Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Otacon posted:

Pathing is pretty horrible to implement, HOWEVER stock floors (and stock stairs) have their own navmesh built in, so you could technically use those and either embed/place on top of the troublesome terrain, using Place Everywhere. I found this mod for Rebuilt Walls at The Castle - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8680/
Seems the best way to help navmesh is putting stuff on the floor, like this mod adds rugs which help pathing, as a byproduct:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9874/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Alright, so if I understand this correctly, if I want the Arbitrarion mod to match vanilla v1.5 Survival damage values, when I (re)install the mod, I need to set the value I deal to 1.5x "normal" values and the value enemies deal to 2x "normal" values? I see that the mod recommends much higher values than these. If I recall, the author recommends 2.5x for player damage and like 5x for enemy damage...but if people are commenting on dying incredibly fast in vanilla Survival mode where the enemies are supposedly only dealing 2x-3x damage, I can't imagine how 5x would play out as anything besides a game of Rainbow Six Terrorist Hunt.

It seems like the mod is relatively popular, but does anybody have any settings that they prefer? I like the idea of less "spongey" players and NPCs, but I'm not a huge fan of ARMA-level damages in games like these.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alright, so if I understand this correctly, if I want the Arbitrarion mod to match vanilla v1.5 Survival damage values, when I (re)install the mod, I need to set the value I deal to 1.5x "normal" values and the value enemies deal to 2x "normal" values? I see that the mod recommends much higher values than these. If I recall, the author recommends 2.5x for player damage and like 5x for enemy damage...but if people are commenting on dying incredibly fast in vanilla Survival mode where the enemies are supposedly only dealing 2x-3x damage, I can't imagine how 5x would play out as anything besides a game of Rainbow Six Terrorist Hunt.

It seems like the mod is relatively popular, but does anybody have any settings that they prefer? I like the idea of less "spongey" players and NPCs, but I'm not a huge fan of ARMA-level damages in games like these.

i'm told arbitration's damage scaling hasn't been updated to work with the new survival mode yet, but that the rest of the mod works fine
iron rose has her own 'create your own difficulty' mode here that works by letting you replace the default damage modifies with whatever you choose. actually, while i'm at it, maybe someone can clear something up for me about this mod???

like, this is the list she gives for how the game works by default with the damage you deal:

quote:

The damage you deal is adjusted as follows:
Very Easy: 2x default damage
Easy: 1.5x default damage
Normal: 1x default damage
Hard: 0.75x default damage
Very Hard: 0.5x default damage
Survival: 0.5x default damage

The reverse holds true for enemies.

Very Easy: 0.5x damage received
Easy: 0.75x damage received
Normal: 1x damage received
Hard: 1.5x damage received
Very Hard: 2x damage received
Survival: 2x damage received

and if you say choose the 2x option for both ingoing and outgoing damage with her mod, it'll set it to 2x default damage regardless of the difficulty you pick.

except there's this note at the bottom about survival mode

quote:

Survival damage is multiplied by:
HC_OutgoingDamageMult (1.5) * HPByPCTSV
HC_IncomingDamageMult (2) * HPToPCTSV

These are then processed by HC_DamageMultPerk, which is a hidden perk that scales an actor's incoming and outgoing damage based upon the above values.

tl;dr: You will deal 150% more damage and take 200% more damage playing on survival than you would on other difficulties!

is this modifier on top of the default game value, i'm assuming it is since the implication seems to be to take this perk into account when choosing your options. So like, by default on survival i'm dealing 150% of half of the default damage value and taking 200% of twice the default damage??? 'cause that seems like very weird rear end-backwards thing for bethesda to do... but then we are talking about bethesda. i'm kind of left not really sure where to gauge what the actual default baseline is for survival

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of modding things I'm annoyed with, it seems like the updated FO4Edit that plays nice with Far Harbor randomly changed so that Constructible Objects can't create OMODs or FLSTs. If you I try to edit either of those with it, it erases the created object field entirely. PS: This is something the vanilla game itself does, so I can't imagine why this change happened.

I mentioned this in the Nexus comments and the only official response was from zilav, and it was "This is prealpha version and the check for accepted forms will be done later."

...I mean, I was under the impression this alpha poo poo was so you could take reported bugs and fix them, but what do I know? I put a ticket in their actual issue tracker anyway because gently caress it, whatever.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 21, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man those textures on the stock are...not great.

But I'm picky, I prefer to go for weapon mods that look weathered and worn vs factory fresh.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It annoys me that the lever action reloads 5 bullets no matter how many you've used. But the animations are snappy and great so I forgive. Has anyone modded the damage up a bit for it yet?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

AriadneThread posted:

i'm told arbitration's damage scaling hasn't been updated to work with the new survival mode yet, but that the rest of the mod works fine
iron rose has her own 'create your own difficulty' mode here that works by letting you replace the default damage modifies with whatever you choose. actually, while i'm at it, maybe someone can clear something up for me about this mod???
Pretty sure this mod was made before the new survival mode too, so the numbers given there refer to the old survival mode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arrath posted:

Man those textures on the stock are...not great.

But I'm picky, I prefer to go for weapon mods that look weathered and worn vs factory fresh.

Personally, I just want the bits that look like a Lee Enfield and other famous bolt action rifles in the Hunting Rifle crafting section as well as the level list. Seems oddly pointless to have multiples of a bolt action rifle now in the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sintax posted:

Pretty sure this mod was made before the new survival mode too, so the numbers given there refer to the old survival mode.

My mod was updated for the new survival version.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of modding things I'm annoyed with, it seems like the updated FO4Edit that plays nice with Far Harbor randomly changed so that Constructible Objects can't create OMODs or FLSTs. If you I try to edit either of those with it, it erases the created object field entirely. PS: This is something the vanilla game itself does, so I can't imagine why this change happened.

I mentioned this in the Nexus comments and the only official response was from zilav, and it was "This is prealpha version and the check for accepted forms will be done later."

...I mean, I was under the impression this alpha poo poo was so you could take reported bugs and fix them, but what do I know? I put a ticket in their actual issue tracker anyway because gently caress it, whatever.

zilav is a gigantic rear end in a top hat so this does not surprise me. Use an older version until that's fixed.

AriadneThread posted:

like, this is the list she gives for how the game works by default with the damage you deal:

and if you say choose the 2x option for both ingoing and outgoing damage with her mod, it'll set it to 2x default damage regardless of the difficulty you pick.

except there's this note at the bottom about survival mode

is this modifier on top of the default game value, i'm assuming it is since the implication seems to be to take this perk into account when choosing your options. So like, by default on survival i'm dealing 150% of half of the default damage value and taking 200% of twice the default damage??? 'cause that seems like very weird rear end-backwards thing for bethesda to do... but then we are talking about bethesda. i'm kind of left not really sure where to gauge what the actual default baseline is for survival

That's correct yeah. You pick your damage multiplier regardless of difficulty. However, if you play on survival, there's also an effect that makes you deal 1.5x default damage and take 2x default damage. This is applied on top (I.e. After) you pick the values from my mod, so take it into account.

The default baseline for survival is thus that you take 4x default normal difficulty damage, and deal 0.75 normal difficulty damage.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

My mod was updated for the new survival version.

zilav is a gigantic rear end in a top hat so this does not surprise me. Use an older version until that's fixed.

That's correct yeah. You pick your damage multiplier regardless of difficulty. However, if you play on survival, there's also an effect that makes you deal 1.5x default damage and take 2x default damage. This is applied on top (I.e. After) you pick the values from my mod, so take it into account.

The default baseline for survival is thus that you take 4x default normal difficulty damage, and deal 0.75 normal difficulty damage.

so it really does work like that??? that just seems like such a weird thing to do on bethseda's part :psyduck:
thanks for confirming though

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Does the Nexus mod manager not communicate with the site to determine whether or not there are new versions of mods out?
It definitely used to do that for Skyrim, where the version column would show, for example, 1.0/1.1, implying I had 1.0 and should update to 1.1.
But I just ran through my mods and discovered I had several that were out of date yet the mod manager didn't show it?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How and why would it look to Nexus when Bethesda.net is where all mods will now be hosted? :v:

I checked their site out this week and it's a miserable experience. At least they didn't close off traditional modding avenues.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zutaten posted:

Does the Nexus mod manager not communicate with the site to determine whether or not there are new versions of mods out?
It definitely used to do that for Skyrim, where the version column would show, for example, 1.0/1.1, implying I had 1.0 and should update to 1.1.
But I just ran through my mods and discovered I had several that were out of date yet the mod manager didn't show it?

I had this issue too.

Green arrow points to a bar that needs to be dragged to show the version column which for some idiotic reason is hidden because it's smooshed together

Red arrow is the Check for Updates button.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Otacon posted:

I had this issue too.

Green arrow points to a bar that needs to be dragged to show the version column which for some idiotic reason is hidden because it's smooshed together

Red arrow is the Check for Updates button.

Thank you! I guess it used to do it automatically back in the Skyrim heyday, but must have changed to a button sometime between then and now.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zutaten posted:

Thank you! I guess it used to do it automatically back in the Skyrim heyday, but must have changed to a button sometime between then and now.

There's an option to set the number of days to check for updates, by default its at 3 days, I changed it to 1 day.

That version column is also where the icon for a new mod update goes!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This looks so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5swLBoWTvPQ

Kinda sad that they went with rusty as gently caress cars though, would be cool to have the colours picked out better against the green, but it still looks good.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

This looks so good.

Kinda sad that they went with rusty as gently caress cars though, would be cool to have the colours picked out better against the green, but it still looks good.

Gonna have to get that one at some point. I think the cars are alright though. Cars left out in the elements get to look like that after about thirty years. After 200, they probably shouldn't even be recognizable as cars anymore, with the majority of the vehicle having completely rusted away and only large masses of metal like the engine and transmission and maybe some frame components left somewhat intact.

Kinda makes the power poles stand out though; they really should have some sort of climbing plant all over them. But still, it looks a whole lot closer to how the world would look 200 years after a nuclear apocalypse wiped out 99.9% of humanity.

edit: Would probably make base building a gigantic pain in the rear end - you'd have grass and poo poo clipping through every floor and wall. Wonder if there's a mod that deletes any ground cover you build over?

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 21, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

OwlFancier posted:

This looks so good.

Okay that looks amazing. The rusty cars makes sense, I've seen worse looking scrapped cars after 10 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does make a lot of sense I just really like the colourful look and the yellow paint on Arcjet looks nice too, would like more colourful highlights in the world. It's perfectly realistic, I'd just rather have colour.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

:doh: So the ticket was just closed with one word from Zilav. "Fixed."

Hard to admit what I reported was actually a bug, was it?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

:doh: So the ticket was just closed with one word from Zilav. "Fixed."

Hard to admit what I reported was actually a bug, was it?

Step-by-step recreate it and reopen the ticket. Be very detailed.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No, he actually fixed it! So I guess the repeated reports of other people helped bug him enough to fix it.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Apologies if this has been covered a million times; I'm just now getting into the FO4 mod scene.

I have a strange issue with Def_UI and Valdacil's Item Sorting. I'm getting all the icons to appear except on weapons and armor (which have no icons or tags). I made sure to select the 'all Dev_UI tags' option when installing VIS but they still didn't seem to show up. I saw someone had a similar issue in the Def_UI Nexus page but failed to mention what he did to fix it (only that he had fixed it).

Here's my fairly short load order (which may be hosed, I couldn't find much help on load orders yet).
http://pastebin.com/MJ00uLUF

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My bad for assuming the worst / most likely scenario.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If it's actually been fixed, what more do you want?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

a written apology

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Modders, particularly TES/Fallout modders have a penchant for being curt and dismissive, but this guy didn't do anything wrong.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As I said above I just assumed he had instantly closed the ticket since he was so dismissive about it recently. Turns out he actually DID fix it so he's less lovely than your average Bethesda modder.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What of the DLC available so far should I get?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How bad are mods about DLC dependancies? I never bought any Skyrim DLC but I never did any Skyrim modding so I never noticed.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Well, something DEFINITELY got screwed up with my game, and I'm left scratching my head on what happened. When I go to target something in VATS, the camera does this weird bobble, where it zeroes in on the enemy, then goes downward almost into the ground, and then zooms way out on the enemy. Every shot (except forced crits) will miss. When I force a crit (or just manage to kill an enemy normally) the enemy corpse is barely affected by gravity, and will either continue moving in the direction it was charging in, or will shoot up into the air a thousand feet.

Only mods I installed since just before this started happening are Build High (which removes settlement boundaries) and the new versions of FDI and Lowered Weapons, so I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wasteland Workshop is just additional settlement stuff, Automatron is a fairly short quest and new random-spawn enemies, and Far Harbor is a giant landmass full of quest goodness. Get Automatron and Far Harbor

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Otacon posted:

Well, something DEFINITELY got screwed up with my game, and I'm left scratching my head on what happened. When I go to target something in VATS, the camera does this weird bobble, where it zeroes in on the enemy, then goes downward almost into the ground, and then zooms way out on the enemy. Every shot (except forced crits) will miss. When I force a crit (or just manage to kill an enemy normally) the enemy corpse is barely affected by gravity, and will either continue moving in the direction it was charging in, or will shoot up into the air a thousand feet.

Only mods I installed since just before this started happening are Build High (which removes settlement boundaries) and the new versions of FDI and Lowered Weapons, so I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Wasteland Workshop is just additional settlement stuff, Automatron is a fairly short quest and new random-spawn enemies, and Far Harbor is a giant landmass full of quest goodness. Get Automatron and Far Harbor

you've neglected to mention that automatron lets you build sick robot followers

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Otacon posted:

I have lowered weapons, seems to be fine so far, but something else is making my game mong out.
...do you have a ui mod? like Def_xx?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

staberind posted:

I have lowered weapons, seems to be fine so far, but something else is making my game mong out.
...do you have a ui mod? like Def_xx?

Nope! But in true fallout fashion, I exited FO4, removed Build Higher, restarted FO4, and the issues are gone. Very strange! Not sure if it was Build Higher doing it, or something else.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

None of them are outright bad, if that's your worry. Automatron is a straightforward questline whose main selling point is being able to craft robot followers (which is actually sorta awesome). Wasteland Workshop is, as the name implies, some stuff for settlements, including some noteworthy convenience stuff like a fusion generator that produces 100 power and a powered water pump that doesn't require a body of water, among some fluff stuff. Far Harbor is a large new landmass with a new questline, weapons, armor, etc. (it's a proper expansion, in other words).

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gonkish posted:

None of them are outright bad, if that's your worry. Automatron is a straightforward questline whose main selling point is being able to craft robot followers (which is actually sorta awesome). Wasteland Workshop is, as the name implies, some stuff for settlements, including some noteworthy convenience stuff like a fusion generator that produces 100 power and a powered water pump that doesn't require a body of water, among some fluff stuff. Far Harbor is a large new landmass with a new questline, weapons, armor, etc. (it's a proper expansion, in other words).

Alright, sounds cool. Automatron is the least interesting of the three to me, but I'd like more robot enemies so maybe I'll pick that up. The other two sound great, I love making settlements and I'd love more #content.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Weaponsmith Extended page on Nexus really confuses me. Where the Hell is the actual mod download link?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the files tab like any other Nexus mod page. There's also that huuuuge list of dependencies.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arrath posted:

On the files tab like any other Nexus mod page. There's also that huuuuge list of dependencies.

There's an entry for Weaponsmith Extended 1.2 on the files tab, but on the main tab it talks about 2.0 (which doesn't exist on the files tab) and a bunch of the patches want 1.0 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Otacon posted:

Sounds like you're running into the maximum height problem. I have the same issue in my 30+ settler high-rise Hangman's Alley. There's mods that will remove the height restrictions - I'll probably end up using this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3528/

Basically, each settlement has a maximum height for FLOOR objects that can be built - while you're able to place a premade floor+ceiling piece, only the floor (and maybe a foot or two above it) is within the maximum height - anything beyond that and YOU can still get up there, while settlers will freeze midway up the stairs.

Like you said, try reworking it a little bit to add a few extra feet of room and see if settlers can get further up the steps.

In case you're curious, I've finally gotten the problem figured it. Turns out it was my old nemesis the doorframe. Pull out the bedroom doorframes and just leave gaping holes in the wall and everyone gets up there just fine.

• Locked thread