Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Texibus posted:

I'm team ruti too.

Don't want to accuse you of being a sock puppet account, but your username is almost an anagram of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'll happily jump on those are poor beliefs to hold. But I think Rutibex also gets poo poo on a lot for just his taste in cardboard, which is whatever.

CaptainRightful posted:

Don't want to accuse you of being a sock puppet account, but your username is almost an anagram of his.

Why I don't doubt that dudes dedication, that's some deep cover poo poo to pull.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 20, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Texibus posted:

Why I don't doubt that dudes dedication, that's some deep cover poo poo to pull.

Yeah, I just thought it was a funny coincidence.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Rutibex is a crap poster for reasons entirely separate from what flavor of cardboard he likes.

Hey, uhh, I was disagreeing with him, just to be clear. I was attempting to imply that the rampant sexualization of women in geekdom (in art and in real life) is wrong and injurious.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

homullus posted:

Hey, uhh, I was disagreeing with him, just to be clear. I was attempting to imply that the rampant sexualization of women in geekdom (in art and in real life) is wrong and injurious.

Oh yeah, I know. Should have clarified, I was including your post as a context to his reply (the next quote down). We're good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gutter Owl posted:

Rutibex is a crap poster for reasons entirely separate from what flavor of cardboard he likes.

I knew there was a reason that my hackles rise every time someone talks about Rutibex, but I forgot about that awful shitstorm.

Thanks for reminding me.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Don't let Rutibex's casual misogyny put you off -- he is also casually white supremacist! I've had him on my ignore list for a couple of years since he told me in a PM regarding Archipelago that some cultures are better than others, and if misrepresented/underrepresented/marginalized cultures want better representation, maybe they should take notes from better (i.e., white) cultures.

He's garbage for so many reasons besides his garbage taste in board games.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

jmzero posted:

Mandatory Quests were a terrible design decision (Lords of Waterdeep). Even if you accept that political BS is a good way to balance or "make games closer" (it absolutely isn't! how about just make your game enjoyable to play even if you're not winning?), Mandatory Quests are a terrible implementation. They provide no benefit for the person playing them; drawing a Mandatory Quest and playing it screws you out of a card and an action. So if you're well behind, the card reads "well, you're even more screwed now because this card won't help you - but now you get to kingmake at least...". They're like a Blue Shell in Mario - a random turd that parachutes in to decide that the person in second place should win instead of the person in first (and, meanwhile, the guy in 6th is now even further ahead of you because he got a mushroom - but yay random spite!). If you're going to have that kind of boringly random anti-climax, potentially invalidating good play and decision making, why not just do it directly (like in Killer Bunnies)? If the fragile turds you're playing with can't stomach playing if they don't think they can win, just have everyone roll a handful of dice and add it to their score at the end.

Second, they affect the game by reducing decision space. Again, even if you want political crap, do it by giving other people more options, not taking away options from someone. They have cards like this already - stuff like, choose a player, you both gain X. There, there's your bloody stupid political catchup mechanism (because, clearly, nobody will give X to the leader), and you did it without Munchkin-stalling your endgame. Or let the person make a decision at least - like, "this quest is worth -10 VP if it's not finished".

I only have one play under my belt, so my opinion is fairly liquid. I won the game by a single point, and I played 1-2 Mandatory quests on my closest opponent. I gave him quests that he could complete immediately, denying him the fighters he needed for a larger quest while I snatched the two ways to make fighters on the board that round. I effectively set him back an entire round, and gave myself some time to gather resources myself at the expense of spotting him 2 VP. I didn't see it as a blue shell; I saw it as a banana peel.

If I were behind for a substantial amount of points, then I agree that playing the Mandatory quests are wastes of Intrigue actions. However, I felt that they were worth keeping around in the game. I will note that I played a 3P game, and for whatever reason, we didn't play a lot of Mandatory Quests or Attacks. If this were a 5P game and 3 Mandatory Quests get thrown on a player at a time, I'm sure my tune could change.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gutter Owl posted:

I knew he had posted poo poo like this, but couldn't remember the exact quotes and memory made them seem less horrible than they actually were.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Eugh yeah that stuff is pretty bad

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Speaking of Rutibex's views on race: I have Mombasa coming to me in the mail today. Does this game play well with two, and did people like it? I know Heavy Cardboard liked the game when they reviewed it - has it held up?

Notes on Cuba Libre: More hay should be made about the brilliance of the action-taking mechanism in this game. Just playing through it solo I've found that just choosing to take an action is as fun and tense as any Caylus or Agricola-esque euro, but with the addued computational effort of "do I strengthen my own position or weaken someone else's if I can't do both?"

For my group I'm going to deliberately de-emphasize the negotiation parts of it because I think that will make us like the game less. I hope that doesn't hose the Syndicate too much.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clockwork Gadget posted:

he told me in a PM regarding Archipelago that some cultures are better than others, and if misrepresented/underrepresented/marginalized cultures want better representation, maybe they should take notes from better (i.e., white) cultures.

:eyepop:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

This came up while we were talking about Archipelago and the problem of colonialism and representation of race in games, I believe.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like to think Rutibex is TG's Cosmo Kramer or some other crazy person

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry, I'm a very bad man :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I heard that when Rutibex plays Archipelago he has the song Civilization (also known as Bingo, Bango, Bongo) on loop in the background.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

They fiddle with chits, but that's what I do all year rounnnndddd

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I have no problem saying that the values of political freedom, capitalism, individualism, democracy, scientific inquiry, rationalism, and open debate, values that define what western culture is, make it a BETTER culture than a culture that for example kills gays or treats women like second class citizens, etc. Am I a bad person too? :(

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I dunno Rutibex, you should be flattered that you inspire so much conversation and butthurt from shitposting about cardboard paintings and wooden cubes. Definitely the thread celebrity if there was one. I think I just dislike how much you poo poo on my beloved Caverna but to each their own.

In other news, tried out Middle Kingdom and Scarab Lords with the GF the other night. Middle Kingdom was kind of a flop and I cannot recommend it 2p unless I was totally loving up the rules somewhere along the line, which considering my reading comprehension skills is entirely possible. Scarab Lords on the other hand was more fun, and I could probably describe it as Kemet meets Lost Cities the card game, but it's not nearly as good as the former and it's way nerdier than the latter. Still, it wasn't bad and I'd be interested in trying some repeated playthroughs and since I nabbed both for five bucks I don't feel especially put out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Present posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I have no problem saying that the values of political freedom, capitalism, individualism, democracy, scientific inquiry, rationalism, and open debate, values that define what western culture is, make it a BETTER culture than a culture that for example kills gays or treats women like second class citizens, etc. Am I a bad person too? :(

I just think you're being more than a little generous

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Magnetic North posted:

Today, I finally noticed it's spelled Rutibex, not Rubitex ... :downs:

:aaaaa:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Present posted:

Yeah I'm glad that western culture doesn't treat women like second class citizens, nothing in the news about that recently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Present posted:

This really isn't the place for this kind of discussion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, political poo poo goes to the Paradox thread

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Present posted:

Well, most board games are themed on European culture before most of those values came to dominate western culture. So, your opinion is certainly better than colonial/medieval/imperial white cultures get more board games because they clearly superior to the cultures they crushed or took advantage of.

EDIT: to move this back to actual board games, has anyone looked into Sol:Last days of a star? I'm on the border between backing its kickstarter.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

They fiddle with chits, but that's what I do all year rounnnndddd

:golfclap:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Since we're talking about comic book games: I got a hard rec for Sentinels of the Multiverse at a recent game night. Is it any good?

(My group just got into Star Realms. It's like playing combo Magic over and over and over and over.)

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Texibus posted:

I don't Tom Vassel is super Christian, while Ruti only worships value per lb.

For real though what's up with like, a ton of the prominent board game review type personalities being super Christian? Or am I just projecting based on the disproportionately high representation from all the Dice Tower dudes.

Zurui posted:

Since we're talking about comic book games: I got a hard rec for Sentinels of the Multiverse at a recent game night. Is it any good?

(My group just got into Star Realms. It's like playing combo Magic over and over and over and over.)

Good god no. It's the fiddliest, most tedious, choice-free game. It just drags and drags and none of the cards interact with each other in meaningful or interesting ways. Check out the app on mobile or Steam if you need confirmation of this. If you want a good co-op deckbuilder, I would recommend Legendary Encounters in a heartbeat over SotM. Or if you want a good constructed deck co-op card game, check out the Lord of The Rings LCG. Or if you want to chuck some dice cooperatively with cards, try the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game.

dropkickpikachu fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 20, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://twitter.com/DungeonsDonald

The Trump D&D joke twitter is pretty funny.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Would games like Evolution and Epic Spell Wars be better with drafting mechanics? I know that ESW is pretty random bullshit but maybe if you could try to plan some combo in advance instead of just taking off the top of the deck it might be okay? I feel kinda the same way about Evolution but it isn't as bad a game (or a bad game at all, just not as interesting to play for me as I feel it could be).

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Impermanent posted:

Yeah I'm glad that western culture doesn't treat women like second class citizens, nothing in the news about that recently.

Don't know what was in the news, but in Saudi Arabia women are legally prohibited from driving and can't leave their homes without a male member of their family accompanying them everywhere. Was it kind of like that?

golden bubble posted:

Well, most board games are themed on European culture before most of those values came to dominate western culture. So, your opinion is certainly better than colonial/medieval/imperial white cultures get more board games because they clearly superior to the cultures they crushed or took advantage of.

Colonial/medieval/imperial white cultures get more board games because those events/eras are more relatable and familiar to the markets that these games are made for. Everyone in the west knows who Columbus and Napoleon and Alexander the Great are so it's already more interesting to play games about those famous historical events/people/eras for your average bored western person. The market dictates, and the game companies step up to fill the demand. Once the Indonesian/Ethiopian/etc people are at a level where they have enough spending money, board game companies will appear and will make content tailored to them.

Same thing with titty miniatures. For every Helen Lovejoy "Think of the children" critic there's a dozen greasy nerds buying up these miniatures, so they keep getting made/sold. Money talks. There's a miniatures game called Infinity and when they launched there was a lot of T&A in their model range. The buy-in of gross nerds helped them get higher initial sales. Now that they are more established they are dialing back on it.

On a side note, there's a line of thinking that says the values of western culture were the reason why the western world came to dominate the rest of the world. That the combination of all these western values, when applied to waging war, was particularly devastating, and that other cultures could not, in the long run, stop the west from kicking their rear end.

That could be a cool board game actually. You got Imperial China, Catholic Europe, Islamic World, Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, etc, all vying for domination of the world by growing their respective cultural traits. I'd play that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Present posted:

That could be a cool board game actually. You got Imperial China, Catholic Europe, Islamic World, Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, etc, all vying for domination of the world by growing their respective cultural traits. I'd play that.

I'm pretty sure they have made lots of games about that, one is even on BGG top ten:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182028/through-ages-new-story-civilization

Edit:
You could play Spore: The board game, just play these in order:
Evolution
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155703/evolution

Neanderthal
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171662/neanderthal

Stone Age
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34635/stone-age

Civilization
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77130/sid-meiers-civilization-board-game

Twilight Imperium
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-third-edition

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 20, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, the cultural bullshit in games like Puerto Rico and Archipelago turns me off 110%.

I had a feeling about Sentinels. Glad I asked.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Present posted:

Don't know what was in the news, but in Saudi Arabia women are legally prohibited from driving and can't leave their homes without a male member of their family accompanying them everywhere. Was it kind of like that?

playing the comparison game of "women in saudi arabia can't drive, we treat women great" is how western female disempowerment is able to stay alive. We still pay women 70 cents on a man's dollar, don't test their rape kits, and are the place where sex tourists come from.

Your line about the values of western culture being responsible for its ability to kick rear end reveals that you don't really care about the moral integrity of the culture you champion. Are we better than the saudi arabia because women can drive in the u.s., or are we worse than other cultures because of the many genocides and coloniallly-fueled slaughtering of native cultures?

No one complaining about titty miniatures does so because we're worried about the children near nerds seeing a butt. If I knew someone who owned kingdom death I would be afraid of them being near children, but for different reasons. You can sell poo poo and make money temporarily by making minis like that but you poison the well by making the hobby a worse place for women. Did that line of logic escape you somehow? It's not about how much money they make, it's about what the presence of that line of minis does to the image of the hobby as a whole, and how welcoming or unwelcoming it is. Holy gently caress, who do you think actually believes children will wind up seeing a kingdom death mini by accident?

And newsflash: "etc" people are already at a point where we have spending money to buy board games. I'm filipino and I spend too much goddamn time and money on this hobby for dipshits like you to act like I gotta wait my turn until the industry reflects what I want.

Look, part of me thinks that this conversation shouldn't be being had here, but the board game thread is the only place on this site where issues about board games are talked about, and practically the only place on the internet where they're talked about well (with the exception of the heavy cardboard podcast and SU&SD, maybe a smattering of youtubers.) Your eurocentric patriarchal bullshit will get tolerated anywhere but here, so maybe go to boardgamegeek and start commenting on how much you want to gently caress other dudes' wives instead of posting inane crap about the inevitability of western empire and other antiquated historical notions we moved away from in the 1900s.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yea dude

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I enjoy space alert, dungeon lords, eminent domain, mage knight, galaxy trucker, and codenames. There are many others that I enjoy but those ones jumped to the forefront of my brainspace. What board games do you guys think of first when someone asks?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I am The Fury posted:

I enjoy space alert, dungeon lords, eminent domain, mage knight, galaxy trucker, and codenames. There are many others that I enjoy but those ones jumped to the forefront of my brainspace. What board games do you guys think of first when someone asks?

Campaign for North Africa

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Present posted:

Colonial/medieval/imperial white cultures get more board games because those events/eras are more relatable and familiar to the markets that these games are made for. Everyone in the west knows who Columbus and Napoleon and Alexander the Great are so it's already more interesting to play games about those famous historical events/people/eras for your average bored western person. The market dictates, and the game companies step up to fill the demand. Once the Indonesian/Ethiopian/etc people are at a level where they have enough spending money, board game companies will appear and will make content tailored to them.

Same thing with titty miniatures. For every Helen Lovejoy "Think of the children" critic there's a dozen greasy nerds buying up these miniatures, so they keep getting made/sold. Money talks. There's a miniatures game called Infinity and when they launched there was a lot of T&A in their model range. The buy-in of gross nerds helped them get higher initial sales. Now that they are more established they are dialing back on it.

On a side note, there's a line of thinking that says the values of western culture were the reason why the western world came to dominate the rest of the world. That the combination of all these western values, when applied to waging war, was particularly devastating, and that other cultures could not, in the long run, stop the west from kicking their rear end.

Oh my god I'm so close now explain anthropological justifications for eurocentric racism

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

I am The Fury posted:

Off the top of my head you're missing DungeonPetz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I am The Fury posted:

there is a theme there and the theme is vlaada

dungeon petz and new through the ages