Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it was Tape Op where I read that Sufjan Stevens recorded almost all of Illinoise with an SM 57 and some fairly middling recording gear and I was just like OH gently caress YOU SUFJAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jokes on you, I never made anything back when I had very little gear and I still don't make anything now that I have tons of gear :c00lbutt:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It follows that someone would be infinitely prolific with no gear at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

It follows that someone would be infinitely prolific with no gear at all.

Making fart noises with your hands; the oldest synth of all!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your Computer posted:

Making fart noises with your hands; the oldest synth of all!
Ugh, hands are too digital. I prefer actual butt farts for maximum analogness.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ugh, hands are too digital. I prefer actual butt farts for maximum analogness.

Buttcheeks; the oldest analog filter of all!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Your Computer posted:

Buttcheeks; the oldest analog filter of all!

There's already formant filters but I really think you have something here.

edit: wait gently caress i forgot about metasonix. nevermind.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gadget chat: I bought a BigSky today and holy poo poo

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

stillvisions posted:

Speaking on creation, the podcasts at http://songexploder.net/ can be kinda illuminating - cornering an artist and asking them the process for a track. I went in ready to hear about the process and gear and it's stuff like MGMT saying "we did Time To Pretend all in Reason with slightly tweaked presets because we were broke college students" and the guy from The Postal Service saying he pretty much used the only synth/sampler he owned to do the entire thing.

I'm trying to ignore the nagging feeling that the people with only a few bits of gear sell records, and the ones with a lot sell synths to people like us.

Moog Audio is such a dangerous place. I have a gift certificate from boxing day waiting to be used and I know as soon as I pull it out I'm gonna be in the hole a few hundred bucks.

I love Song Exploder, even for the super poppy stuff. Nice call out.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah just wait until I get tenure, I'm going to crank out an album a week.

As somebody with tenure, I have to say that ain't gonna happen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

0dB posted:

As somebody with tenure, I have to say that ain't gonna happen.

God dammit I'm going into consulting.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I'm trying to ignore the nagging feeling that the people with only a few bits of gear sell records, and the ones with a lot sell synths to people like us.

Then look no further than Stephin Merrits episode, he writes in bars, stopped using synths for a while, and has a very full studio. I have the same problem as him, I hear dumb commercial jingles from my childhood all the time. His music is incredibly inspiring but I'm afraid I'll just imitate him so I don't listen to him too much. He's also a ukulele freak, and I am too.

Today I figured out how to replicate Cornelius' Beep It on my bass station II. Now I understand the sequencer better, and half the things he did to the bassline.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Or maybe do what Daft Punk did, and impose strict limitations on what you can use in a song and what you can do with the result. Limitations aren't just limited to time!

That Stravinsky quote always rang true for me: "The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one's self". I definitely find that the more gear I'm using, the less chance I'll finish whatever I'm working on.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is it possible to have too much reverb? I just picked up an Eventide Space, and already had a Hall of Fame and Hall of Fame Mini. I was torn between the Strymon Big Sky or the Eventide Space, and found the easiest way to make a decision- a local shop had the Eventide Space so I could play around with a bit.

I wanted to get something done quickly with the new pedal so I just mashed on the black keys a bunch. I ran the Mother 32 through the new pedal, I have the Bass Station 2 going through the Hall of Fame and Boss CE-5, the FB-01 with no effects, and the Volca Sample through some software effects. https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/mod13e

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Chainclaw posted:

Is it possible to have too much reverb?
No but you might want to look again at the Big Sky because of the chorale reverb algorithms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrLqLs3hDs

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Laserjet 4P posted:

No but you might want to look again at the Big Sky because of the chorale reverb algorithms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrLqLs3hDs

:catstare:

Do want.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Mutable Instruments Braids arrived in the mail and I wanted to get something recorded on it. This is the rack run through a Hall of Fame Mini, combined with the Mother-32 through the Eventide Space, and a Volca Sample for some drums.
https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/mod14b

So far I'm really liking my modular, and I'm also starting to feel like I'm hitting the point where my modular looks like a modular. I think getting the Maths in there soon, plus some crazy sequencers will be the next steps.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

That sounds excellent!

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Does anyone have recommendations for polysynths with lots of keys? I'm looking at the prophet 8 right now but I don't know if I should just screw it and buy a decent controller.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
If you need analog and 76 keys on a budget, Roland JX10. There's not much bigger than that I'm afraid. If it doesn't have to be analog and you can spare a few coins, Nord Stage EX 88 actually has a synth built in. Otherwise, you'll end up with something like a Korg Kronos or Kurzweil - both have VAs built in as well.

If that's not what you're looking for, define "polysynth".

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
FYI, I'm selling my Wiard/Malekko Anti-Osc gargoyle face. Sadly I need money and the synth is going to the chopping block first.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161624&highlight=

I'll knock $15 off for goon reasons.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you need analog and 76 keys on a budget, Roland JX10. There's not much bigger than that I'm afraid. If it doesn't have to be analog and you can spare a few coins, Nord Stage EX 88 actually has a synth built in. Otherwise, you'll end up with something like a Korg Kronos or Kurzweil - both have VAs built in as well.

If that's not what you're looking for, define "polysynth".

Actually, 61 keys is probably enough. I've been looking at too many tiny 2-3 octaves ones. The JX10 looks good but the control surface seems like a nightmare of button programming.

I guess I just wish the mopho x4 had more keys (and a sequencer that you didn't have to manually program).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Even though you said it didn't need to be analog, a Roland JD-Xa gives you 4 real analog voices and a sequencer on board :) Other VAs don't come with onboard sequencers*, but there are some workstations that come with VAs. If you're looking for a relatively simple sequencer instead of something that's basically a DAW with a smaller screen, the JD-Xa might do the job.

* A Waldorf Q has a 64-step sequencer but it's not that fun to edit, a Virus has a souped-up arpeggiator, etc.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 18, 2016

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Laserjet 4P posted:

... a Virus has a souped-up arpeggiator, etc.

Also worth mentioning that it has a fantastic keybed.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
For the 61-keys unit, absolutely.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Laserjet 4P posted:

Even though you said it didn't need to be analog, a Roland JD-Xa gives you 4 real analog voices and a sequencer on board :) Other VAs don't come with onboard sequencers*, but there are some workstations that come with VAs. If you're looking for a relatively simple sequencer instead of something that's basically a DAW with a smaller screen, the JD-Xa might do the job.

* A Waldorf Q has a 64-step sequencer but it's not that fun to edit, a Virus has a souped-up arpeggiator, etc.

The sequencer on the Xa is much better for phrasing than for whole songs since you can't chain patterns and you can't transpose.

That being said the Xa loving owns at controlling other synths with it's massive amount of control surfaces.

Oh, it's also amazing sounding once you get passed the horrible stock sounds that came with it and are on most of the demo's.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Synth meet was awesome, Berklee wheeled out their two Arps and a semi-working Steiner synthacon. Some dude brought a Schmidt which was absolutely mind blowing, gently caress everything anyone on the net has said about it. Same dude brought a Macbeth Elements which was seriously my jam.
I gotta quit going to these cause I spend most of the time poking a music easel and I don't need that kind of chunk out of my wallet.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I guess since we all bought a Mother 32, the nice folks in North Carolina decided to make some modules

https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161696

quote:

https://www.instagram.com/peff/

https://www.instagram.com/hami/

moog euro format geodesic sampler! geospatial reverb! bfam sequencer! bonus model d reissue!

Moogfest should be interesting.

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
I ordered an MS-20 mini, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm pretty new to this, so far all I've been able to get my hands on is a pocket operator and a DS-20 cart for the DS. Hoping my time working on radars and weapons solutions computers translates into a quicker understanding of modular synthesis. Going to hack an oscilloscope probe into one of my patch cables so I can watch my robot farts change shape.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
So I've been looking at the Reface CP a lot recently--do any of you have hands on with one? I'm basically looking for they keyboard equivalent of an acoustic guitar--something I can grab and jam w/ my buddies around a campfire or whatever. All the youtube demos sound great (I <3 Rhodes) and reports are that the minikeys feel pretty good (for minikeys). Any ideas on how loud it can get? Is there a better campfire-jam option that I'm overlooking?

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
If it's anything like the speaker in the Reface DX, then it's loud enough to tinker around with at home or somewhere quiet, but might be a bit useless in the open air, unless you're all sitting directly next to each other. Some cheap portable speakers might be an option.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Calus posted:

I ordered an MS-20 mini, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm pretty new to this, so far all I've been able to get my hands on is a pocket operator and a DS-20 cart for the DS. Hoping my time working on radars and weapons solutions computers translates into a quicker understanding of modular synthesis. Going to hack an oscilloscope probe into one of my patch cables so I can watch my robot farts change shape.

You might find these videos useful. I don't have any experience with the MS-20 personally but Marc's videos on the Microbrute and Minilogue were awesome and helped me get a really good understanding of the instruments and synthesis in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Noo3uoRYRc

Also that cable mode sounds dope!

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right

Sexy Randal posted:

You might find these videos useful. I don't have any experience with the MS-20 personally but Marc's videos on the Microbrute and Minilogue were awesome and helped me get a really good understanding of the instruments and synthesis in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Noo3uoRYRc

Also that cable mode sounds dope!

I was actually looking at these before I ordered it, the series is super informative, thanks! I'll post some waveforms once I get set up!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Calus posted:

https://ask.audio/articles/unraveling-the-korg-ims-20-patch-panel

That was done for the iMS-20, but it should serve you just as well.

I would also highly recommend the SQ-1 to pair with it.

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right

A Winner is Jew posted:

https://ask.audio/articles/unraveling-the-korg-ims-20-patch-panel

That was done for the iMS-20, but it should serve you just as well.

I would also highly recommend the SQ-1 to pair with it.

Great read, thanks! I have been considering an SQ-1 since they're so cheap, but I think I'm gonna get a volca beats first. Right now all I've got for drums is a goodwill toy drum pad and the drum functions on the sub pocket operator.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Get the volca sample instead since it's the better drum machine.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The MS-20 is the best drum machine. Check this site for a great PDF on making drums on the 20, make some samples to put in the volca and boom.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i am really into the idea of modules/boxes designed for making a single type of drum sound, and if i didn't have to worry about money i would have a cubic yard of warm circuits for this purpose.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

vkeios posted:

Get the volca sample instead since it's the better drum machine.

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago to accompany my Monomachine. It's pretty fun and super easy to integrate but not without its limitations, and kind of a pain to set up if you don't already have a set of samples.

Edit: While I'm posting, is there a standalone compressor that acts sort of similar to the Vinyl Sim effect on an SP-303?

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

The Sample is probably the better drum machine all things considered, but I am loving my Beats again now that I fixed the snare and got a Beatstep Pro to sequence it with (thanks, Tayter!).