Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes but you'll at least remember basic concepts like "oh poo poo this is admissible."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Evidence wasn't required for us either, but I don't know anyone who actually went into practicing law that didn't take it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I took evidence with a really tough professor who made everyone in the back row (me) sit in the front row and cold called for answers.

To the extent I'm worth a drat as an attorney, it's what I learned in that class.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Evidence wasn't technically required for me but we were required to take a clinic and it was a pre-req for all the clinics except 1 or 2.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
All the evidence I learned I learned in the courtroom after being hosed over by a rule. Anger keeps me going and sharp

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Evidence: judges let in whatever the gently caress they feel like

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Evidence: judges let in whatever the gently caress they feel like

The main thing I remember from my evidence class is my professor saying "your dream as a young lawyer is to stand up and say 'objection' and for the judge to say 'sustained' and for you to have absolutely no idea why"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
My evidence class opened with the prof says "evidence is really subjective, so we're having an objective final"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
gently caress admin law. gently caress SallyAnne Payton (no idea if that is really her name, but that's how I remember it).

Evidence owns though, take evidence. Your professor will pronounce your classmate's name ("Regina") to rhyme with vagina. At least that's the case in my experience.

E: also take Bloodfeuds. That poo poo owns. If your law school doesn't offer a class on dark ages Scandinavians resolving disputes by murdering each other, WAYSA?

gvibes fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 21, 2016

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Article about the attorney in Texas you guys were talking about is heartbreaking. His son was set to be married in a couple of weeks. :(

http://forward.com/news/national/340881/who-was-prominent-dallas-lawyer-ira-tobolowsky-and-did-jihad-man-want-him-d/

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I know one of the sons and they really don't come off as Jewish

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's like my crim law prof that was iced in his driveway. It's a cold case now, iirc. Professional hit and no leads.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hope I'm murdered as a result of my career. It'll give my son something to avenge, other than high cholesterol and heart disease.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

gvibes posted:

E: also take Bloodfeuds. That poo poo owns. If your law school doesn't offer a class on dark ages Scandinavians resolving disputes by murdering each other, WAYSA?

Really, just take anything with William Ian Miller, the pride of Green Bay.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I'm currently sitting in my graduation ceremony and I've decided to not pursue Law School thanks to this thread. The lady next to me is taking LSAT Prep Questions on her phone while we all wait for our names to be called.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Shouldn't she have already taken? Law school right after college is the worst - employers care so much about prior professional work experience which you can't get in college. You could at least bum around abroad for a year and have interesting stories that would make you interview better than being a kjd.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's like my crim law prof that was iced in his driveway. It's a cold case now, iirc. Professional hit and no leads.

I'm still blown away by this. I had him for crim law as well and a couple of people I work with went to law school with him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mikeraskol posted:

I'm still blown away by this. I had him for crim law as well and a couple of people I work with went to law school with him.

It's nuts to me, too.

For those that don't know what we're talking about http://www.people.com/article/one-year-later-question-remains-who-shot-florida-law-professor-dan-markel

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

You're nyc biglaw and went to FSU? Is that a rarity?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're nyc biglaw and went to FSU? Is that a rarity?

I did my first year at FSU and then transferred to NYU. It's definitely a rarity to see anyone from FSU in NYC, the only other person I know also did the FSU to NYU thing in the same year as me.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 23, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol

https://youtu.be/C7h7uevwxt8

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I've seen that. The comments are gold, even for youtube.

Huuum: Same judge and attorney:
http://www.local10.com/news/broward-county-judge-lashes-out-at-defense-attorney

nm fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

:golfclap:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Sov: "May I post bond Sir???"

Dude laughing from the back: "Nooope".

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I get an intern today. I have a bunch of busy work for him, some of which is meaningful. Current students, what helps you the most - writing samples, discovery writing, going to court, just chilling?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I get an intern today. I have a bunch of busy work for him, some of which is meaningful. Current students, what helps you the most - writing samples, discovery writing, going to court, just chilling?

All of those have been helpful in one way or another. If I was to rank them I'd say discovery writing, court, just chilling, and writing sample.

Writing sample is last because they already have something from class work they can use and while a work product is better they only need one. Just make sure it's kept around 5 pages, some places have limits.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

slowly ramping up the crushing feelings of despair and helplessness.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I got a couple hours of court tomorrow then am fuckin jettin off to play Warhammer and no one can stop me.

yeahhhhh professional class

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

the guys in the back are the real stars of this video

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hi all!
I apologize if this has been answered recently, I didnt see anything.
My wife, a 12-year attorney, and I are moving to Washington from California, as soon as she can get a job. She is licensed to practice in both states. So far, I've been checking lawcrossing and legaljobs, but the positions available seem scant, especially considering she has years of experience in 4 or 5 fields.

Any advice to help me hone this search would be appreciated. My wife says that, in the past, she's used a service to find her a job. However, her most recent use of such a service was over a decade ago. Is this still a thing? Would you recommend it, and which ones are good?

Hey, thanks a bunch for any information you could provide. We've been looking for two months, and it still feels like we're on square 1. We are quite flexible when it comes to clocation, just as long as its in Western WA

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 23, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Network network network. Have her join the local bar association, get on all the ad litem/criminal/whatever she does appointment lists, go to all the bar functions, invite local attorneys to lunch, the fuckung works.

Send letters to small firms, introducing herself and explaining her move. Maybe hang out a shingle to get started and buy her a $19 domain name, and just rent office space on an hourly basis for consults or client meetings, and meet clients at the Courthouse and stuff.

12 years is too long to be volunteering to intern anywhere I think, but as a last ditch resort, maybe.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hi all!
I apologize if this has been answered recently, I didnt see anything.
My wife, a 12-year attorney, and I are moving to Washington from California, as soon as she can get a job. She is licensed to practice in both states. So far, I've been checking lawcrossing and legaljobs, but the positions available seem scant, especially considering she has years of experience in 4 or 5 fields.

Any advice to help me hone this search would be appreciated. My wife says that, in the past, she's used a service to find her a job. However, her most recent use of such a service was over a decade ago. Is this still a thing? Would you recommend it, and which ones are good?

Hey, thanks a bunch for any information you could provide. We've been looking for two months, and it still feels like we're on square 1. We are quite flexible when it comes to clocation, just as long as its in Western WA

I'd look into legal recruiters. What's her actual experience? Solo, at a firm, or what? Lawcrossing and legaljobs strike me as pretty bottom-tier stuff and that any good jobs won't show up there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

terrorist ambulance posted:

the guys in the back are the real stars of this video

nm posted:

I've seen that. The comments are gold, even for youtube.

So there are always a bunch of "wake up sheeple" comments claiming that sovcit poo poo works and YouTube is just keeping those videos down, but they never post links. Do they have anything besides videos of cops who let obviously sober idiots go through checkpoints without showing ID, or is that the extent of flesh and blood traveler victories? Does anyone have a courtroom video of a sovcit winning anything? Is there something besides crackpot blogs that shows them prevailing on anything substantive?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So there are always a bunch of "wake up sheeple" comments claiming that sovcit poo poo works and YouTube is just keeping those videos down, but they never post links. Do they have anything besides videos of cops who let obviously sober idiots go through checkpoints without showing ID, or is that the extent of flesh and blood traveler victories? Does anyone have a courtroom video of a sovcit winning anything? Is there something besides crackpot blogs that shows them prevailing on anything substantive?

Sovereign citizens have won cases, but never because they are sovereign citizens. Being sovereign citizens they don't understand the distinction.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah there's probably a couple cases where the prosecution has just withdrawn its case rather than proceed because the case is lovely anyways where someone is running sov cit bullshit. One stay like that could be enough for them to figure they've got the system beat no matter what contradictory evidence is presented to them (up to and including being thrown in jail, as that video shows)

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Whenever a sovereign citizens plan / utterance of magic words fails and ends up crushing in on them and making the situation worse, a true believer at that point just thinks they must have uttered the wrong words in the wrong sequence and will endlessly replay that instead of learning anything. Its also so shameful to admit one has been deeply misled into stupidity that they will create a cocoon where they disregard all evidence for a while, even if they later accept the truth and usually are meek/never heard of again.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

blarzgh posted:

Network network network. Have her join the local bar association, get on all the ad litem/criminal/whatever she does appointment lists, go to all the bar functions, invite local attorneys to lunch, the fuckung works.

Send letters to small firms, introducing herself and explaining her move. Maybe hang out a shingle to get started and buy her a $19 domain name, and just rent office space on an hourly basis for consults or client meetings, and meet clients at the Courthouse and stuff.

12 years is too long to be volunteering to intern anywhere I think, but as a last ditch resort, maybe.

As a law student one approach I had to networking also was to just message attorneys on linkedin for a phone call or coffee

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 13, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

I'd look into legal recruiters. What's her actual experience? Solo, at a firm, or what? Lawcrossing and legaljobs strike me as pretty bottom-tier stuff and that any good jobs won't show up there.

Great questions, thanks! She's been at firms her whole career, usually fairly large ones, always defense. She currently does premises liability for a nationwide chain, habitability/landlord tenant, Construction defect, some professional liability.

What are some good legal recruiter services?

blarzgh posted:

This seems like sound advice, thanks, but I'm not sure how to apply it to our specific situation. We live in Southern California, and she's looking for a job in Washington state, so bar functions and local attorney and all that seems... unfeasible? We aren't moving until she has a job. A letter blast to small firms sounds good, how would we obtain contact information and for what should we search?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Great questions, thanks! She's been at firms her whole career, usually fairly large ones, always defense. She currently does premises liability for a nationwide chain, habitability/landlord tenant, Construction defect, some professional liability.

What are some good legal recruiter services?

This seems like sound advice, thanks, but I'm not sure how to apply it to our specific situation. We live in Southern California, and she's looking for a job in Washington state, so bar functions and local attorney and all that seems... unfeasible? We aren't moving until she has a job. A letter blast to small firms sounds good, how would we obtain contact information and for what should we search?

Amazon has about a billion compliance / general counsel jobs open right now. I think they're in Seattle? A lawgoon just got a job there, I think, and one of my law school friends got a job there about a year ago.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/job_categories/legal

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2016