Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

They aren't? Oops. My mistake.

A bunch was probably a strong word. Maybe it's just me but I found Doctor Fate dreadfully uninteresting and really dislike the writing in Batgirl and Black Canary. L&C has been fine if boring (the Jurgens special) and I feel similarly about Hellblazer. Darkseid War kind of gone the way of a deflating balloon, too. Maybe the finale will liven it up but it was billed as this epic clash between AM and Darkseid and has turned into this weird Grail story and boy could I not give a poo poo about Grail.

There's also a few on that list I haven't read but you were presenting it like some high quality stuff being pumped out en masse and there's definitely some room for disagreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That quoted statement is inarguable, though.

e: Anyway, I'm agreeing. Good riddance, you steaming pile!
Could not be worse.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 19, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That quoted statement is inarguable, though.

Vagueness is a strong defense mechanism, I'll admit.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yes what a horrible era we've been living in recently. I know I buy every issue of American Alien, Martian Manhunter, Midnighter, Omega Men, Grayson, Batman, Lois and Clark, Gotham Academy, Darkseid War, Batgirl, Black Canary, Robin, Doctor Fate, Batman/TMNT, Hellblazer (and probably a couple more fine comics I enjoy but can't recall ATM) and just puke and puke at the awfulness.
I got three pages into Future Quest and had to throw it right in the garbage.

I'm glad you're loving all of DCs books now.

Outside of a small number of DC books, I've been much happier with other publishers books.

It's okay we feel differently about that.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Future Quest was great alone for letting me know that the 90's Jonny Quest show where they go inside the internet is now on DVD

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goldenoreos posted:

Future Quest was great alone for letting me know that the 90's Jonny Quest show where they go inside the internet is now on DVD

Your nostalgia is not going to match the actual show, I warn you. :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. It's got me thinking of buying some of those Warner Archive sets.
I'm sure they've clamped up Youtube for HB content. Usually you can find full episodes of old defunct cartoons, but knowing next to nothing about the Herculoids, all I could find was the show intro and an ad for their DVDs.

e: Speakin' of..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5NTqwlmWxU

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 20, 2016

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

ImpAtom posted:

Your nostalgia is not going to match the actual show, I warn you. :smith:

Oh I know it's garbage. I just want to see that bad internet CGI again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

goldenoreos posted:

Oh I know it's garbage. I just want to see that bad internet CGI again.

It will never ever beat the Spiderman cartoon when it comes to bad CGI.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yes what a horrible era we've been living in recently. I know I buy every issue of American Alien, Martian Manhunter, Midnighter, Omega Men, Grayson, Batman, Lois and Clark, Gotham Academy, Darkseid War, Batgirl, Black Canary, Robin, Doctor Fate, Batman/TMNT, Hellblazer (and probably a couple more fine comics I enjoy but can't recall ATM) and just puke and puke at the awfulness.

The problem with the list - regardless if you like them or not - is that many of them sell dreadfully. Omega Men sells 8k, Doctor Fate does 9k, Martian Manhunter 9k, Black Canary 14k. Whatever comes next, it probably won't be many books in this vein, especially since they have less spots in Rebirth in the first place and a ton of them are already set up for Batman and more Batman. It's similar with Marvel's off-beat books, but they seem in better health than DC's (but then Marvel sells far better than DC in general currently)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unless that post was all about sales, which I didn't take it for, that's pretty meaningless (e: for me and my perception of their output, that is. Luckily I'm not a WB accountant.) None of them were cancelled or anything*

My favorite Marvel books sell like crap too. As long company doesn't seem discouraged by their placement enough to zap them early and lets them have their runs, I can't care too much. It'd be fun to see Vision and Moon Girl up the top, but eh.

e: I'm not saying Rebirth will be worse than DCYou or anything. With Tom King breaking out, I'm sure they wont be against trying new writers (look at the workshop folks getting Suicide Squad jobs already.) I am more worried that stalwarts and safe choices will rule the art side, but with Young Animal and especially Kamandi Challenge there's obviously still a place for really niche projects. I think I'll be happy.

*I know, I know. Technically, everything's cancelled.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 20, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. It's got me thinking of buying some of those Warner Archive sets.
I'm sure they've clamped up Youtube for HB content. Usually you can find full episodes of old defunct cartoons, but knowing next to nothing about the Herculoids, all I could find was the show intro and an ad for their DVDs.

e: Speakin' of..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5NTqwlmWxU

Is Harvey Birdman still a practicing attorney?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
No and it's for that reason why I had trouble taking him seriously in Future Quest. I'll eventually need a primer for most of the other shows though. Herculoids and birdman I remember from the original Toonami, but the other ones (aside from quest and space ghost) don't look familiar to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One missed opportunity I saw to modernise the properties a little would've been to include Race's daughter from the 90's version of Jonny Quest. I suppose I'm no better than Parker in the sense that I want the version I have nostalgia for, but I don't think including a girl in the group would've hurt anything, and I don't think he's averse to adding new characters for diversity, as I don't believe Birdman's colleague was from the cartoon.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
He was on the Panels podcast talking about the desire to add some diversity while fulfilling his own nostalgia, in fact.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is the best Johnny Quest related cartoon that came out of the 90's. Unfortunately I can't get the full episode anymore. drat you Youtube.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

This is the best Johnny Quest related cartoon that came out of the 90's. Unfortunately I can't get the full episode anymore. drat you Youtube.

Freakazoid was such a great show.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Codependent Poster posted:

Freakazoid was such a great show.

Who owns that IP? That would be an interesting property to explore.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Discendo Vox posted:

Who owns that IP? That would be an interesting property to explore.

It was a WB show along with Animaniacs so maybe DC could make a comic where Freakazoid gets an undercut and rips off Cosgroves arm.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So the last time I was balls-deep in DC continuity was the period between Identity Crisis up through Final Crisis. I've been pretty meh on most New 52 stuff and have only read the New52 JLA first couple of trades. What should I read to be "ready for rebirth" so to speak? Just Flashpoint? Darkseid War?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

So the last time I was balls-deep in DC continuity was the period between Identity Crisis up through Final Crisis. I've been pretty meh on most New 52 stuff and have only read the New52 JLA first couple of trades. What should I read to be "ready for rebirth" so to speak? Just Flashpoint? Darkseid War?

Forget Flashpoint. I think, do Justice League from #30, Convergence: Superman, Lois & Clark and the Rebirth Special next week.
The Superman stuff because other than new-old Superman (and the GLs, one of whom you'll meet in JL, the other is introduced in Green Lantern #0) Everyone else is the traditional role and should be coming in not too complicated. The drama will definitely be around Superman.
Maybe pick up Superman #52 to see what becomes of the N52 Superman, but that might be covered in the Rebirth Special.

Flashpoint was really just a Flash trapped in an alternate world story with the new world being made in a couple of pages as he tried to return. Not necessary.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 20, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

Forget Flashpoint. I think, do Justice League from #30, Convergence: Superman, Lois & Clark and the Rebirth Special next week.
The Superman stuff because other than new-old Superman (and the GLs, one of whom you'll meet in JL, the other is introduced in Green Lantern #0) Everyone else is the traditional roll and should be coming in not to complicated. The drama will definitely be around Superman.
Maybe pick up Superman #52 to see what becoms of the N52 Superman, but that might be covered in the Rebirth Special.

Hah, I read JLA through #29 so that's perfect, I guess.

Edit: Is Lois/Clark actually good? By which I mean, if I have no particular love or interest in Superman or his past solo books, and really only view him as the rock on which the JLA and greater DCU is built, will I like it? Is it well written/drawn on its own merits?

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 20, 2016

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Titans Hunt is also a lead-in to Rebirth. I think the only 3 things that are officially deemed as leading in to Rebirth are Lois & Clark, Titans Hunt, and the Final Days of Superman crossover that is currently running across all 4 Superman titles.

Really, if I were you, I'd just pick up the Rebirth #1 next week and a few of the Rebirth issues of whatever characters interest you. If those catch you enough that you want to keep going, you can always double back and read this other stuff. I'm sure they're doing everything possible to make sure that Rebirth #1 has everything you'd need as a new reader since it's meant to be the biggest jumping-on point in years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah that's really dependant on what characters you give a poo poo about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sure did enjoy Titans Hunt #8 cock teasing the original Wally West.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just saw some giant spoilers for Rebirth on Twitter. So be careful where you look.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

and what you post!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah don't post any of that stuff here. Because what I saw was pretty huge.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So uh..Titans hunt was based on Stephen King's IT right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Avoiding Bleedingcool will probably be good for me anyway :)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is there somewhere we can talk about Rebirth or do we need to wait?

Because I'm staring at this spoiler and I don't even know what to think.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Avoiding Bleedingcool will probably be good for me anyway :)

When they find out it's going to be up immediately I guarantee you. Because it's going to g a toooooon of hits.

Dexie posted:

Is there somewhere we can talk about Rebirth or do we need to wait?

Because I'm staring at this spoiler and I don't even know what to think.

People's heads are going to explode. Both in good and bad ways.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

X-O posted:

People's heads are going to explode. Both in good and bad ways.

I'm a huge DC apologist and even I can't see the 'good ways' in this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a thread now, go there and keep it out of here.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Man, that sucks. I'm going to try so hard to avoid anything from Rebirth, SM #52 or JL #50. My LCS isn't doing a midnight opening or anything but they're letting all the regulars read our books as soon as the shipment comes in on Tuesday.

4 more days :ohdear:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ugh. I'm gonna go visit North Korea for the next five days.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I finally wen't over the DC books comming out.

Only real interests are Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Whatever Morrison has in the works and Maybe Snyder's Batman.

Yeah...What has to happen for someone at WB to realize Lee and Didio kind of suck at their jobs?

Edit: And even with Harley Quinn. I wanted to like Conner and Palmiotti's Harley, and I did until I read Brian Posehn's Deadpool. I then realized that Harley Quinn is lacking stakes, drama, and the sense that Harley is WAY in over her head. Having a freak show as a family to rally around her doesn't quite work either. Shes the girlfriend and second in command to the biggest mass murder in the DCU, the number of people that actually like her should stop with Poison Ivy, maybe Catwoman and some of the Suicide Squad.

Speaking of Ivy (Risking a big Goonsay here), I know DC has stated that Quinn and Ivy are in a on again, off again relationship. Actually show that, point blank, in the comic. Don't just tell us and make us fill in the blanks. Put up and make them a real couple.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 21, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BigRed0427 posted:

So I finally wen't over the DC books comming out.

Only real interests are Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Whatever Morrison has in the works and Maybe Snyder's Batman.

Yeah...What has to happen for someone at WB to realize Lee and Didio kind of suck at their jobs?

DC going bankrupt in like 5 years when 3 more reboots fail to work?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Eh nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of Ivy (Risking a big Goonsay here), I know DC has stated that Quinn and Ivy are in a on again, off again relationship. Actually show that, point blank, in the comic. Don't just tell us and make us fill in the blanks. Put up and make them a real couple.

DC has an Issue with gay characters, editorially speaking. I mean, Batwoman was a loving fiasco that required a soft reboot to fix, it was such a mother loving mess.