Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I did the same at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
For a week or two after I got LASIK any time I woke up in the middle of the night and could actually see poo poo instead of random blobs and blurs I got the "OH GOD FORGOT TO TAKE OUT CONTACTS" panic before I remembered I didn't have to do that anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Been almost 3 weeks and the PRK appears to have healed up but my vision in that eye is no better than it was before. Going for another appointment on Friday and if it doesn't get any better than this I'm going to be pissed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Revolutionary New Procedure Could Replace Reading Glasses
https://gma.yahoo.com/revolutionary-procedure-could-replace-reading-glasses-171037390--abc-news-wellness.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry LASIK thread, this isn't specifically about LASIK. Hope to get it done soon but not just yet. :)

Wasn't there an glasses / contact thread that an optometrist maintained? I have some contact questions and just spent 20 minutes or so looking for the thread and couldn't find it. Anyone know?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Only help that I can give you is confirmation that said thread did or does exist. I cannot find it for you. My internet connection is horrible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Glad to hear I'm not crazy. I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

Oh well, guess I'm just going to have to get LASIK instead! :v:

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry LASIK thread, this isn't specifically about LASIK. Hope to get it done soon but not just yet. :)

Wasn't there an glasses / contact thread that an optometrist maintained? I have some contact questions and just spent 20 minutes or so looking for the thread and couldn't find it. Anyone know?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133007&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=52

Been over a year since anyone has posted there. Alternatively, I'm an optometrist in the U.S. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133007&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=52

Been over a year since anyone has posted there. Alternatively, I'm an optometrist in the U.S. Shoot me a PM if you want.

I have very mild dry eyes. How big of an issue is that with lasik? I'd like to hear from an optometrist as well. My prescription also isn't that bad but I do need glasses. So I'm hoping that would be less ill effects.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 16, 2016

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Arcland posted:

I have very mild dry eyes. How big of an issue is that with lasik? I'd like to hear from an optometrist as well. My prescription also isn't that bad but I do need glasses. So I'm hoping that would be less ill effects.

Dry eye syndrome is probably the most common complication following LASIK, although now that most reputable surgery centers are using femtosecond technology, the incidence of dry eyes has diminished. That being said, your eyes won't be any LESS dry after surgery. In general the lower your prescription, the fewer potential complications there could be.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
It is done.

I have a very strong eye-closing reflex and that was a concern the surgeon discussed with me. I can't put eyedrops in the normal way and eye doctors usually have to compete with my eyelids to get anything in my eyes. The main risk for that is that I would reflexively move my eye during the surgery. He said that if that started happening we might have to put off the surgery for another day or try for PRK. He said he could do PRK on just about anybody.

It turns out I have narrower than average corneas. This just made me more at risk for bubbles once the flap is cut and replaced. If that would have happened I would have had to wait around for them to reabsorb/disappear, which would have taken an hour or so.

The putting in and taking out of the things that held my eyelids open and whatever created the suction was actually the most painful part about it. It stung. The worst part was after the flaps were cut, the surgeon was doing his thing moving the flap around or whatever. I could see but not feel things moving over and jabbing into my eye. Bleuuaruruurrrghhhh.

I had done a lot of reading of experiences but hadn't watched any videos about the actual procedure. I maybe should have because I wasn't as prepared as I maybe felt like I should have been. I was shaking pretty bad during the surgery and had an anxiety attack afterwards. It helped when they told me what they were doing but they didn't do that all the time.

While I was waiting for my ride they put me in the kids waiting room with the light out. I ran into a bench because I had my eyes closed. My shin is in more pain than my eyes are. The medicated drops sting a bit and I feel a little bruised and occasionally it feels like there's an eyelash in my eye. I went home and put on some music and dozed on and off, but later in the evening I felt well enough to be on my phone for short periods.

My eyes are bloody and gross looking. Cool.

I had my followup appointment this morning. Due to the way some blood vessels are in my right eye I have some red blood cells underneath the flap. They'll monitor me and they think I'll probably just end up needing to use the anti inflammatory drops for longer than expected.

But I can see! My glasses prescription needed to be changed anyway so this is double plus good!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Did they not offer you a xanax or valium beforehand? I thought that was standard procedure.

I didn't watch any videos on purpose beforehand because I didn't want to be able to envision what was happening to my eyeball. I know exactly what you're talking about with the flap poking, I remember that happening and thinking "this should be freaking me out but isn't!" since I'd been given a valium before they started.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
They did offer and I did take it, started with an A? Might have been alprazolam/Xanax. They said it would help more with getting to sleep afterwards rather than managing anxiety during the procedure. I don't think it did anything except make me sick to my stomach, but that may have been the anxiety.

The surgeon would ask for "a dry sponge!" and then it was like watching a window washer squeegee a window way up close. Creeeeeepy.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Dry eye syndrome is probably the most common complication following LASIK, although now that most reputable surgery centers are using femtosecond technology, the incidence of dry eyes has diminished. That being said, your eyes won't be any LESS dry after surgery. In general the lower your prescription, the fewer potential complications there could be.

I'm stupid and actually I don't think my dry eyes are much of a problem anyway. I was wondering why I was having issues recently than remembered..allergies.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

It took about a year for my eyes to stop being really dry after LASIK. 2+ years out my eye moisture level is back to normal.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It took about a year for my eyes to stop being really dry after LASIK. 2+ years out my eye moisture level is back to normal.

Took me about 6 months or so.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Just got LASIK done yesterday morning at Cornea Associates of Texas in Dallas. I was nearsighted with very mild astigmatism, -4.00 left/-3.75 right eye in contacts. I got custom vue intralasik. Procedure went by real quick, getting the flap cut was definitely the most unnerving part but the staff was great and talked me through it all.

The recovery has been pretty smooth, I had trouble getting a nap afterwards but I made it through the burning/watery eyes for the first few hours after. I haven't had much of an issue with dryness at all, but I do notice blurriness if my eye dries out a little. Was a little worried when I woke up last night and the goggles they gave me had fallen off. I'm a stomach sleeper which isn't ideal, anybody have tips for sleeping the first week after? I'm thinking about using tape, at the very least I hope it wakes me up if the goggles fall off.

All in all it has absolutely been worth the $4000 I paid!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Zochness posted:

Just got LASIK done yesterday morning at Cornea Associates of Texas in Dallas.

:hf:

I got mine done there too! I'm actually wearing my free t-shirt I got at my post-op appointment as I type this.

I lived in Waco at the time so I spent the whole two hour drive back to my house in the back seat with super irritated eyes with tears pouring down my face trying not to look at anything.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zochness posted:

I'm a stomach sleeper which isn't ideal, anybody have tips for sleeping the first week after? I'm thinking about using tape, at the very least I hope it wakes me up if the goggles fall off.

Ideally the week after the surgery you're just supposed to lie on your back. The goggles usually don't work right otherwise.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
5 monthish update: even more solidly 20/15 and I can sorta make out the 20/10 line. Coming from 20/400 or whatever it would be if they tested high enough, and with no post op complications, and in one operation, I'd call this a resounding success.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 14, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also less starbursting still, and what's left is just starting to blend in to "oh a bright light" squinting.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am doing a consultation August 2 to fix my Nearsightness. The place I searched for in Charlotte had great reviews, but being the paranoid person I am I dig around the internet and find all the little comments about how LASIK is a scam or it just fucks up their eyes more. Is this an issue with LASIK/PRK or just a chance?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

There is a very small chance something could go horribly wrong. Even less so with newer technology or with smaller corrections and maybe also thicker initial corneas. Ectasia (destabilization of the cornea) seems to make up basically all the disaster outcomes with more recent tech from what I gathered, and isn't 100% predictable. Older tech seems like it might have a higher chance of producing long-term annoying amounts of starbursting/irregular astigmatisms, or various annoyances that don't destroy visual acuity but might impact quality of life. Think something like visual tinnitus. Along with custom mapping, more recent lasers use smaller laser points and/or cut a larger radius to help prevent problems like that. I'd find out what laser they're using, and make sure it's a more recent one, since that is liable to be the largest factor in outcome with how automated it is. Some places will use older (but still FDA approved!) lasers to save money. All the bigger names with money here seem to favor the Allegretto Wave Eye-Q system, which is what I had used on my eyes. I also had a laser flap made instead of a blade cut, but opinion seems a little more divided there among opthamologists on whether laser flaps are much better yet from what I gathered.

You likely will have at least some starbursting and/or halos long term. In my case at least though, with some serious astigmatism, it's less of a problem than the irregular thorn bushes I got with glasses, and I'm not 100% done healing yet.

It's not a scam though, just a surgery, and things can happen during surgery. Probably the best money I've ever spent aside from stuff like food to not starve to death. I see much better than the best glasses I've ever had in my life.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Kylra posted:

There is a very small chance something could go horribly wrong. Even less so with newer technology or with smaller corrections and maybe also thicker initial corneas. Ectasia (destabilization of the cornea) seems to make up basically all the disaster outcomes with more recent tech from what I gathered, and isn't 100% predictable. Older tech seems like it might have a higher chance of producing long-term annoying amounts of starbursting/irregular astigmatisms, or various annoyances that don't destroy visual acuity but might impact quality of life. Think something like visual tinnitus. Along with custom mapping, more recent lasers use smaller laser points and/or cut a larger radius to help prevent problems like that. I'd find out what laser they're using, and make sure it's a more recent one, since that is liable to be the largest factor in outcome with how automated it is. Some places will use older (but still FDA approved!) lasers to save money. All the bigger names with money here seem to favor the Allegretto Wave Eye-Q system, which is what I had used on my eyes. I also had a laser flap made instead of a blade cut, but opinion seems a little more divided there among opthamologists on whether laser flaps are much better yet from what I gathered.

You likely will have at least some starbursting and/or halos long term. In my case at least though, with some serious astigmatism, it's less of a problem than the irregular thorn bushes I got with glasses, and I'm not 100% done healing yet.

It's not a scam though, just a surgery, and things can happen during surgery. Probably the best money I've ever spent aside from stuff like food to not starve to death. I see much better than the best glasses I've ever had in my life.

Thanks for the response. Is there a difference in "side effects" that can be produced by LASIK vs PRK?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I don't think it's a scam. You just have to realize that out of the 10,000 LASIK surgeries that happen, there's going to be 1 or 2 people that are going to be unhappy and they especially will be very very vocal about it. And by unhappy I don't mean going blind but maybe not getting perfect 20/20 vision - which is more of a risk when your prescription is pretty bad to begin with. I don't think it's a scam. I got it done a year ago and I'm at 20/15 - 100% worth it. I also heard that you actually have a higher risk of developing eye issues if you wear contacts when compared to getting LASIK done.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

Thanks for the response. Is there a difference in "side effects" that can be produced by LASIK vs PRK?

Yeah. You'll have less possible issues with things like flaps coming lose with PRK since there's no flap. If you're in a high contact environment/profession, PRK is probably a safer bet. Presumably more recent LASIK advancements in laser flaps have made it good enough for athletes, the US Air Force and NASA astronauts though, so you probably won't have an issue either way. Laser cut flaps tend to be thinner, and presumably have less stability issues due to that. But if you do happen to be a professional fighter or something where constant hard impact forces on your eyes/head is more or less guaranteed, maybe go for the PRK. Anecdotally though, I happened to get hit straight in one open eye with a soccer ball 3 months post-op and the flap stayed put with no complications or loss of vision.

Recovery for PRK is much longer, and it will be a while before you get your final results and you may have more short term complications. You may also have to go in twice unless you want to be blind for a few days from bandage coverings. Lasik, I walked out with 20/20 and I went on a tour the next day seeing better than I had in decades. (I just had to put eye drops in every hour while I was there)

As far as I know, the rest of the long term complications regarding ectasia, halos/starbursting type effects, loss of contrast/night vision, potential loss of best corrected visual acuity and so on as well as final visual acuity results are relatively similar when properly screened. Other than that PRK needs less corneal thickness, so if you're borderline or not a candidate for LASIK for that reason, then you'll probably have to do PRK. Other than the corneal thickness thing, this claim I am a lot less sure of though. I'm just someone that's done their pre-surgery homework on a critical organ, not a doctor. That's something that should be assessed and explained at the consultation though.

Busy Bee posted:

I don't think it's a scam. You just have to realize that out of the 10,000 LASIK surgeries that happen, there's going to be 1 or 2 people that are going to be unhappy and they especially will be very very vocal about it. And by unhappy I don't mean going blind but maybe not getting perfect 20/20 vision - which is more of a risk when your prescription is pretty bad to begin with. I don't think it's a scam. I got it done a year ago and I'm at 20/15 - 100% worth it. I also heard that you actually have a higher risk of developing eye issues if you wear contacts when compared to getting LASIK done.
Ectasia alone is like 1 in 2000-5000 or so based on what I've read, and is a fairly serious complication that might require additional, more invasive, non-lasik surgery if contacts to stabilize the cornea won't work sufficiently or are intolerable. You can't get glasses for ectasia either because your corneas do not stay put so the prescription likewise does not.

If I had to take that risk again I'd still totally do it again though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 16, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

To be clear though, ectasia is treatable, even if it might not let you get 20/15 or whatever in the end. It's not like GAME OVER YOU'RE BLIND FOREVER. Realistically though, it seems like it's probably the only really serious potential complication that might happen outside of freak equipment malfunction accident type territory with newer custom mapping and laser technology, or poking your own eye the day after/otherwise fail to perform post-operative care, so it probably wouldn't hurt to look it up some if you're worried about the potential risk you're taking to make the risks of LASIK seems less unknown. I know it helped me feel better at least to sit down and look at some statistics and scientific studies.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 16, 2016

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'm two years out from my LASIK operation. The only noticeable long term side effects are my eyes are more sensitive to weather changes (they get really dry in the winter for example) and my night vision isn't as good as it was. It's not like I can't see in the dark, it just takes longer for my eyes to adjust.

Both of these things can also be explained by lifestyle changes, I no longer have a nice moist barrier that my contacts provided when it's dry out and I'm also no longer a night owl so I spend less time trying to see in the dark so my eyes aren't as used to it anymore.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Pulled the trigger and am getting Surgery Friday. I am doing PRK though, so a little bit longer recovery time but that's alright.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm two years out from my LASIK operation. The only noticeable long term side effects are my eyes are more sensitive to weather changes (they get really dry in the winter for example) and my night vision isn't as good as it was. It's not like I can't see in the dark, it just takes longer for my eyes to adjust.

Both of these things can also be explained by lifestyle changes, I no longer have a nice moist barrier that my contacts provided when it's dry out and I'm also no longer a night owl so I spend less time trying to see in the dark so my eyes aren't as used to it anymore.

I got PRK and my eyes were also more sensitive to weather changes which I mainly chalked it up to being used to eyeglasses redirecting wind away from the eyes or contacts covering the eyes and you needing to moisten it anyway through out the day.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'l be getting this now in the nearish future. Excited and nervous. Going to be getting an opinion from my optometrist as whether it's a good idea and whether he has a good idea about anyone in particular. Suuper excited.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Just had my four year PRK checkup Friday. 20/20 right eye, but 20/25 left eye. Still pretty good, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Been almost 3 weeks and the PRK appears to have healed up but my vision in that eye is no better than it was before. Going for another appointment on Friday and if it doesn't get any better than this I'm going to be pissed.

Had my 6 month checkup this week. I've healed up great and I'm 20/25 in both eyes so I'm pretty happy. The eye I had PRK 'focuses' a little differently and I'm still getting the hang of it.

As far as PRK vs LASIK goes, the recovery process of LASIK is so much easier and faster. PRK recovery sucked.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

As far as PRK vs LASIK goes, the recovery process of LASIK is so much easier and faster. PRK recovery sucked.

Yeah LASIK is like 2 hours of irritated eyes then you're good to go. PRK is days of recovery from what I've heard.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Yeah LASIK is like 2 hours of irritated eyes then you're good to go. PRK is days of recovery from what I've heard.

Weeks in my case. Still worth it! Plus I wasn't eligible for LASIK anyway.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Got my PRK last Friday. Vision was bad for the first two days, but healed up nicely. However, my vision up close starting last time has gotten a bit blurry, no idea why.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

Got my PRK last Friday. Vision was bad for the first two days, but healed up nicely. However, my vision up close starting last time has gotten a bit blurry, no idea why.
I can't see as well up close either. I just can't focus that closely anymore. Maybe that's the case here?

So basically instead of only being able to see a few inches away from my eyes, I can only see everything farther than a few inches from my eyes. My doctor said this particular kind of thing was fairly common.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Kylra posted:

I can't see as well up close either. I just can't focus that closely anymore. Maybe that's the case here?

So basically instead of only being able to see a few inches away from my eyes, I can only see everything farther than a few inches from my eyes. My doctor said this particular kind of thing was fairly common.

Well that's weird, is this something I have to deal now?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's a side effect of the focusing part of your eye having the same range of motion, but the "center" of that range being moved so that you can see things father away, assuming you were myopic and you have better best corrected visual acuity than your previous glasses/contacts now. So instead of close focus being the center of the range of the lens, it would be towards one of the extremes instead. Like before without glasses I could focus reasonably well on text with my forehead and nose touching the paper with only mild discomfort, but now the limit is it starts getting blurry closer than about 2.5-3 inches even straining my eyes as much as I can. Supposedly the better distant visual acuity you have after, the larger this gap is likely to be, and is also supposedly not uncommon among people with similar distant visual acuity who have not had vision correction surgeries.

If that's what's happening to you, then yeah, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also related: Why a lot of people need reading glasses when they get older. The lens that changes your eye focus loses some of its range of motion.

• Locked thread