Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wrong thread

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's gonna be even funnier a year from now, post it again then please.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I know peoplt will jump on this as a wild conspiracy theory. But is it possible there has been some agreement between various parties that ensures Woolwich must finish above Spurs each season. It does seem quite bizaar that 2 clubs of similar size and stature forever finish up in the same order. There is no comparison between other major rivals in football. Liverpool/Everton, Utd /City, Real/atletico. The list is endless. But most intriguing are the circumstances that seem to unfold season after season. Lasagnagate, the players go down with food poisoning in the last day. We lose Woolwich win. A few years later we get Fulopgate. We need to better there result. Inexplicably Roy Dodgson hands Martin Fulop his first appearance of the season. He then proceeds to effectively throw three in the net as Woolwich squeak through 3-2. A couple of years later we face Sunderland at home while they go to Newcastle. Again we need to better their result. Every decision goes against us until news filters through that Woolwich have scored. Bale scores a screamer at the end but its to no avail. Yesterday, as it starts to look like we could get the result we need, the referee gives the most shocking penalty decision of the season and our fate is sealed once again. Of course it may just be bad luck and Spursy. But in some ways that seems even more outlandish than it being somehow fixed against us. I'm the last person to be fooled by wild conspiracy theories, but somehow this don't sit right with me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THREAD TO PUT THIS IN

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

blue footed boobie posted:

wrong thread

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Needs Leicester on one of the sunbeds

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

definitely wrong thread

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Totteringham day thread obviously what's wrong with you

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

https://twitter.com/smfhjosh/status/731911897474179072

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

its good

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

this guy owns

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The wrongest thread.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36310845

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5fiUx6DOA

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsSoccer/status/732604697077514240

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

These people have somehow acquired a fanbase that probably should be mocked a lot more

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
How long until there's a Men in Blazers double IPA

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

How long until there's a Men in Blazers double IPA

Somewhere in Portland, a brewery is probably doing just that

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I want whoever decided that was something the world needed to die a painful death

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

widmer bros tiMIBerrrrrrrr! upper 90 pale ale

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dex_sda posted:

I want whoever decided that was something the world needed to die a painful death

There's also a Chevy ad that's been running a lot on the NBC Sports app where people describe their feelings about the Chevy Cruze using only emojis. That smug asswipe they have hosting those little focus groups sucks so bad.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

There's also a Chevy ad that's been running a lot on the NBC Sports app where people describe their feelings about the Chevy Cruze using only emojis. That smug asswipe they have hosting those little focus groups sucks so bad.

"Brands" trying to "market" to "millennials" by using "emojis" will never be anything but "loving terrible".

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/UNIBETAustralia/status/732674673465397249

click the tweet itself for gifs for every spot

e; or better yet, don't

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't understand what any of those emojis mean and I'm glad.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Lmao

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

lMao

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The problem I see is this. Ramsey nor any of our other Midfielders bar Cazorla are great deep lying playmakers. They do not distribute the ball from deep well. Ramsey can switch a flank, spot a good through ball in the final third, and most importantly find space where there was none, but none of that is good if his responsibility is to distribute the ball from deep. That is his issue with his current partners El Neny, and Coquelin. Coq is getting better, but the speed at which Santi can distibute the ball accurately is insane (same with Arteta) and actually the reason why we fail at possesion when they are not around.

What Wenger has been doing is using a double safety situation in the mid field to mimic possesion. Coq and Elneny do not lose the ball, and can clean up very well. So this "seems" like the same "possession" we had before but instead it is very safe, and much slower. What they do better is they can interchange with full backs much much better than Santi or Arteta, which is why our play is much wider now, the initial ball will most likely go

Kos--->Elneny/Coq---->Bellerin Monreal Or they will pass it between eachother until ozil comes deeper. It is safe, but slow, meaning less space in the final third.

I am unsure if Xhaka can distribute well, but we will see.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

What Wenger has been doing is using a double safety situation in the mid field to mimic possesion. Coq and Elneny do not lose the ball, and can clean up very well. So this "seems" like the same "possession" we had before but instead it is very safe, and much slower. What they do better is they can interchange with full backs much much better than Santi or Arteta, which is why our play is much wider now, the initial ball will most likely go
this is unreal

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The problem I see is this. Ramsey nor any of our other Midfielders bar Cazorla are great deep lying playmakers. They do not distribute the ball from deep well. Ramsey can switch a flank, spot a good through ball in the final third, and most importantly find space where there was none, but none of that is good if his responsibility is to distribute the ball from deep. That is his issue with his current partners El Neny, and Coquelin. Coq is getting better, but the speed at which Santi can distibute the ball accurately is insane (same with Arteta) and actually the reason why we fail at possesion when they are not around.

Kos--->Elneny/Coq---->Bellerin Monreal Or they will pass it between eachother until ozil comes deeper. It is safe, but slow, meaning less space in the final third.

I am unsure if Xhaka can distribute well, but we will see.

Rename me El Neny tia

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

dex_sda posted:

It was probably the same person that thought this was a good idea.

https://twitter.com/liam_ridgewell/status/732330846846246917?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2016/05/portland_timbers_fans_say_timb.html#incart_big-photo

quote:

Nicky Wiesenfeld spends every Portland Timbers match standing in the north end of Providence Park, excitedly chanting along with the rest of the Timbers Army.

But there is one chant that Wiesenfeld never sings.

When the capos raise their arms and lead the crowd in a rendition of "Portland Boys, We are Here," Wiesenfeld and many other fans stay quiet, unwilling to say the verse, "Shag your women, drink your beer!"

"It's a chant about pillaging the other team's town and it uses women to talk about that," Wiesenfeld said. "Obviously, it's an exaggeration, but I think when you have 5,000 people singing 'shag your women' and you're equating women to objects, it is really dangerous and it's offensive."

The Timbers Army adopted the chant long before the Timbers made the move to MLS in 2011. "Portland Boys" is based on similar chants that have been used by English Premier League teams, including Tottenham and Chelsea, and versions of the chant have been embraced by other MLS teams, including the Seattle Sounders.

The "shag your women" verse has caused controversy within the Timbers Army for years.

107ist board member Lexi Stern said that debates over the chant have come up at least once a year for the last seven to eight years. Still, the Timbers Army has yet to take any official action or make any changes to the chant.

The TA lists the lyrics to the chant on their website, though in the online version the word "steal" is used in place of "shag." Wiesenfeld said "shag" is what people say when singing the chant at Providence Park, though she doesn't think "steal" would be any better.

Wiesenfeld recently wrote an op-ed on the Timbers Army website, calling for the TA to change the chant.

In her piece, Wiesenfeld questioned how an organization that prides itself on being inclusive and creating a positive environment for people of all backgrounds can continue to sing a chant that is offensive to a large portion of its members:

The TA prides itself on championing women in the sport and showing respect for all supporters. Yet we still sing a verse that encourages our fans to "shag your women," every match. We continue to gleefully chant a line that is mildly threatening, heteronormative, and divisive at best. How can we expect other clubs to respect female fans if the TA – the most influential supporters group in North America – continues condoning and reciting a chant that reduces women to objects to be shagged, possessions to be conquered, "babes" to be ogled?

Wiesenfeld has seen a wide range of responses since she posted her piece on April 15.

Some members of the Timbers Army have argued that it is clear that the chant is not meant to be taken seriously. The chant also has a line that says, "burn, destroy, wreck and kill," which clearly aren't sentiments that the Timbers Army literally condones.

Others have argued that fans shouldn't be trying to censor chants that the group has rallied around. The TA has a long tradition of singing "Portland Boys" at every Timbers match.

Still, there are also plenty of other fans that want to see the verse changed.

Timbers Army member Holly Duthie said that the verse comes off as threatening and objectifying. Duthie said that enough people have stood up and said the chant makes them feel uncomfortable throughout the years and it should be clear that it is time to make a change.

"To me, the lyric says women are equal to beer, both spoils of war to be enjoyed by the invading hordes," Duthie said.

Timbers Army member Faolana McMullin said that she would be fine if the TA decided to keep the chant, as long as they simply changed the lyric and removed the word "your."

"Outside of that particular phrase, it's one of my favorite chants," McMullin said. "I appreciate traditions and I respect them and I want there to always be an appreciation for the Timbers and Timbers Army, but I don't think having the word 'your' in that chant is imperative to do that."

Despite a large response to her piece, Wiesenfeld said that she has yet to hear anything from the 107ist Board of Directors or the capos that lead chants at Providence Park about making changes to "Portland Boys."

She said she was "surprised" and "disappointed" to not get a response from the 107ist Board, but plans to continue pushing for a change to the chant.

"I want to keep the dialog going," Wiesenfeld said. "There are a significant number of people that don't feel comfortable singing that chant, don't want their kids to be involved with it and don't want to be a part of it at all."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

disband this club and do it now

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

few things in american soccer are a more active impediment to the sport's popularity than these godawful supporters groups

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How do you pronounce 107ist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

what the crud....