Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

frisk will become doomguy's friend

It's been done already. :colbert:

the OFFICIAL DOOM NOVELS feature a sequel where the Doomguy returns to Doom (perhaps, as you say, in a NG+) and rather tha killing demons he converts them to Christianity where they become his friends.

This is a mechanic that Doom 5 needs to borrow I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

By the way, in the same way the Polygon-gifs should be posted every 50 pages or so as a cautionary tale, DraQu beating ultra-nightmare should be posted as an inspiration. It's how I imagine the actual Doom Marine would beat the game. It's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QtWCTDk8Q

He's got the Nightmare speed runs and the Easy speed runs down to like 1:25. He says Ultra Nightmare is next now that he knows the skips.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Phobophilia posted:

frisk will become doomguy's friend

The sight of Super Shotgun fills you with Doom Termination :twisted:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I haven't felt this way since playing Doom and Duke Nukem as a kid but I just need more of this game. I want something beyond Snapmap I want a full fledged map editor I want to make massive crazy single player levels and campaigns. I want to download something like Going Down someone else has made. What's the chances they ever release a full map editor?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Probably somewhere between never and certain.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

the OFFICIAL DOOM NOVELS feature a sequel where the Doomguy returns to Doom (perhaps, as you say, in a NG+) and rather tha killing demons he converts them to Christianity where they become his friends.

deus ex is already the friendly shooter where no one needs to die

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ImpAtom posted:

Baptismal Font Gun 9000

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I haven't felt this way since playing Doom and Duke Nukem as a kid but I just need more of this game. I want something beyond Snapmap I want a full fledged map editor I want to make massive crazy single player levels and campaigns. I want to download something like Going Down someone else has made. What's the chances they ever release a full map editor?

Never, but trust me YOU DO NOT WANT A MAP EDITOR FOR ID TECH 6. You couldn't do dick with it. It would take you literal months just to make a single room. That's WHY they made SnapMap. Giving you the tools to make Doom maps from scratch would accomplish nothing because you can't feasibly do it. Even if you somehow got a mod team together you'd still barely be able to get off the ground, unless you're all actual professionals with experience and you're willing to work full time on it.

People underestimate how much work modern games are. They're an insane amount of full-time work, for as many as hundreds of employees, working 40 hour or more weeks every week for years.

Instead, you should download this: http://www.doombuilder.com/ or this http://slade.mancubus.net/

And then make maps just like 'Going Down' for Doom 1/2. Unlike Id Tech 6, with Doom 1/2 engines you can throw together an entire level in an afternoon. In a week or two you could build an entire episode. And Doom 1 and 2 are still hella loving fun times.

The lower level graphics and more abstract appearance gives you freedom to build things faster and focus more on the gameplay than fixing bugs with terrain z-fighting or messing with brushes or making sure that every specific version of a model and its normal maps and parallax maps all get imported properly into the toolchain and then making sure the lighting gets compiled right and then making sure the megatextures get properly compiled and atlassed and... its just not feasible to make Id Tech 6 maps yourself as a hobbyist, but Doom 1/2 is loving perfect for that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

JerryLee posted:

Man, after finishing the Doom campaign, I've been going back to playing through TNO in between replaying Doom missions, and, well... I'm certainly not going to call TNO a bad game but it's amazing how quickly I started to take for granted little quality of life things like "being able to climb up on a low ledge" or "falling eight feet without losing any health"

That's probably the biggest difference for me too is the platforming aspect - other FPS games either limit it, don't implement correctly, or end up not using it. The jump-grab on ledges and other little things like that make a HUGE difference in traversing different levels and making the world feel more "open". It's weird going from older FPS titles that were limited in how large and exploratory their level designs were, to having a world that felt almost limitless with where you could go and what could be done.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Never, but trust me YOU DO NOT WANT A MAP EDITOR FOR ID TECH 6. You couldn't do dick with it. It would take you literal months just to make a single room. That's WHY they made SnapMap. Giving you the tools to make Doom maps from scratch would accomplish nothing because you can't feasibly do it. Even if you somehow got a mod team together you'd still barely be able to get off the ground, unless you're all actual professionals with experience and you're willing to work full time on it.

People underestimate how much work modern games are. They're an insane amount of full-time work, for as many as hundreds of employees, working 40 hour or more weeks every week for years.

Instead, you should download this: http://www.doombuilder.com/ or this http://slade.mancubus.net/

And then make maps just like 'Going Down' for Doom 1/2. Unlike Id Tech 6, with Doom 1/2 engines you can throw together an entire level in an afternoon. In a week or two you could build an entire episode. And Doom 1 and 2 are still hella loving fun times.

The lower level graphics and more abstract appearance gives you freedom to build things faster and focus more on the gameplay than fixing bugs with terrain z-fighting or messing with brushes or making sure that every specific version of a model and its normal maps and parallax maps all get imported properly into the toolchain and then making sure the lighting gets compiled right and then making sure the megatextures get properly compiled and atlassed and... its just not feasible to make Id Tech 6 maps yourself as a hobbyist, but Doom 1/2 is loving perfect for that.

I feel like someone who's really into the new DOOM 2016 lore could run with it and make a neat WAD for DOOM OG, maybe with a few gameplay inspirations from the latest incarnation.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm late on this but:

Linguica posted:

Wow some purestrain goons.txt in the last few pages Jesus Christ

I don't know which is worse: trying to pick apart the deep lore of the Doom Universe, or openly ignoring what the game actually says because of my precious headcanon

I liked the whole speculation about what the alternate universes and dimensions actually meant and ignoring the obvious. it's the modding community you dopes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crusader posted:

I feel like someone who's really into the new DOOM 2016 lore could run with it and make a neat WAD for DOOM OG, maybe with a few gameplay inspirations from the latest incarnation.

Guaranteed somebody's gonna rip sprites of the gun models and make a gun pack for classic doom out of the new doom weapons.

If they haven't already...

a retard posted:

I'm late on this but:

I liked the whole speculation about what the alternate universes and dimensions actually meant and ignoring the obvious. it's the modding community you dopes

Yeah I'm pretty sure the whole "doomguy stayed in hell for a billion years fighting demons cuz he liked it" is their way of nodding towards the fact that we as doom players kept playing doom 1/2 for years and years on a bunch of community maps before Id released another official Doom (and even after that).

Its really great how they didn't toss anything out; DOOM has references directly to Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, the modding community, the comics, the books, pretty much everything.

I'm not sure if there's any direct Doom 64 references but I think somebody said something earlier? Could be mistaken.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

DOOM has references directly to ... the modding community, ... the books
Really? What?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
easily the most fun I've had with a shooter in a year. I only wish there was co-op multi in the campaign.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

a retard posted:

I'm late on this but:

Yeah, I'd been thinking this would be an awesome interpretation-- basically what Zaphod said above. Every time someone releases a WAD worth playing, that's another parallel universe that Doomguy gets to save from the demons! :buddy:

Also, I would have said that sneering at people for being engaged with something is more goons.txt than the being engaged itself, but I guess goonsay is always in the eye of the beholder

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

easily the most fun I've had with a shooter in a year. I only wish there was co-op multi in the campaign.

If there are a good hoard mode (not the eh snapmap stuff) or co-op mode I may never stop playing the game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

a retard posted:

I'm late on this but:

I believe I briefly touched on that subject.

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 20, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom gives me a similar rush to bloodborne with the way Health works etc. if I'm about to die it's just like "gently caress I'm not killing poo poo hard enough. I gotta kill this poo poo harder!!!!"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

NESguerilla posted:

Doom gives me a similar rush to bloodborne with the way Health works etc. if I'm about to die it's just like "gently caress I'm not killing poo poo hard enough. I gotta kill this poo poo harder!!!!"

Especially so when there's a neat mechanic where the health dropped by monsters is higher the less health you have. It encourages you to go balls out all the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Especially so when there's a neat mechanic where the health dropped by monsters is higher the less health you have. It encourages you to go balls out all the time.

Same with ammo

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Lmao at you if you don't think Doom is art.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kramjacks posted:

Lmao at you if you don't think Doom is art.

Doom absolutely is art, and has been all along.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Zaphod42 posted:

This post is a ways back but i need to throw in my two cents.
You say this poo poo like it hasn't become incredibly easier to make stuff on that level. It really has. Back when RAGE was released things were still in a pretty helter-skelter Wild West environment where things were changing in ways that made it harder. Tools weren't being made fast enough to catch up with the needs of developers. But now? Any dork can look up tutorials and make a hi definition gun, vehicle, room, character in anywhere between a week or a month. Hi def modelling is trivial, texturing even moreso. And once you create the assets you need? Strew them loving everywhere. It's never been easier, and we don't have to deal with the insanely poopybad game that was Rage, where nobody had any interest in modding it in the first place.

Unless we're just talking about how IdTech in general is kinda weird, then yeah it MIGHT be more difficult to play with than the average. Everything in time, or whatever.

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot
Doom is fart, and I love to rip and tear

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm serious when I say everybody should try out making Doom 1/2 maps with SLADE. Its really easy and really fun, and you can do some fantastic stuff.

Everybody make a basic map and then share it in the thread and we can all play each others' maps. I have one from a few weeks ago I was playing around with, I should finish it.

Colon Semicolon posted:

This post is a ways back but i need to throw in my two cents.
You say this poo poo like it hasn't become incredibly easier to make stuff on that level. It really has. Back when RAGE was released things were still in a pretty helter-skelter Wild West environment where things were changing in ways that made it harder. Tools weren't being made fast enough to catch up with the needs of developers. But now? Any dork can look up tutorials and make a hi definition gun, vehicle, room, character in anywhere between a week or a month. Hi def modelling is trivial, texturing even moreso. And once you create the assets you need? Strew them loving everywhere. It's never been easier, and we don't have to deal with the insanely poopybad game that was Rage, where nobody had any interest in modding it in the first place.

Unless we're just talking about how IdTech in general is kinda weird, then yeah it MIGHT be more difficult to play with than the average. Everything in time, or whatever.

Lol, if it takes you "between a week or a month" to make a single gun, vehicle, etc. how the hell long do you think its going to take to make a full room? You have to make all those assets first, and no, it is not as simple as "strew them loving everywhere", there's way way way more to it than that with Id Tech 6. Just running the map editing program requires a really powerful machine because it was all designed from the ground up for professional game dev teams, so you can have multiple artists working on the same map at the same time in parallel. I said it would take you months and that's the point. Its just not feasible for a single person or even a small, hobbyist internet team to make enough content for a level, much less put all that content together and test it and build up the navmeshes and scripts and triggers and things you need for it to be playable.

Second, yes, I AM explicitly talking about IdTech 6, and how the gently caress did you not get that from the post that began "YOU DO NOT WANT A MAP EDITOR FOR ID TECH 6" ?? Like seriously what the gently caress dude. Obviously I'm not talking about all game development in general. I'm talking about Doom running in the Id Tech 6 engine. That's what we're talking about here. People asking for modding tools for Doom 4 (2016), what thread did you think you were in?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 20, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm alright with "games as art" but I feel that focusing on one side too much leads to a bad experience. We've recently seen a huge surge in art games (and a lot of really bad ones too), and not enough games willing to just be games. I feel that the best games (Deus Ex, Half-Life, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, etc.) are able to combine both of these elements into one in order to make a compelling story that's also incredibly engaging and fun to play.

There's too many Gone Homes and Life Is Stranges IMO, and until recently there haven't been enough Dooms and Wolfensteins.
The Order 1886 was a similarly hilarious example. It went so hard into the GAME IS ART thing that it shot itself in the foot. Everyone was expecting werewolf murder simulator 2015, and we got a lovely movie full of plot holes, with a shittier Gears of War bolted on amongst the unskippable sequences and boring as hell QTE's.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DOOMtm is loving great. What is badly needs though is more levels, and BIGGER GUTS.

More level packs instead of multiplayer horseshit please, I'll buy all of them. You can skip the cutscenes too, kthx.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

DOOMtm is loving great. What is badly needs though is more levels, and BIGGER GUTS.

More level packs instead of multiplayer horseshit please, I'll buy all of them. You can skip the cutscenes too, kthx.

No, cutscenes are great. I want more problems being fixed with punches (and kicks).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone uploaded the e1m1 elevator music version that plays when you pick up a little Doomguy figure?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 20, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think I'm gonna try to make my first Doom 2 map this weekend.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Anyone see this yet?

He has this idea that the plot of Doom doesn't have anything to do with Samuel Hayden or the UAC or whatever. The plot is that Doom itself (a game where Doomguy goes around RIPPING AND TEARING) is a ritual and the players themselves are taking part in that ritual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m424XwGH1Uc

Also his mouse clicking is super loud.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

so if what I am hearing is correct, the chronological order of doom games is

DOOM
DOOM 2
DOOM 64
Doom 3
DOOM

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Morter posted:

No, cutscenes are great. I want more problems being fixed with punches (and kicks).

I like that kind of cutscenes. What I don't like is people talking and not letting you kill stuff or break things.
There are a few cutscenes where you can't do poo poo but to listen to people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm serious when I say everybody should try out making Doom 1/2 maps with SLADE. Its really easy and really fun, and you can do some fantastic stuff.

Everybody make a basic map and then share it in the thread and we can all play each others' maps. I have one from a few weeks ago I was playing around with, I should finish it.

Lol, if it takes you "between a week or a month" to make a single gun, vehicle, etc. how the hell long do you think its going to take to make a full room? You have to make all those assets first, and no, it is not as simple as "strew them loving everywhere", there's way way way more to it than that with Id Tech 6. Just running the map editing program requires a really powerful machine because it was all designed from the ground up for professional game dev teams, so you can have multiple artists working on the same map at the same time in parallel. I said it would take you months and that's the point. Its just not feasible for a single person or even a small, hobbyist internet team to make enough content for a level, much less put all that content together and test it and build up the navmeshes and scripts and triggers and things you need for it to be playable.

Second, yes, I AM explicitly talking about IdTech 6, and how the gently caress did you not get that from the post that began "YOU DO NOT WANT A MAP EDITOR FOR ID TECH 6" ?? Like seriously what the gently caress dude. Obviously I'm not talking about all game development in general. I'm talking about Doom running in the Id Tech 6 engine. That's what we're talking about here. People asking for modding tools for Doom 4 (2016), what thread did you think you were in?

Cool down there Sparky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I like that kind of cutscenes. What I don't like is people talking and not letting you kill stuff or break things.
There are a few cutscenes where you can't do poo poo but to listen to people.

There are a couple of annoying ones where you're locked into staring and they stand out because nothing else in the game is like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

redbackground posted:

Has anyone uploaded the e1m1 elevator music version that plays when you pick up a little Doomguy figure?

Its more of a retro low-fi cellphone than elevator music. Elevator music is like, smooth jazz dude.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly a PC that can run Doom 4 on Ultra is probably strong enough to handle the map editor anyway. (or probably even less, considering PCs in the year of our lord doomguy 2016) Yeah I GUESS you would need a server farm if you wanted to do things 'The Id Way', but even a hobbyist could put something fairly nice looking together. You also seem to assume that it hasn't been improved since... what, 2011? And really, how hard is it to make scifi block assets anyway? (trick question: it isn't) You can make a crate less than an hour, a tiled normal map wall texture in less probably, and alot of the kinds of props they use are literal non-issues too. You can also get away with drawing a heightmap and then converting that to a normal, or even stamping in height alphas to add extra normal detail. And thanks to things like Quixel Suite and Substance, texturing is now totally trivial, where you're just modifying pre-generated stuff to look natural to the eye.
I speak this from actual experience creating stuff like this. I said a month as the longest time frame because usually that's reserved to the most complicated poo poo, like character models and highly complicated, animated weaponry or vehicles. Doom 4 actually has very little of that overall, so that's less that anyone has to worry about. Maybe there's some pathing magic that would take effort to work out, but honestly, look at what people do with Bethesda games and try to tell me people aren't prepared these days to slam headfirst into this poo poo, even with Idtech being such a strange beast as it is.

You're a very angry individual, please try and calm down.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2016

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
It has everything to do with the way idTech 6 is set up. Everything Colon Semicolon said could be done pretty easily in Unreal Engine but idTech is a different beast altogether. And if the Rage mod tools are anything to go by you really don't want mod tools for Doom.

At this point even Carmack recommends Unreal/Unity3D for indie devs starting out instead of modding.

a retard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 20, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I didn't realize we had so many people with idTech experience in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
He isn't wrong, the days of opening up maya and exporting to the game's editor are over.