Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Got and immediately broke.

I thought that was standard procedure for zrx ownership though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mcqueen posted:

You got a zrx?

Yeah, in August or September. Put 7000 on it so far and I'm in love.

Slavvy posted:

Got and immediately broke.

Not immediately! :argh:

Tuesday my cheap Chinese knockoff radiator comes. And my cheap Chinese glow-in-the-dark radiator hoses should be in in two weeks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Eagerly awaiting the post about having to modify the radiator :v:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

PaintVagrant posted:

Where do you live? I'd like to have a house to properly echo my eBay slip on parallel twin farts off of

Sydney, Australia. Don't bother though, we already seem to have plenty of people with baby Ninjas and damage to the auditory centres of their brains.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Eagerly awaiting the post about having to modify the radiator :v:

You only have to re-solder all of the ports every once in a while! :suicide101:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sydney, Australia.

I'm so sorry.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If I want people to recommend me some riding roads, which is the best thread to ask?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
MY DUCATI's stock pipes are louder than the full race system on my old RSV Mille. They're not damagingly loud, but I have literally no idea how they're legal. Wouldn't have them any other way though, the burble on overrun and little pop when you do a quick shift are just pure sex.

Also, and this is the most Italian thing ever, it opens the exhaust valve at idle to make it louder when you're sitting at lights/outside the artisan coffee shop.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Nitrox posted:

If I want people to recommend me some riding roads, which is the best thread to ask?

Once you've tried it's easy to find potential good roads on Google maps or similar. Look for roads that has to work against nature, ie up a valley, over a mountain pass, along a coastline where there is limited space due to hills. For me interesting roads is squiggly roads on maps. Some of the best roads I've found is old local roads in hilly regions where the traffic is light enough that they never straightened the old roads between the farms, so you get undulating roads that follows the landscape. Pure loving bliss.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nitrox posted:

If you can find a regional thread for the area you are in then I would ask there. Aren't you an Angelino? We have a Socal thread.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you don't ironically have muffler mike on all your bikes, I feel bad for you son

I bought the stickers but haven't put them on any bikes, yet :saddowns:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Razzled posted:

for those of us with bikes that aren't poo poo heaps, having them look and sound nice is pretty cool

Funny coincidence, when my old junk exhaust rusted through it sounded just like the expensive titanium whatever system people jack off to on youtube.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slim Pickens posted:

If you don't ironically have muffler mike on all your bikes, I feel bad for you son

I wish I had a leather jacket that could be improved with patches.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Chichevache posted:

If you can find a regional thread for the area you are in then I would ask there. Aren't you an Angelino? We have a Socal thread.
I'm in Philadelphia, there is no regional thread as far as I'm aware :(

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I like http://www.motorcycleroads.com

It uses google maps and overlays it with routes that people like to ride, you click the route and it offers a review and has comments where other riders can weigh in.
One thing to note, the colors of the routes don't mean anything, they're just there to differentiate listings.

e: second thing to note: the map can only display a limited number of routes on it, so zoom in (to say, Philly) if you're looking for a specific area as it might not show a route there until you're right on top of it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
This is the absolute ideal exhaust note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Yj_znqsCo

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

I am human garbage and love the rowdy burbling and popping the chode pipe on my sv has.

You and me both. If only it were 30 loving decibels quieter. Hell I'd settle for 10, and thats still probably illegal.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

tranten posted:

I like http://www.motorcycleroads.com

It uses google maps and overlays it with routes that people like to ride, you click the route and it offers a review and has comments where other riders can weigh in.
One thing to note, the colors of the routes don't mean anything, they're just there to differentiate listings.

e: second thing to note: the map can only display a limited number of routes on it, so zoom in (to say, Philly) if you're looking for a specific area as it might not show a route there until you're right on top of it.
Oooh, that's really good. I immediately found a few park/forest loops that I've no idea existed. Thank you. Is there a way to preset a route on google maps and follow gps guidance? Instead of, you know, destination based directions.

Looking forward to Sunday :D
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/881/Routes/Tabernacle,-NJ-Loop.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

Correct.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Is it actually that quiet without an exhaust? Why even bother putting a muffler on it then, that exhaust note is :perfect:

Just add a short pipe to point it down towards the ground and go ride.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dog Case posted:

:lol: it's good to know that in 60 years that exhaust note hasn't changed a bit.

PaintVagrant posted:

How dare you, this is cycle asylum, a place for stock exhausts
I popped one of these on my CB750 and had to have the poo poo-eating grin surgically removed from my face.
http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_251_142_88&products_id=670

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Slim Pickens posted:

Didn't someone make CA ATGATT stickers from Muffler Mike?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MoraleHazard posted:

Someone made an image, but I don't think any stickers ever got made.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Someone made an image, but I don't think any stickers ever got made.

I put y'all in touch with a vinyl cutter guy a while back, but they've since gone out of business.
I thought we had ordered a bunch :shrug:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox posted:

I'm in Philadelphia, there is no regional thread as far as I'm aware :(

I'm a little north of Philly. Don't know if there are any others in the area here but I'd meet up for a ride sometime.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would love to put all those stickers on my bike, except I don't want any stickers on my bike. What to do, what to do

opengl128 posted:

I'm a little north of Philly. Don't know if there are any others in the area here but I'd meet up for a ride sometime.
We're going to cruise around this spot on Sunday, weather permitting http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/881/Routes/Tabernacle,-NJ-Loop.html
We're mostly middle age guys on cruisers, so the pacing will be slow fyi

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 20, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I would love to put all those stickers on my bike, except I don't want any stickers on my bike. What to do, what to do
Put them on your helmet, or luggage if you have any.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have a semi urgent problem with the ex250. This morning when I started it it sounds slightly louder like one or the two cylinders has a "putta putta putta" and when I'm riding it is a pronounced sound. Not loud, but like twice as loud as the other. When I roll off the throttle at 6-7k with my head down near the tank, I can hear very soft pops, but no backfires.
-It starts and idles fine
-Maybe slightly less power, but that could be in my head
-Oil pressure is fine, as is coolant
-I know when I did the valves a couple thousand back they were set to the loose end,and I am sure I tightened all the bolts properly
-I did not use new spark plugs or crush washers, but lightly tightened them back in

Could I just have a pinhole in one of the headers? Am I that lucky? I have to continue on to Buffalo NY now, but will take it easy and check back.

Ugh this is the discussion thread sorry. Help me please anyway

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

We're going to cruise around this spot on Sunday, weather permitting http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/881/Routes/Tabernacle,-NJ-Loop.html
We're mostly middle age guys on cruisers, so the pacing will be slow fyi

nooooooooooo that's such an amazing dirt ride you could be doing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Coydog posted:

Could I just have a pinhole in one of the headers? Am I that lucky? I have to continue on to Buffalo NY now, but will take it easy and check back.

Sounds like an exhaust leak yeah. Maybe a pinhole, more likely it's leaking past the gasket. Feel around it with your hand, should be pretty obvious. e: so it doesn't look like I'm tricking you to burn your hand, the old "lick a finger and gauge the breeze"-thing should work.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

We started vectorizing the design and everything, but then I found a dude on eBay that was already making them for basically the same price we'd be spending per unit. If you still want one, here ya go.

Oops, I forgot about the redesign someone made. Here's the original design ebay link, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MUFFLER-MIKE-VINTAGE-AMA-MOTORCYCLE-VINYL-DECAL-/262430270557?hash=item3d1a10245d:g:RqsAAOSwhMpT0Czc&vxp=mtr

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Ola posted:

A useful hint if you think making your motorcycle sound better will make you appear cooler. The only people that care about how your bike sounds are people who are looking to buy the same system for the same bike so it can sound better so they can be cool. Nobody else gives a single poo poo, unless it's very loud in which case everyone thinks you're an rear end in a top hat. Hope this helps.

Sorry grandpa, some of us do it because we actually enjoy the noise and feel that it enhances the experience, not to look cool. Most of us aren't 20 anymore.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a musician, but the thing that emotionally connects me to a vehicle more than anything is how it sounds.

Not a musician, but this is how I feel too.

A MIRACLE posted:

I still can't tell if I want to trade the FZ or start putting money into making it better. Exhaust and tune would be the first because it sounds like a really fancy scooter right now.

I promise you that if you throw some noise on that bike you will fall in love.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 20, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slim Pickens posted:

We started vectorizing the design and everything, but then I found a dude on eBay that was already making them for basically the same price we'd be spending per unit. If you still want one, here ya go.

Oops, I forgot about the redesign someone made. Here's the original design ebay link, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MUFFLER-MIKE-VINTAGE-AMA-MOTORCYCLE-VINYL-DECAL-/262430270557?hash=item3d1a10245d:g:RqsAAOSwhMpT0Czc&vxp=mtr

Yeah, I got that one. But I remember someone reworked it to have the guy wearing a helmet and some of the text was changed to ATTGATT and CA etc.

edit: Here it is.

FluffyDice posted:

So this is a thing.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 20, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Sorry grandpa, some of us do it because we actually enjoy the noise and feel that it enhances the experience, not to look cool. Most of us aren't 20 anymore.

Pish! That whole automotive audiophile argument sounds quite flat when we know that the second most popular bike mod, runner up to the dumb pipe, is the tail tidy. Something which does nothing for the rider's experience, if not worsen it. Couple this with how common ear plug use is and the answer is plain to hear. You're perennial teens and you all care massively what people think of you and when you scream away from the lights, you think that they think you are cool. Well, they don't.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When I had a loud pipe, traffic would pull over and let me go by so they didn't have to listen to me.

That was pretty cool.

I miss it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Here's the exhaust I run on my Duke, now the cat means that the sound isn't as raw as it could be: even though the volume's just right it sounds a bit muffled if that makes sense. Nice thing though is that it's pretty quiet puttering around and only really gets loud at high revs. Also, it cost $15 to make and the clamp is a Buell part.

Also I hate how ugly the header pipe has gotten after only two years, why won't manufacturers splurge for actual stainless instead of almost-stainless.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

Pish! That whole automotive audiophile argument sounds quite flat when we know that the second most popular bike mod, runner up to the dumb pipe, is the tail tidy. Something which does nothing for the rider's experience, if not worsen it. Couple this with how common ear plug use is and the answer is plain to hear. You're perennial teens and you all care massively what people think of you and when you scream away from the lights, you think that they think you are cool. Well, they don't.

While I agree with you that loud exhaust is an overall negative in motorcycles, I think you've completely missed the point of a tail tidy. How can you not have an improved riding experience when your license plate isn't visible?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Sounds like an exhaust leak yeah. Maybe a pinhole, more likely it's leaking past the gasket. Feel around it with your hand, should be pretty obvious. e: so it doesn't look like I'm tricking you to burn your hand, the old "lick a finger and gauge the breeze"-thing should work.

Thank you! It turns out it was a header leak. There are a couple shims in there that spat out when the bolts rattled loose. A nice shop near Buffalo pulled some ratty shims off their parts bin ex250 and am going to get back on the road only 50 dollars lighter.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ola posted:

What's wrong with wanting your bike to look cool again?

Vanity is automotive anything's #1 MO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Spending a week driving around while I wait for my radiator has been miserable. Every time this happens I'm reminded how much more I like riding than driving. Once you've started riding, driving a car feels like having sex with a condom on; you don't feel anything. :sigh: