be written in f#. using c# to glue together f# libraries with all of the interesting logic seems like the way to go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i haven't used netbeans in like a decade so i have no idea but eclipse works real good and is the standard for the language.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's not necessarily that visual studio is good GOOD it's just that every other ide is super bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

well, sorta. you can't really write a large thing in pure f#, but you can write a large .net thing made up of smaller pieces that all happen to be written in f#. using c# to glue together f# libraries with all of the interesting logic seems like the way to go.

functional languages are mostly useless. use c# instead because it has all the good parts of functional languages

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Symbolic Butt posted:

it's not necessarily that visual studio is good GOOD it's just that every other ides are super bad

i feel like i don't understand how the building and linking is done because it abstracts it all away into "solutions"

im not claiming that make is some paragon of programming tools but i like how explicit it is in terms of the exact steps your compilation is taking

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

c# is really good. microsoft is really good.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

correct, you do have to fight netbeans to get anything done

interesting, that has been my experience with eclipse

e: also thought the autocomplete was garbage so maybe i got some hosed up version v:confused:v

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 20, 2016

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

youre beating us, we release a new version every 18 months or so. so much retrofitting in between.

the magic of ~hyperspace~

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious QIG posted:

i feel like i don't understand how the building and linking is done because it abstracts it all away into "solutions"

I agree, call me an idiot but......

.....I use make instead of visual studio's building system

because at least I understand my own make poo poo

Notorious QIG posted:

im not claiming that make is some paragon of programming tools but i like how explicit it is in terms of the exact steps your compilation is taking

oh snap, I didn't read this before typing that lol

I don't even edit code INSIDE visual studio, I use it more like a debugger, I feel like it's pretty good for that and everyone should try it. it doesn't need to replace everything you already use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious QIG posted:

for the average windows programmer creating average windows programs the solution model works fine - it compiles each file then links them into whatever your output file type is

however you can have vs run your makefile instead of letting it make its own build decisions

• Locked thread