Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want Jasper and Murphy to become a comedy duo. They're both pretty funny in different ways; Murphy has Sarcastic rear end in a top hat on lock, leaving Jasper free to resume his original role as Lovable Goofball. Monty as Longsuffering Straight Man is optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I am legit sad that Pike died.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Maybe someone realized they had Monty kill his mom TWICE, and even though they gave him a girlfriend right at the end (which btw no one apologized to Harper for punching her in the face whole bunch of times) maybe having his best friend off himself was going to send Monty spiraling off into PTSD land next season. Which would be a retread of Jasper's plot this season.

But I agree that Jasper's arc had been going toward him accepting and overcoming his pain - or maybe there was just so much going on he didn't have time to mope as much. He didn't want to forget Maya, which is why he avoided the chip, but it seems like he name dropped her when he was chipped so who knows. :shrug: Im glad he's alive!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not the biggest Jasper fan, but I do look forward to seeing what they do with him next. Both options work for me, I just think the first would have been a great ending for him and the season. All of these people having to just accept the choices they've made and try to move on. Stands to reason not all would be able to take the pressure.

This is a great show.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

I am legit sad that Pike died.

Whe Pike saved Octavia I laughed and shouted "Pike Season 4!!!".

I forgot for a second it was the 100.

Also as the seasons final episode you could tell it was edited pretty heavily, it lacked something compared to the last two seasons.

Pretty much what happens when you let drama influence your show.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Where was Jaha getting his unlimited supply of chips from? Did they ever address that?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rurea posted:

Where was Jaha getting his unlimited supply of chips from? Did they ever address that?

They had a chip maker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They had a chip maker.

It was part of the backpack. I guess we have to assume they fixed it after Murphy busted it up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, that's Europe.

And those swirling radiation hurricanes seem to be about the size of France. Good luck Clarke.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

zoux posted:

So, that's Europe.

And those swirling radiation hurricanes seem to be about the size of France. Good luck Clarke.

It isn't like she was actually in space witnessing it. It was all inside the computer program. It isn't necessarily real (but it probably is).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hollylolly posted:

It isn't like she was actually in space witnessing it. It was all inside the computer program. It isn't necessarily real (but it probably is).

With the City of Light's physical location being on the arc, it's pretty likely ALIE was just projecting the image from up there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, I mean that big one there would be enough to already have destroyed the world, right? It would be awesome if they had to go to Europe though. Also, I dunno if I'm reading too much into a SFX shot but it looks like the ocean levels are a lot higher. I'd love it if they delved into the history of the world right before, during and after the apocalypse some, they do great world building.

Does any one know when the episode was shot? I'm wondering if Lexa's much better exit was a reaction to the highly negative fan response to her death or if that was always the intended arc.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

zoux posted:

Yeah, I mean that big one there would be enough to already have destroyed the world, right? It would be awesome if they had to go to Europe though. Also, I dunno if I'm reading too much into a SFX shot but it looks like the ocean levels are a lot higher. I'd love it if they delved into the history of the world right before, during and after the apocalypse some, they do great world building.

Does any one know when the episode was shot? I'm wondering if Lexa's much better exit was a reaction to the highly negative fan response to her death or if that was always the intended arc.

That was always the intended arc. It was shot before her death scene aired.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

esperterra posted:

I think it would have, in the sense not everyone is strong enough to overcome it.

My issue with Jasper's arc is I feel he was already overcoming it. Then all of a sudden he takes a chip off screen because no wait, it's actually still so bad for him he would rather join this AI that was willing to immediately have Raven kill herself once she wasn't useful any more, willing to use Monty's mom as a weapon to the point Monty had to shoot her to stop her, etc.

I can see why the showrunners or network execs, or whoever decided to change it did, but I personally think it would have been a stronger finale overall and a more coherent arc for Jasper if they kept it. It will be really interesting to see how they handle his character next year.

Not to say him living makes the finale bad or anything, and it's nice to see the group end on a happier note for once. Happy as it can be with a the guilt these formerly chipped people are being crushed with.
The only problem is that Jasper breaking and finally taking the chip was all off screen so him committing suicide would be equally unearned, other than the shock value of it happening. You need to show both for them to work properly. Otherwise you just end up with Pike, or any of the other characters that conveniently changed their behaviour for the plot's sake then justified all that off screen stuff in the course of one line.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Do we even know when Jasper was chipped? I kind of thought it was after his short-term ladyfriend died on the oil rig, but there were signs of a chipped spy well before that (and would make sense if he was chipped beforehand how ALIE got the location of the rig in the first place)

And I agree, it just doesn't make sense for his character arc after he vehemently resisted after finding out that Raven's good memories of Finn were being taken away as well as the bad.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 21, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Do we even know when Jasper was chipped? I kind of thought it was after his short-term ladyfriend died on the oil rig, but there were signs of a chipped spy well before that (and would make sense if he was chipped beforehand how ALIE got the location of the rig in the first place)

And I agree, it just doesn't make sense for his character arc after he vehemently resisted after finding out that Raven's good memories of Finn were being taken away as well as the bad.

He was chipped while Luna was being tortured.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I still don't understand how chipped people got on the rig in the first place.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

raditts posted:

I think the drones followed Clarke and the gang to the rig, and then once they knew where it was and who the shore parties were they found them, chipped them, and had them do the rest

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

raditts posted:

It was the same group that brought our team onboard. They went back out to do a supply run or whatever and Allie/some chipped people were waiting for them. Allie knew about them because there had been a drone watching on the shoreline as Clarke and Co were drugged and taken to the rig.

They explain all of that in the episode.

Also, I think people are looking at Jasper's view point wrongly. He didn't take the chip to forget his pain, but rather he took it as a sacrifice to save the Rig and because he believed that death followed the 100 wherever they went. He was probably horrified with what Allie made him do to his friends outside of Clarke but still fundamentally believes that the 100 have been toxic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

The only problem is that Jasper breaking and finally taking the chip was all off screen so him committing suicide would be equally unearned, other than the shock value of it happening. You need to show both for them to work properly. Otherwise you just end up with Pike, or any of the other characters that conveniently changed their behaviour for the plot's sake then justified all that off screen stuff in the course of one line.

I def agree they should have shown Jasper taking the chip-- or given more care to explaining it. There wasn't much time for either unfortunately.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's actually a brief clip of Jasper taking the chip in the Previously On for the finale that didn't air in the actual episode. So they did film a scene, possibly one intended as a flashback given the season's plot structure, and just never aired it.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I get the bad feeling season 4 is going to be bad. Apart from nuclear power plants not turning into swirling infernos when they melt down, it seems like this is the point where original story has run out and now that the show has been such a hit they have to make up new stuff to extend it. I hope I'm wrong though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

There's actually a brief clip of Jasper taking the chip in the Previously On for the finale that didn't air in the actual episode. So they did film a scene, possibly one intended as a flashback given the season's plot structure, and just never aired it.

Probably cut to stuff in as much Lexa footage as they had, oh well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They're at least smart enough to know that Clarke and Raven are the best part of the show - as well as the female characters in general. But it's definitely been a descent in writing, as the season went on.

I've kinda had my fill of angst and PTSD, so I hope Jasper and Bellamy take a backseat in the next season.

And for the love of Pramheda, no levers.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I liked the episode. Having Clarke re-kill people she'd already killed was fun. Her taking like 10 minutes to pull the lever wasn't great. I was kind of interested in the fallout from the chip removal, particularly Jaha, who we didn't really get to see much this episode.

Pike's death was interesting. I like the little fake out and I don't really think he really should have lived to the fourth season. I guess they've redeemed other evil characters, but he seemed a little too far gone.

The "6 months to live thing" was ehhhhhh. I don't really care for it, but I guess they've gotta top the ALIE hive mind threat somehow.

Probably cut to stuff in as much Lexa footage as they had, oh well.

Yeah I thought Lexa really had an egregious number of scenes in those oil rig episodes.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If it was a flashback it would have occurred either in the finale or the previous episode. Showing the scene in the oil rig episode would have ruined the reveal of Jasper being chipped in the following one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If it was a flashback it would have occurred either in the finale or the previous episode. Showing the scene in the oil rig episode would have ruined the reveal of Jasper being chipped in the following one.

Oh yeah. Well, I'm not sure what we really would have gotten from a 3 second scene of Jasper doing something we already knew he did anyway? I was just joking around before, but I also legitimately see no loss here.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh yeah. Well, I'm not sure what we really would have gotten from a 3 second scene of Jasper doing something we already knew he did anyway? I was just joking around before, but I also legitimately see no loss here.

I know it seems like a small thing, but if they were forced to edit in more room for actiony Lexa and gazing into Clarke's eyes, it could possibly have cut into Jasper's character development where we only saw the aftermath of him being chipped. Not knowing when it happened leaves the viewer in the dark, especially when there were already theories of him being chipped before the oil rig episode. At least it makes sense that it happens at that time, because it's another loving colony that he was indirectly responsible for nearly wiping out, and at that point he would have been the most vulnerable emotionally, even after his previous resistance to the chip.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They already directly stated when it happened earlier? Viewers think weird things.

I guess I agree that Jasper taking the chip lacked a certain amount of development, but I also think that's just because the development wasn't ever there. They had him take the chip for plot reasons and chose to use it as a twist because developing it in a straight forward way wasn't really as worth it.

I think if they were going to use that flashback they probably would have used it before the final episode anyway, so there's no reason to weirdly focus on Lexa as the source of this. I assumed you were just joking around as well, but I guess you seriously think they somehow cut half their episode for more Lexa scenes? The show has a history of just ending in the finale and not really getting into the aftermath development, so while disappointing, it seems to basically fit in with their MO.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They already directly stated when it happened earlier?

I think I honestly might have missed this which is causing the confusion in my head. And yeah, it could really just be put up to the fact that the writers are known to pace their episodes for plot and not character development, and they just found themselves with too much on their plate for the 2 part finale.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Season one gave Clark a choice of saving the dropship people from invasion, but likely killing Bellamy and Finn and anybody else stuck outside. Tough choice as any death of the 100 would be super costly and she cared about both these people.

Season two gave Clark a choice of saving skikru, but killing all of the Mt weather people including innocent women and children. Her decision had to hinge on her judgement of which lives were more worth saving, and she had to base the decision on a small group of murderers committing torturous acts to save their people.

Season three gave Clark a choice of saving her people from Alie enslavement. The downside was... what? Something Alie says is going to happen either way regardless of her choice? The chance to die free instead of living as slaves? How is this a moral dilemma, and why would it take more than two seconds for Commander Genocide to pull the lever? It felt super weak and weightless.

Maybe Alie could have played up the fact that she's saving everybody from pain and Clark is going to torture them all to death and cause wars when the pain and guilt floods back in. At least it plays closer to Clark's character than a strategic decision about nuclear power plants or whatever.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ALIE was presenting it as a choice between having your mind live forever or to die in 6 months.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know, you would've thought the people on the Arc would have noticed the giant, continents swallowing radioactive storms prior to descending to Earth - or are we to believe that all of it happened conveniently in the few months these two past seasons span? After 100 years the spontaneous fake-science disaster ended up pretty much perfectly timed to align itself with the show's timeline? Amazing.

Honestly this seson's ending was hot garbage, the final stretch of episodes completely eliminated any chance for the audience of investing themselves into the story by inventing a stream of nonsense plot contrivances and discrepancies that served only to waste everybody's time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

You know, you would've thought the people on the Arc would have noticed the giant, continents swallowing radioactive storms prior to descending to Earth - or are we to believe that all of it happened conveniently in the few months these two past seasons span? After 100 years the spontaneous fake-science disaster ended up pretty much perfectly timed to align itself with the show's timeline? Amazing.

Honestly this seson's ending was hot garbage, the final stretch of episodes completely eliminated any chance for the audience of investing themselves into the story by inventing a stream of nonsense plot contrivances and discrepancies that served only to waste everybody's time.

Couldn't agree more. This was probably the worst episode in the series, imo. Everything was so rushed, nothing was explained, we get a cheapo death literally right at the end, and awful acting from basically everyone(even Raven, like c'mon!)

The best parts were Murphy(of course) and then Jasper's "I didn't feel it" quip to Monty.

My friend and I were pretty disappointed. S04 might be a wait-until-I-can-binge because wow, The 100 seriously dropped the ball here.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The big victory of this season is creating a believable chaotic neutral character, which is extremely hard to do.

Murphy for best character 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Murphy seems more Chaotic Good now to me. He's an rear end in a top hat but I don't think he's done anything outright evil since the whole "getting revenge for trying to hang him on false charges" thing, and that was early season 2 I think?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

ALIE was presenting it as a choice between having your mind live forever or to die in 6 months.

It wasn't even "their mind" though, so much as an easily manipulated, lobotomized facsimile of their mind, which could be altered at any time to suit Alie's whims. They were basically as close as you could get to zombies without being undead. Hardly a moral quandary.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 21, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You got me there, ALIE is evil.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not doing evil is not the same as not doing good. Murphy is not the kind of person who goes out of his way to do the right thing; most of the help he gives during this season is done because he happens to be around and wants to keep on living/not being a zombie.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He decides to do things based on whether or not it will improve his situation. He has no compass of what is good or what is evil, and doesn't care to think about it.

The closest he came to good was stopping Indra from torturing Pike to death, and even that came from a perspective of needing Pike alive to defeat Alie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
It's funny because I thought the actor's character on Continuum was the worst part of that show, but as Murphy he just nails every scene.

• Locked thread