Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Would Win In a Fight?
This poll is closed.
Goku 59 31.38%
Luffy 15 7.98%
Ichigo 10 5.32%
Rina, from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 104 55.32%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Srice posted:

I've found that Kirby games are easy to beat, but significantly tougher if you try to 100% them

eh, not much tougher in my experience unless you include the arena in one or two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's a good hard game
http://store.steampowered.com/app/63900/

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I like that, and I like when the ai actually plays smarter on higher difficulties. It's cool

Ai is kind of a big lie, at least in most games. What they actually do is let the ai cheat more, whether that just means increasing accuracy or letting them know where the player is beyond their normal means, or just giving them free resources, which strategy games are really fond of.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's cool when you turn down the difficulty on a shmup or a character action game you know because it gets way harder since you start dodging attacks that aren't coming and flying into patterns that are too slow and catch you off guard.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the ai doesn't cheat in fantasy wars!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I never played NetHack, but I played a lot of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I can't speak authoritatively but theres definitely way less of a strong focus on intelligent ai design since the shift from sixth to seventh gen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the halo series had fantastic ai because it was very focused on creating fun personality filled fights

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
To me the best way to do difficulty is to just give the player everything they need to beat the game at the start and optional powerups throughout the game to make it easier. That way they can self impose difficulty when they're looking for a challenge.

Examples:
Three heart runs/No sword upgrades in Zelda.
No armor/weapon upgrades in Mega Man X.
Four job fiesta in Final Fantasy V

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

The Colonel posted:

should i play shadow of chernobyl with a mod thing or should i just go vanilla

i'm saving metro 2033 for when i buy redux some day

vanilla is fine although the complete 2009 mod is really good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Angband doesn't really interest me the way Nethack does but Ang variant Sil is a really good, hard game I should play more of.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DisDisDis posted:

Angband doesn't really interest me the way Nethack does but Ang variant Sil is a really good, hard game I should play more of.

I like Tolkien, Angband is tolkien

5/5

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Sil is the most Tolkien roguelike, although it includes some not Tolkien enemies. It's possible to beat the way the story it's based off goes (human character, total stealth, steal the sil off morgoth's crown) but I can barely get past 400' with an elf

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i don't play shooters because I've never been able to aim worth a drat with a stick or mouse

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The most tolkien roguelike would mean there's an elf reciting a poem for 5 minutes between every enemy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

K. Flaps posted:

The most tolkien roguelike would mean there's an elf reciting a poem for 5 minutes between every enemy.

also feasts

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fat singing bards

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Instead of magic you sing songs and they're kinda interesting passive buffs instead of throw big fireball or whatever. Sil is cool actually because it's one of the few roguelikes I know of where there's no teleport escape option. Also if you try to hide out in a hallway orcs will flank around the level to sandwich you from both ends, which usually ends in you dying because your EV tanks when surrounded.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Random aside to hard games: I heard there was gonna be a Talos Principle 2.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

hatsune miko

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

what is this

lol if you think CoD MP is good on PC.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

the halo series had fantastic ai because it was very focused on creating fun personality filled fights

Yeah halo added seperate routines for all enemy types and then extra trigger behaviors for a bunch of new behaviors on top of that. Most games share their routines with only slight modifications tho.

One of the best ai I've seen actually was for dead space , but like how fear did it it only worked really well in a specific environment designed for that enemy encounter.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

lol if you think CoD MP is good on PC.

its the exact same as console except people are better at shooting?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

just setting higher difficulties to a modifier works well for ys origin and oath in felghana, i think, as an example. you can hit a point in those games on normal where bosses just can't really do enough damage to be a threat, playing on at least hard means you've usually got to be pretty careful or else you'll get wrecked

tbh I think oath would benefit from stripping out the level system. it's really weird for a boss to be fairly tough only to turn into a cakewalk upon getting a new/upgraded piece of equipment or one more level

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I like Tolkien, Angband is tolkien

5/5

I listened to a podcast the other day about boss fights and they were talking about how impossible the Balrog is in Moria.

Wasn't that the prequel to Angband?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf-gA8tLM1A

these dudes, they have tons of behaviors including faking attacks, flanking the player, distracting the player for another stalker to attack, immediately retreating to cover after an attack

its really great but i think theres only a handful of encounters with them, it works so well here because of the warehouse nature of the room

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

its the exact same as console except people are better at shooting?

The level design and weapon balance do not account for the fact that people can sprint all over the place and jump around corners while accurately shooting their guns and as a result, CoD on PC is a gigantic pile of poorly-balanced poo poo.

The issue is not present (or not as bad) on consoles, where restrictions inherent to the nature of gamepads mean people can't do those things. The game is not designed with the use of mouse and keyboard in mind.

Treyarch are slightly better at it than Infinity Ward because they tend to change weapons just a little bit differently between consoles and PC but it hasn't been enough to produce a reasonably balanced game since BlOps 1.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 20, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the main problem with cod pc is that the multi is dead

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

The level design and weapon balance do not account for the fact that people can sprint all over the place and jump around corners while accurately shooting their guns and as a result, CoD on PC is a gigantic pile of poorly-balanced poo poo.

The issue is not present (or not as bad) on consoles, where restrictions inherent to the nature of gamepads mean people can't do those things.

The game is not designed with the use of mouse and keyboard in mind.

Treyarch are slightly better at it than Infinity Ward because they tend to change weapons just a little bit differently between consoles and PC but it hasn't been enough since BlOps 1.

people do all that stuff on console too, try watching some high level play. its a fast shooter that had run and gun builds since 4, and they were especially prevalent in black ops.

just because you are bad at games and play on baby easy so you never saw the higher level matchmaking doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

check any gun vid from like ahoy, he does it all the time

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

people do all that stuff on console too, try watching some high level play. its a fast shooter that had run and gun builds since 4, and they were especially prevalent in black ops.

just because you are bad at games and play on baby easy so you never saw the higher level matchmaking doesn't mean it didn't exist.

:lol:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i liked knifing people

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thats not a rebuttal

i mained smg and shotgun for most of the time i played cod on consoles, accuracy while on the move was my life

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i only play easy games, under my definition of "easy game" as one I can beat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The speed of CoD on consoles is nowhere near the speed of CoD on PC and that's the last I'll say on the topic because this is a dumb derail.

CoD on PC is poo poo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb3e38dnamE

here's my sick kill vid

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

i only play easy games, under my definition of "easy game" as one I can beat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the epic chat thread derail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've made 1 kill vid in my life and drat it to hell if i'm not linking it at every opportunity

• Locked thread