Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Are all judo people weird? I think I might understand why I find it so appealing now.
My friend from the UK said back home his judo coach used to make everyone get a partner, grab lapels, and violently pull on them left and right for like a full minute or something, giving everyone rug burn on the backs of their necks. The purpose? To toughen up the skin on the back of the neck. Why? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress that poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone found the athletic unicorn undies that are short enough to not be seen when I'm wearing my daisy dukes and don't ride up my butthole (Muay Thai)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Any pair of briefs?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Is there a cure for the mcdojo brain disease? I know a guy who is insisting that the 'hapkido-based' knife defense system he's currently practicing is 'totally legit', and not a way to either get stabbed or get arrested for stabbing somebody.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Keg posted:

Is there a cure for the mcdojo brain disease? I know a guy who is insisting that the 'hapkido-based' knife defense system he's currently practicing is 'totally legit', and not a way to either get stabbed or get arrested for stabbing somebody.

Attack him with a knife I guess?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Keg posted:

Ask him if his school has ever done the red marker drill, and if not, act puzzled since it's a very typical training technique for knives. Then gently caress him up with the red marker.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Usually people just dig in harder if you confront them with their crazy bullshit.

The more effective way is flatter their intelligence and then get them to participate in something that proves the point, without challenging their assumptions or attacking them personally.

If it works, they'll act like the correct thing was their idea and what they always believed.

It's not very emotional fulfilling because you get no catharsis and takes a lot of time and patience. So I would just stab him*

*With a marker.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Sometimes it's just ignorance that needs education, it's not always crazy stuff. Like one time I mentioned to some friends that I was reading the Book of Five Rings and then they all started attacking me with kendo sticks. "SHOW US THE WAY OF STRATEGY OH I GUESS IT DOESN'T WORK" I don't hang out with them anymore.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Omglosser posted:

Sometimes it's just ignorance that needs education, it's not always crazy stuff. Like one time I mentioned to some friends that I was reading the Book of Five Rings and then they all started attacking me with kendo sticks. "SHOW US THE WAY OF STRATEGY OH I GUESS IT DOESN'T WORK" I don't hang out with them anymore.

Yes, this thing that absolutely definitely happened really proves your point

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I must be tired because normally I would not take this approach, but maybe it's just for the best to let him have his false sense of superiority. He gets to feel more confident, leading to a generally happier life for him and probably for the people around him as well. Chances of him being in a dangerous knife encounter and discovering the limits of his training are slim. You don't need to protect him, and you don't need to risk your friendship by bursting his bubble. Let it be :)

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 20, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Yeah I have a friend that trained Krav for a bit and I'd listen to him talk about their training and then he eventually got bored with it and moved on. The training sounded dumb but it didn't seem worth bringing up.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I will say that when I first started bjj I tried to get other people interested in it because I found it so fun but now that I've been doing for years I don't bring it up at all, assume random folks for the most part can't deal with the concept of injury management or need hand holding or whatever and it's just not worth it.

Maybe your friend is just excited about their new thing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

These days I'm a big fan of the "don't tell anyone unless they really drag it out of you" approach. If people start talking about their martial arts at parties (which is weird), whoever is loudest will probably come off sounding like the biggest idiot.

Everybody needs a good hobby, but BJJ isn't for everyone, and it doesn't need anybody to defends its honour.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Attack him with a knife I guess?

Ok now how do I hide a body?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

These days I'm a big fan of the "don't tell anyone unless they really drag it out of you" approach. If people start talking about their martial arts at parties (which is weird), whoever is loudest will probably come off sounding like the biggest idiot.

Everybody needs a good hobby, but BJJ isn't for everyone, and it doesn't need anybody to defends its honour.

This is the most un-Brazillian post ever.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Yes, this thing that absolutely definitely happened really proves your point

Oh I didn't realize you were there. A bunch of drugees in their early 20's who were playing with kendo sticks and foam weapons. Sound more plausible now? Sorry if my attempt at comedic abbreviation of the situation failed

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I was the one kicking your rear end with a stick

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Musashi would have been one of the sticks.

Keg posted:

Ok now how do I hide a body?

are you ready to find out what Acai really is?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

A friend recently was extolling to me how great of a martial artist Bruce Lee was. I politely disagreed, but to prove his point he started showing me Bruce Lee fights... from movies. I quickly realized this was a stupid discussion and we should move on. It is the jujitsu way.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

IMO the final word your friend should hear as you choke him into an endless sleep should be oss

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

A friend recently was extolling to me how great of a martial artist Bruce Lee was. I politely disagreed, but to prove his point he started showing me Bruce Lee fights... from movies. I quickly realized this was a stupid discussion and we should move on. It is the jujitsu way.

In fairness there is quite a bit of judo in his book

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bruce Lee had many good ideas and was a wonderful spokesperson. But people are really really dumb and his actual fighting ability.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rabhadh posted:

In fairness there is quite a bit of judo in his book

That he plagiarized from boxing and wrestling manuals, yeah

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Bruce Lee had many good ideas and was a wonderful spokesperson. But people are really really dumb and his actual fighting ability.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'm not sure what part we are reading but Bruce seems pretty realistic about Ali whooping his rear end.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

"I have little Chinese hands" might be the best Bruce lee quote ever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone know where I can learn the long lost deadly ancient legendary martial art known as Jeet Kune Do. I know Lee only taught like two people

Tia

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Keg fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 21, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I'm not sure what part we are reading

quote:

Bruce knew he could win a fight against Ali. "Look at my hand." he said. "That's a little Chinese hand. He'd kill me."

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

fatherdog posted:

quote:

Bruce knew he could never win a fight against Ali. "Look at my hand." he said. "That's a little Chinese hand. He'd kill me."

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I did JKD for a couple of years, and what I learned was pretty good, for the most part. There's two schools of thought in the JKD world, one that says "Bruce wanted to steal all the good stuff so we should keep adding and removing things", and one that says "we have to keep it exactly as it was when he died".

I went to a place that did the "heavy plagiarism" style, so I learned how to punch well, how to kick well, and how to grapple a bit. We did full-contact sparring, which kinda showed up which bits were nonsense - there was one guy who'd been doing it for years and wouldn't accept that Wing Chun trapping was just going to get you battered, and when we sparred he'd always try to pay your hand down and punch over the top (might be called a lop Sao? It's been a while). What would happen then is he'd eat a punch to the face, or a hard kick. Over and over. I guess he'd invested too much time into those bits to give it up. A shame.

We did a little bit of the trapping style stuff (which I don't believe works, due to evidence), some Kali (which was a fun warmup, but I saw some footage of Kali competitions and they're loving stupid), bits of Muay Thai, boxing, etc.

The head guy died a few years back now, and some of his schools stayed under the Magda Institute, but the one I trained at affiliated elsewhere, we expanded the grappling and cut back on the PunchKicks, and now we just teach BJJ and enjoy it. So it all ended well.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

de la peche posted:

I did JKD for a couple of years, and what I learned was pretty good, for the most part. There's two schools of thought in the JKD world, one that says "Bruce wanted to steal all the good stuff so we should keep adding and removing things", and one that says "we have to keep it exactly as it was when he died".

I went to a place that did the "heavy plagiarism" style, so I learned how to punch well, how to kick well, and how to grapple a bit. We did full-contact sparring, which kinda showed up which bits were nonsense - there was one guy who'd been doing it for years and wouldn't accept that Wing Chun trapping was just going to get you battered, and when we sparred he'd always try to pay your hand down and punch over the top (might be called a lop Sao? It's been a while). What would happen then is he'd eat a punch to the face, or a hard kick. Over and over. I guess he'd invested too much time into those bits to give it up. A shame.

We did a little bit of the trapping style stuff (which I don't believe works, due to evidence), some Kali (which was a fun warmup, but I saw some footage of Kali competitions and they're loving stupid), bits of Muay Thai, boxing, etc.

The head guy died a few years back now, and some of his schools stayed under the Magda Institute, but the one I trained at affiliated elsewhere, we expanded the grappling and cut back on the PunchKicks, and now we just teach BJJ and enjoy it. So it all ended well.
Just out of curiosity, did you all wear street clothes and shoes into class? I've heard of JKD doing that before. Was wondering what it's like.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
https://twitter.com/rogerkver/status/734469374652895232

lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Alright so doing MT I like to keep my distance of course

When I'm up against a guy with a good boxing base that gets in my space and starts throwing blows I just turtle if I can't move to the side and get stuck. Any quick suggestions? I generally try to throw my jab hand out and side shuffle or hook my way out but I keep putting my head down too low and catching uppercuts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Plum clinch him and throw him to the side? Plum clinch and threaten with anything so he can't fire in close.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Omglosser posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you all wear street clothes and shoes into class? I've heard of JKD doing that before. Was wondering what it's like.

We didn't do it when I was there, but before I started I think they did, they liked the idea of it being 'real'. Pros and cons both ways I suppose. When I started attending it was shorts and t-shirt/rashguard, so pretty normal really. It really was just good bits stolen from other arts. Probably done less well in some cases, but we stopped all the JKD stuff (highest percentage stuff in terms of fighting seems to be MT, BJJ and Judo anyway), and we all do BJJ now because it's loving rad (and I've got a real job so getting punched in the face is low down on my list of acceptable risks these days).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sometimes I wonder how many workable things are hidden in traditional arts that have lost all context to their stuff because they don't fight people any more. I mean, apparently MMA peeps are finding uses for stuff like wide traditional karate stances and taekwondo high kicks nowadays? I'm pretty sure people used to look at those and go "no way no how would those actually work, the rules are just set up to favour them".

I'm kinda hoping MMA becomes a thing in China and the Shaolin monks get really into it, tbh.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Siivola posted:

I'm kinda hoping MMA becomes a thing in China and the Shaolin monks get really into it, tbh.

From what I understand (which isn't much) the Chinese aren't really interested in MMA because they already have sanshou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

mewse posted:

From what I understand (which isn't much) the Chinese aren't really interested in MMA because they already have sanshou.

Looks like they're getting into kick boxing though which is a step toward the rest of us.

• Locked thread