Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That toilet gif should actually be made into a full race in Starbound, call it "The Developers"

You've got a toilet, which represents everyone working on the game, and then you have the lovely toilet from the gif, which represents Tiy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm still amazed the OP of this thread has more effort put into it than the actual game

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm still amazed the OP of this thread has more effort put into it than the actual game

Bullshit, man. Effort spent taking the fun out of the game is still effort. It's a labor of stupid, abusive love.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What if I say quality instead of effort

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oddium posted:

close this thread until something funny happens thanks

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I was sad that I was in London for the past few weeks and never once randomly looked up and saw the Chucklefish logo on an office building. I did see the King offices in London though, makers of actual feature-complete game Candy Crush Saga. You go, King.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Its not a kink, its a way of life. why cant people understand this?
Exact same thing happened at my coming out as toilet transformation fetishist party

Did you plan the whole thing out? Show your parents a slides how of what your kink is like that guy who told his family about cockvore?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

I can assure that this is not the case

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rrussom posted:

Kinkshaming is a real goddamn thing and you are all assholes for making light of it.

This is a Safe Place

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Here's my opinion:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

Did you plan the whole thing out? Show your parents a slides how of what your kink is like that guy who told his family about cockvore?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone please kill this thread so the same 3 people don't keep masturbating in it

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm i disagree

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

During release me and my friends committed a solid 40 or 50 hours to this game. We had fun, got bored, moved on, and chucklefish seemed to indicate the game wouldn't change meaningfully except for systems i didn't care about. The game that came out on release was okay. I've tried to play it since and I understand why people don't like it, but I also don't get the insane vitriol in this thread. It's just slightly shittier space terraria. Interstellaria is also a good game worth a decent chunk of time.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Tiy killed me irl and I'm out for revenge

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

hemophilia posted:

Interstellaria is also a good game worth a decent chunk of time.

Did they ever fix the unfun gameplay? Because I tried playing that on release and couldn't bother to leave the tutorial planet.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Did they ever fix the unfun gameplay? Because I tried playing that on release and couldn't bother to leave the tutorial planet.

I just really love the concept, and the story is a cool mystery thing. Managing a ship, exploring with a crew. The combat is super atrocious. I guess I spoke too freely, it's not a good game, but I liked it, and I could forgive the weak systems for the things that were excellent about it.

it's basically what the space parts of Starbound should be. It feels like someone just forked from what they were doing for Starbound. I don't know if that's the case, but the ships, ship upgrades, space combat, and story all feels cohesive, and then planetside felt unfinished, like that was actually supposed to be starbound.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

hemophilia posted:

During release me and my friends committed a solid 40 or 50 hours to this game. We had fun, got bored, moved on, and chucklefish seemed to indicate the game wouldn't change meaningfully except for systems i didn't care about. The game that came out on release was okay. I've tried to play it since and I understand why people don't like it, but I also don't get the insane vitriol in this thread. It's just slightly shittier space terraria. Interstellaria is also a good game worth a decent chunk of time.

I think it's just like with any other game, some people get invested in the development because it shows potential and then feel betrayed when it disappoints them. To anyone who just came across it, Starbound's the kind of game they'd pick up, play for a few hours and move on. But when we announced in 2012 the whole narrative was that it was meant to replace Terraria and do everything bigger and better, so people drank the kool aid and jumped on the hype train. A lot of promises were made on the developers behalf that led them to think it'd be far better than it ended up being. People are bitter because some of them have been following the game's development for 4 years only to be left feeling cheated and then told what they should think fun is. I really don't blame them and honestly it's a testament to the gaming community that they didn't collectively shriek "WHAT THE gently caress?!" when we released what we did in 2013 after everything we promised.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

I think it's just like with any other game, some people get invested in the development because it shows potential and then feel betrayed when it disappoints them. To anyone who just came across it, Starbound's the kind of game they'd pick up, play for a few hours and move on. But when we announced in 2012 the whole narrative was that it was meant to replace Terraria and do everything bigger and better, so people drank the kool aid and jumped on the hype train. A lot of promises were made on the developers behalf that led them to think it'd be far better than it ended up being. People are bitter because some of them have been following the game's development for 4 years only to be left feeling cheated and then told what they should think fun is. I really don't blame them and honestly it's a testament to the gaming community that they didn't collectively shriek "WHAT THE gently caress?!" when we released what we did in 2013 after everything we promised.

I get that! Because, I did that exact thing. The thing is, terraria stuck around in waves. me and friends would conquer 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and forget about it until one of us pointed out an update was coming.

Starbound early access felt like another point release to me and those friends. It was just terraria with space ships and varied biomes. It was, until terraria 1.3, a terraria replacement. That there hasn't been another point release sort of moment, and that the game is actually worse than what launched for early access, is weird as gently caress and terrible, but I got my money's worth. None of my friends feel cheated.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

Tiy also bought into the hype and thinks he made something amazing when he's actually made a shiny turd. It looks pretty, but underneath the shine it's still a turd.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slime posted:

Tiy also bought into the hype and thinks he made something amazing when he's actually made a shiny turd. It looks pretty, but underneath the shine it's still a turd.

To be honest I thin that's why the game is "mostly positive" on Steam. It looks fantastic and, at the start, feels like you do, in fact, have a gigantic, weird galaxy to explore.

The problem is that the things that people actually wanted the game for are gated to hell and back behind stupid, boring, tedious crap that I doubt most people are going to keep interested long enough to see. Plus the "ZOMG!!! MILLIONS OF MONSTERS!!!!" thing turned out to be a huge lie simply because everything just looks different but is functionally the same. The combat is probably the worst part; it's gotten continually worse for most of the existence of the game.

Yeah I had some fun with it but all the fun things are gone and it seems like Tiy decided that the game just needs to be a boring, tedious grind to...well, nowhere really. The thing that makes it such a huge let down is the wasted potential. The internet threw a huge bag of money at him to make Space Terraria in Space. Instead we got...well...this.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

hemophilia posted:

I get that! Because, I did that exact thing. The thing is, terraria stuck around in waves. me and friends would conquer 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and forget about it until one of us pointed out an update was coming.

Starbound early access felt like another point release to me and those friends. It was just terraria with space ships and varied biomes. It was, until terraria 1.3, a terraria replacement. That there hasn't been another point release sort of moment, and that the game is actually worse than what launched for early access, is weird as gently caress and terrible, but I got my money's worth. None of my friends feel cheated.

You're one of the more level headed gamers - the attitude I saw when dealing with complaints/bad reviews was the first thing they'd look at was how many hours they'd spent on the game and if it was more than 20 or 30, they'd decide that the game had obviously been good enough to play for that long and hence they'd gotten their moneys worth, and their complaint would be categorically ignored. As a developer it wasn't an outlook I necessarily agreed with personally but on an objective level it isn't incorrect, so all the more power to consumers who see it that way. The opposite end of the spectrum are the people coming off the precedent set by Terraria, a sandbox you could pour potentially thousands of hours into, only for Starbound to present a cookie cutter progression that basically stares at you and go "what? I'm done" once you reach the end of it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rhopunzel posted:

You're one of the more level headed gamers - the attitude I saw when dealing with complaints/bad reviews was the first thing they'd look at was how many hours they'd spent on the game and if it was more than 20 or 30, they'd decide that the game had obviously been good enough to play for that long and hence they'd gotten their moneys worth, and their complaint would be categorically ignored.

So, uh, what about a player who spent very little time? Did they ignore that too?

If not then this is the opposite of the usual dismissal.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So, uh, what about a player who spent very little time? Did they ignore that too?

If not then this is the opposite of the usual dismissal.

Pretty much the only refunds I saw given were to make an example of a troublesome person on the forums or reddit. Basically "there we refunded you so stop spreading bad poo poo about our game". Everything else we were instructed to tell people that it was our policy not to issue refunds, and complaints were pretty much universally ignored unless it matched up with a preexisting opinion.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If someone is invested in your game to the point of putting a combined total of two days or so worth of play time, that should be of value. The person wants to keep playing what you make, and are invested in a brand you control. They are the people who buy Chucklefish Games on purpose later on. They buy expansions and DLC. But it seems like what was valued instead was some Brad McQuaid esque vision for a game that wasnt an addictive treadmill with social aspects that keeps people coming back. I didnt trust interstellaria and had to see a friend play it. Stardew being attached to chucklefish was off putting. I had fun with starbound but ive not commented on the devloper much, he seems kind of retarded.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Ignoring complaints from people with lots of hours sunk in the game is utterly stupid in general, and extra stupid for a game like Starbound. Starbound is the kind of game people want to play with their friends. Someone who's sunk 20-30 hours into it is quite likely to get their friends to try it out too, which means more sales. Dismissing their complaints means putting off potential customers by proxy.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I think there are very few people in this thread who genuinely are boiling with anger towards starbound :rolleyes:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

I think there are very few people in this thread who genuinely are boiling with anger towards starbound :rolleyes:

I think the people here are less boiling with anger and instead just plain find it funny to poo poo all over a bad game. Emotion doesn't carry well on the internet and what can seem like FROTHING RAGE can instead just be regular old contempt.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Im mad

mad about Starbound!!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Slime posted:

I think the people here are less boiling with anger and instead just plain find it funny to poo poo all over a bad game. Emotion doesn't carry well on the internet and what can seem like FROTHING RAGE can instead just be regular old contempt.

when that's all this thread ever is, it's hard to split people holding a serious but laughable grudge against a video game and just typical making GBS threads on it and the weird developer

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
I think where they dropped the ball the hardest wasn't the progression (yes, it's bad), or the itemization (also bad), but the exploration. When the beta first came out, finding a village or a temple was really cool! Until you realize every single one of them is the same, and none of them have anything worthwhile to find outside of furniture and boring chest drops..

Then, they introduced those underground buildings to break up the tedium of mining, and that was, again, really cool! Then you realize they don't have very of these buildings and their planet generator just copy/pastes them all over the place so suddenly that neat building you found is that 20th identical neat building you found. They're also really :effort: compared to the original surface buildings/villages you could find.

I really wish they reached out to their fanbase for buildings with contests and such, and added them to the game over time. Mods exist but they're still too cumbersome to deal with in multiplayer (and why would you play a game like this solo?) because they haven't bothered giving servers the ability to serve mods to people so you have to install mods for any server you visit manually, and any mod conflicts cause the server to crash instead of just kicking the player :lol:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

Im mad

mad about Starbound!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

Im mad

mad about Starbound!!

this except people posting about starbound

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slime posted:

I can't get mad about the $15 I spent on the game. I really, really just can't.

Conversely at this point I'm not going to buy whatever next thing Chucklefish/Tiyuri comes out with because it's apparent that Tiy has no clue what he's doing. I think that's probably the biggest thing that he isn't thinking about; yeah people threw literal millions of dollars at him based on "HOLY poo poo OH MY GOD I WANT SPACE TERRARIA IN SPACE!!!" and apparently he decided that every decision he made after that was automatically right while finding excuses to ignore any and all criticism.

Then the stupid poo poo he pulled on the business side of things is on the level of "yeah I'm not giving more money to this guy." He's basically shot himself and his business right in the foot. Sad, really; he got some talented, passionate people on board with the project then both screwed them over and attached their names to a garbage fire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i once spent $15 on towns for some reason so really at this point it can only go uphill. at least chucklefish is pretending to be working on starbound, and $15 is the price of a decent meal at a restaurant when out with friends so in the grand scheme of things Who Gives A poo poo. i just like making fun of tiy for being a ween.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Johnny Joestar posted:

i once spent $15 on towns for some reason so really at this point it can only go uphill. at least chucklefish is pretending to be working on starbound, and $15 is the price of a decent meal at a restaurant when out with friends so in the grand scheme of things Who Gives A poo poo. i just like making fun of tiy for being a ween.

good then you've come to the right place

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Starbound taught me the value of having a plan.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The only Early Access game where I've been legitimately mad and felt cheated was Space Base DF-9. A game that's still a feature incomplete alpha that doublefine released with Steam workshop and a modding kit. The game had a LOT of promise but I've never been more angry at video games when they said it was "gold"/feature complete, told the community that if they wanted something to mod it in and go gently caress yourself.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm still weirdly looking forward to seeing how 1.0 pans out. Some of the dumber things I didn't like sound like they are going away, like single-biome planets and the weird tier system.

I should probably get checked for a concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
just loaded up starbound for the first time in ages and a good third of my inventory turned into "generic object". neat.

i'll give it another go once 1.0 hits, i suppose.

• Locked thread