Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's very simple: you have another sector that neighbors the door that has its ceiling at floor level (or lower).

See, when a door opens up, it looks for the lowest neighboring ceiling, subtract some value (4 IIRC) from that, and moves up to there. So let's say you have two doors that touch each other: door 1 has floor 0, ceiling 0; door 2 has floor 0, ceiling 0, the surrounding rooms may have floor 0, ceiling 256 for all we care it doesn't matter. You open door 1, it looks for lowest neighboring ceiling, since door 2 is a neighboring sector the lowest neighboring ceiling is at 0, so door 1 will then proceed to raise up to 0 - 4: it moves up to a lower height. When a sector moves up to a lower height, or down to a higher height, the movement is instantaneous.

Ohh, okay, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Back when I was getting into making Duke 3D maps, it took me a bit before even stuff like making a door made sense to me. Lots of trial and error. I messed around a bit in Doom Builder it seems pretty similar in how that stuff works.

Speaking of Duke 3D, it's funny with all the insane graphics today, FPS games generally don't bother to have working mirrors. The upcoming Deus Ex doesn't for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EItVj0eshqM&t=34m36s. The new DOOM also has bathrooms with broken mirrors that don't reflect the player. But at least they did have flushing toilets (auto flushing), so Duke would approve.

Granted Duke 3D sort of faked mirrors with a fun thing where you actually make a sector behind the mirror. But I remember games like No One Lives Forever etc had mirrors that worked, wonder why they don't try to make that work in a lot of FPS games these days.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 21, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Games nowadays don't make use of mirrors with full reflections because it basically requires rendering the entire scene another time for each mirror the player can currently see. A lot of games occlude stuff that's behind the player because it's not in view so it doesn't have to be rendered, but if there's a mirror in a room obviously you're gonna be able to see what's behind you and so it takes up a loooot more resources. The old method of just duplicating the room doesn't really work either because they'd have to rig up an entire second player model to correspond to the first one's movements which is probably pretty difficult given the complexity of character animations and such. For a recent example, there are only two fully working mirrors in Uncharted 4, and the reason it doesn't grind the game to a halt is because it's in a bathroom that's fairly small, out of view of any of the other rooms.

IIRC the Shadow Warrior remake does fully reflective mirrors, but that game was coded by wizards from the elemental plane of computers so that's not so surprising.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Since in DOOM and the new Deus Ex they're both small bathrooms without enemies, they should've made them work, for the Duke. It is fitting that the Shadow Warrior devs made it work. If the toilets don't flush in Deus Ex I'm gonna have to ask for a refund.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

IIRC the Shadow Warrior remake does fully reflective mirrors, but that game was coded by wizards from the elemental plane of computers so that's not so surprising.
Europe, CJacobs. It's called Europe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In the mod Doom: the Golden Souls there's a clever (if cliché) bit with mirrors. In a haunted castle map there's a bedroom where you see some evil gremlin on some furniture when you look at the mirror, but when you turn to look at it directly you see nothing. Look back to the mirror, the gremlin's still there. In fact it's just turning invisible when you want to look at it, so shoot it anyway since you know where it is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

I should make a chex map, because I have fond memories of blasting flemoids back to their own dimension.

Though I could have sworn that when I was a kid the Flembrane stayed oriented forward like a wall rather than always facing you. Musta been by imagination.

In the original version of the original CHEX.EXE. there was some minor engine change to make that enemy always look to be part of the wall and not turn to face you.

When you load it up in regular DOOM.EXE or the various source ports, that's not present, so it seems to rotate like any other object.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The JPCP also did a clever with mirrors, if I'm remembering it correctly, where you need to shoot the switch in a reflection to make it work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thyrork posted:

The JPCP also did a clever with mirrors, if I'm remembering it correctly, where you need to shoot the switch in a reflection to make it work.

Yeah. I've only done ten or so levels from the JPCP so far but that one stood out. It was really clever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaUm163IWsM

My first ever Doom level is playable! :toot:

Things still to do:
- Put stuff in those empty rooms
- Mass prettyfication of basically everything
- Add pickups/barrels
- Tweak that last encounter because the enemy placement causes them to kinda bum-rush you which is not so fair when you only have the SG
- Tweak for harder difficulties
- Music and soundscape stuff

I am also considering extending the player start hallway a bit backward, with some enemies, so that you don't get the SG literally immediately.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
What are some good DOOM replacement musics? I'd like some that are mp3/ogg or whatever rather than MIDI ish stuff

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

CJacobs posted:

Things still to do:
- Add pickups/barrels
- Tweak that last encounter because the enemy placement causes them to kinda bum-rush you which is not so fair when you only have the SG

I am also considering extending the player start hallway a bit backward, with some enemies, so that you don't get the SG literally immediately.

Good Job :cabot:

I used to make Doom (and Marathon, and Avara) maps when I was a kid and after messing with SnapMap I'd rather make maps for Doom 2 instead.

This GZDoom Builder looks easier to use than Hellmaker back in the day

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Things still to do:
- Add pickups/barrels

Pretty good for a first map ever! Needs some texture and lighting variety, but you've already earmarked that on your to-do list and that's something you can do after the fact.

I should make a new map! I started a Heretic map today, did some basic geometry, then looked at the tiny, TINY amount of textures (165 compared to Doom 2's 572!) and went "gently caress this".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Kins posted:

Pretty good for a first map ever! Needs some texture and lighting variety, but you've already earmarked that on your to-do list and that's something you can do after the fact.

I should make a new map! I started a Heretic map today, did some basic geometry, then looked at the tiny, TINY amount of textures (165 compared to Doom 2's 572!) and went "gently caress this".

Good thing there are plenty of texture packs out there, including some that fit with the Heretic aesthetic. :getin:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Just want to throw this up here, since I found it relatively amusing:

DoomWorld Editing tutorial posted:

There are a few downsides of GZDoom Builder. First, it is only available for Windows. Second, it requires a relatively fast computer, at least compared to most Doom source ports' system requirements.

GZ Doom Builder Manual posted:

System requirements:
2.4 GHz CPU or faster. (Multi-core recommended).
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10.
Graphics card with Pixel Shader model 2.0 support.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Heretic's texture set is small but remarkably versatile! I remember someone once made a convincing "desert ruin" map using only one wall texture from Heretic (SNDPLAIN I believe).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LogicalFallacy posted:

I mean, 2.4GHz multicore processors are relatively fast. The emphasis is on "relatively" - you need a computer built in the last half a decade to run it, it won't just run on your first-gen netbook like you'd expect the level editor for a game from 1993 to do. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LogicalFallacy posted:

There's a non-zero number of players out there who can't use more recent versions of GZDoom because their GPUs can't handle OpenGL 3.0, which was introduced in 2008.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

c0burn posted:

What are some good DOOM replacement musics? I'd like some that are mp3/ogg or whatever rather than MIDI ish stuff

There's one for Doom 2 that I really like: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/dimxmus it's rock/metal arrangements of the original soundtrack, but done quite differently than :rock: DOOM METAL* FOR BRUTAL DOOM :rock:, with more emphasis on Bobby Prince's weird jazz-prog-rock tendencies.

*this name always irks me, that addon has nothing to do with the noble musical subgenre

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Heretic's texture set is small but remarkably versatile! I remember someone once made a convincing "desert ruin" map using only one wall texture from Heretic (SNDPLAIN I believe).
It's true, it is very versatile! You can create a tomb, a cupboard, a bathhouse or another tomb!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

It's true, it is very versatile! You can create a tomb, a cupboard, a bathhouse or another tomb!

My favorite one is that second tomb you mentioned :)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
People don't give Bobby Prince enough credit IMO. Sure, Wrack was a bust, and he's known for stealing more than his fair share of melodies, but some of Doom's best music are the pieces where Prince wasn't cribbing thrash metal. Sign of Evil, The Demons from Adrian's Pen and Nobody Told Me About Id are oozing with emotion and atmosphere. Wondering About My Loved Ones from Wolfenstein 3D is a haunting elegy, and Oasis from Commander Keen 4 is full of raw jazzy blues distilled into AdLib FM.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

fishmech posted:

In the original version of the original CHEX.EXE. there was some minor engine change to make that enemy always look to be part of the wall and not turn to face you.

When you load it up in regular DOOM.EXE or the various source ports, that's not present, so it seems to rotate like any other object.

I just tried it in chex.exe, it turns just like it does in other engines.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Things still to do:
- Add pickups/barrels

Yeah this is a pretty great first map. I really like how you varied up the layouts and tried a few different things with the secret, the switch, the keycards, and the chainsaw monster closet. Lots of creativity going on.

I think its a good start, if you really care about this map now you can go back and vary up the textures and lighting and add a few more barrels and other thing type decorations, or you could just treat that as a learning experience and try something else.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

The Kins posted:

This is pretty cute, but I'm not a big fan of some of the design decisions (like having the automap be a wall texture :wtf:) and the sound design outside of the nice licensed music is just bad. It's a cute little distraction, at least.

A little late, but I think the map thing might have been a reference to good ol' Ken's Labyrinth.

I dunno if your spot actually moved on the map as you did though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

People don't give Bobby Prince enough credit IMO. Sure, Wrack was a bust, and he's known for stealing more than his fair share of melodies, but some of Doom's best music are the pieces where Prince wasn't cribbing thrash metal. Sign of Evil, The Demons from Adrian's Pen and Nobody Told Me About Id are oozing with emotion and atmosphere. Wondering About My Loved Ones from Wolfenstein 3D is a haunting elegy, and Oasis from Commander Keen 4 is full of raw jazzy blues distilled into AdLib FM.

For once I have to agree with you. Sign of Evil is the best Doom song, period.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Don't know if it's the best, but it's alright. Sinister is probably my favorite of the slower Doom 1 songs. The Imp's Song is close up there, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arivia posted:

For once I have to agree with you. Sign of Evil is the best Doom song, period.

E1M8 has always been my favorite doom song. The thrash metal is cool for getting pumped about shooting demons, but sign of evil hits you right when you've been playing the game for a few hours and you're starting to really feel properly "knee deep in the dead", wading through the endless corpses.

Its just such a badass song. Doomguy walks out into the sunset, shotgun in tow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Replaying through the whole of Doom 1 right now and I still don't like the level design in any of the episodes after Knee Deep.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

The Kins posted:

There's a non-zero number of players out there who can't use more recent versions of GZDoom because their GPUs can't handle OpenGL 3.0, which was introduced in 2008.

I wanted to elaborate on this, as it's a huge part of how I got into the doom community in the first place. The relative ease with which you can play Doom on Zdoom or Prboom and the small size of the wads are both really important aspects that get overlooked a lot. I grew up in (relatively) the middle of nowhere with satellite internet (or dial up), so being able to download entirely new megawads of only a few megabytes to play on my poo poo-tier desktop was an enormous benefit. I really appreciate how approachable the community and game are in almost every respect.

I guess my point is that while 99% of the user base can run GZDoom Builder (or equivalently higher tech stuff), it's an often overlooked demographic that can't, and those of us who can't really appreciate the variety of tools and ports. :unsmith:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zaphod42 posted:

E1M8 has always been my favorite doom song. The thrash metal is cool for getting pumped about shooting demons, but sign of evil hits you right when you've been playing the game for a few hours and you're starting to really feel properly "knee deep in the dead", wading through the endless corpses.

Its just such a badass song. Doomguy walks out into the sunset, shotgun in tow.

The hell music in Doom 2016 signs off with a modern rendition of sign of evil in the calm after fights. It's such a great little touch

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Touchfuzzy posted:

Don't know if it's the best, but it's alright. Sinister is probably my favorite of the slower Doom 1 songs. The Imp's Song is close up there, too.

Bobby Prince was definitely a lot better with the slower, creepier stuff. Sinister is my favourite along with Demons on the Prey (which was good enough to find its way into all four episodes)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Movac posted:

This evening I learned just enough about scripting ZDoom to hack together restart.wad, so I thought I'd share it in case someone else finds it useful. It's a very small utility WAD that adds (a) a keybinding to restart the current map from a pistol start, and (b) a variable ("quickrestartondeath") that you can set to automatically pistol-start the current map when you die rather than loading an autosave. It should work perfectly with any custom weapon mods, so feel free to add it to your autoload list. It won't get along with multiplayer though, or any hub-based games or WADs that keep world state across level loads.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks very much for making this and sharing it. Will go into my standard Doom autostart WADs now :)

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Replaying through the whole of Doom 1 right now and I still don't like the level design in any of the episodes after Knee Deep.
I've never been a fan of any of the levels after the first couple in The Shores of Hell. Thy Flesh Consumed owns though.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

laserghost posted:

There's one for Doom 2 that I really like: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/dimxmus it's rock/metal arrangements of the original soundtrack, but done quite differently than :rock: DOOM METAL* FOR BRUTAL DOOM :rock:, with more emphasis on Bobby Prince's weird jazz-prog-rock tendencies.

*this name always irks me, that addon has nothing to do with the noble musical subgenre

thanks!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inferno is pretty bad all around, too. I mean, who the gently caress thought those eye-gouging textures in Mt Erebus would be a good idea

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for the kind words, fellow Doom mappers. Question about Doom Builder (GZDoom Builder specifically): Why can't I click and drag Things? In order to move a Thing I have to cut and paste it manually, but in the tutorials I've seen people have clicked and dragged them like they're any other part of the map.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Right click and drag. (Silly non-standard controls!)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jia posted:

Inferno is pretty bad all around, too. I mean, who the gently caress thought those eye-gouging textures in Mt Erebus would be a good idea

Inferno is the best episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LogicalFallacy posted:

Right click and drag. (Silly non-standard controls!)

Thanks, I am a dumbass :downs: