Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if you haven't played arcanum, you can do so for almost a dollar

https://www.gog.com/game/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mortimer posted:

Don't forget to install Krupp's All-In-One patch to make tech useful: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/doa/krupp_aio_arcanumhackv1.zip

(I'm amazed Terra Arcanum is still up and running.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mortimer posted:

I keep wanting to give Arcanum another shot whenever it gets brought up. Is there a specific character build that makes things easier? I've been told that characters that specialize in magic have an easier time. Does that still apply after you've used the patch (I wasn't aware of the patch when I first tried playing it about five years ago.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 11, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I keep wanting to give Arcanum another shot whenever it gets brought up. Is there a specific character build that makes things easier? I've been told that characters that specialize in magic have an easier time. Does that still apply after you've used the patch (I wasn't aware of the patch when I first tried playing it about five years ago.)

Yes magic is the best if you know how to play infinity engine games or games similar to Arcanum. If you don't, melee is the best. Melee makes you an undying god, magic makes you a swiss army knife with a gun attached

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

The All In One patch nerfs the blatantly broken magic spells and buffs tech to the point where it's mostly viable, but magic still gets to do a lot of what tech does without requiring crafting components, so it's probably easier to a total newbie. If you go tech, be prepared to spend a lot of time going through bins.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mortimer posted:

Yes magic is the best if you know how to play infinity engine games or games similar to Arcanum. If you don't, melee is the best. Melee makes you an undying god, magic makes you a swiss army knife with a gun attached

The easily missable dog NPC companion makes you a melee god and mother of pooch is it powerful.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Magic is pretty straightforward: take Harm, click on stuff really fast. After that you can branch out kind of however, but I always liked being able to summon level 30 orcs (I think? Ogres, maybe) at level 5 or 10 or whenever you can get that spell. Disintegrate, also good.

Not that melee is bad or anything, I just always thought it was a huge pain going through the mines and breaking all my weapons on rock dudes (or punching them and healing constantly).

Regardless, the best skills are the thief ones, because then you can burgle all the stores and deck yourself out in sweet equipment and have loads of money early on.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If you go melee or technology path in Arcanum, get the half-ogre & dog NPCs. They are both meat shields & blenders of death in regards to enemies.
Anything killed by a party member gives experience to everyone. The kill log section in Arcanum is pretty weird, for half the game the most Good enemy I killed was a pig.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You killed babe...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

dtkozl posted:

You killed babe...

Who was more powerful than a tattered bowman, apparantly.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Do all game installers have integrity check?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if anyone DID download arcanum remember to get the unofficial patch, the hi res music and townmaps, and the wide screen patch

also heads up these additional fixes are mandatory
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_%26_Magick_Obscura

find the shortcut in the folder ("Launch Arcanum...etc") and after the quote add " -no3d -doublebuffer -scrolldist:0 -scrollfps:70

make sure there's a space after the quote and before the first dash or it won't let you

there's a video with more stuff you can do (replacing your ddraw.dll) here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XYi5ZBVrV0

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Latest sale puts me at 1003 owned GOGs. I've played maybe a dozen. Help.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Commander Keenan posted:

Switch to buying movies !

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keenan posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm at 1115. It certainly doesn't make me feel any better, but if it helps you then by all means go bananas.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Commander Keenan posted:

To stop your library from growing, you could buy me games instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Commander Keenan posted:

You need help and stop buying now. Give me your password and account name, I promise I'll take care of it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've been playing Afterlife

This game would be a dailymail article if it were published today. It's really fascinating and pretty fun if you like city building games.

anyway thats my review cya

buy arcanum or maybe not because it isn't on sale but it's still worth it cya

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mortimer posted:

I've been playing Afterlife

This game would be a dailymail article if it were published today. It's really fascinating and pretty fun if you like city building games.

anyway thats my review cya

buy arcanum or maybe not because it isn't on sale but it's still worth it cya

i have afterlife and it's neat but i can't figure out how to turn a profit

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember a couple years back we all seemed to have too many games and just started buying games for each other in some sort of Christmas-induced buying orgy.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

President Ark posted:

i have afterlife and it's neat but i can't figure out how to turn a profit

The game is heavily dependent on the manual, which GOG doesn't have because Das Mikkenmaus didn't provide it. Thank god for piracy!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I had the manual back in the day, it still was a bitch to turn a profit. I ended up building banks to pay off loans at other banks. It worked, but I'm pretty sure that was not the intended way to run things.

It also doesn't help that the game gives you a way to make things more efficient instantly, but that it costs a ton of money to actually use it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Afterlife is easy if you build hell and nothing but hell and make the entire planet believe they're all going to hell.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I recall you could also induce maximum lust on earth at the very beginning and it would result in people breeding like rabbits and also allowing for basically only building lust punishments.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Switch to buying movies !

I may have already...

JustJeff88 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm at 1115. It certainly doesn't make me feel any better, but if it helps you then by all means go bananas.

It makes me feel like I need to catch up!

elf help book posted:

To stop your library from growing, you could buy me games instead.

double nine posted:

You need help and stop buying now. Give me your password and account name, I promise I'll take care of it.

Here are gift games I have, what do you guys want? I do not know if the codes are still valid.

Age of Wonders
Ultima 7
King of Dragon Pass
Leisure Suit Larry 1-6
Wing Commander 4
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
Witcher 1 (x4)
System Shock 2 (x2)
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (x3)

One pack:
Descent: Freespace Battle Pack
Die by the Sword
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
Shattered Steel
Screamer
VR Soccer '96

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

I may have already...

It makes me feel like I need to catch up!

Here are gift games I have, what do you guys want? I do not know if the codes are still valid.

Age of Wonders
Ultima 7
King of Dragon Pass
Leisure Suit Larry 1-6
Wing Commander 4
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
Witcher 1 (x4)
System Shock 2 (x2)
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (x3)

One pack:
Descent: Freespace Battle Pack
Die by the Sword
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
Shattered Steel
Screamer
VR Soccer '96

I've always wanted to play Under A Killing Moon. I'm also interested in Descent Freespace!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I didn't think you'd call my bluff. I actually have all of those besides Wing Commander. Those are some great games there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing I'm curious about-

Why do some of these games have Mac ports on Steam but not GOG and vice versa? X-Wing and Tie Fighter, for example, have Mac versions on Gog but not Steam, but on Steam I actually just saw La Mulana has a Mac version that GOG doesn't have.

I do have Bootcamp but I don't actually switch that often (since it's a pain as I usually have several documents and browser tabs open because I am not very organized.) It's weird, though. You figure once the owners had a port made they wouldn't limit it to one service. Or is it a tech thing?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Mac version of La Mulana just came out on Steam 2 days ago so maybe it's coming to GOG soon.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I mean if that King of Dragon Pass is just going to waste...... I wouldn't mind it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It probably has to do with licenses. I don't know if GOG has to do any QA or packaging, so depending on what their contact is and when they get specific files for new OS's. Also, they might wait to add new versions when they can do a batch since that could lead to increase sales from the advertising.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm still curious as to why Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is on GOG but Last Crusade isn't, despite both being on Steam for years. I assume that it has something to do with one having the same title as a tie-in film or some such nonsense, but that's just theorycrafting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm still curious as to why Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is on GOG but Last Crusade isn't, despite both being on Steam for years. I assume that it has something to do with one having the same title as a tie-in film or some such nonsense, but that's just theorycrafting.

It still bothers me that for as long as they've had the Sierra/Activision rights, Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist has not yet popped up.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

JustJeff88 posted:

I think I remember Last Crusade having some sort of DRM in its early scenes. I think it was "check the manual and answer that" while having a dialogue with some antagonist. The manual also contained codes and solutions to some important mid- and late game puzzles... Maybe not being on GOG had something to do with it? Although many Sierra games do that as well (eg KQ3 , PQ series) and they are on GOG.

Btw, I always found it a nice touch that on Steam you can download and read the manual for a game even if you haven't bought it. Case in point, you can download the Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade manual from the game's store page.
Why isn't GOG doing that? :(

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Max Wilco posted:

It still bothers me that for as long as they've had the Sierra/Activision rights, Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist has not yet popped up.

Ditto the Conquests games.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

For me it's the Dynamix backcatalog and some of the earlier EA flightsims (Chuck Yeager)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

King of Dragon Pass

He actually did it! Thanks Keenan!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is there a way to see what you've voted on the community wishlist in one place?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Why doesn't GOG have Episode 1 Racer yet? I downloaded a copy of the PC version and it runs really smooth and with no framerate problems when you use a special installer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe the same reason we don't have Full Throttle. Actually for some reason I keep thinking that we don't have Full Throttle yet because they're fixing stuff, every time I have played it through an emulator a lot of the music cues don't work. Sad really because Full Throttle is one of those games that just isn't the same without its soundtrack