Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
If you'd played me you'd know !

I'm tending to go for objective score/deniers first - so infantry (incl the glorious froggy proletariat) and anti-air... and then build around that to support them, but it's hard to leave the new shiny thing that can do What? out of a list.

^^^
And, yes, I'm British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

The one who painted the wehrmacht models was american and the one who told be to be proud seems to be british .

Perfect. Never change, wargaming.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

personally I think you should be proud of the weh- nah I can't even finish that one.

Renfield posted:

If you'd played me you'd know !

I'm tending to go for objective score/deniers first - so infantry (incl the glorious froggy proletariat) and anti-air... and then build around that to support them, but it's hard to leave the new shiny thing that can do What? out of a list.

^^^
And, yes, I'm British.
This is most likely a better way than I am building lists currently. Good idea chap.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm now sorely tempted to start playing Bolt Action or something, buying a German army and painting their uniforms lavender or some other grossly historically inaccurate color.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Oh wow, 27 new posts in the Dropzone Commander thread. Some news must have come out about Dropfleet's release!

Oh. Oh wait. It's just some pussy with boo-boo face who needed to join the hug circle. Oh well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I am a sucker for resistance tanks and the PHR organ gun colors me interested. Once I have more money saved up I am going to get two sets of those. I don't think rules have been posted for those yet, have they?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, hey, maybe we can stop talking about goddamned Nazis in the Dropzone/Dropfleet thread now:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those look gorgeous, hoping it comes out before my birthday. :)

Rules question, can you use the Call for Extraction Command Card on Praetorian Snipers that deploy without a transport? It says destroyed (I think? I don't have access to my cards) so curious if you can, would be a cool way of getting them out of the table. Or being able to attach a transport to them but not having to deploy with them and let it start in reserve.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Any troops with transports have to start in them - Transports - pg 50 in the hardback book, 6th para down

The card reads 'The destroyed (transport, mine say Gate) may be replaced....' - so I think it's a flat out replacement for one that got killed, and would be attached to the same thing the original one was.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 22, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bugger. Dave where's my v3 cards!!!

Anyone mind giving me some feedback for a tournament list? we have a two-day event this weekend and I'm trying to finalize what I want to take, this is what I'm leaning towards right now:

Standard Army
Clash: 1500/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1500/1500 pts]
Field Command [474 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [106 pts]

Armored Formation [332 pts]
Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
Katana Squad: 6x Katana [222 pts]

Legionnaire Corps [326 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]

Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]

Special Ordnance [221 pts]
Longbow Squad: 2x Longbow, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [90 pts]
Scimitar Squad: 2x Scimitar, Condor [131 pts]

Air Wing [67 pts]
Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

Originally I had Gladius tanks int here instead of Scimitars but found them a bit lacking apart from making GBS threads up table space which is pretty good when it comes to focal points admittedly. I want to test out Scimitars some more as I have very little experience with them, I gave them a Condor to let them redeploy (and deploy if there's no good fire lanes to drive on), but that's not entirely a choice I'm confident with to be honest. Thoughts? (E: Might run the Eagle with the Scimitars maybe, let the Longbows support the Katana's first and lets my demolition activate separately if I want it to).

I usually run a Wolverine A group in some lists but I find them absolutely garbage. I think they may have merit if I run like, 8 of them, but I find they just never have any impact in any games so chinned them off. Praetorian Snipers seem decent but a bit overpriced (and then I'd run a gently caress ton of troops) instead of the Scimitars, but I kinda like the look of this.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 23, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I don't own any scimitars yet so i can't really comment on them but yeah, my first instinct would be to switch the eagle and the longbows so the katanas can have a continuous smokescreen if you want and a +4 one on thew turn they pop their own smoke. The scimitars on the other hand should stay back far enough that they don't need the smoke as much. The other option would be to attach the eagle to the second infantry group.

I like having a squad of praetorians but yeah, if you don't go with an expeditionary corps and have only one slot the hazards might be more valuable.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Scimitars are probably best used to drive on and dominate a long fire lane from the back of the board. The more you move them the less use they are really.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tbh the reason I gave them the condor was because that was how many points I had left and redeploy them if there isn't any good places to drive on to lock down. I could potentially drop them as I haven't used them yet. Add the Longbows to the Katana squad has mentioned and run a scout group with the new points? That forces me to take Wolverines or Snipers though. Not fond of the first ones and the second are untested. This is for a tournament list this weekend so going to have to fly it by the wire anyway. I mean without majorly reshifting my list, what can I spend those points on? Just giving everything missile upgrades feels like a bit of a waste.

Thanks for the replies too both :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 24, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you want to drop the scimitars i could maybe see putting in four wolverines and another archangel. You could then move the hazards into the scout group. I do tend to go too light on things than can actually hold focus points admittedly but no idea how much keeping the scimitars would help there.

Also my ravens/falcons are coming along and will get their testflight on saturday.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those are the sickest nastiest Falcons brah.

Yeah, I like the idea of redeploying the Scimitars mid game when people are more committed to table sections after moving to avoid them, then deploying to shoot people. They're as tanky as Gladii as well, so they can hold focal points once the harder hitting enemy models have been whittled down. I need to sit down and really get to grips with Wolverines, mine have just been shocking. Though after this weekend I do want to play with Praetorian Snipers and see how they work for me. The idea of a SF heavy UCM sounds really cool.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I've got my son hooked. He's 9 and we spent the weekend building and painting his UCM starter and then he beat me 3-2 in the introduction game!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Crossposting this from the oath thread:

wdarkk posted:

Whew, painting an entire starter box and trying new things made this a bit of a challenge. Still, Oath Complete!

If you're wondering how the hell I painted the moonrunes on, I didn't! I took a pdf file to FedEx (formerly Kinkos) and had them print it on transparent adhesive paper. A full sheet of custom decals for 53 cents (including tax)!

I magnetized the vehicles. It was quite a pain, mostly due to the fact that I couldn't figure out a way to get the part of the mechs I needed to drill into to actually lie flat.

Also, I discovered that I subconsciously stole the color scheme from the shoes of someone I know.

Claiming Where are my dragons for sci-fi flying shooting things and #squadgoals for the "it's an entire starter set" bit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any of you goons going to the UK Games Expo this weekend? I'll be there on Saturday to check it out but won't be playing in the tournament, just wondering if anyone was going to be there.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm going cock eyed painting these Legionnaires, jesus. At least my other infantry are nicer to look at.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Got to the uk games expo and picked up the Njord/Poseidon pack. Looks like mine has 4 of the missile turrets in - am pretty sure the Njord only mounts 2 of them, so looks like it's magnets-and-making-my-Poseidon-useful time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Any idea when Reconquest Phase 2 ships?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Any idea when Reconquest Phase 2 ships?
End of this month allegedly!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

End of this month allegedly!

Cool. I can't wait to see what it's got. Now we just need the app (and Dropfleet Commander ofc).

So, I'm having a bit of paralysis on building my Tritons. They've got two different optional weapon systems, and I'm not sure what my final list for PHR is going to look like just yet. Should I model them with those weapons, or magnetize them, or just hope that I can slide them into their slots after it's painted?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

Cool. I can't wait to see what it's got. Now we just need the app (and Dropfleet Commander ofc).

So, I'm having a bit of paralysis on building my Tritons. They've got two different optional weapon systems, and I'm not sure what my final list for PHR is going to look like just yet. Should I model them with those weapons, or magnetize them, or just hope that I can slide them into their slots after it's painted?

I find that I use Janus much more than Mercurys if that helps. I have a pair of Tritons with each option glued on because them miniguns look like a bitch to magnetise!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

LazyAngel posted:

Got to the uk games expo and picked up the Njord/Poseidon pack. Looks like mine has 4 of the missile turrets in - am pretty sure the Njord only mounts 2 of them, so looks like it's magnets-and-making-my-Poseidon-useful time.

Mine had six! Both of my Poseidons are getting magnetised posthaste

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The thought of a poseidon with six missile pods makes me want a weaponized albatross :v:

Also magnets are the answer to everything, always more magnets. That or more solid boosters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The Eagle is scary enough, and a heavy/slow gunship is more the PHR's thing. plus the UCM already has the Phoenix,

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Painted my first Shaltari models in about 2 years. Lovely models apart from the Ocelot's slightly droopy gun!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I hear you can take something for that type of problem.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Walkabout videos from the UK Games Expo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfCj0XSEZSE
Hawk fixed the big New Orleans model a bit, and added lots more blue LEDs, plus a light-up plaque (the Hawk stand is at 4:12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gqVf_nWrPs
The Spring Invasion games were taking a break when I filmed the tables unfortunately, but there were 16 players overall

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Have the Dropfleet beta test rules gotten updated much recently? Has fighter spam being crazy good gotten toned down at all?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Fairly hefty update on the Kickstarter today, mostly talking about shipping. Seems they'll definitely be shipping in July, but stuff is starting to get assembled.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

Have the Dropfleet beta test rules gotten updated much recently? Has fighter spam being crazy good gotten toned down at all?

No rules update recently, I did ask if there would be another beta test day (they said at the first one there may be one in May, but there wasn't) and I was told at the UK Games Expo there probably wouldn't be one before they started shipping.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm kinda encouraged that they have already started packing orders as the parts are coming in, hopefully that makes the process less manic and reduces shipping errors.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

krushgroove posted:

No rules update recently, I did ask if there would be another beta test day (they said at the first one there may be one in May, but there wasn't) and I was told at the UK Games Expo there probably wouldn't be one before they started shipping.

Hmmm.... hope they got what they need to make it a solid balanced game... not that that will particularly matter to me... I will be happy enough just playing with my spaceship toys...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm just going to be moving them around going zooom.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pash posted:

Hmmm.... hope they got what they need to make it a solid balanced game... not that that will particularly matter to me... I will be happy enough just playing with my spaceship toys...

I think Hawk are pretty good at listening to feedback, so fingers crossed the beta group managed to give them a clear message on the stuff to tweak. So long as the core mechanics come out solid individual units will inevitably get tweaked as the meta emerges.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm just going to be moving them around going zooom.

Mag Blast rules apply :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man I love Legionnaires but I forget sometimes how bad they actually are. :v: Though I think they're great because they're so drat cheap.+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If you put enough of them in one place you will eventually out roll your opponent!