Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sounds like a good side hustle. Spray seconds quality underwear from alibabi with doe estrus and drop ship to internet losers. ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL (C).

e. a top quality post for a top page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

wasn't that a subplot in OitNB?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

buying $600 of panties wearing them once and turning around to sell them on the panty selling reddit is GWM

Wait, what? That's a thing?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

DJCobol posted:

Wait, what? That's a thing?

Going to have a talk with my girlfriend when I get home.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

wasn't that a subplot in OitNB?

It was, they couldn't keep up with demand so the friends on the outside came up with a scientific equivalent to prisonlady stank.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

The Mandingo posted:

It was, they couldn't keep up with demand so the friends on the outside came up with a scientific equivalent to prisonlady stank.

This is a real thing common amongst phone sex/cam girls

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Mandingo posted:

One of my favourite 30 rock scenes was where they were answering fan mail by wiping slices of ham on pairs of underwear and mailing it right back.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Shithead has parents cosign $160,000 in film school students loans, then fucks off to europe to leave his parents holding the bag.

http://www.vice.com/read/talking-to-american-debt-dodgers-who-moved-to-europe-to-avoid-paying-off-their-student-loans-111

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sepherothic posted:

Shithead has parents cosign $160,000 in film school students loans, then fucks off to europe to leave his parents holding the bag.

http://www.vice.com/read/talking-to-american-debt-dodgers-who-moved-to-europe-to-avoid-paying-off-their-student-loans-111

And makes them (effectively) lose their house and move back to El Salvador. Nice.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

And will never make a film, I imagine.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
How the poo poo did he even get a country in the EU to give him citizenship or a longterm work visa with no marketable skills and no assets?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress you, Mario.

Most of these stories are people with debts that aren't even that bad. 30-40k isn't too bad assuming you didn't waste your money on a lovely degree.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress you, Mario.

Most of these stories are people with debts that aren't even that bad. 30-40k isn't too bad assuming you didn't waste your money on a lovely degree.

Yeah but these are the kind of people that are fleeing to Europe and probably in clubs/restaurants every day so how could they possibly pay 30k? :rolleyes: The one girl said that having graduated with 24k debt she would have been paying it off "until at least my late 30s."

quote:

I moved to Berlin the day of my graduation... I've never paid back the federal loans. My parents didn't co-sign on them. . I don't give a poo poo about the loans in my name

Seriously, gently caress this rear end in a top hat woman, I get predatory student loans, but just taking federal money knowing you're not going to pay it off? gently caress you, you are a living strawman.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 19, 2016

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Each story is horrible in it's own special way. The woman who went to a private NYC school and doesn't regret her education, saying 'it's what she wanted', bugged me.

I left an excellent, expensive school because I didn't know what I wanted to do and I couldn't afford it. I ended up going to a CUNY in NYC because me and the Pell Grant could pay for it. It was a fine school that taught me a useful trade, but I 'deserved' a better education- I certainly wanted one. But at least I'm not an unemployed former waitress who's skipping out on paying my debts and loving over my parents.

There are definitely trade offs for not getting a 'name brand' education, but the idea of wasting the investment like she has makes me angry.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Why did they blur the dogs face?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Virigoth posted:

Don't want anything bad to happen to the dog, just their parents.

gently caress you, dad!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Virigoth posted:

Germany has very strict privacy laws

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

Obedience school loans.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

I like how one dude argued it was his civic duty not to pay the loan back. Never have a child with this man

If it's an unfair system you could argue not paying it back is a civic duty. A mass default by hundreds of thousands of borrowers would incite change, similar to HARP after the mortgage crisis. The damage of effectively removing that many people from the credit economy for life would force reform.

Granted, borrowing the money and then leaving the country kind of defeats the purpose.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 19, 2016

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I like how one dude argued it was his civic duty not to pay the loan back. Never have a child with this man

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

gently caress all of those people.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Can't we get Seal Team 6 to forcibly extract these people so that we can throw them into debtor's prison? I thought that was what my taxes were going towards.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potatoducks posted:

Can't we get Seal Team 6 to forcibly extract these people so that we can throw them into debtor's prison? I thought that was what my taxes were going towards.

Nah your personal taxes specifically go to pay the guy who reboots the f-35's every 10 minutes

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

potatoducks posted:

New Zealand has agreements with a number of countries to recover student loan debts. It's something the State Department could work on and recover a lot of money.

I also agree gently caress those people for not repaying those tiny loans. I can understand if they move to another country and end up with a poo poo paying job that doesn't provide enough to cover the interest but they could still try to strike up a deal for repayment.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, those people are lovely and irresponsible, and not just because they couldn't afford the loans after college (that's too common in the US to be attributable entirely to personal responsibility failures.) They should have stayed and then negotiated with the loan companies rather than running away from their problems. Honestly that would have been much more GWM since they probably could have gotten very significant reductions on interest or even a partial write-down on the principle.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Or the bank could just refuse to negotiate.

A friend of a friend of mine, going back almost ten years now, had heavy student loan debt and one day said gently caress it, took out as many credit cards as he could, bought tvs and sold them for cash on craiglist, then took a plane to Columbia w/ a suitcase full of money and has never come back. That's the way to go if you're gonna skip out on loans.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Debt bondage has been the most common form of slavery since the ancient Greeks. The reason why it was so prevalent was that the conception of bankruptcy generally did not exist until the 1500's (although general jubilee existed before then, but is highly nonpracticable). Without a viable system of bankruptcy long-term debts cannot viably exist because compound interest is numerically unstable (it grows exponentially).

To use a metaphor that is considerably more obscure than the referent, it's like how in artificial neural networks you can't have long-term correlations between hidden units without using gates to decide whether to keep hidden unit contents or flush them. Any system of credit assignment will work that way, because the units of credit will have numerical instability otherwise: the debts will explode (too much lending) or vanish (that is, lending will stop).

curufinor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 19, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

A friend of a friend of mine, going back almost ten years now, had heavy student loan debt and one day said gently caress it, took out as many credit cards as he could, bought tvs and sold them for cash on craiglist, then took a plane to Columbia w/ a suitcase full of money and has never come back. That's the way to go if you're gonna skip out on loans.

Assuming that you're not caught, detained and have your cash forfeited by the TSA?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also assuming you don't get kidnapped for that briefcase of American money and disappear forever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Certainly bad with money to commit a bunch of fraud in a safe, stable country and move to a country still fighting a 50 year long civil war.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mocking Bird posted:

I encourage anyone who likes kids but is discouraged at the costs to consider fostering a child who needs a loving home :shobon:
I mean secondhand children (a phrase that pained me to write) really are a thrifty alternative since they can come to you already school aged with no daycare needs, and the state provides a stipend for their care and adoption assistance if you adopt.

I just like to remind people that adoption doesn't have to be thousands upon thousands of dollars and I run into people every day who believe that they wouldn't qualify as a foster parent because they are single, male, gay, full time employed, etc. Not true at all!

While this may all be true, and there's kids that need a stable, normal household to live in, often times foster kids come with quite a bit of extra baggage. From the couple different families I know that foster, often those early years before the foster kids arrive at your home weren't the best for the kids. It can show up in difficult behaviour, or physical health problems. It's terribly important and rewarding work, but it can also be very challenging and heartbreaking. When the three little ones go home to live with mom, who just finished up rehab, and you're praying everything works out better this time around.

sorry for the derail.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

While this may all be true, and there's kids that need a stable, normal household to live in, often times foster kids come with quite a bit of extra baggage. From the couple different families I know that foster, often those early years before the foster kids arrive at your home weren't the best for the kids. It can show up in difficult behaviour, or physical health problems. It's terribly important and rewarding work, but it can also be very challenging and heartbreaking. When the three little ones go home to live with mom, who just finished up rehab, and you're praying everything works out better this time around.

sorry for the derail.

I'm a CPS social worker and a foster parent, so I get where you're coming from. Sometimes you are bringing a baby home with you from the hospital, sometimes you're coming home with an angry and traumatized teen. I personally think my angry and traumatized teen is the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's a mixed bag! Fostering isn't easy and has a lot of demands, but it's worthwhile and important (and the kids services are free, their healthcare is paid for, and they receive a stipend for expenses. Not the full cost of child rearing but it helps!)

In California you can go through training and opt to be an "adoption only" foster placement where you will only get children who are either freed for adoption or very likely to be, which can reduce some of the heartache.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cowofwar posted:

if you buy five pairs of shoes and wear each pair once a week they will last five times as long but you will get tired of them and get something new before they wear out. BWM.

Also "panties" is the dumbest, most infantile sounding word and I hate it.

I have 4 pairs of shoes. 3 of them have holes in the big toe. Still not buying another pair yet.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

When I was a kid I'd get made fun of for being poor all the time, and my shoes always had holes in them or were held together with duct tape. But one day we went on a river rafting trip and I could step in the water and have everything drain out through the holes in the bottom, while the rest of those suckers just sloshed around in their sneakers so I think I got the last laugh in the end!

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

B33rChiller posted:

While this may all be true, and there's kids that need a stable,

Keeping kids in a stable is GWM.

Keeping horses there is BWM.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

High Lord Elbow posted:

Keeping kids in a stable is GWM.

Keeping horses there is BWM.
Is there a post of the year award in our awards thread, because if so I'd like to nominate this one.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Devian666 posted:

New Zealand has agreements with a number of countries to recover student loan debts. It's something the State Department could work on and recover a lot of money.

Either that or simply invalidate the passports of anyone who is currently in default loans or has a significant amount of student loan debt.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cowofwar posted:

if you buy five pairs of shoes and wear each pair once a week they will last five times as long but you will get tired of them and get something new before they wear out. BWM.

Spoken like someone who can buy shoes "off the rack." I have giant feet, one foot is a 14.5 EEEE, the other is a 15 EE. they don't make half sizes above 13 generally so I wind up with 15 EEEE. I buy as many pairs of sneakers as I can at once and store them because shoe buying is a nightmare. Also I assume you mean simply calendar days longer, not that you get more net wears out of them, because if so I'm going to go open up my 2 backup pairs right now.

BWM: I shop at target without using their 5% off credit card and I don't do backdoor roth games.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I heard you can pay off your Target credit card with another credit card, is this true because THAT would be GWM if you use your credit card like a debit card.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NancyPants posted:

I heard you can pay off your Target credit card with another credit card, is this true because THAT would be GWM if you use your credit card like a debit card.

I believe you used to be able to do that with store lines of credit (ones only good at Macy's or what not without Visa-like spending ability.) I think I managed to do that once with like a in store promo then paid off with 0% credit card on the spot. I imagine if you paid off this one with another credit card it would come through as a cash advance and be BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Either that or simply invalidate the passports of anyone who is currently in default loans or has a significant amount of student loan debt.

Yeah that's what we need to do, make student loan debt even more special and hellacious than all other debt on the face of the planet. Restricting the personal freedom of people with student loan debt is a good road to start down.

• Locked thread