Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
looks like the i/o gdt closed, but imo this thing is pretty boss and should have been in the keynote:

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/05/Google-supercharges-machine-learning-tasks-with-custom-chip.html

an asic for ml, with 10x the perf/watt of gpu offload :holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the death of arcades makes me sad because i cant find a ddr or pump it up machine anywhere within 75 miles of where i live, and theres nowhere in my house with room to set up a metal pad. i lost 100 pounds playing that poo poo in college.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fishmech posted:

it's not my job to care about their stupid business model. that's why its good arcades died

they didn't they just moved online

iap and poo poo is just a modern version of the quarter slot

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

looks like the i/o gdt closed, but imo this thing is pretty boss and should have been in the keynote:

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/05/Google-supercharges-machine-learning-tasks-with-custom-chip.html

there are like zero details on it aside from that picture and some interview which suggests it's an 8-bit fixed-point architecture

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

they didn't they just moved online

iap and poo poo is just a modern version of the quarter slot

ah yes i remember the smartphone game business of 1995-2005 very well

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
quick fyi in case you got the fbi at your door asking about cremnob

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/05/20/police-investigate-firebombing-at-google-headquarters/

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the death of arcades makes me sad because i cant find a ddr or pump it up machine anywhere within 75 miles of where i live, and theres nowhere in my house with room to set up a metal pad. i lost 100 pounds playing that poo poo in college.

ddr a is (supposedly) coming out in the usa in a month or so, see if there's a dave n busters nearby that has it

downside: having to go to dave n busters

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Dog posted:

ddr a is (supposedly) coming out in the usa in a month or so, see if there's a dave n busters nearby that has it

downside: having to go to dave n busters

the one and only time i went to a dave and busters i destroyed a new rug with uncontrollable torrents of vomit 2 hours later

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

and yet I can't buy it :mad:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
oh they just announced it, boo. let's just say, i've been making some sick seinfeld scripts for a while on the side and it is boss.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/googles-project-ara-phone-no-longer-upgradable-new-dev-unit-ship-this-fall/

quote:

Most of the modular promises have been toned down—now all the "base components" of a smartphone are built into the Ara body, just like a normal smartphone. The Ara body contains a fixed CPU, GPU, antennas, sensors, battery, and display. The Ara page says this "frees up more room for hardware in each module," but it also removes Ara's promise of upgradability. The modules will now be for the camera and speakers, along with accessories to the base smartphone like a fingerprint reader or an extra display.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow the modular phone project ended in a wet fart. who would have guessed

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the BATTERY is built in. this is the one thing people had to get used to about the iPhone, and the thing so many smartphone makers avoided building in so they could market it against Apple.. and lose!

this leaves them with: modules for style, modules for a camera, modules for a finger print scanner and modules for GPS. this is all poo poo my phone already has, either built in or through the case.

but wait, the finger print scanner module... is a detachable replaceable module on the exterior of the phone. my God even for Android security, this is hosed. this thing can never come out. it would be a threat to national security.

yippee cahier posted:

"frees up more room for hardware in each module,"

drat, it's like they're slowly realizing why cellphones aren't modular in the first place. i wonder how many times an engineer has let slip, "oh, so this is why apple built it that way"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they probably let it slip at least once when they were innovating new and different ways to add a camera bump

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the year is 2029. hackers in mainland china have been selling bugged Ara modules for years. the modules, which of course all had access to other parts of the phones, sat dormant collecting finger print images of their owners, periodically commandeering the antenna to send the valuable biometric data to servers overseas. 2 months ago a rogue member of the group, or possibly one of it's clients, leaked the petabytes of data onto the net. security technicians scrambled to cross reference the data with their databases, they didn't want any of the leaked biometric data being used to gain access to their systems. within days, millions of employees were unable to enter their own workplaces, and legacy security systems had to be taken out of storage for use again.

most modern work places now have two entrances: ones for employees with compromised biometric data, and ones for those with "pure bios". the compromised entrance uses RF keys in combination with OTP codes sent to them remotely over 5G connection to their phones. pure bios scan their thumb as normal. as you'd expect, the pure bios line moves a lot more smoothly than the compromised one. some have taken to calling them the "android" and "iPhone" doors, since no iPhone users were compromised.

with the follow-up of yet more leaks from more compromised modules and devices, those with pure bios are an increasingly valuable commodity in military and high-tech sectors. the debate has started over whether those with compromised bios are a protected class that employers can or cannot discriminate against when hiring, as compromised individuals find it harder and harder to find good paying jobs.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have no idea what you are going for, but i am pretty sure you are putting in way too much effort to ridicule an obviously ridiculous concept

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

and i'm having a great time doing it!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

reminder of a few things:
- everyone in yospos called this years ago because we aren't retarded
- the guys who came up with this idea are still rich as gently caress

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
like it isn't so much that some idiots had a bad idea that i find offensive it's that they got paid shitloads of money by a company that absolutely should have known better.

what the gently caress am i doing with my life

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Necc0 posted:

like it isn't so much that some idiots had a bad idea that i find offensive it's that they got paid shitloads of money by a company that absolutely should have known better.

trying not to produce garbage in other ways, i hope

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

you can choose between two ideologies: anything that makes money is good and valid, this is the ideology of capitalism.

or things are good and valid because they meet a certain criteria that you define based on your own values

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
wouldn't that make the lg phone better than this ~*~moonshot~*~ project that's the ara? because even that one had a removable battery?

edit:

the one in this ridiculous commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOpsnNf9Wj0

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

PleasureKevin posted:

the year is 2029. hackers in mainland china have been selling bugged Ara modules for years. the modules, which of course all had access to other parts of the phones, sat dormant collecting finger print images of their owners, periodically commandeering the antenna to send the valuable biometric data to servers overseas. 2 months ago a rogue member of the group, or possibly one of it's clients, leaked the petabytes of data onto the net. security technicians scrambled to cross reference the data with their databases, they didn't want any of the leaked biometric data being used to gain access to their systems. within days, millions of employees were unable to enter their own workplaces, and legacy security systems had to be taken out of storage for use again.

most modern work places now have two entrances: ones for employees with compromised biometric data, and ones for those with "pure bios". the compromised entrance uses RF keys in combination with OTP codes sent to them remotely over 5G connection to their phones. pure bios scan their thumb as normal. as you'd expect, the pure bios line moves a lot more smoothly than the compromised one. some have taken to calling them the "android" and "iPhone" doors, since no iPhone users were compromised.

with the follow-up of yet more leaks from more compromised modules and devices, those with pure bios are an increasingly valuable commodity in military and high-tech sectors. the debate has started over whether those with compromised bios are a protected class that employers can or cannot discriminate against when hiring, as compromised individuals find it harder and harder to find good paying jobs.

thank you kevin this post brought me moderate pleasure

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I was in my schools DDR club..............................................................................................................................................................the sights i ve witnessed , was matched only by the smell of the girl who didnt shower.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

max4me posted:

I was in my schools DDR club..............................................................................................................................................................the sights i ve witnessed , was matched only by the smell of the girl who didnt shower.

oh

i met my wife at a friend's wedding

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

ban pleasurekevin

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Necc0 posted:

we aren't retarded

Speak for yourself

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PleasureKevin posted:

you can choose between two ideologies: anything that makes money is good and valid, this is the ideology of capitalism.

or things are good and valid because they meet a certain criteria that you define based on your own values

I think given the opportunity to scam rich people out of a ton of money it'd be immoral not to but somehow I don't think that's what these guys were going for

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
but then youd become what u hate: a rich person

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

max4me posted:

ive smelled things you people wouldnt believe
swamp rear end of the end of a perfect dance session
ive watched sweat streams pouring down the jittery crack of a wobbling mate
all those moments will be lost in time
like sick beats… in the… arcade
time to cry

mishaq posted:

ban pleasurekevin

train pleasurekevin to the worse of the two scifi threads and make him write fiction for them to critique

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

your plot kind of depends on a) anyone buying an ara phone b) a lot of people buying an ara phone

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
the google keyboard still doesn't seem to support predictions in multiple languages simultaneously. i'm just going to keep using swiftkey

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wheany posted:

your plot kind of depends on a) anyone buying an ara phone b) a lot of people buying an ara phone

"if the only phones are aras, all phonecallers must use aras"
– mr. google

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cool now i can upgrade my side-talkin speaker once the current one blows out

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im sure everyone on my commute will love it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Triglav posted:

but then youd become what u hate: a rich person

poo poo!!!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wheany posted:

c) iphones not dying, when they are dying

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Wheany posted:

the google keyboard still doesn't seem to support predictions in multiple languages simultaneously. i'm just going to keep using swiftkey

A totally normal use case and very reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Google keyboard owns now and i think i might not go back to swype

• Locked thread