Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

It seems like the NDP just needs to find something real to being angry about.

They already have that, it's called throwing out probably their only chance to form government ever to appease loving Vancouver tech startups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh wait, you mean something to be angry about that isn't the colossal failure they brought upon themselves.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i know nothing about canpol but i just saw the video so i'm popping in to die of laughter that this is even a Thing

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Aliquid posted:

i know nothing about canpol but i just saw the video so i'm popping in to die of laughter that this is even a Thing

In a way it's kind of comforting that our scandals are this benign.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah frankly this makes Trudeau even more endearing to my violent american eyes

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Still a bunch of pages back but I gotta say this is the funniest CanPol has been in awhile.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Reminder that we are selling war machines to a kingdom with the same law code and ideology as ISIS. Our scandals are not benign, we are just so proud of our own cultivated sense of national impotence that we pretend the horrible things we do as a country are too small to matter in the grand scheme of things.

We're Canada! Don't hold us responsible for anything we do, we are polite and have healthcare. Our government is so benign that the pm bumping someone is the worst scandal possible!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Reminder that we are selling war machines to a kingdom with the same law code and ideology as ISIS. Our scandals are not benign, we are just so proud of our own cultivated sense of national impotence that we pretend the horrible things we do as a country are too small to matter in the grand scheme of things.

We're Canada! Don't hold us responsible for anything we do, we are polite and have healthcare. Our government is so benign that the pm bumping someone is the worst scandal possible!

Besides, we're so insignificant that if we didn't do bad things someone else just would instead. Therefore our scandals aren't really scandals, they're just the way the world works.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

don't you loving even try this, oh my god, how can you sous vide fish with a straight face?

no u r

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there is no ethical canadian under capitalism

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Saskatchewan Government Dubs Climate Change ‘Misguided Dogma’ in Throne Speech

The throne speech, delivered by Lieutenant Governor Vaughn Solomon Schofield, pointed to “oil and gas, coal and uranium, livestock and grains” as allegedly victimized sectors.

“They look at those jobs like they are somehow harming the country and the world,” she read. “To those people, my government has a message. You are wrong. You could not be more wrong.”

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

THC posted:

The throne speech, delivered by Lieutenant Governor Vaughn Solomon Schofield, pointed to “oil and gas, coal and uranium, livestock and grains” as allegedly victimized sectors.

“They look at those jobs like they are somehow harming the country and the world,” she read. “To those people, my government has a message. You are wrong. You could not be more wrong.”

Manitoba's new slogan "Marginally better than Saskatchewan"

Also lmao at the dude in the comments "As a scientist, I deny these claims that climate change is cause by humans" what kind of self respecting scientist hangs out and loving comments on desmog.ca posts

Helsing posted:

It speaks volumes when more people in the nation know more about an accidental elbow bump and a bearded mans grandstanding than the sale of Canadian products for use in torturing people.

Also when the US implments single-payer healthcare in 8 years it's going to put our lovely bloated system to shame.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 20, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Henceforth only to be referred to as Sasketucky.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Aliquid posted:

there is no ethical canadian under capitalism

This whole discussion reminds me of Canada's recent history with the domestic asbestos industry. In defiance of science and common sense Canada never banned asbestos domestically or to export, all to protect a paltry number of jobs at an unprofitable mine that went out of business in 2012 only because the government finally stopped bailing it out. There's no lower limit on the amount of money or jobs for which Canadian governments will ethically compromise to protect. This Saudi arms deal where there's potentially hundreds of jobs on the line must be such a no-brainer for Dion and everyone else involved, like of course they'll approve it.

edit: The same principle is why it's so clear that Canadians will only ever pay lip-service to doing something about climate change until the rest of the world forces us to do something. Canadians will pay actual money to support actual asbestos mines, there's no way even marginally profitable oilsands production will ever stop.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 20, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

THC posted:

I loving hate my province.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Monaghan posted:

I loving hate my province.

Instead of burning oil, we should burn saskatchewan

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Good idea. It's for the greater good.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Given the state of the Canadian boreal forest, just wait a few years.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Henceforth only to be referred to as Sasketucky.

Seconded.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
CanPol Megathread: I loving hate my province.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
CanPol Megathread: You are wrong. You could not be more wrong.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

We're working on that

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Just want to get back to something Helsing was going on earlier in the thread about the whole trans-rights-as-wedge-distraction thing. This article articulates pretty well how I feel about the current state of social justice as it pertains to the left, the country and the future (albeit the article comes from an American perspective). A few sections I've posted below:

quote:

The future that I envision amounts, depending on your perspective, to either a betrayal of the liberal dream or its completion. In this future, the traditional foundations of liberalism in economic justice and redistribution are amputated from the push for diversity in terms of race, gender, sexual identity, and related issues. Our elite institutions such as exclusive universities, large corporations, and political bodies come to recognize that the dearth of diversity within their halls makes the lie of meritocracy too obvious. It’s not difficult, after all, to look at the Fortune 500 companies and note the great paucity of women and people of color in the executive ranks. This lack of diversity is clear on its face. This is an embarrassment to these institutions, and helps to demonstrate that the great American story of equal opportunity and the self-made man is a myth. This obvious injustice prompts scrutiny, criticism, complaint, even while these institutions have demonstrated their ability to resist reform.

In the future I imagine, these elites essentially “get smart” about their lack of diversity. They endeavor to make their institutions more diverse, not out of any principled attachment to the moral case for diversity, but out of a self-protective need, an understanding that they have to get more diverse in order to preserve the status quo. They thus set about to achieve superficial diversity within their ranks. They probably won’t ever achieve true proportional representation, but will improve sufficiently to quell much of the criticism they’ve engendered. Note that this doesn’t require conspiracy or coordination; it could simply happen over time through the increasing prevalence of diversity discussions in our national conversation, as the savvier among our elite classes realize that they can’t ignore these criticisms forever.

[It’s essential to say that this new diversity still represents a terribly bad deal for most people of color, women, and other marginalized groups. The entire purpose of the elite-building mechanisms of our country is to keep that elite small. There’s only room for 1% of people within the 1%, after all. So even if we achieve perfectly proportional racial and gender representation in our elite strata, we’re still talking about only a tiny percentage of these groups enjoying the fruits of their elite status. But those at the top in our country will still point to the diversity within their institutions and insist that this shows that anyone can get ahead in the United States. The social defense of our system will thus be strengthened, despite the fact that this greater diversity will do nothing to address the received advantage and chance that play a large role in ascending to the top. This increasing superficial diversity accelerates an already-existing trend: the tendency of elites to espouse cultural and social liberalism detached from their foundations in economic justice.

[...]

The point is not that those culture war questions are unimportant, but that by treating them as cultural issues, our system pulls them up from their roots in economic foundations and turns them into yet another set of linguistic, symbolic problems. My argument, fundamentally, is that we face a future where strategic superficial diversity among our wealthy elites will only deepen the distraction Millman is describing. Such a future would be disastrous for most women and most people of color, but to many, would represent victory against racism and sexism.

[...]

In recent years, however, the liberal imagination has become far less preoccupied with economic issues. Real-world activism retains its focus on economic outcomes, but the media that must function as an incubator of ideas, in any healthy political movement, has grown less and less interested in economic questions as such. Liberal publications devote far less ink, virtual or physical, to core issues of redistribution and worker power than they once did. Follow prominent liberals on Twitter, browse through the world of social justice Tumblr, read socially and culturally liberal websites. You might go weeks without reading the word “union.” Economic issues just aren’t central to the political conceptions of many younger liberals; they devote endless hours to decoding the feminism of Rihanna but display little interest in, say, a guaranteed minimum income or nationalizing the banks. Indeed, the mining of pop cultural minutia for minimally-plausible political content has become such a singular obsession within liberal media that it sometimes appears to be crowding out all over considerations.

More disturbingly, it’s become common for economic justice issues to be posed as a distraction from feminist and anti-racist practices. In debates about reparations, for example, arguments that similar positive impacts on black Americans could be achieved through broader redistributive programs are frequently represented as an “All Lives Matter”-style derailing, a failure to “center” fighting racism specifically as the central cause of 21st century liberalism. The ugly Hillary Clinton – Bernie Sanders primary race has devolved, at least within the liberal media, into a stark economics-vs-identity fight, with Clinton’s supporters dismissing the economic reforms of Sanders as a “white dude thing.” The Clinton campaign has deliberately stoked this divide, making broad waves to vague cultural liberalism – having Clinton meet with the stars of Comedy Central’s Broad City, for example, or clumsily using Millennial slang – while undermining the actual substance of economic equality, such as in Clinton’s attacks on single payer health care systems and universal free college. For the long-term health of a functioning political coalition, this is catastrophic, suicidal. But it serves the Clinton political machine, and it suits the needs of Clinton’s many backers within the economic elite. And the most consistent argument you hear for Clinton’s candidacy – that a woman president is such a symbolically important victory that representation outweighs substance – is itself the triumph of representational thinking over mass thinking.

[...]

But I cannot stress enough to you how vulnerable the case for economic justice is in this country right now. Elites agitate against it constantly, and they do so even if they like the right music, watch the right TV shows, and change their Facebook profile picture to support gay marriage. It is not a coincidence that these issues have come to a head so directly in the Clinton campaign. She is a creature of the 1%, an impossibly wealthy woman who earns millions from Wall Street and who protects their interests. The attempt to quiet calls for shared prosperity through appeals to the increasing diversity of the fabulously wealthy did not arise from nowhere. This is a movement, coordinated from above, and its intent is to solidify the already-vast control of economic elites over our political system.

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 20, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm really late on this, but as I've written a couple times -- and Helsing might agree with this -- there's certainly cause to be dismayed that today's left is in a position where the only tolerable move is to accept a bundle of social justice and economic injustice, or risk being fraudulently accused of, as you wrote, being in "opposition to progress for marginalized groups" or acting as a sort of spoiler. I read Helsing as an identical but inverted version of your own argument: while you accuse him of being in opposition (or, more generously, insensitive) to marginalized social groups, he accuses you of being insensitive to marginalized economic groups. I say you're both falling for the obvious wedge that capital is trying to drive between the two of you -- inviting the half of leftism that is no threat to business while browbeating the rest as racist, misogynistic, homophobic or simply insensitive to the problems of those identitarian groups.

While it true that, as you said, it's possible to care about more than one issue at a time, as you've probably noticed during the last provincial election in Quebec, it's not possible to focus on more than one issue at a time, and which issue is on focus is not only an important driver of narrative, policy and popular concern, it's also a legitimate argument that can be had within the left. It's perfectly acceptable to argue over the degree of focus that social equality and economic equality each ought to enjoy within the left's imagination, but in my view it's completely unacceptable to reach the conclusion that the leftist stance ought to be social equality and economic inequality, a position that the economically-minded left is consistently browbeaten for. Try flipping the package around and imagining how you'd react to a platform of economic equality and social inequality. Would you allow people to slander your concern for the rights of minorities as opposition to the needs of starving kids?

Given that Pinterest Mom tends to talk about "the left" like it's an alien species or foreign country, and given that when he does opine on economics he tends to have thoroughly centrist and establishment opinions on fiscal and monetary policy, Keynesianisn, and economic ideology in general, I think we're just operating in different mental universes.

In particular, his whole attitude of "get with the program or be left in the dust bin of history" is so far removed from my perception of things it makes me think there's not much common ground to be found. I see the end of the culture wars over sexuality and personal freedom as more of a demographic and pop cultural phenomenon rather than some great triumph the left or liberalism. It seems as though the trade off for people not caring about who you marry is that they also don't care if you starve in the gutter. That to me isn't real progress, especially because I have a strong suspicion that the moment our status as a middle income country is threatened the vast majority of these cultural gains will evaporate and we'll have demagogues appealing to our fear of the other in order to gain power.

It would be comforting to think that deep down we actually agree but dastardly capital has driven this cultural wedge between us but I'm not really sure that's the case any longer. What we're seeing right now is the very rapid ascendancy of sexually progressive politics and yet it's coinciding with the re-emerge of something approximating fascism. Liberals (and I count Pinterest Mom here as an ideological liberal, even though in the Canadian context he doesn't support the Liberal party) are celebrating "peace in our times" at the very moment that it seems like their entire house of cards is trembling on the edge of collapse.

A somewhat younger and more naive version of myself long held to the faith that other people involved with the NDP shared a burning sense of anger at the raw economic injustice of our times. I now recognize this as a form of stupidity that I cultivated because it gave me more hope for the immediate future. Increasingly I'm feeling forced to conclude that there are no short term prospects for the revival of the left, not least of all because even self stated progressives, whatever else they might claim, view poverty as an essentially man made phenomenon and not a political choice that our society makes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

sitchensis posted:

Just want to get back to something Helsing was going on earlier in the thread about the whole trans-rights-as-wedge-distraction thing. This article articulates pretty well how I feel about the current state of social justice as it pertains to the left, the country and the future (albeit the article comes from an American perspective). A few sections I've posted below:

That's a good read. I'd add to the last part you bolded that elites agitate against and fight economic equality not just regardless of their pop-culture associations, but also regardless of the color of their skin, what's between their legs and who they like to gently caress. If anything the early 21st century might teach the left two back-to-back lessons: that black men as well as women are perfectly inclined to govern exactly the same way as do old white men, and that we shouldn't put much stock into trickle-down theories of identitarian equality, where by some fantastical workings, all women, LGBT and PoC will derive some sort of benefit when rich, powerful and influential members of their group emerge and reach parity with their white male cohorts.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 20, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I actually think there is some value in having leaders who are more representative of the population, at least up to a point. People ought to feel that their government represents them and have leaders who share the demographic profile of the population is one way to do that. To me the real take away is that in the absence of leftist institutions or organizations any cultural gains are shallow and easily lost.

People are anxious about the future but Canada is still basically a prosperous and functional country so it's easy for our society to be outwardly tolerant. But that tolerance is largely skin deep and driven by herd behaviour at the moment. People have become progressive because culturally influential people and institutions have signalled that a right thinking 21st century person should be socially progressive. If economic conditions persistently worsen we'll see demagogues appearing who will identify out groups, and quite likely many of those outgroups will be traditionally subaltern groups including people with alternative sexual lifestyles. Without any institutional basis the left won't be able to resist this and as a result many people who currently espouse socially progressive ideas will simply switch back to social conservatism.

The idea you can sustain a meaningfully tolerant and pluralist culture during times of economic upheaval and in the midst of the oligarchic take over of society is foolish. We can afford to be tolerant right now but once the economic system looks shaky our society's real leaders, the wealthy, will do whatever they must to deflect blame and anger. We're already seeing hints of this with the Bloc, but if you want to really know how it's going to get just look at the US or Europe where pseudo-fascist groups are already on the rise.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
See, Alberta does good things for Confederation!

You're welcome.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

basically nikki ashton phd is loving retarded

She's 33 and still finishing her Ph.D.

I guess being a MP is better than being an adjunct though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

blah_blah posted:

She's 33 and still finishing her Ph.D.

I guess being a MP is better than being an adjunct though.

Jesus Christ, what on earth is her field of study? Being a whiny idiot?

I don't give a poo poo about your gender, if you're so much of a babby that the idea of having someone brush past you rudely is worthy of a statement to the press in your mind, you need mental help, or to toughen the gently caress up.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
When I think of CI I kinda just think of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db4VGbK3vws

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, what on earth is her field of study? Being a whiny idiot?

I don't give a poo poo about your gender, if you're so much of a babby that the idea of having someone brush past you rudely is worthy of a statement to the press in your mind, you need mental help, or to toughen the gently caress up.

Yeah brah, definitely need to toughen the gently caress up broseph. BTW PT6A, just curious, what's your max bench/squat/deads if you're such a tough guy yourself?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There's mountain man tough and there's being able to take an incidental nudge without exclaiming "oweee" and having to dash off to the panic room to compose yourself.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I find this discussion of Ashton's trauma extremely traumatising.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

P-Value Hack posted:

Yeah brah, definitely need to toughen the gently caress up broseph...

Ashton needs to be scoped through a gendered lens and shot with some thirty ought six.

Then Mulcair, then Fatty McNepotism... all the way down the line.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's been entertaining (if depressing) seeing poor and massively debt-laden women viciously arguing for pay equality for female CEOs and movie stars.

Helsing posted:

I see the end of the culture wars over sexuality and personal freedom as more of a demographic and pop cultural phenomenon rather than some great triumph the left or liberalism. It seems as though the trade off for people not caring about who you marry is that they also don't care if you starve in the gutter. That to me isn't real progress, especially because I have a strong suspicion that the moment our status as a middle income country is threatened the vast majority of these cultural gains will evaporate and we'll have demagogues appealing to our fear of the other in order to gain power.

North America is rather diverse, I don't think it's a grand surprise that come the age of ubiquitous Internet that groups are consolidating better and having their voices become better heard. It took exceptional people and grand social movements to pull this off in the past, but the sheer ease of finding and contacting others like you today has changed the game.

I'd also point to countries like Afghanistan and Iran as examples to illustrate how suddenly a seemingly socially equal and modern society can transform.

What is really striking to me is how many people are able to recite various "progressive" ideas and slogans without exhibiting any real underlying critical thought. It's a façade. The message has been packaged so effectively and successfully that it's able to be disseminated and employed whenever heuristically appropriate, no matter how actually appropriate it is. We saw a very clear example of that a couple days ago with Ashton's criticism of Trudeau. You have a man, and a woman. The man drives his elbow against the chest of a woman. Therefore, man is assaulting woman. Therefore, misogyny, and a threat to women's safety in Parliament.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The prime minister assaulted the opposition whip which, in and of itself, could make a lot of people (esp. women) uncomfortable.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

Trudeau assaulted the opposition whip, an act which would make a lot of people especially women feel uncomfortable in and of itself.

says the canpol jenny kwan defender

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Maybe I just need to nut up and accept the fact that physically larger people deserve to get their way, even in a setting like Parliament. Right lads?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Or just stop being disingenuous :shrug:

These decisions are so hard to make when u r a retard

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Maybe you should learn how the criminal code works and what's missing from your supposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Won't anyone think about our parliament?!?