Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SomeMathGuy posted:

99% of the time it's a lovely "two people talk about two week old politics" strip, with a dash of smug self-assurance usually thrown in. I'd call it the left of center answer to Mallard Fillmore but it's not that lazy art-wise. Doonesbury it ain't, though, I tell you what.

You forgot about the Star-Trek references! Hey remember how this character likes Star-Trek? Because he totally does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Told Amos"? Wouldn't have seen it like a bunch of times? Why am I bothering to look for consistency in Brooke's work? Why am I still reading Brooke's work?

You post in USPOL and obsess over Brooke. Seems the question you should be asking is, "Why all the self-loathing?"

Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils - I don’t care if it’s in reruns. This is an awesome strip today.

Big Nate - I don’t care if it’s all new. This is a disgusting strip today.

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set ends on a cliffhanger.

Working Daze makes an rear end out of you and me.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is stuck in a rut.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (March 23, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (November 22-24, 1954)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Sorry if any of these are repeats - I had to reset my Dropbox account, and it hosed things up.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Illustrating Webster

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Stuccojeff
May 2, 2009

Slammy posted:

:stonklol:

I . . . uh, wow.

Is there an explanation to this comic that isn't, "A man was driven insane by improperly ingesting anti-venom and is now trapped in a hellish mental prison from which he may never emerge?"

Why is he stuffed in a sack? Is he naked? What bulbous monstrosity dangles above him from the twisted mockery of a tree?

Please, please post more of these.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Please stop posting this strip. The art is an insult.
Is this a vote for me posting Fort Knox again? Because I will post Fort Knox again if you'd rather have that.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slammy posted:

And He Did.

A single dollar? He'd never have been caught.

quote:

The counterfeiter Emerich Juettner, also known as Edward Mueller, who lived near Broadway and West 96th Street in Manhattan, eluded authorities from 1938 to 1948, longer than any other moneymaker in American history.
The U.S. Secret Service, which has chased counterfeiters since 1865 (protecting presidents became part of their mission only in 1901), first noticed Juettner's activity when a phony $1 silver certificate turned up at a cigar store on Broadway near 102nd Street. Even as the agency opened a new case file, numbered 880, agents felt everything about the bill was unusual. No one in recent times had considered singles worth the trouble to fake. More importantly, the bill was an obvious, laughably bad replica. While American currency was printed on 75% cotton and 25% linen stock, with red and blue fibers of various lengths embedded in the paper, Juettner had used cheap bond paper from some corner store. The numbers were fuzzy, many of the letters were misshapen or illegible, and Washington's portrait was, as the Secret Service itself reported, "poorly executed ... Washington's right shoulder blends with the oval background ... the left eye is represented by a black spot ... the right eye is almond-shaped."
By December 1939, File 880 contained some 600 counterfeits. The printing grew worse with time. While touching up his plates, Juettner misspelled the president's name as "Wahsington." Nonetheless, he kept his home press running throughout World War II - despite successive Treasury publicity campaigns. Apparently many who found themselves the owners of Juettner counterfeits held onto them as souvenirs rather than turning them over to the government.

By 1947, the Secret Service had collected more than $5,000 in Juettner currency. Yet, despite what New Yorker writer St. Clair McKelway called "a manhunt that exceeded in intensity and scope any other manhunt in the chronicles of counterfeiting," despite thousands of interviews and hundreds of thousands of fliers, the agency didn't have a clue to his identity.

http://www.nysun.com/on-the-town/little-old-moneymaker/9282/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slammy posted:

I don't get it. The guy's wife left him and True's a dick to him because... he said so?

Usually there's a pretty good reason why you could side with Everett in most of these, but drat, what a dick.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 21, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Strontium posted:

Is this a vote for me posting Fort Knox again? Because I will post Fort Knox again if you'd rather have that.

It's upsetting to me that you feel required to do something nobody enjoys, but if this is truly the life you want, then live it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ikanreed posted:

I don't get it. The guy's wife left him and True's a dick to him because... he said so?

Usually there's a pretty good reason why you could side with Everett in most of these, but drat, what a dick.

The joke is that Everett True wants a divorce.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ikanreed posted:

Sometimes True is just a complete dick. Example: there was a comic where a guy was just harmlessly playing with his mustache quietly by himself and True beat him up for his troubles. Those are the strips where you're just like, drat, E.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wanamingo posted:

The joke is that Everett True wants a divorce.

Oh. See, I just figured Everett related to everyone in his life through violence, and his relationship with his wife is exactly what he wanted. It didn't even occur to me he might be unhappy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Pretty sure it's more like, "Goddamn, I wish Mrs. True would run away with another man!" She's the only one who can get the best of him in a fight.

Phantom Classic

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The burned faces on the wall are great. The whole sequence where The Stranger was drawing the faces and searing them was chilling, and the crudeness of the drawings makes it even spookier. In the first storyline, The Stranger was intelligent, methodical, and had a really clever plan that just happened to fall apart completely. Now he's so consumed with hatred that his tactics have devolved to "grab them and burn them." A+ "Radio Patrol" Great Job

Radio Patrol

I don't even think the Stranger is planning to hurt the kid right yet. I'm pretty sure the plan was to wait on that until he had Sargent Pat and the girlfriend tied up as well before beginning the torture so that Pat can witness it all. But Stranger wants to wake Pinky up anyway so that the kid has more time to get extra scared and upset and really think about what's going to happen to him and his friends. Pinky's not even the one the Stranger is pissed at! This is really hosed up and this storyline should be held up to anybody who thinks comics today are too gross and we should go back to the good old days when comics were wholesome.

I had such low expectations of Radio Patrol when I started posting it and now it's one of my favorite comics I post.

Big Ben Bolt

I hope this means we're about to see Big Ben Bolt box somebody!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Selachian posted:

Candorville

Is the candorville guy really having a dead guy spout :biotruths: ?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gloomy Rube posted:

Is the candorville guy really having a dead guy spout :biotruths: ?

Are you not familiar with the comic?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 28, 1951)

Barnaby (October 3, 1942)

Nancy (June 12, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 23, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 24, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 7, 1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Odonata posted:

Gasoline Alley

Hey, this guy isn't cracking his knuckles. Is it even the same person as yesterday? Confusing!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

For some reason I looked up the origins of Worry Wart and that phrase comes from an Out Our Way character. Sorry if you guys discussed this and this is ancient news.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nancy

I'd post my other usual comics, but this is all you need to see

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The Sphinxster posted:

For some reason I looked up the origins of Worry Wart and that phrase comes from an Out Our Way character. Sorry if you guys discussed this and this is ancient news.

Williams just started using it in my posting timeline. You're watching a historic catchphrase unfold in real time.

Skippy (March 23, 1929)

Peanuts (May 24, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

The punchline: Modern American culture is saturated in dread and suspicion, traveling under the disguise of security. These young people only have vague memories of any other way, assuming that wasn't an illusion to begin with. Have a great weekend, everybody!

Cancershaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 19-20, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 9, 1929)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How loving long has this "guy hates his mom" storyline been going on?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Squishy posted:

How long has Batuik been a cartoonist?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Here we go again!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

TRUMP.

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Illustrating Webster

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Random Political Cartoon from 1916

TRUMP.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 24, 1969)

Out of curiosity I looked up my university's current tuition. It's $16K+ a term now. Cripes!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I do not trust that elephant to hold office.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Stuccojeff posted:

Is there an explanation to this comic that isn't, "A man was driven insane by improperly ingesting anti-venom and is now trapped in a hellish mental prison from which he may never emerge?"

Why is he stuffed in a sack? Is he naked? What bulbous monstrosity dangles above him from the twisted mockery of a tree?

He's been told that taking the stuff is dangerous if you've not been bitten/stung by something, so he has wrapped most of himself up and is now kicking what I assume is some sort of bee/hornet nest. Why he's preferentially taking those stings on his feet I have no idea.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Three weeks. It feels like longer.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Start posting Fort Knox again so your comics posts can be a singularity of garbage

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dark Side of the Horse isn't nearly as bad as the rest of those, in my opinion.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

I'd post my other usual comics, but this is all you need to see

It's funny because Sluggo is a child who lives in such poverty while his guardians gently caress off to truck across the west that he needs to take lawn mowing jobs to survive.

Luann

The Luann approach is literally the Tiffany approach we saw the last time she and Piro appeared together. Christ, Tiffany is such a bitch. Luann's a total sweetie-pie, though. I hope she finds herself.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Note MJ wearing the universal look every woman has when she runs into her old boyfriend while out with her new boyfriend.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I see in the grand tradition of royalty and richies everywhere, he intends to have his wife for money and lineage reasons and keep a mistress he actually likes. Stick it out, Eve! Maybe one day he'll pull a Prince Charles!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
0 degree feather paddles are terrible for your wrists.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Dark Side of the Horse isn't nearly as bad as the rest of those, in my opinion.

It's not, it's pretty middle-of-the-road. But the rest.... the rest...

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

goatface posted:

0 degree feather paddles are terrible for your wrists.
Reading this with no knowledge of kayaking and having forgotten there was a paddling storyline going on right now was a pretty surreal experience.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm so sick of hearing about that turkey thing. Franklin did not seriously suggest the turkey as our national bird, he was trying to say that just about anything would be preferable to the eagle.

God drat it, Ripley's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Slammy posted:

Random Political Cartoon from 1916

TRUMP.

No, Hughes who lost to a Democrat, Wilson. It could have been LaFolette, who was a progressive Republican. Instead we got Wilson, who reversed desegregation of Federal buildings, and screened "Birth of a Nation" in the White House.

• Locked thread