Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that does not look good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's kind of interesting that the show is DC comics as hell, but yeah, woof.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Yeah, that does not look good at all.

It felt more like a 30 Rock mock show really.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think I'd ever watch it, but it doesn't look like the most horrible thing, so I'm glad for Kate Micucci.

Glad for Kate too, and I hope they give her a good role all the same.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:shrug: Looked like a better thing than most dreadful middle of the road sitcoms.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

:shrug: Looked like a better thing than most dreadful middle of the road sitcoms.

Agreed but only because it is literally exactly that with DC comics fan service dumped all over it like hot gravy. Also Alan Tudyk makes almost everything better, I look forward to rooting for him over all of the "good guys" in the 3 or so episodes I watch of this before I give up on it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
A show set in an original universe could have been way better and much more interesting, since it could reveal its own mythos over time. It also would have been cancelled in the first season, but this will too, so at least we would have gotten something original, that isn't just DC References: The Show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

A show set in an original universe could have been way better and much more interesting, since it could reveal its own mythos over time.

No.

No, that would be horrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was really bad.

The show is not going to last the season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ToastyPotato posted:

A show set in an original universe could have been way better and much more interesting, since it could reveal its own mythos over time.

This would've resulted in a planet full of DC heroes just named slightly differently. At least this way you could, in theory, bring on DC heroes who actually exist but nobody cares about significantly (like Hawkman et cetera) in a more comedic context. Which is at least interesting for novelty's sake.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol Like this show won't at least get 2 seasons on NBC

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"It's like the Office with those super heroes the kids all like."

show gets 17 seasons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a half hour sitcom that is saddled with a CGI budget on top of that. If it's not a breakout hit it'll be a very quick kill unless someone is just trying to save face.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reminder: NBC used to have The Office, 30 Rock, Community, and Parks and Rec on the air all at the same time. They also picked up Seinfeld.

Where did it all go wrong?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

X-O posted:

This is a half hour sitcom that is saddled with a CGI budget on top of that. If it's not a breakout hit it'll be a very quick kill unless someone is just trying to save face.

I'd be willing to bet that we don't see a lot of the superhero action besides little snippets here and there. We'll probably get a lot of "So Green Lantern was fighting Sinestro on my way in to work. Crushed a bunch of orphan puppies." sort of stuff a lot.

Or at least that'll how it be in the second+ season when the budget is cut, like Community never going outside ever again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reminder: NBC used to have The Office, 30 Rock, Community, and Parks and Rec on the air all at the same time. They also picked up Seinfeld.

Where did it all go wrong?

Parks and Rec, and the Office, and Community all started out like poorly and looked like trash from the Pilot episodes.

They all got fixed relatively quickly.

Comedy shows are all about how good the actor's and writers are at adapting and finding characters.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Parks and Rec, and the Office, and Community all started out like poorly and looked like trash from the Pilot episodes.

They all got fixed relatively quickly.

Comedy shows are all about how good the actor's and writers are at adapting and finding characters.

Community also never had very strong ratings. And Parks and Rec never attained the level of success that The Office had. By the time those two rolled in, despite how funny they were, NBC was heavily hemorrhaging viewers. When 30 Rock and The Office died, they took their viewers with them. For whatever reason, people just stopped watching NBC sitcoms, even similar sitcoms ended up blowing up on other networks (Modern Family.) Though to be fair, ABC had two sitcoms die early deaths that would have fit in tonally with Community and Parks and Rec (Happy Endings/Apt. 23). Hell I'd even throw Cougar Town in there, but that actually lived longer than expected thanks to a network change.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
A long time ago someone posted a podcast link in the general TV IV thread detailing NBC's fall from grace. Really wish I'd saved that link.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HIJK posted:

A long time ago someone posted a podcast link in the general TV IV thread detailing NBC's fall from grace. Really wish I'd saved that link.

If by some miracle you ever find it, please share the link.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddammit Legends of Tomorrow I wanted to drop you forever and then in the last five minutes you remove the second worst part of the show and introduce an actor I like playing a character I like? That's pretty low.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Goddammit Legends of Tomorrow I wanted to drop you forever and then in the last five minutes you remove the second worst part of the show and introduce an actor I like playing a character I like? That's pretty low.

Well son of a BITCH. Should I bother watching the last episode, or was the article I read summarizing it enough? I'm definitely going to check out next season. Hopefully they shake things up behind the scenes and make the show better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

Well son of a BITCH. Should I bother watching the last episode, or was the article I read summarizing it enough? I'm definitely going to check out next season. Hopefully they shake things up behind the scenes and make the show better.

Nah the episode was the same mediocre as usual except for when Det. Lance showed up because he makes every scene he's in great. The end definitely suckered me back into watching it again for at least a little bit next season.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

Please tell me Hawkgirl died.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrProsek posted:

Nope. Which is good because even though her character was written poorly the actress made her one of the only likable people on the show. She is written off though, along with the awful Hawkman and Vandal Savage. I wouldn't mind if she came back without any of that plot baggage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hawks gone, show is automatically 200% better. Although I honestly can't believe they're keeping both Firestorm and Heatwave on, I'd figure writers/Berlanti would want them available for appearances on Flash and/or Arrow maybe.

Also I know people have been down on the CW shows this season but I appreciate Arrow's new "gently caress it, whatever" attitude. Nukes on US soil? Sure! Explosions leading to a giant crater in the middle of the city? Whatever! Yeah people still live here, why the gently caress not? Frankly, I don't know how much more "comic book" it gets than people still living in a place no sane human would. I'm not being ironic, I genuinely love this crazy poo poo. Although if someone doesn't kill Malcolm Merlyn soon, John Barrowman's face is gonna start triggering uncontrollable rage in me.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 20, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrProsek posted:

Or that Rip Hunter went back to his home planet and that the time spaceship was shot down over the sea of Japan. There were no survivors.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

Nope. Which is good because even though her character was written poorly the actress made her one of the only likable people on the show. She is written off though, along with the awful Hawkman and Vandal Savage. I wouldn't mind if she came back without any of that plot baggage.

Oh yeah, the actress is absolutely not a problem for the show and makes Hawkgirl much more endearing than Hawkman at the very least. That spoiler sounds pretty good and I agree with the second half of that sentence.

Madkal posted:

Or that Rip Hunter went back to his home planet and that the time spaceship was shot down over the sea of Japan. There were no survivors.

This would massively improve things. Again the actor's not terrible but the character and his related plots are pretty consistently boring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The writing for Rip is just as bad as Hawkgirl bit unfortunately the actor is also poo poo and can't save it. He's easily the worst part of the show, which sucks since he's the main character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arthur Darvill's actually an incredible comedic and dramatic actor and it says loving something to how poo poo the writing must be that he can't save it. Believe me, he has single-handedly saved atrocious episodes of television via his acting prowess, so.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It unironically astonishes me that people can like Flash and in the same breath think that Legends of Tomorrow, a far better show by every technical metric, is super bad.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

They're all stupid/good in different ways.

Just catching LoT and got hit by Blunt-weapon stupidity in TV.

They literally had a Savage killing weapon in form of a Hawkmans spiked mace. Hawkgirl scores multiple full force hits on Savages chest, back and head, but he is barely winded. Not even bleeding from you know, those spikes. What a crap weapon!

I'm expecting that he'll go down from a single dagger stab on finale or something, because "reasons".

EDIT: Yeah. Single stab. Never go for blunt!

Issaries fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 20, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

It unironically astonishes me that people can like Flash and in the same breath think that Legends of Tomorrow, a far better show by every technical metric, is super bad.

It's me, I'm that guy. I counter wittily by saying it astonishes me that you can think LoT is a better show than Flash good show.

e: I mean if by technical metric you mean CGI yeah I guess they're doing pretty good there on a CW budget but I mean man, talk about polishing a turd.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The big problem with Rip's character, and really the season itself, was that you had him saying "Time wants to do what it did" and fueled a lot of single episode drama by racing against the timeline solidifying, but Rip's entire driving motivation for the season was him trying to tell time to get hosed and save his family. It feels like they were trying to do a thing on the stages of grief, but it was way too muted and just made Rip seem like a self-centered rear end in a top hat. Hopefully now that he's moved past that Rip can settle into being the last of the Time Lor Masters and doing fun expository poo poo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NxIg3tuUo

This can't be real, can it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's real. I wonder if they'll still have the band.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm 50-50 on this. Sacasa has done amazing work on Afterlife With Archie, giving it a darker edge without losing the characters. On the other hand, the show is a Berlanti production on the CW and Sacasa was also a writer for Glee.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

It's real. I wonder if they'll still have the band.

Josie and the Pussycats have been cast, so I assume they'll be the musical kids.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So let's get this straight. Riverdale is Teen Twin Peaks with a nice healthy dose of the statutory rape of Archie by a teacher?

Cool. Definitely the Archie I grew up reading.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I honestly had no idea this many people actually cared about Archie

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Arthur Darvill's actually an incredible comedic and dramatic actor and it says loving something to how poo poo the writing must be that he can't save it. Believe me, he has single-handedly saved atrocious episodes of television via his acting prowess, so.

If he's pretty good he left his talent in some other series along the way because he's awful on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

I honestly had no idea this many people actually cared about Archie

Clearly you were never bored in the grocery store while your parents were shopping in the 90s.

I watched Batman and Superman the AnImated Series, but wasn't into superhero comics all that much when I was young - mostly because they were so dark and violent and Xtreme during that era. I was a timid little boy so I read Archie and Richie Rich and Uncle Scrooge and whatnot. I assume there are a lot of people like me, and then also the weird Christian kids who weren't allowed to read anything else.