Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Smol posted:

Uh oh, every time (5 times) I've tried invading the host has had two friends at their side. This isn't a lot of fun. :(

Yep on my first playthrough I burned through every cracked red eye orb I had and never once — not even a single time! —did i invade someone without 2 helpers. Haven't bothered since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So anri storyline - I'm in anor londo, I've killed the pilgrim in Boreal Valley, now I'm supposed to be summoned for Aldritch but I can't find his sign. I can see a prism stone but no summoning. Do I need to kill Aldritch first?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
are you embered? also if you havent teleported out since entering anor londo try that. also you cant be summoned by him if you kill Aldritch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

double nine posted:

So anri storyline - I'm in anor londo, I've killed the pilgrim in Boreal Valley, now I'm supposed to be summoned for Aldritch but I can't find his sign. I can see a prism stone but no summoning. Do I need to kill Aldritch first?

No, you sound glitched. I don't think the prism stone shows up unless the sign does so you did the quest right I think. Are you embered? Try warping, try quiting, try getting summoned to another world.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Lobos is attempting a full run in VR today: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Not sure how long I can stand watching it for, considering the massive FoV. Of course he might just get motion sick and have to tap out soon anyway.

Jesus, this is really hard to watch even though it's neat. I don't know how it's considered playable in the least

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Sellsword Twinblades with Lightning Blade is like the most powerful I've ever felt in a Dark Souls game. Their L1 combos are just ridiculous against bosses when buffed. I tried Gotthard's Twinblades too, but the combo attacks are a lot slower and can't tear through boss HP in the same way.

Why is this starting weapon so amazing. It's almost frustrating how much it outclasses all of the cool weapons I've found throughout the game. It's not very good for PvP, though.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Smol posted:

Uh oh, every time (5 times) I've tried invading the host has had two friends at their side. This isn't a lot of fun. :(

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Yep on my first playthrough I burned through every cracked red eye orb I had and never once — not even a single time! —did i invade someone without 2 helpers. Haven't bothered since then.
Same, PvP invading is garbage assholes. The only people who seem to ember are doing it with a friend to gank invaders.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Evfedu posted:

Same, PvP invading is garbage assholes. The only people who seem to ember are doing it with a friend to gank invaders.
Yeah invading is kind of hit or miss. I spent about 3 hours invading right outside Pontiff's last night. Too many gank squads and/or fight clubs, neither of which I was interested in, since I was PurpleBro'ng for my covenant rewards. It was fun if I invaded with a couple of Aldis/Fingers and the odds were a little more even. A startling number of them seem to not understand that if we gang up on the host- we ALL win. So there were several which attacked me directly, while I was engaged with the host. Like - I get it, you're not in my covenant, but c'mon dude. Help me get the host.

So I assume if I kill Yoel, and I didn't accept any offers to Draw Out True Strength, Yuria will never appear, yes?

Also: re-iterating my request for someone to drop me an Izalith catalyst if you've got one sitting around you aren't using. I am up to watchdogs, and SL 30.

PSN: Monkrocker

Message me if you can help. Also - if my idea about about Yuria is correct, I may need those two rings she sells, too. :(

Or I can just start over. With the Dancer glitch, it only took about an hour to get this char to 30.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HaB posted:

So I assume if I kill Yoel, and I didn't accept any offers to Draw Out True Strength, Yuria will never appear, yes?

yes

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Dangit. I wasn't even thinking about needing Yuria's rings, and I had never just straight up killed him before so tried it to see if he dropped anything.

:(

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
I normally don't share gay twitch streams with people but this happened while playing a Simon Belmont run.

Sorry for the lack of audio, apparently castlevania music will mute your video.

https://www.twitch.tv/malafool/v/67288170

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
What is the easiest way to get Mound Makers covenant if both in NG and NG+ now I completely blazed past the guy in the settlement with the cage. I am at Soul of Cinder again now in NG+ and trying to get it since it's the only covenant I don't have, I was under the impression from the Wiki that I should be able to meet Sirris at the Rotted Tree bonfire to do her invasion quest but no one is there.

Am I too far in the game like I'm guessing to meet her here? Is the only way to get that covenant now to go to NG++ and do her questline proper or get in the cage guys backpack?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Scorps posted:

What is the easiest way to get Mound Makers covenant if both in NG and NG+ now I completely blazed past the guy in the settlement with the cage. I am at Soul of Cinder again now in NG+ and trying to get it since it's the only covenant I don't have, I was under the impression from the Wiki that I should be able to meet Sirris at the Rotted Tree bonfire to do her invasion quest but no one is there.

Am I too far in the game like I'm guessing to meet her here? Is the only way to get that covenant now to go to NG++ and do her questline proper or get in the cage guys backpack?

Not sure if you can get in the cage guys backpack if you're already that far, but I could definitely be wrong. not sure about Sirris. I have only completed her questline on one character and that char was already in the Moundmakers.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Maybe it has something to do with being a Demons Souls vet and coming from that world where the 'ambush' style of play was still common, but I see so many rageposts in the DS3 subreddit about invading and being forced into a 1v3.

So many players wanting fair duels during invasions, but... I'm pretty sure that's not how it was ever meant to work.

You hide in the area, wait for them to come, and ambush them, right? Am I the only one who plays like this? Phantoms will probably die along the way (maybe even the host!) because a lot of players are still figuring out the game. When or if they reach you, you spring whatever hilarious trap you've come up with.

You're an enemy - invasions aren't about e-honor, they're about stabbing the host in the back and ripping out his or her tongue :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pyrus Malus posted:

Maybe it has something to do with being a Demons Souls vet and coming from that world where the 'ambush' style of play was still common, but I see so many rageposts in the DS3 subreddit about invading and being forced into a 1v3.

So many players wanting fair duels during invasions, but... I'm pretty sure that's not how it was ever meant to work.

You hide in the area, wait for them to come, and ambush them, right?
Am I the only one who plays like this? Phantoms will probably die along the way (maybe even the host!) because a lot of players are still figuring out the game. When or if they reach you, you spring whatever hilarious trap you've come up with.

You're an enemy - invasions aren't about e-honor, they're about stabbing the host in the back and ripping out his or her tongue :v:
You've never invaded an opponent that has cleared out the entire level of enemies with their phantom horde and is just waiting for you? Because that's a solid percentage of my invasions. Not all of them, mind, and I got a fair number where I could do exactly what you said, but when people complain about the 1v3, that's what they mean. Sometimes they even hang out near the fogwall so if its going south the host can sprint for the exit.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Cephas posted:

It's not very good for PvP, though.

It's fine for PVP. The R1 is fast and goes a decent distance because of the forward step, so it's not hard to whiff punish with it. The running and rolling L1 are really good because it's so active so it will catch lots of rolls. The spin weapon art is unparryable so you have a natural mixup there, and the L1 and R1 will combo naturally into it and the followup and the combo will oneshot most people when you're buffed.

I use it Sharp with 35 dex and 50 faith. Yorshkas Chime to cast Darkmoon Blade. Ring of Favor, Lingering Dragoncrest, Magic Clutch, and Priestess Ring. After you buff you can remove Priestess Ring and replace it with something else, Hunters Ring if you want some extra AR or Hornet Ring if you're going to be parrying. If you run out of buff in a battle and can't recast it for whatever reason you can swap Lingering and Magic Clutch with other stuff.

With 602 AR the L1->L2->R2 combo does 1500+ damage on most people.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Scorps posted:

That's the end step in that questline. You're missing a few steps. Look it up on The Wiki

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Pyrus Malus posted:

You hide in the area, wait for them to come, and ambush them, right? Am I the only one who plays like this? Phantoms will probably die along the way (maybe even the host!) because a lot of players are still figuring out the game. When or if they reach you, you spring whatever hilarious trap you've come up with.

Yeah but that's the thing - there is no "along the way". People will summon 2-4 Sunbros, and just camp at the bonfire. They aren't playing through the level and aren't even trying to come find you, or at least not venturing very far to do so. Some people *might* wander around the first part of Anor Londo looking for an invader, but usually not.

If I invade and see "Kill the host or 4 phantoms" I usually just crystal out, unless some Aldis invade right at the same time so we have a fighting chance. Otherwise it's just boring.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cephas posted:

Why is this starting weapon so amazing. It's almost frustrating how much it outclasses all of the cool weapons I've found throughout the game. It's not very good for PvP, though.

It actually owns for PvP since R1 into weapon art is a combo, its running L1 is excellent for catching rolls, and its rolling L1 is also very good though not spammable like the Gotthards. Also the weapon art is just straight up unparryable making it the fastest unparryable attack in the game (unless that guy posting about caestus attacks being 100% unparryable was right)

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Instant Grat posted:

That's the end step in that questline. You're missing a few steps. Look it up on The Wiki

If I understand correctly tho I've already skipped so far by killing Aldrich that she should be at that step, unless I need to check the bridge into Irithyll maybe again or something. I was trying specifically to remember to get it early in NG+ and then I got all amped up cause I was on such a streak that I went from start of NG+ all the way through Deacon's in one play session and missed it :(

-edit- Actually I think my problem is I apparently never went and got Dreamchaser Ashes will go turn those in and see if I can run through her quest. The Wiki is nice because it has all the steps but a lot of the information regarding when you can do certain things isn't exactly true (it implies for the Anri quest that you have to do it by a certain point, but I did every single step of that quest while still doing attempts on the SoC at the very endgame so I take the Wiki steps with a grain of salt somewhat)

Scorps fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 20, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

No, you sound glitched. I don't think the prism stone shows up unless the sign does so you did the quest right I think. Are you embered? Try warping, try quiting, try getting summoned to another world.

just so we're clear, this is where the summon sign should show up?

I've tried invading, getting summoned, warped to firelink a few times. It doesn't show up :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cephas posted:

Sellsword Twinblades with Lightning Blade is like the most powerful I've ever felt in a Dark Souls game. Their L1 combos are just ridiculous against bosses when buffed. I tried Gotthard's Twinblades too, but the combo attacks are a lot slower and can't tear through boss HP in the same way.

Not sellsword but I have won all my fights so far with raw warden twinblade +2, no buffs. People just get stunlocked to death/bled out. I thought maybe I had gotten gud but the more likely answer is that twinblades are op in pvp!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

B

Pyrus Malus posted:

Because its 3+ ppl with an area cleared out or them sitting at the bonfire with a seed active. And if you manage to kill any of the phantoms they just get summoned again by the host.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ogilvie posted:

I normally don't share gay twitch streams with people but this happened while playing a Simon Belmont run.

Amazing. Perfect ending as well.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Gologle posted:

That's too perfect a name to be believed, but just in case: You bastard, that's my waifu!

it was even better because in the post I typo'd betwixt of yorshka

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ogilvie posted:

Very good!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So after a fair bit of testing I've found that the hollowslayer greatsword does not in fact gain its +50% damage vs hollows bonus against hollow players. So there goes that supposed downside to hollowing. Is there literally any gameplay downside to going hollow aside from your character looking like a wrinkled prune?

I'm pretty sure it's made real clear that the Hollowslayer doesn't get a bonus in PvP.

I don't think there is a downside to it. I think that this time around, the developers didn't want hollowing to be a punishment like it was in DS 1 and 2. You would actively avoid hollowing because of the horrible penalty involved. I believe that's a good decision, especially in a world where literally everything is hollowing and dying out, especially with how late in the lore DS 3 is.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I've been playing through the game completely blind, but co-op with a friend who's also blind (eg: we didn't even discover the password system until a few zones in)
It's been a lot of fun, probably the most fun I've had on a first playthrough through a souls game. I've played the other ones blind/solo first time through, but co-op has always been really fun in these games.

From farron's onwards, we were consistently invaded, usually multiple times, in pretty much every area of the game which made level progression pretty fun and interesting. There are some pretty nasty ambush locations :)

In particular, going through the aldrich area after pontiff, we got a total of 11 invaders between us so that was just a pure gauntlet of madness.

HaB posted:

A startling number of them seem to not understand that if we gang up on the host- we ALL win.

Speaking of which: https://www.twitch.tv/animatorzed/v/63315667
Feel free to jump to 0:55 for the important bit.

We've finished the game now. Definitely looking forward to playing through again solo and trying to get more of the npc storyline stuff which we very clearly missed out on most of.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Ogilvie posted:

Fantastic!

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

double nine posted:

I've tried invading, getting summoned, warped to firelink a few times. It doesn't show up :(

Have you killed Horace?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

double nine posted:

I think it shows up over by the lever. I had the same problem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HaB posted:

Yeah but that's the thing - there is no "along the way". People will summon 2-4 Sunbros, and just camp at the bonfire. They aren't playing through the level and aren't even trying to come find you, or at least not venturing very far to do so. Some people *might* wander around the first part of Anor Londo looking for an invader, but usually not.

If I invade and see "Kill the host or 4 phantoms" I usually just crystal out, unless some Aldis invade right at the same time so we have a fighting chance. Otherwise it's just boring.

I think in an hour and a half of invading crucifixion woods last night, I found one dude and his buddy actually playing through the level. They died very fast. Otherwise people are either sitting at the bonfire, sitting at boss fog, sprinting to boss, running giant seed, or have cleared the whole zone. There were zero opportunities to ambush. I guess I could afk and hope they finally advanced but it wasn't worth it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pyrus Malus posted:

There's several problems with this. First off is that the game's been out for a month now, and a lot of people playing the game are already at least reasonably familiar with it so it's not like invasions are just noob stomps anymore. Secondly, healing in PVP is extremely free so if you don't alpha strike your target, they'll probably escape and full heal, meanwhile you're sitting in a blender of swords and there's not much you can do about it. Thirdly, in my experience, as soon as people see the invasion message they just loving run back to the bonfire, summon as many phantoms as they can, and then stand around and wait for you to engage them. Fourthly, there are plenty of actually constructed gank squads that just clear out the level, use a dried finger, sit by the bonfire, and wait for people to invade the game (with the high priority due to the finger) just so that they can ruthlessly murder them.

The situation that you're describing where you lurk in a level and ambush the mark while they're progressing is surely the intended invader situation, but in practice it's actually pretty uncommon; the Souls series is seven years old by now and nobody is blithely wandering into invader ambushes anymore. The invader is saddled with so many disadvantages and every idiot host knows how to neutralize their one advantage (of being the attacker). It's not that invading is impossible, not at all; it's that it's so goddamn hard for the invader that it's incredibly frustrating to invade ten games in a row and every one is a 3v1 where at least one of the sunbros has endgame gear.

eta: I'm sure that the opposite situation would really be equally undesirable, where the host has minimal advantages and invasions end up actually being noob stomps. Pretty much any invasion I've had where I actually did invade a single guy progressing through a level has ended extremely poorly for the mark; they're too far away to return to a bonfire, they have already depleted some of their Estus fighting monsters, and the invader has all of the mobs still in the level to mess with you. That stuff is pretty fun for invaders but I'm sure that people just trying to finish a level really dislike that when some twinked rear end in a top hat in end-game gear comes in and crushes you with huge spells and lighting weapons and stuff. So I guess I don't know what the solution really should be.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 20, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I honestly was really happy killing a level 30 phantom who was wielding a Dragonslayer greataxe

After my first play through I would engage mobs when invaded just to get it over with. Once you know the winged knight farm it's not like souls matter

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 20, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just leave if they camp the bonfire.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yea invading in this game is really dumb and not fun. :(

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

mastershakeman posted:

I honestly was really happy killing a level 30 phantom who was wielding a Dragonslayer greataxe

After my first play through I would engage mobs when invaded just to get it over with. Once you know the winged knight farm it's not like souls matter

why would anyone bother farming purely for souls when you really should just farm silver knights for ears and get souls and gear to sell at the same time.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011
To celebrate the end of my Caestus-only playthrough, here's me punching out the last boss.

SPOILERS, LAST BOSS, WARNING ETC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRtgTHSpCQ

It's really sloppy but I just wanted to show what Perseverance can do.

Jalisr fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hypha posted:

Hardly, it swings kinda slow. All pole arm weapons in this game rely on zoning and baiting mistakes. If you can stay on top of them and get in hits between swings, you should win handedly. The last place they really want you is right beside them.

I know it swings slow, but I seem to be unable to avoid it because of its tracking. It keeps bonking me through a roll too. I've only seen it a few times though.