Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lomzus posted:

New actors confirmed for Thor Ragnarok.

Cate Blanchett as Hela
Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster
Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
Karl Urban as Skurge

http://marvel.com/news/movies/26203/marvel_studios_confirms_stellar_new_cast_members_of_the_highly_anticipated_thor_ragnarok#ixzz49DkA8xap

That cast is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

lomzus posted:

New actors confirmed for Thor Ragnarok.

Cate Blanchett as Hela
Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster
Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
Karl Urban as Skurge

http://marvel.com/news/movies/26203/marvel_studios_confirms_stellar_new_cast_members_of_the_highly_anticipated_thor_ragnarok#ixzz49DkA8xap

Holy poo poo everything about this is perfect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up again, but what the hell. Looks like Michael Keaton is back in the running for Spider-Man Homecoming.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spider-man-michael-keaton-villain-1201770783/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So with Skurge, that pretty much means we'll get the Enchantress in Thor too.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Karl Urban joins Mads Mikkelsen on my list of "people who should definitely be in Marvel movies, are cast in Marvel movies, but as the wrong characters and will now never get the parts they should have gotten."

(Ghost Rider and Doom, in cast it wasn't already super-obvious.)

Mads is playing an evil wizard, though. With Doom unavailable to the MCU, that's probably as close as we're gonna get.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Crossposting from the CineD thread, but just was reading up about Hela.

I don't know much about the comics side of Asgard/cosmic Marvel stuff, but according to Wikipedia Hela is the "Goddess of Death". Could this be Marvel's way of creating a personification for Death for Thanos to fall in love with without having to pull that out of nowhere in Avengers 3? Folding Death into Hela to make it more palatable for general audiences?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

So with Skurge, that pretty much means we'll get the Enchantress in Thor too.

You'd think they would have announced her with this. Also no Leah, but that would be a fairly minor part.

Man, Goldblum as Grandmaster is like the best thing. I hope Not Infinity War has him and the Collector hanging out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up again, but what the hell. Looks like Michael Keaton is back in the running for Spider-Man Homecoming.

To me he could be a great Norman Osborn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Birdman Vulture confirmed.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Glancing at a list of Spidey villains, it's funny how many of them are animal-themed compared to other heroes. It's like his villains wanted to match his whole spider aesthetic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

Glancing at a list of Spidey villains, it's funny how many of them are animal-themed compared to other heroes. It's like his villains wanted to match his whole spider aesthetic.

This was actually made a literal plot point for a bit when JMS was doing the totem stuff. Spider-Man's villains were people who instinctively responded to Spider-Man's own thing but ended up being pale imitations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Electromax posted:

This falls into the category of "dumb bit of trivia that comics fans noted that then became Officially Canon, and in the doing ruined it". Basically the same thing as Batman and Superman's Moms having the same first name.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if we're going to see Karl Urban standing alone at Gjallerbru.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know much about the comics side of Asgard/cosmic Marvel stuff, but according to Wikipedia Hela is the "Goddess of Death". Could this be Marvel's way of creating a personification for Death for Thanos to fall in love with without having to pull that out of nowhere in Avengers 3? Folding Death into Hela to make it more palatable for general audiences?
The MCU's been leaning very heavily on the Advanced Aliens side of the Aliens/Gods spectrum, so I'd guess not.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

This falls into the category of "dumb bit of trivia that comics fans noted that then became Officially Canon, and in the doing ruined it". Basically the same thing as Batman and Superman's Moms having the same first name.

See also: David Bruce Banner

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

This would make a hell of a lot more sense than the grim reaper suddenly showing up and also she has enormous tits.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

This was actually made a literal plot point for a bit when JMS was doing the totem stuff. Spider-Man's villains were people who instinctively responded to Spider-Man's own thing but ended up being pale imitations.

Has JMS ever written anything good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Civil War should be passing the billion dollar barrier tonight, and could possibly make it over Deadpool's total domestic gross this weekend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

The original Spider Totem stuff was actually good. It was intentionally phrased as something that might be true but even if it was it wasn't really relevant to the character and he defeats Morlun by taking advantage of his radioactivity, not his spider magic. Like the thing I mentioned is kind of gilding-the-lily but it's a one-line thing in the story.

Edit: Also "Peter Parker becomes a teacher" remains the best status quo for that character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Silver Surfer: Requiem is loving great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Civil War should be passing the billion dollar barrier tonight, and could possibly make it over Deadpool's total domestic gross this weekend.

Wasn't it predicted to do that days ago? Did it drop off?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
JMS wrote a good Spider-Man, but not really good Spider-Man stories. The dialogue, humour, and characterisation was good, but the actual ploting (all the mystical stuff) ranged from bad to meh.

e: Although those were all dropped along with JRJR.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 20, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I've started thinking of Homecoming as Rick and Morty:the movie and now I'm much more excited

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I've started thinking of Homecoming as Rick and Morty:the movie and now I'm much more excited

... I really can't find any flaw in this comparison.

"Aw geez, Tony, I don't know." "Peter, Peter, they're criminals Peter, they're criminals and they need to die." "Die?!" "Be arrested, whatever, Peter. *brraaaaap*" "Are you drunk again, Tony?" "That's my secret, Peter, I'm ALWAYS drunk."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

Real Ghostbusters and Babylon 5.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

He wrote some good episodes of the Ghostbusters cartoon. Rising Stars was good for a little while. Same with Supreme Power. But he gave us Spider Totems and Sins Past which are right there with Chapter One as the absolutely dog poo poo worst of Spider-Man so that cancels out anything good he did. Also he wrote that godawful Superman walks across America story and Superman Earth One. So yeah he's pretty bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spider totems are fine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

The MCU's been leaning very heavily on the Advanced Aliens side of the Aliens/Gods spectrum, so I'd guess not.

Yeah, but wasn't that mostly Perlmutter?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Spider totems are fine.

Yeah, Spider Totems get too much flack. There are bad Spider-Totem stories but there are also good ones, not only by JMS but other authors too. They're a goofy minor plot point that gets brought up when it's convenient for a plot which is about on-par with any of the other random bit of Spider-Errata and they actually make sense if in a bit too much of a pat-and-neat way. The full extent of it is kinda poorly done but even The Other was used well with Scarlet Spider so it's a case of finding the right slot for it.

Admittedly Scarlet Spider was basically them going "you know, we got a lot of ideas people hate here, why don't we find a way to make them work?' and doing it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn't it predicted to do that days ago? Did it drop off?

Which one? Over a billion in ticket sales? No, it's performing to ticket sales expectations as a Captain America movie. As an Avengers movie, it's performing under what would be expected, which is what tripped analysts up. Some thought it'd overperform for a Captain America movie to the level of Avengers, but that didn't happen. Either way, it's right on track for what it should be. Daily ticket sales are about on par with the same expected week-to-week drop as what happened with Winter Soldier. Either way, if past is precedent and CW does what a Cap movie should it's got at least 100 million more in ticket sales left (Winter Soldier had a first weekend ticket sales of 95 million to a 260 million total domestic, CW had a first weekend ticket sales of 180 million to, if the same multiplier holds, a 480ish domestic. That seems super high, but even at a more reasonable figure like 430 million or something it should exceed Deadpool's crazy overperformance of 360 million domestic this weekend.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CapnAndy posted:

I also kind of see hela as ruler of the dead realm of Asgard, and not the personification of death in the universe. So more like Hades than Death.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, that's exactly how Hela is portrayed in the comics, down to Mephisto literally deeding her land in Hell in exchange for a zombie harem.

Man, typing all those words in sequence made me realize how much of a weird fucker Mephisto actually is.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

No, it's performing to ticket sales expectations as a Captain America movie. As an Avengers movie, it's performing under what would be expected, which is what tripped analysts up. Some thought it'd overperform for a Captain America movie to the level of Avengers, but that didn't happen.

This seems weird to me. The movie is literally Avengers 2.5 which is very readily apparent from all the marketing. Who decides to see Avengers 1 and 2 but skips Civil War because "nah, I'm only into that Avengers series"?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cocks Cable posted:

This seems weird to me. The movie is literally Avengers 2.5 which is very readily apparent from all the marketing. Who decides to see Avengers 1 and 2 but skips Civil War because "nah, I'm only into that Avengers series"?

From what CW shows, a whole hell of a lot of people. Branding is still really strong.

Also, it could've easily been called Avengers: Civil War (or just "Civil War"), but Disney specifically titled it "Captain America: Civil War". If I were to guess this was to adjust shareholder expectations for the film, so it's expected to do "Captain America" money and not "Avengers" money, on top of ensuring that the Avengers brand is strong enough so when IW comes out it'll be perceived as the Must-See Event that they'll be hyping it up as.

The irony is most of this is hand-wringing over minutia. Civil War is still on track to possibly get to AoU numbers anyways, which means it'll end up pulling down Avengers total box office regardless of the Captain America name or not. But either way, Disney's definitively "won"; Civil War is a Captain America movie that has thoroughly beaten BvS in the box office and still has a ton of life left in it, that will cross the very crucial billion dollar threshold.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like JMS' Thor a lot even if it has no proper ending to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I've been watching the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie for the first time in about 10 years. I have the DVD, and it begins with a "Not for Rental" warning message and "Coming Soon On Video and DVD" trailers, which you don't see so much nowadays. (According to these trailers, the films coming soon include In America, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and Runaway Jury.)

The movie itself... I'm not sure how to describe it. I loved this movie when I was a kid, and I suppose to some extent it's campy enough for me still to enjoy even if it's not very good. Sean Connery is good fun to watch (and it's a shame this was his last film). You've got Tony Curran, who's a good actor, but he just doesn't have enough to do as the Invisible Man. I think Stuart Townsend as Dorian Grey doesn't work - he plays him so slimy from his very first scene that the big twist that he's the traitor doesn't really work. It just feels too obvious that he's a bad guy. I don't think Richard Roxburgh hammed it up enough as Moriarty.

I wonder where the "Edwardian war-profiteer villains want to start the First World War a decade early" plot originated? It shows up here, and it's Moriarty's plot again in the second Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie (which I recall enjoying a lot more than this one).

It feels very of its time - I think there's a distinct style and aesthetic to genre movies of this type in the early 2000s, which you can also see in the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and even Hellboy to a certain extent. I'm not really sure how to describe it, or identify where it started; probably just part of the continuum running back to Batman '89 (which also encompassed Dick Tracy, Darkman, The Rocketeer The Shadow, The Phantom) by way of the first two X-Men movies, which by this point had long since run out of steam.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, that's exactly how Hela is portrayed in the comics, down to Mephisto literally deeding her land in Hell in exchange for a zombie harem.

Man, typing all those words in sequence made me realize how much of a weird fucker Mephisto actually is.

How about the time he went on a date with Magma from the New Mutants?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Spider Totems get too much flack. There are bad Spider-Totem stories but there are also good ones, not only by JMS but other authors too. They're a goofy minor plot point that gets brought up when it's convenient for a plot which is about on-par with any of the other random bit of Spider-Errata and they actually make sense if in a bit too much of a pat-and-neat way. The full extent of it is kinda poorly done but even The Other was used well with Scarlet Spider so it's a case of finding the right slot for it.

Admittedly Scarlet Spider was basically them going "you know, we got a lot of ideas people hate here, why don't we find a way to make them work?' and doing it.

I am the guy who likes the other.

Also JMS is my favorite ASM run.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

...(and it's a shame this was his last film)...

Not quite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20oRLJ4v4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

J-Law might be willing to come back to X-Men after Apocalypse.

This could be viewed in one of two ways: Her trying to shake down the studio for better terms on a contract renegotiation, or her trying to cushion the blow when she leaves. If she's being candid - and she's unusually honest, especially comparison to the rest of her acting colleagues - then McAvoy, Fassbender, and her could all be exiting the film at the same time. If the three leads on a film series (and its three main draws) all leave it simultaneously, it's gonna be real interesting to see how Singer pivots with 7.

On the other hand, a limited deal renegotiation - and you can guaran-loving-tee that all three of them will sign back on to picture-to-picture contracts - might mean we'll end up with a movie that should've been ostensibly a Jean Grey showcase instead devolving into Mystique inheriting the Phoenix Force as Magneto and Xavier quarrel over the ethics of using her as a weapon or some poo poo.

I dunno. This could all be political Kabuki, it might not be, and I oscillate between whether or not it's a good creative idea to even keep all three onboard the series.

• Locked thread