Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

wicka posted:

few things in american soccer are a more active impediment to the sport's popularity than these godawful supporters groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

wicka posted:

few things in american soccer are a more active impediment to the sport's popularity than these godawful supporters groups

How so?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Portland humans, we are here
Respect your people who identify as female, drink your gluten-free beer

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Shut it down. This thread has peaked.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bobby Digital posted:

Respect your people who identify as female, drink your gluten-free beer

Nice gluten free beer theft.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Nice gluten free beer theft.

Respect your people who identify as female, exchange Bitcoin for your gluten-free beer

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jyrka posted:

How so?

they spend more time supporting themselves than the club, they constantly get into overly dramatic pissing matches among themselves (see above) and other supporters groups, they sing horribly cringeworthy songs that feel like someone wrote fan fiction about european football, etc. the terrible truth is that silly poo poo you just read about in portland is not at all unique.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

wicka posted:

they spend more time supporting themselves than the club, they constantly get into overly dramatic pissing matches among themselves (see above) and other supporters groups, they sing horribly cringeworthy songs that feel like someone wrote fan fiction about european football, etc. the terrible truth is that silly poo poo you just read about in portland is not at all unique.

This is all true, and while they are widespread they still represent a small percentage of soccer fans in North America.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

wicka posted:

"nods"

wicka posted:

*nods*

Suqit posted:

This is all true, and while they are widespread they still represent a small percentage of soccer fans in North America.

For now.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

wicka posted:

that, and they have to be "inclusive" which means no swearing or fun (though this may be more of a league rule, i dunno)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

wicka posted:

To be fair, the bolded part is the same in all of the Americas, just with more beatings and stabbings outside of the US

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Simone Poodoin posted:

To be fair, the bolded part is the same in all of the Americas, just with more beatings and stabbings outside of the US

In the US they just yell at each other on Twitter or Reddit or make a Mario tifo about it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I wish the MLS almost tried to emulate English football culture better. Gimme more "Portland FC" and "New England United" (as cringey as they are) and proper hooliganism with the stabbings and eventual crackdown.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Sandwolf posted:

I wish the MLS almost tried to emulate English football culture better. Gimme more "Portland FC" and "New England United" (as cringey as they are) and proper hooliganism with the stabbings and eventual crackdown.
reminder that this is what that looks like lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dAWJ6Ex_Kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pFluj1u-Y

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Iniesta posted:

The fans deserve a big celebration, they suffer a lot."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If an MLS "hooligan" fight was ever serious enough to get a U.S. riot squad involved, holy :lol: would there be some savage beatdowns of supporters group snowflakes.

wicka posted:

A lot of these people either would have or refused to games in the early days of the league since "soccer moms ugh". Oh no the league was selling tickets to the people who were actually buying them, instead of handing them out to people sitting on their hands waiting for a "European" experience to pop up rather than go to the games and try to create an atmosphere on their own. Way too many of these just want to be catered to and feel "unique" - they're those people who would post on BigSoccer however long ago about how they would rather see per-game attendance stay in the 15,000 range so they wouldn't have to go through the indignity of being mixed with "generic" sports fans.

It's like that "Southern Legion" supporters group in Miami. There's a D2 team in Miami, and another D2 team in Fort Lauderdale. Do they go to these games? No, you see, because having to attend "minor league soccer" is beneath their aesthetic sensibilities and they will not attend attend games in person until MLS comes and gives it to them in their own stadium with their own section and who knows maybe they get their own brand of beer and free plane tickets and a YouTube series. It's literally a supporters group that doesn't cheer for any teams because they want someone to bring a team that they feel is at their level.

And the worst part is that these are the people that get put on a pedestal as if they're the ones everyone needs to emulate.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 21, 2016

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sandwolf posted:

Not possible without the away fan culture

I forgot to mention that me and my friend heard that 'steal your women' line at the Timbers game and thought it was ridiculous, and even then it was almost being sung apologetically

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
They should get their Timbers Army cheerleaders to shout "trigger warning" before every European style rooting chant

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

They should get their Timbers Army cheerleaders to shout "trigger warning" before every European style rooting chant
TRIGG-ER
WAR-NING

*clap**clap**clapclapclap*

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
rename this thread objects to be shagged, possessions to be conquered, "babes" to be ogled

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

TRIGG-ER
WAR-NING

*clap**clap**clapclapclap*

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Nice problems you have in the US. Over here the average ticket sales for the highest league match is around 10.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/NinthVirtue/status/734095232468430848

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Someone in Brooklyn once chastised me and my old roommate for saying "some stupid motherfucker" on the street in Brooklyn. Where do these people think they live?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Someone in Brooklyn once chastised me and my old roommate for saying "some stupid motherfucker" on the street in Brooklyn. Where do these people think they live?

Park Slope?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Brony Car posted:

Park Slope?

don't sign your posts

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Park Slope?

Yes lol

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts

Jesus, lol

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts
lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts

lol loving hell get this ape under control

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts

:wth:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts

Oh my

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts

loving lmao

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts

WHOA

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chuggo is BACK posted:

don't sign your posts
:stare:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hello r/soccer, I’m a plastic. I’m a new soccer fan and I follow my local team, NYCFC. I know some of you were expecting a song or maybe even a poem, what with a title like this, but I’m just taking something from someone else and loving it up. I’m an American, that’s what we do.
My tale begins like so many plastics: I grew up playing soccer. It was one of many sports I played, but it was the first one I played on an organized team and I continued playing through high school. I loved soccer.
I only ever watched soccer on TV every 4 years, whenever the World Cup was on. I didn’t know any of the players names, but I learned them during the Cup and some became minor legends. DONOVAN!
The one thing I hated more than anything else about soccer was the flopping. I know, I know, it’s artistry, it’s part of the game, it’s...well, it’s bullshit and it was what turned me and so many of my friends off from watching soccer growing up. As a plastic America, I understood that refs could make bad calls and there was some theatrics in the NBA (I’m looking at you Dwayne Wade!), but it ruined what could have been an awesome growing sport in America.
See, we American’s love sports. We love all kinds of sports. We really love football (American Football). And college football, well, it’s firmly in a league of it’s own in America. There is a reason that of the ten largest stadiums in the world, eight of them are in the US and are shrines to college football. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity
I defy anyone who thinks Americans don’t get sport or sporting culture to go to a Michigan v Ohio State game or Texas v Texas A&M college football game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pZaPLdKdqA
We Americans tend to move around a lot. We grow up in an area (for me New England, (see, we wanted to be England right from the beginning, just NEWer!)), go to college in an area (U. Michigan, go Wolverines!), and then settle in an area (NYC), sometimes moving several times before really settling (San Francisco, Boston, and back to NYC).
We develop allegiances to the teams in all these areas. I’m a Red Sox, New England Patriots, Boston Celtics, UCONN basketball (law school), U. of Michigan Wolverines, and now NYCFC fan. I couldn’t like any of the other New York teams due to growing up in New England and the bitter rivalries that due in fact exist in American sports. We actually do understand the concept: try sitting in a group of Yankees fans wearing a Red Sox hat or shirt. Come on, it’ll be fun! But NYCFC, a new team, in what is looking like my semi-permanent residence. That was something I could get behind.
Learning about the team and the players long before they ever played a game, I decided to follow Manchester City as well. The connections were obvious (ownership) and monetary (us NY’ers really get this), so I became a plastic Manchester CIty fan as well. Thanks to NBCSN, we Americans can now watch every premier league game live. I did in fact watch every game, cup and non-league games included. (Toure is old, Sterling sucks, KDB is money and Aguero is god). I learned about the Euros, other leagues (thanks to Champions League) and became pretty obsessed with soccer generally. You see, the one issue I’d had with soccer (the one I mentioned earlier, the flopping thing), well it wasn’t as big an issue in BPL games and they strictly enforce rules against it in the MLS.
So where does this leave us? We are plastic, new, bandwagon-y fans without a culture. But we are trying and I think succeeding at an unexpectedly rapid pace that is definitely accelerating. The New York metropolitan area (as defined by the US Census in 2015) has 20.2 million people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area We have the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, Knicks, Jets, Mets, Nets, Islanders, and now Red Bulls and NYCFC (we also have two women’s professional teams - Liberty in Basketball and Sky Blue FC (my wife made me add this)). It is a crowded marketplace for your sporting attention. And these are just the pro teams. Add in countless colleges and you have an incredibly diverse set of sporting interests.
We are plastic for soccer. We get that. It’s new to us and we hated it before. That is changing and not just for hipsters (I’m too old to be a hipster, although I’ve been called a mipster (which is Mr. Hipster)). We get that we are crud. I kinda like coming to r/soccer to see silly things being said about the MLS and American sports because it is usually so ignorant of the history and the American obsession with competition.
And that leads to my final plastic point: Patrick Viera recently talked in an interview about the level of play in the MLS and said he and almost every European comes here is surprised at the level of quality. But he also noted our biggest handicap. College and High School sports. You see, these are important community driven things in American. College Football (and by association - all college sports) aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. But they create a significant handicap for our athletes. Our schools at both levels have lots of rules PREVENTING playing various sports year round or practicing too much. When some of our best college players enter the MLS at 23 years old, they’ve literally missed 6-8 years of intense development and training that European and South American players working at the highest level get. This is why our national team coach prefers foreign born players (US servicemen in Germany -- keep up the good work!). Foreign born players don’t have the restrictions on their development that are artificially imposed on American players from a very early age.
In summary: please continue hating us and our teams and our fans. Americans like nothing more than being underestimated and disrespected. It drives us to make changes and improve on things the rest of the world has given us (only later do we gently caress them up). But just remember, in 2050, when we dominate soccer (we are a country with more Germans than Germany, more Brits than England, and more of everything else than most other places combined), we told you that plastic is pretty hard to destroy (its why we have rules about it for landfills).
So here’s to the plastics! Here’s to the new culture of soccer in America! Here’s to r/soccer hating us and making GBS threads on us forever! GO NYCFC! JERSEY BOYS SUCK!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

No one is going to read that post.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I read the last line so I lol'd.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Toure is old, Sterling sucks, KDB is money and Aguero is god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy